• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL QB's

Reaction score
There aren't very many guys on the planet that really are good enough to be starting NFL QB's. With that said, how many of the starters do you feel will be starting next year? I'm thinking 7- 9 changes next year. Baker was one I'm unsure about, I hope they bring him back, but he's been pretty bad. I'm not talking about guys who switch teams, I mean guys who start that will not next year.

• Baltimore Ravens: Lamar Jackson--Yes
  • Buffalo Bills: Josh Allen--Yes
  • Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow--Yes
  • Cleveland Browns: Baker Mayfield--No
  • Denver Broncos: Teddy Bridgewater--No
  • Houston Texans: Davis Mills (Tyrod Taylor out with an injury)--No to both
  • Indianapolis Colts: Carson Wentz--Yes
  • Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence--Yes
  • Kansas City Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes--Yes
  • Las Vegas Raiders: Derek Carr--Yes
  • Los Angeles Chargers: Justin Herbert--Yes
  • Miami Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa--Yes
  • New England Patriots: Mac Jones--Yes
  • New York Jets: Zach Wilson--Yes
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger--No
  • Tennessee Titans: Ryan Tannehill--Yes
  • Atlanta Falcons: Matt Ryan--Yes
  • Arizona Cardinals: Kyler Murray--Yes
  • Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton (Sam Darnold out with injury)--No to both
  • Chicago Bears: Justin Fields--Yes
  • Dallas Cowboys: Dak Prescott--Yes
  • Detroit Lions: Jared Goff--Yes
  • Green Bay Packers: Aaron Rodgers--Yes
  • Los Angeles Rams: Matthew Stafford--Yes
  • Minnesota Vikings: Kirk Cousins--Yes
  • New Orleans Saints: Taysom Hill (Jameis Winston out with injury)--No to Hill, Yes to Winston
  • New York Giants: Mike Glennon (Daniel Jones out with injury)--No to Glennon, Yes to Jones
  • Philadelphia Eagles: Jalen Hurts-Yes
  • San Francisco 49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo-No
  • Seattle Seahawks: Russell Wilson-Yes
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Tom Brady-Yes
  • Washington Football Team: Taylor Heinicke (Ryan Fitzpatrick out with an injury)-No to both

Garropolo might be worth a look by the Steelers.

He has some flaws, but he's probably better than Rudolph.

Some say Carr is coming here,......... I don't think so.

Salute the nation

Weird topic. Not sure if anyone cares about 31 other teams QB's.

Tier 1: Franchise QBs
-Baltimore, Lamar Jackson
-Buffalo, Josh Allen
-Cincinnati, Joe Burrow
-Kansas City, Patrick Mahomes
-Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers
-Seattle, Russell Wilson
-Tampa Bay, Tom Brady

Tier 2: Good QBs/Future Stars
-LA Chargers, Justin Herbert
-Tennessee, Ryan Tannehill
-Atlanta, Matt Ryan
-Arizona, Kyler Murray
-Dallas, Dak Prescott
-LA Rams, Matt Stafford

Tier 3: Can win with help
-Cleveland, Baker Mayfield
-Indianapolis, Carson Wentz
-Las Vegas, Derek Carr
-Miami, Tua Tagovailoa
-New England, Mac Jones
-Minnesota, Kirk Cousins
-Philadelphia, Jalen Hurts

Tier 4: Veteran Placeholders/Young and Underwhelming
-Detroit-Jared Goff
-New Orleans, Jameis Winston (Tier 5 without Winston)
-NY Giants, Daniel Jones
-Washington, Taylor Heinicke

Tier 5: Need a Replacement
-Pittsburgh, Ben Roethlisberger (Tier 4 with Mason Rudolph)
-Carolina, Cam Newton/Sam Darnold

Tier 6: Rookie/Young QB
-Houston Texans, Davis Mills
-Jacksonville, Trevor Lawrence
-NY Jets, Zach Wilson
-Chicago, Justin Fields
-San Francisco, Trey Lance (I assume he's their guy next year)

This puts at least six teams that could possibly draft a QB early.

If we draft a QB and I emphasize if, I really think the nod goes to NC’s Sam Howell. Steelers brass seem to really like him and have spent plenty of time scouting Sam.
I don’t like drafting a QB in this draft and think the emphasis needs to be OL and DL.
Sign either Trubisky or Mariotta instead.

Nice breakdown. The only change I would make is to put Dak in tier 1 and Lamar in tier 2 simply because Dak runs to buy time to throw, or when it's a must have. Lamar is a better runner than a passer which I think takes him out of the best of the best.

