• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Not going to lie....a bad night for the Steelers.

Why the hell does everyone keep saying he's small?? He's same height at Timmons and weighs more. We needed an inside linebacker. Our run stopping sucked balls and a lot had to do with Williams being manhandled and the middle being wide open. Shazier is a tackling machine.

How is he not a need? You were happy with the combo of Timmons and rawer than chopped beef Vince Williams in there? Who else have they got? Spence still has no idea if his career resumes and the only other guys they've got are rookie special teamers from last year.
The more I've read and watched, the more I like the kid and the pick. It will be fun to watch once he gets going and see how LeBeau uses him. He can sack the QB. He can tackle. He can cover TE's and RB's. And, he can potentially cover the fastest WR on the field. When does camp start?

Steelers passed on Darqueze Dennard, and the Bengals took him, Steelers passed on CJ Mosley, and the Ravens took him

that's how this draft will be remembered

Darqueze Dennard fell nine spots past where the Steelers picked. This despite teams immediately before and after the Steelers who had need at CB. Might be something about Dennard that we don't know about. Mosley? It's funny, many posters stated prior to the draft they didn't want him (not saying you). Now that we picked another LB, it's "We didn't get Mosley".

The videos I saw of mosley had me not wanting him for the team.

Mosely has injury issues, and Dennard was slow and very grabby. Shazier doesn't really have any specific holes and will also prob and a few lbs of muscle as well.

I didn't like the pick last night mainly because I didn't know much about the kid.

Seems like he can flat out fly. I've calmed down a bit and think if they're right about him he can greatly improve this defense.

Mike Tomlin says Steelers drafted Ryan Shazier for a need

PITTSBURGH -- Coach Mike Tomlin said the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted for need when they selected inside linebacker Ryan Shazier from Ohio State with the 15th overall pick in the first round during the NFL Draft Thursday.

"What we needed was a defensive playmaker, and he fits the bill in that regard,'' Tomlin said shortly after the Steelers shunned cornerback Darqueze Dennard from Michigan State for Shazier.

He can make plays laterally, and most were tackles for losses. So, we're super excited that he was there for us. Ryan Shazier was somebody that we valued and valued very highly. We're well aware of who we have on our team, but when we can add a player of quality, it will override the need every time."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ymaker-mike-tomlin-need-linebacker-ohio-state

I'm holding reservation until I see him on the field. With that said I was upset we didn't take Dennard like most but the more tape I see and the more I read I really coming around to this selection with the 15th pick.

Just watched some high lights of our pick. I know they are high lights but this kid plays fast and seems to be a sure tackler. Several tackles with just a hand on a jersey and pulling a player back to him. Seems to have great hand strength. Kid intercepted a pass and seems like he covered ten yards before anyone could even react to it. Several plays where he gets past a block, not saying he has the power of Kirkland, but with technique help he may turn into a great player. Also like the fact that he seems mature for his years and is intelligent. One of the best comments I have read is that he was the first one to practice film study etc and the last one to leave, he was called a coaches pet. With this kids natural ability and work ethic he may turn out to be a real steal. The more I read about this kid the better he seems to be as a player and a person. The religious aspect of his life may not be important to some but it does show a willingness for delayed gratification, commitment to something that will not show immediate benefit, but often requires hard work and dedication. I'm feeling better about this pick now. He sure seems like he will be a better player and person than some other selections from Ohio State.

Not thinking he needs to be in the running for Saint Hood but he might not succumb to the temptations that ruin so many careers as easily as many others have.

Steelers passed on Darqueze Dennard, and the Bengals took him, Steelers passed on CJ Mosley, and the Ravens took him

Would send some Karma your way if I could.

I think that will be what we all talk about 5 years from now.

Last edited:

"yeah, look how bad the Bungles and Rats ****** up that year."

Would send some Karma your way if I could.

I think that will be what we all talk about 5 years from now.

Depends on what happens. If they are all just average/ below average players it won't be brought up much. If one breaks out and becomes a great player then it'll be discussed for years.

You're right, he's right up there with Tim Couch, Rex Grossman, Jared Lorenzen, Danny Wuerfell, David Green, Chris Leak, JeMarcus Russell, Quincy Carter, Tim Tebow, John Parker Wilson... What were we all thinking? College passing records GUARANTEE NFL success!!

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark!

I am optimistic that Shazier will be good player for us but I am just depressed over how well the first night of the draft went for the remaining teams in the AFC North. Cleveland begins the night looking like fools trading out of the spot that produced Sammy Watkins but then a couple hours later they end up with a stud corner, a QB that you just know is going to be a player, and a first round pick in 2015 from a mediocre Buffalo team. Not to mention the fact that they still have early picks to go in every remaining round this year. Then you have the Ravens selecting a good linebacker in Mosley, and the Bengals getting the guy everyone said we were taking at 15 at 24. Not a good night for Steelers fans.....just my opinion.

It was a horrible night, no question, but it simply continues the downward trend that began years ago.

Dennard has speed and tackling issues, and Mosley is slower and has strength issues, only 15 reps in the 225 LB bench press. Steelers obviously had Shazier ranked higher on their board.