• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NASA predicts alien life could be found by 2025

Spike

Reaction score
Bolstered by a flurry of recent discoveries, NASA scientists believe they could find evidence of alien life in the universe as early 2025.

Much of the excitement has been around the discovery of water in so many unexpected places. Several planets including Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune (and their moons) are believed to possess water in their atmosphere and interiors and the five icy moons of Jupiter and Saturn have shown strong evidence of oceans beneath their surfaces.

"I'm going to say we are going to have strong indications of life beyond earth within a decade and I think we are going to have definitive evidence within 20 to 30 years," Ellen Stofan, NASA's chief scientist, said at a lecture Tuesday.

"We know where to look. We know how to look," she said. "In most cases, we have the technology and we are on the path to implementing it. So, I think we are on the road."

Jeff Newmark, NASA's interim director of heliophysics, predicted it was a matter of "when, not if" for the discovery of life beyond Earth.

"The pace of our discovery is amazing," he said. "We will be visiting Pluto, the last of the planets that we haven't seen. With Solar Probe Plus, we will be visiting our nearest star in a few years. We're just continuing to discover what is out there."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-predicts-alien-life-could-be-found-by-2025/

-=====================================

It's obvious, the alien overlords have given the puny earthlings permission to reveal their presence

You know if the government is telling you about something ...they know

****. Go to Cleveland, they found alien life in the Browns stands years ago. Morons who eat dog biscuits, brag about minor league championships and have their team named after the color of Dawg ****.

IMO, that comment by Ellen Stofan is a bit self-promoting. Her suggestion that we know where to look and and how to look is short-sided. Hell, we just recently learned of "alien" life on this planet that is not carbon-based. So, who knows where to look, or how to look? I'm of the opinion that Mars did have water, but some cosmic event ****** that planet all to hell. Probably some comet or ObamaCare did it in. I think we'll find microbes alive in certain places in our solar system that will be "living" in a sense, but nothing like E.T. or the Reptilians. Those will come at a later date when we rudely and arrogantly invade their worlds, touching off our future destruction and eternal enslavement where they harvest our blood and body fluids in the same way that The Matrix movies did with the human bodies.

IMO, that comment by Ellen Stofan is a bit self-promoting. Her suggestion that we know where to look and and how to look is short-sided. Hell, we just recently learned of "alien" life on this planet that is not carbon-based. So, who knows where to look, or how to look? I'm of the opinion that Mars did have water, but some cosmic event ****** that planet all to hell. Probably some comet or ObamaCare did it in. I think we'll find microbes alive in certain places in our solar system that will be "living" in a sense, but nothing like E.T. or the Reptilians. Those will come at a later date when we rudely and arrogantly invade their worlds, touching off our future destruction and eternal enslavement where they harvest our blood and body fluids in the same way that The Matrix movies did with the human bodies.

Sounds like a night in Ybor City

What he's trying to say, is the truth about Roswell will be revealed by 2025.

I thought NASA had been tasked with making Muslims feel better. ? Who told them to go snoopin' around for aliens on another planets too ?

I always wondered how religion would respond to the discovery of life on other planets since religion has earth as being the center of the universe.

I thought NASA had been tasked with making Muslims feel better. ? Who told them to go snoopin' around for aliens on another planets too ?

Based on the current ME situation, must admit another rousing Obama success.

NASA also predicted the end of Arctic sea ice from global warming. It is a shame what that institution has become.

Ice on Mars: Mars has belts of glaciers consisting of frozen water

Mars distinct polar ice caps, but Mars also has belts of glaciers at its central latitudes -- between the blue lines, in both the southern and northern hemispheres. A thick layer of dust covers the glaciers, so they appear as the surface of the ground, but radar measurements show that there are glaciers composed of frozen water underneath the dust.

150408102701-large.jpg

"We have looked at radar measurements spanning ten years back in time to see how thick the ice is and how it behaves. A glacier is after all a big chunk of ice and it flows and gets a form that tells us something about how soft it is. We then compared this with how glaciers on Earth behave and from that we have been able to make models for the ice flow," explains Nanna Bjørnholt Karlsson, a postdoc at the Centre for Ice and Climate at the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Copenhagen.

"We have calculated that the ice in the glaciers is equivalent to over 150 billion cubic meters of ice -- that much ice could cover the entire surface of Mars with 1.1 meters of ice. The ice at the mid-latitudes is therefore an important part of Mars' water reservoir," explains Nanna Bjørnholt Karlsson.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150408102701.htm

Here's hoping that we never find life on other planets. Because if we ever do find life, our government will surely start sending $$$$ to them.

Actually they are heading the worldwide conspiracy to convince people that man made climate change is real in order to destroy capitalism and tax Rush Limbaugh to death, you know..what they dreamed of while taking all those physics classes.