Nice breakdown. The only change I would make is to put Dak in tier 1 and Lamar in tier 2 simply because Dak runs to buy time to throw, or when it's a must have. Lamar is a better runner than a passer which I think takes him out of the best of the best.
I put Lamar in the top tier because he does have an MVP and has really helped lead Baltimore to a lot of success. Whether it is his arm or legs, he's been very good for the Ravens. Dak is right on the border for me.

I put Lamar in the top tier because he does have an MVP and has really helped lead Baltimore to a lot of success. Whether it is his arm or legs, he's been very good for the Ravens. Dak is right on the border for me.
Lamar Jackson had the mvp year and his stats got progressively worse every season since… he will be a long term boondoggle for that team like cam newton or Michael Vick.

Carr is woefully underrrated.. he should have been a pro bowler this season and look at all the raiders drama they had to deal with… id take carr over LJ and laugh all the way to the playoffs

As for young guys that could use a change of scenery, Daniel Jones is the guy… he has the green flags for a slower developing guy that could be franchise caliber dude that his team may give up on for odd reasons… the front office and coaching staff is getting shuffled … there is a big chance that Russell Wilson ends up in New York this off-season… and if not they may take a qb in the draft making jones expendable… that would be worth a mid round pick in hopes he takes the Drew Brees route with him taking off around year four

Some say Carr is coming here,......... I don't think so.

Salute the nation
PreGruden being canned Carr had some moments of solid football. I can think of worse choices... like one red nosed reinhere. I think Tua could be moved not that I want him. I don't think they will give up on Mayfield yet not that I want him either. Wilson and AR could be moved and are attractive options not that I don't favor AR.

Tier 1: Franchise QBs
-Baltimore, Lamar Jackson
-Buffalo, Josh Allen
-Cincinnati, Joe Burrow
-Kansas City, Patrick Mahomes
-Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers
-Seattle, Russell Wilson
-Tampa Bay, Tom Brady

Tier 2: Good QBs/Future Stars
-LA Chargers, Justin Herbert
-Tennessee, Ryan Tannehill
-Atlanta, Matt Ryan
-Arizona, Kyler Murray
-Dallas, Dak Prescott
-LA Rams, Matt Stafford

Tier 3: Can win with help
-Cleveland, Baker Mayfield
-Indianapolis, Carson Wentz
-Las Vegas, Derek Carr
-Miami, Tua Tagovailoa
-New England, Mac Jones
-Minnesota, Kirk Cousins
-Philadelphia, Jalen Hurts

Tier 4: Veteran Placeholders/Young and Underwhelming
-Detroit-Jared Goff
-New Orleans, Jameis Winston (Tier 5 without Winston)
-NY Giants, Daniel Jones
-Washington, Taylor Heinicke

Tier 5: Need a Replacement
-Pittsburgh, Ben Roethlisberger (Tier 4 with Mason Rudolph)
-Carolina, Cam Newton/Sam Darnold

Tier 6: Rookie/Young QB
-Houston Texans, Davis Mills
-Jacksonville, Trevor Lawrence
-NY Jets, Zach Wilson
-Chicago, Justin Fields
-San Francisco, Trey Lance (I assume he's their guy next year)

This puts at least six teams that could possibly draft a QB early.
I think Herbert has already shown enough to be in tier 1

I think Herbert has already shown enough to be in tier 1
You can swap him with Jackson IMO. Prescott and Stafford are borderline franchise QBs, I am finding it difficult to keep Stafford out of tier 1. Guy probably gets knocked for that horrific Lions team but is showing his true worth with a team that isn't a perineal scrub. Not sure that team is making any QB look good.

Last edited:
Totally disagree. He isn't very good and is hurt all the time. He will cost significantly more and could get you a couple extra wins to sit in the middle again.
For me his injuries is what holds him back. If you can't stay healthy you can't get your team to the promised land. For that reason alone makes me his the pause button.

PreGruden being canned Carr had some moments of solid football. I can think of worse choices... like one red nosed reinhere. I think Tua could be moved not that I want him. I don't think they will give up on Mayfield yet not that I want him either. Wilson and AR could be moved and are attractive options not that I don't favor AR.

Wilson or AR would be huge and should either happen they will be touted STEELERS players that I will root for.

A caution goes out though as to the "cost" of either. If that cost is to much so as the OL or DL can not be heavily invested into,...... it won't matter and a wasted aquisition.

Salute the nation

Wilson or AR would be huge and should either happen they will be touted STEELERS players that I will root for.

A caution goes out though as to the "cost" of either. If that cost is to much so as the OL or DL can not be heavily invested into,...... it won't matter and a wasted aquisition.

