• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Not going to lie....a bad night for the Steelers.

In Ben We Trust

Reaction score
I am optimistic that Shazier will be good player for us but I am just depressed over how well the first night of the draft went for the remaining teams in the AFC North. Cleveland begins the night looking like fools trading out of the spot that produced Sammy Watkins but then a couple hours later they end up with a stud corner, a QB that you just know is going to be a player, and a first round pick in 2015 from a mediocre Buffalo team. Not to mention the fact that they still have early picks to go in every remaining round this year. Then you have the Ravens selecting a good linebacker in Mosley, and the Bengals getting the guy everyone said we were taking at 15 at 24. Not a good night for Steelers fans.....just my opinion.

I am optimistic that Shazier will be good player for us but I am just depressed over how well the first night of the draft went for the remaining teams in the AFC North. Cleveland begins the night looking like fools trading out of the spot that produced Sammy Watkins but then a couple hours later they end up with a stud corner, a QB that you just know is going to be a player, and a first round pick in 2015 from a mediocre Buffalo team. Not to mention the fact that they still have early picks to go in every remaining round this year. Then you have the Ravens selecting a good linebacker in Mosley, and the Bengals getting the guy everyone said we were taking at 15 at 24. Not a good night for Steelers fans.....just my opinion.

Since when do we measure what the Steelers do with the rest of the AFC North.....especially in the draft. I don't like the front office decisions every time......but I'd sure as hell wouldn't trade places with any other team in the division. We don't know how these picks will pan out as of yet. We can only speculate as to what kind of value each team got. Would I be off base saying that Shazier is the best player out of the group you named regardless of where they were drafted? We'll see on the field.

Hmmmmmmm

Since when do we measure what the Steelers do with the rest of the AFC North.....especially in the draft. I don't like the front office decisions every time......but I'd sure as hell wouldn't trade places with any other team in the division. We don't know how these picks will pan out as of yet. We can only speculate as to what kind of value each team got. Would I be off base saying that Shazier is the best player out of the group you named regardless of where they were drafted? We'll see on the field.

You seem to be forgetting that they are the browns. They'll do what they always do. Squander real talent they get.

What year does Johnny Foosball start for the Raiders?

I think Gilbert will bust and bust hard. I wanted no part of him. Soft, soft, soft, and if you're going to be Deion and avoid contact like the plague, you'd better be a shutdown corner, and I don't see much of that potential in Gilbert. For a guy who's supposedly an athletic marvel of a CB, he's very stiff. That's made even worse by his happy feet. I'm thrilled the Browns blew another high pick.

Dennard might be a solid player for the Bengals. I think he has very limited upside, and quite frankly, might never become a high-level player at all. Lots of limitations there, and not just his 40.

Mosley is a massive injury case. Even if he stays healthy and pans out to his max level, he plays Arthur Brown's position, so the Ravens wasted either last year's 2nd or this year's 1st. Or both.

If you ask me, the Bills and Vikings got the better of the Browns and the better players. Johnny Jagoff running around against the Rats and Bunghole Ds (and maybe Steelers if they improve)? Yeah, good luck with that. Won't be as many defenders loafing in this league as the second and third rates he went up against in college and there won't be a giant at WR bailing his *** out with jump balls.

Last edited:
I think Gilbert will bust and bust hard. I wanted no part of him. Soft, soft, soft, and if you're going to be Deion and avoid contact like the plague, you'd better be a shutdown corner, and I don't see much of that potential in Gilbert. For a guy who's supposedly an athletic marvel of a CB, he's very stiff. That's made even worse by his happy feet. I'm thrilled the Browns blew another high pick.

Dennard might be a solid player for the Bengals. I think he has very limited upside, and quite frankly, might never become a high-level player at all. Lots of limitations there, and not just his 40.

Mosley is a massive injury case. Even if he stays healthy and pans out to his max level, he plays Arthur Brown's position, so the Ravens wasted either last year's 2nd or this year's 1st. Or both.

"Massive" injury case? Yes, he's had some, but that is a "massive" over statement. He had a tough injury in the Championship game 3 seasons ago. The following year, had to come back from it, then last year played the whole season and played at a high level.