Actually this is old news ( 2 to 3 years old) I don't know why NASA is bringing it up again. Simple probability tells us it's a given we will find life,and find it in abundance.

That's right. My bad. It's the Antarctic ice that is growing. The Earth is becoming icy on one side and watery on the other because of man made global warming.

Do you like ice cream? Isn't it funny how if you add rock salt to fresh water ice cubes it gets really cold and freezes up the milk and cream in the center?

I learned this in junior high. Amazing what you can learn and then pull back out of your mind 35 years later...if others here pulled their heads out of their backsides imagine what they could also learn.

I like ice cream.. and knowledge!

Also the Arctic is mainly an ocean and Antarctica a continent..... neato!

IMG_3487.JPG

Last edited:
You mean Star Trek and Lost In Space weren't real?

Simple probability tells us it's a given we will find life,and find it in abundance.

See also: The famous Drake equation, which should give us the number if intelligent species out there… the only problem is we have literally no idea what numbers to put in for some of those variables.

Regardless, the number is high enough that we should probably have contacted some aliens already —*the fact we have not is the root of the Fermi paradox.

Last edited:
See also: The famous Drake equation, which should give us the number if intelligent species out there… the only problem is we have literally no idea what numbers to put in for some of those variables.

Regardless, the number is high enough that we should probably have contacted some aliens already —*the fact we have not is the root of the Fermi paradox.

I was thinking of life as in bacteria or other simple organisms that evolved into sentient but not necessarily self aware creatures.

Having said that there are some independent variables that might not have been included by Fermi and Drake( I'm not sure I'd have to read up). Things like the asteroid strike that caused earlier animals to die off and the rise of modern animals to take place with the primate line eventually producing humans would be hard to quantify.

Then there is the moon affecting our gravity, the outer bigger planets absorbing most of the asteroid strikes that would have screwed our atmosphere up.
This was known in Drake's time but like I said I'm not too familiar with what he accounted for.

Do you like ice cream? Isn't it funny how if you add rock salt to fresh water ice cubes it gets really cold and freezes up the milk and cream in the center?

I learned this in junior high. Amazing what you can learn and then pull back out of your mind 35 years later...if others here pulled their heads out of their backsides imagine what they could also learn.

I like ice cream.. and knowledge!

Also the Arctic is mainly an ocean and Antarctica a continent..... neato!

IMG_3487.JPG
Isn't it funny how when a model completely fails, instead of discarding the premise, you contort yourselves to explain in the context of that same premise? I guess all those genius climate modelers who had the Antarctic ice shrinking lacked junior high level knowledge as well.

Do people really believe the burning of millions of tons of fossil fuels don't affect the planet?

The issue I have is so many people are arguing over that fact that no one wants to realistically talk about what's next. We aren't stopping the use of fossil fuels. Christ, if anything the last 10 years have exposed so much MORE fossil fuels for us to burn, that alternate energy sources aren't touching the price of fossil fuels for a while.

The environmentalists can preach about carbon emissions until their lungs bleed, but there are BILLIONS of people (China, India, Africa) that will continue to use fossil fuels like crazy to reach economic goals. And nothing is going to change that.

The problem I have is instead of running around like Chicken Little and proclaiming the sky is falling and mass extinction if right around the corner, let's admit that mankind will DEAL WITH IT. We aren't going extinct (quite the contrary it seems). No matter what nature seems to have in store for us, man keeps propagating like no species ever.

Will global climate change cost TRILLIONS of dollars? You bet. Will species become extinct. Yep. Will parts of our country (and many others) have to change WHERE they grow food and how? Will some areas that seem great to live now become not so great in the future? Of course.

The problem I have with the naysayers is their failure to understand mankind is willing to CHANGE. If New Orleans floods for good one day, another city will rise from it's swamp. Eventually the cost to repair a place will be too great and that city/history will disappear The rising oceans will mean thousands of coastline will be lost, but there will still be "coastline", just not in the same place. Species that can adapt to these incredibly quick changes will survive and those that can't will die. New species will evolve to fill the gaps (or man will artificially take their place).

Climate change is real. The science is too great to deny. But I have yet to hear a strong argument that man and civilization will not adapt in some way, shape or form.

Last edited:
Climate change is real. The science is too great to deny. But I have yet to hear a strong argument that man and civilization will not adapt in some way, shape or form.
This crap is the antithesis of great science.

Do people really believe the burning of millions of tons of fossil fuels don't affect the planet?

Some probably but not anything close to the effects of one major volcanic eruption. Do we try to put put filters on volcano s next ?

Climate change is real. The science is too great to deny. .

Bullshit...stick to football Del, that's your strong suit

Last edited: