• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Offseason Thread

when Rooney and Tomlin sit down, Rooney needs to impart some wisdom and suggest that while it might be a good idea to leave, that there can also be changes made if he stays that would also be beneficial. Point out that the offense got better when Canada was shipped off. That the offense, as a whole, has graded very subpar. That while we appreciate the work and duties of Sullivan and Faulkner, that their offense tag-team barely got the offense to average. We need more than average to raise the standard. That the standard being the standard is essentially average at this point. Time for some new blood on offense.

Leave him a weekend to make a decision - if he comes back for another year, the coaching staff is gutted to the core. If he doesn't come back, then the coaching staff is obviously also gutted.

Teryl Austin needs to go. I don't think he did badly overall, but the defense can be better. If Curry isn't promoted, we stand to lose him before long. And, face it, Curry did a good job. We had ILBs drop like flies all season, but the guys "off the sofa" were still playing quality ball. Curry should be the DC. Grady Brown has also done a nice job with the secondary. Look at the guys we got "off the sofa" who balled out when given their shot.

Outside of Faulkner and Sullivan, who else on the offensive coaching staff could come back? Jackson has done nice work with DJ and Pickens. Our WRs are head cases, but the best ones usually are. Guys like Hines Ward are an exception. I'd be interested in speaking to Hines about coming in as a WR coach and offensive assistant. We obviously need an OL coach who knows what these guys should be doing on each play. Anyone recall hearing that half the line was doing one thing while the other half was doing another? What a clusterfuck that Canada/Meyer had going on. Even though the line did seem to gel late in the season after Canada was gone, we couldn't quite get the run game up to where it was needed.

Speaking of offense... Rudolph is a goner. He's a FA and he might be interested in returning, but he won't come back as a 3. Mitch's contract has him here for another two seasons:
Releasing Mitch would save $2.9 against the cap. Easy decision. Would Rudolph return for that? He made $1,080,000 this season.

Which brings us the elephant in the room. Is Kenny the man? The Front Office might want him to be, but this FO didn't select him either. He was a Colbert pick. Khan could very well move on from Kenny, but to who? Lots of speculation/click-bait has us interested in Justin Fields if the Bears take a QB in the first. Which would be interesting, but I'm not so sure we want to take on another Chicago Bear QB reclamation project. Burn me once... But is Fields better at QB than Kenny? We all know Kenny has his issues seeing the field. Briand Baldinger says Justin Fields has issues seeing the field. Sounds like Kenny. Even though Canada neutered Kenny and didn't allow passes over the middle (slant routes, anyone?) Say the Bears do take a QB in R1 - they're not going to give Fields away. So, to me, it would be best to retain Kenny, and use the draft to bring a new guy in. Personally, I'd take Jordan Travis in the mid rounds (as high as third) if we can get guys like Amarius Mims and Sedrick Van Pran in 1-2.

Cowher put so much pressure on wanting to get that 5th ring, that once they won it, I think his urgency was gone, he was happy. As for Ben, I disagree, no one knew he was going to blow his elbow out, he had 5100 yards and 34 TD's, then threw 55 TD's post elbow, the issue there was we ignored the Oline for so long that it aged out.
This 100 percent..

I don't think this season was a success, I'm leaning toward straight up failure. Not only did they not win a playoff game--and a big reason for it was dropping two straight home games in a week to 2-win teams--but they are entering the offseason with a huge question mark at quarterback. QB3 ended performing the best this season and Pickett regressed. It's truly a crossroads this offseason.

1. Coaching
-If Tomlin stays, 3-year extension with a new OC, DC, OL, WR, TE coaches. I would interview anyone from the Shanahan tree and any former OC that have head coach experience.
-If Tomlin leaves, I'm interviewing Harbaugh, Macdonald, Vrabel, Flores, Johnson, Slowik, Frank Smith, and there are probably a few others I'm not looking up right now.

2. Quarterback
-Path 1 is to commit to Kenny Pickett. Invest in the offensive line and wide receivers.
-Path 2 is bring in competition for Pickett. On the cheap route, let Rudolph and Pickett battle it out. There are always cheap QB options to consider.
-Path 3 is to go out and get a QB. Maybe it's Kirk Cousins, maybe you trade way up to get QB3 in the draft. I don't know who all will be available.
Alright, so it appears that coaching option 1 was the way. I do believe they'll do another 3-year extension as they did the last time Tomlin was in a contract year. A 2-year extension just doesn't feel like standard security for this franchise, thought that would be the smart money move.

With Tomlin returning, Path 1 is almost certain. Even though he benched Pickett for the biggest games of the season, I don't see him giving up quite yet and the QB market is slim this year. A new coach would've meant a new QB was likely. However, being locked in with Pickett will probably limit potential OCs. The top candidates will get their pick and will go to a team with the most offensive potential. All we know about this offense now is you have a diva veteran receiver minus diva-level production, an inconsistent young receiver with star potential and that's it. You have a starting RB who only runs hard when there's a chip on his shoulder, and most importantly, a QB who runs himself into pressure and doesn't throw TDs. Not exactly a lot to sell to a potential OC.

Because of this, they'll either have to go the inexperienced route--a very young passing game coordinator and pay a lot because those guys can very quickly become next in line or try to find a failed head coach while they're a little tarnished. What I don't want to see is a failed retread OC or one who's been out of the league for a year or two.

Reactions: xjx
Grady brown. Eddie Faulkner. Karl Dunbar. Denzel Martin... those are the coaches I like on the Staff... the rest I either would like upgraded, or, at best, just dont think they have proven anything yet
You didn't appreciate Aaron Curry's coaching at ILB? He had a makeshift, patched quilt of whatever they could scrape as healthy at ILB and I thought they did far better than expected, I think he's a keeper too

You didn't appreciate Aaron Curry's coaching at ILB? He had a makeshift, patched quilt of whatever they could scrape as healthy at ILB and I thought they did far better than expected, I think he's a keeper too
Good point. He was a year 1 for us guy... i overlooked him

Benton is really the only true starter I see for next year assuming Heyward retires. The DL and how they play just leaves too many gaping holes for runners to get through.
I don't see Cam turning down $22 mill unless forced to, and the way Shades runs things (being everyone's buddy) he will lean to keeping him on the roster soaking up the $22 mill. Team is gonna have to step in and stop that heist. How many millions did Tuitt soak us for his last year? That was all Shades doing.

Trade as many 1st round picks as it takes for Chargers to send us Herbert. Once we have our franchise QB, everything else can be addressed.

I don't see Cam turning down $22 mill unless forced to, and the way Shades runs things (being everyone's buddy) he will lean to keeping him on the roster soaking up the $22 mill. Team is gonna have to step in and stop that heist. How many millions did Tuitt soak us for his last year? That was all Shades doing.
The D line leaves gaping holes because so many plays they only have 2 DL on the field, occasionally on 1 DL. A little hard to stop the run when you are fielding 50 DB’s instead of big uglies.

The D line leaves gaping holes because so many plays they only have 2 DL on the field, occasionally on 1 DL. A little hard to stop the run when you are fielding 50 DB’s instead of big uglies.
Bingo and no one ever brings this up, this is Tomlin's Tampa 2 wanna be defense, we use 2 DL on short yardage situations quite often too. The year we lost to Cleveland in the playoffs, who were one of the best running teams in the NFL and one of the best Olines in the NFL, they scored their first 4 offensive TD's with us in a 2 DL personnel. I'd love to have Hampton type guy, but it's pointless using a high pick on one because he'll rarely see the field.

Absolutely. Even the best coverage guys will let their man get open at times when the QB is scrambling or has time. You can't rely on 2 OLB's to be the only players to get sacks. You need the 3 big uglies to collapse the pocket and get a push on the line. Sending OLB's who are outweighed by 50+ pounds is not a good recipe. That's why our starters have to take so much time on the sidelines. Even our DL starters are on the sidelines a lot. I am sure other teams do this to an extent but I rarely see it like we do it and it certainly hasn't worked for us in years. We have been gashed by the run for 3+ years now.

They should get Kingsbury. The Raiders want him but I doubt he'd go there with no QB. Cue the comments that we don't have one either, but whatever. They should get him and us enter the 21st century on offense.

They should get Kingsbury. The Raiders want him but I doubt he'd go there with no QB. Cue the comments that we don't have one either, but whatever. They should get him and us enter the 21st century on offense.
As OC? That would be a get and a half, but I think he is getting paid to do nothing for another year or so ...

Cam Heyward: I don't wanna give up on winning a SB. Ok. Better hope you get cut or traded.
Gets pissed at Najee cause Najee doesn't like losing and thinks the current culture is s problem.
Okorafor wished he hadn't signed.
Great start to next year. **** I gotta love this team less.

Tell Cam there are no SB in the immediate future maybe in 3 years if draft picks pan out but this team can be competitive at least

The Raiders don’t have a QB, but the Steelers do?

Cam Heyward: I don't wanna give up on winning a SB. Ok. Better hope you get cut or traded.
Gets pissed at Najee cause Najee doesn't like losing and thinks the current culture is s problem.
Okorafor wished he hadn't signed.
Great start to next year. **** I gotta love this team less.
I’m gonna give Najee’s concerns more credibility.

Cam and TJ are just being professional for the camera to avoid any further in house conflict and not let the media have any more ammo in regard

I’m gonna give Najee’s concerns more credibility.

Cam and TJ are just being professional for the camera to avoid any further in house conflict and not let the media have any more ammo in regard
Sort of agree. But they all went home. Especially Watt's endorsement could have been more muted if he thought he couldn't win with Tomlin.

He didnt have to insert Devon Bush into the line up weekly. emphasis on HAVE TO

"I've been around Mason since my rookie year, so it's nothing I wasn't expecting him not to do. I kind of had high hopes for him to do what he's doing. He came in and became the starter, so hopefully he gets the job next year, do what he gotta do, other than that, he did a great job man."

Well, here's an interesting quote from Diontae. Given his body language, effort, and attitude, I'm not sure you can bring him back if Pickett is going to start. An endorsement for Rudolph is also saying he doesn't want Pickett starting, IMO. I think that was also pretty obvious as the season played out. Johnson will be a very interesting name to watch this offseason. If the Steelers move him, they're going all-in on Pickett for one more year. If he returns, it's open competition or they're bringing in a new starter.