Trust me, the Browns screwed the pooch on this one. Johnny Football is by far the most overrated draftee in my lifetime! He will flat out suck at the pro level. Look how many times he is leaning back (if not knocking himself on his own ***) when he's passing! That's an easy pick waiting to happen. Mechanically speaking, the guy's a joke. He's also the worst example of a "leader" I've seen in years. He will be out of the league by year 4.

Johnny is going to be a lot better than everyone thinks. His only problem is he won't last long 5-6 yrs but they will be very good years. Browns did good with that pick

"Massive" injury case? Yes, he's had some, but that is a "massive" over statement. He had a tough injury in the Championship game 3 seasons ago. The following year, had to come back from it, then last year played the whole season and played at a high level.

Since 2011, he has dislocated his elbow, dislocated his hip, undergone labrum surgery, and now might have a knee issue. Yikes. That averages out to a major injury per year.

As of now, I agree it was a bad night for us. We reached for a guy that was not a need. We needed a starting CB and WR. After round 1, we still need a CB and WR. All we got was a small but fast LB that probably won't sniff the field in 2014 unless it is on special teams. I hope I'm wrong but to be competitive this year, we need to head back out into free agency to fill our immediate needs at CB and WR.

Funny thing is, I'm not sold or Worilds either. We may or may not sign him to a long term contract. He may turn out to be a good LB. But, as of now, we could be looking to draft another OLB in the 1st round next year if Worilds doesn't sign long term or if he plays like he did early last year and the previous years.

Shazier was on thr phone with the Cowboys when the Steelers drafted him...

Wexell summed it up pretty well here.

@jimwexell: Mosley's older and slower than Shazier, and CJ's a medical wreck by comparison. An ambulance can only go so fast.

Honestly we couldn't have made a better pick. Wait and see.

Wexell summed it up pretty well here.

@jimwexell: Mosley's older and slower than Shazier, and CJ's a medical wreck by comparison. An ambulance can only go so fast.

Honestly we couldn't have made a better pick. Wait and see.

Haters! Most of you don't realize Johnny broke a lot of records in yes the SEC. The dude can play ball no question. The records he broke were PASSING records you guys act like he's run first Tebow guy. That simply isn't true. He owns more Passing records than Any other SEC QB!

Jeepers, its hard to say, exactly how our pick's future will play out. Some here, don't think we have any more draft picks. Others are writing this kid off, with out even playing a down. Patience, process, time, are all tell tale signs, lets let them happen.

Salute the nation

Haters! Most of you don't realize Johnny broke a lot of records in yes the SEC. The dude can play ball no question. The records he broke were PASSING records you guys act like he's run first Tebow guy. That simply isn't true. He owns more Passing records than Any other SEC QB!

You're right, he's right up there with Tim Couch, Rex Grossman, Jared Lorenzen, Danny Wuerfell, David Green, Chris Leak, JeMarcus Russell, Quincy Carter, Tim Tebow, John Parker Wilson... What were we all thinking? College passing records GUARANTEE NFL success!!

You're right, he's right up there with Tim Couch, Rex Grossman, Jared Lorenzen, Danny Wuerfell, David Green, Chris Leak, JeMarcus Russell, Quincy Carter, Tim Tebow, John Parker Wilson... What were we all thinking? College passing records GUARANTEE NFL success!!

Boom! (10 chars)

IF the Clowns play Johnny D-Bag, he will have a decent/successful year as rookie.
He will make plays with his feet/escapability, as Cleveland has a pretty decent O-Line.
Then teams will have tape on him and he will get snapped in half in the pocket.
Johnny's pro career won't see year 5 as a starter and he'll be added to the list of failed Clown QBs since they returned in '99.

NEXT!

Great pick by the Steelers. Who cares what mock drafts had predicted. That's why they call them mock. The kid is a difference maker and can create havoc. Something we are in desperate need. The only CB I liked was picked by the Bears in Fuller. Not impressed by the others. We made a great pick with Shazier.

Great pick by the Steelers. Who cares what mock drafts had predicted. That's why they call them mock. The kid is a difference maker and can create havoc. Something we are in desperate need. The only CB I liked was picked by the Bears in Fuller. Not impressed by the others. We made a great pick with Shazier.

total waste of time also works

As of now, I agree it was a bad night for us. We reached for a guy that was not a need.

How is he not a need? You were happy with the combo of Timmons and rawer than chopped beef Vince Williams in there? Who else have they got? Spence still has no idea if his career resumes and the only other guys they've got are rookie special teamers from last year.