Salute the nation
They are sitting pretty money wise that and being able to manipulate the cap when needed should make them players in free agency where they could address RG and RT. Have you seen the deer commercial I just need to be faster than you? The one deer says to the other. Steelers don't have to target the top OLinemen. They just shouldn't be their normal bottom feeders. Get upgrades at RT, RG, NT, and DE. Then address C, etc. in the draft.

They are sitting pretty money wise that and being able to manipulate the cap when needed should make them players in free agency where they could address RG and RT. Have you seen the deer commercial I just need to be faster than you? The one deer says to the other. Steelers don't have to target the top OLinemen. They just shouldn't be their normal bottom feeders. Get upgrades at RT, RG, NT, and DE. Then address C, etc. in the draft.

I fully agree on high investent in draft or "STARTER" FAs, it's just Wilson or AR could eat up both and leave us short. It will play out and hopefully they have the answers either way.

YOU and I both know the OL & DL needs to be addressed and if that don't happen................................ well you're currently seeing what will happen.

Salute the nation

I fully agree on high investent in draft or "STARTER" FAs, it's just Wilson or AR could eat up both and leave us short. It will play out and hopefully they have the answers either way.

YOU and I both know the OL & DL needs to be addressed and if that don't happen................................ well you're currently seeing what will happen.

Salute the nation
Sure adding one of them would cost but I don't think to the point that it is handcuffing their free agent approach if they spend wisely. That is where the biggest problem resides. In their ability to make the right decisions. You can see if you look back they either failed to address a position adequately or brought in the wrong free agent.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you put Russell Wilson anymore and if the Steelers are considering that move I'd say pass for sure. He always used to play mediocre for three quarters and then throw the Superman cape on in the fourth. Increasingly the cape has been in the cleaners. I'm also hoping the Ravens think exactly the same way about Jackson as you. After they make him a top 5 paid qb in this league they are ******. And ****** for about 5 years after the next two where they can backload his salary.

Sure adding one of them would cost but I don't think to the point that it is handcuffing their free agent approach if they spend wisely. That is where the biggest problem resides. In their ability to make the right decisions. You can see if you look back they either failed to address a position adequately or brought in the wrong free agent.

Definately hear what you are saying.!

They acted last year that the OL rookies would be starters and didn't have adequate depth there similar to DL & ILB (the lame BUSH wasn't accounted for).

Salute the nation

A decent QB like Carr or Tannehill with a great running game and elite Defense can win it all. I would be fine with Carr coming over at. decent price and signing a great free agent guard and CB or ILB. Then draft BPO O line.

Last edited:
There aren't very many guys on the planet that really are good enough to be starting NFL QB's. With that said, how many of the starters do you feel will be starting next year? I'm thinking 7- 9 changes next year. Baker was one I'm unsure about, I hope they bring him back, but he's been pretty bad. I'm not talking about guys who switch teams, I mean guys who start that will not next year.

• Baltimore Ravens: Lamar Jackson--Yes
  • Buffalo Bills: Josh Allen--Yes
  • Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow--Yes
  • Cleveland Browns: Baker Mayfield--No
  • Denver Broncos: Teddy Bridgewater--No
  • Houston Texans: Davis Mills (Tyrod Taylor out with an injury)--No to both
  • Indianapolis Colts: Carson Wentz--Yes
  • Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence--Yes
  • Kansas City Chiefs: Patrick Mahomes--Yes
  • Las Vegas Raiders: Derek Carr--Yes
  • Los Angeles Chargers: Justin Herbert--Yes
  • Miami Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa--Yes
  • New England Patriots: Mac Jones--Yes
  • New York Jets: Zach Wilson--Yes
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger--No
  • Tennessee Titans: Ryan Tannehill--Yes
  • Atlanta Falcons: Matt Ryan--Yes
  • Arizona Cardinals: Kyler Murray--Yes
  • Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton (Sam Darnold out with injury)--No to both
  • Chicago Bears: Justin Fields--Yes
  • Dallas Cowboys: Dak Prescott--Yes
  • Detroit Lions: Jared Goff--Yes
  • Green Bay Packers: Aaron Rodgers--Yes
  • Los Angeles Rams: Matthew Stafford--Yes
  • Minnesota Vikings: Kirk Cousins--Yes
  • New Orleans Saints: Taysom Hill (Jameis Winston out with injury)--No to Hill, Yes to Winston
  • New York Giants: Mike Glennon (Daniel Jones out with injury)--No to Glennon, Yes to Jones
  • Philadelphia Eagles: Jalen Hurts-Yes
  • San Francisco 49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo-No
  • Seattle Seahawks: Russell Wilson-Yes
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Tom Brady-Yes
  • Washington Football Team: Taylor Heinicke (Ryan Fitzpatrick out with an injury)-No to both
Well done. But I'm thinking no to Miami and Tagovailoa. I think Watson will end up there.