• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Nick Saban to retire

paul-rudd-water-split.gif

bahahah! y-you think there's even a sliver of a chance that alabama, the mighty crimson tide, is going to entrust their program to prime time neon-deon???

berm, you a funny dude
Not a chance in hell. They will give it to someone who is an up and comer. A X and O juggernaut.

They should consider Mike anyway.

Bama is not a better job than Georgia. If smart actually wants to coach Bama for personal reasons, he could move but there’s no football reason to move.

Bama is a step down from Texas. Sarkisian would be crazy to leave. Texas has more money and has the best recruiting area and now they play in the SEC.

Lane Kiffin. Good fit. Big name. Can recruit SEC area. Will have to pay a ton to pry him away.

Dabo. Has the big name and is a Bama alum. Has fallen off the last few years.

Dan Lanning. Good coach. Oregon joining Big 10 and has that Nike money behind him. Could have opportunity to dominate west coast recruiting.

Urban Meyer. Can’t count him out.

Bill O’Brien. won coach of the year at Penn State. OC at Bama. Super Bowl rings. Not sure he wants to be a college HC. Probably wait for another NFL gig.

James Franklin. Great recruiter. Won at Vanderbilt.

Kalen DeBoer Washington HC. Great coach doing more with less. No ties to south but Bama recruiting is strong on its own

Mack Jones. Big time coach who won in the south. Not sure he’d want to leave the cushy relatively low pressure job at UNC

Lance Leipold Kansas. Built up programs at Buffalo and Kansas.

Bama is not a better job than Georgia. If smart actually wants to coach Bama for personal reasons, he could move but there’s no football reason to move.

Bama is a step down from Texas. Sarkisian would be crazy to leave. Texas has more money and has the best recruiting area and now they play in the SEC.

Lane Kiffin. Good fit. Big name. Can recruit SEC area. Will have to pay a ton to pry him away.

Dabo. Has the big name and is a Bama alum. Has fallen off the last few years.

Dan Lanning. Good coach. Oregon joining Big 10 and has that Nike money behind him. Could have opportunity to dominate west coast recruiting.

Urban Meyer. Can’t count him out.

Bill O’Brien. won coach of the year at Penn State. OC at Bama. Super Bowl rings. Not sure he wants to be a college HC. Probably wait for another NFL gig.

James Franklin. Great recruiter. Won at Vanderbilt.

Kalen DeBoer Washington HC. Great coach doing more with less. No ties to south but Bama recruiting is strong on its own

Mack Jones. Big time coach who won in the south. Not sure he’d want to leave the cushy relatively low pressure job at UNC

Lance Leipold Kansas. Built up programs at Buffalo and Kansas.
Stop it

He would. I feel they would be a perfect fit.
Berm would be able to still keep his coach should Tomlin go to Bama.
Berm & Paul would feel right at home. There’s a certain buddy of Mike’s that is looking for a new job as OC.
Perhaps he could bring him along for the ride.

Dabo isn't a big NIL guy from what I've read. He seemed like the No. 1 choice years ago, not so sure now.

I've seen Smart, Lanning, DeBoer, Sarkisian, and Kiffin all mentioned. Any favorites out of this group? Prime would be a really interesting choice.
My insiders are saying Dabo or Deion...

As circus music is heard in the background.

My insiders are saying Dabo or Deion...
I would be surprised if it isn't Sarkesian or Lanning who lands the job. Dabo hasn't been doing well in the recruiting nor in the portal to be relevant, but he's on the bubble. Deon brings with him a great circus and I don't believe Alabama is interested in theatrics.

I would be surprised if it isn't Sarkesian or Lanning who lands the job. Dabo hasn't been doing well in the recruiting nor in the portal to be relevant, but he's on the bubble. Deon brings with him a great circus and I don't believe Alabama is interested in theatrics.
What has Deion even done that screams he would be a great candidate. I am not even sure he is a good one...

What has Deion even done that screams he would be a great candidate. I am not even sure he is a good one...
Deion is showman and I believe he is a good Coach. He isn't a fit at all for Alabama, at least I don't see it. And you're right, He's still proving his coaching chops at the D1 level. Hasn't been through the gauntlette long enough to see a "body of work" to quote MT

There's no way Alabama hires Deion... that's just outside speculation dreamed up by the same talking heads that regularly throw stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks.

Colorado went 4-8 this year, losing the final 6 in a row. They just had the 57th ranked recruiting class. During the season, he blamed his OC and fired him. Can't imagine many coaches wanting to work for him. You can't get 50 guys from portal every year. He's riding Justin Hunter and not much else.

But he got them a deal for sunglasses. So there's that.

Penn State just got 2 blue chip CB transfers from Georgia and Florida. They needed that depth after losing top 3 CB to the NFL. Maybe PSU got their act together with the NIL program.

Nick Saban was in Daytona Tuesday and signed a CB (a musician friend of mine's little brother). Tank Dell is from the same high school and was coached by another friend of mine, lol. So, me and Tank's coach are debating who gets the Bama job...I posited DeBoer...money!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this high school (Mainland) won the state championship this past season. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
I think DeBoer is a bad fit. His brand of football won’t win long term in the SEC.
It looks like they just went with the hot hand. Sometimes that works out and sometimes that doesn't.