• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Offseason Thread

So, I'm super excited about the '24 season. I think they could get to 8-8-1, maybe even as high as 9-8.
Not so sure about the playoffs, as it will depend entirely on what the rest of the league does.
You know I'm right.
Of course. If everyone truly examines their track record, I think you can't come to any better outcome. If even that ..

Still waiting to see the extension status. Hoping not to have to take a break but that is out of my control....

Of course. If everyone truly examines their track record, I think you can't come to any better outcome. If even that ..

Still waiting to see the extension status. Hoping not to have to take a break but that is out of my control....
It's a no-win situation, if he isn't extended, no credible assistant will want to come here knowing it might be for just one season.
If they do extend him, history says wash, rinse, repeat and all coaching positions will be filled in house.
Nothing changes until Tomlin is gone, and I honestly don't care if there are a few losing seasons in the process of improving this team.

They have the opportunity to make moves. Make trades, cut the players who aren't the future, Build around the youth and stock up on draft picks, there are top 100 players changing teams. Develop your 1st round QB.

This team is dead and buried and each year Tomlin is extended drops another spadeful of dirt on the coffin. The stars of 2023 will be gone in a few years with nothing to show for their superlative efforts. We no longer need a change of coaches - we need a change of ownership.

This team is dead and buried and each year Tomlin is extended drops another spadeful of dirt on the coffin. The stars of 2023 will be gone in a few years with nothing to show for their superlative efforts. We no longer need a change of coaches - we need a change of ownership.
Rooney very well might be the bigger problem. Say Mike walks away whenever. They hire someone and again refuse to make changes when it is warranted. I think as long as the current owner is in charge it is more of a likely outcome.

We need an owner who wants SB trophies badly... That doesn't exist currently.

So, I'm super excited about the '24 season. I think they could get to 8-8-1, maybe even as high as 9-8.
Not so sure about the playoffs, as it will depend entirely on what the rest of the league does.
You know I'm right.
If I were a betting man and such thing as a bet finishing between 8-9 and 10-7 existed I wouldn't doubt to bet the house on it. Though it's so obvious that they would only pay pennies on the dollar

Tomlin ready for his extension, sadly. Also says he's going outsdie the house for the next OC.

And Kenny is back at QB1

And Kenny is back at QB1
This would be and should be no surprise. It is what the local pundits have been saying and I agree with them. I like Rudolph but they may not even be able to resign him. I still think his best shot to start is here if KP doesn't improve after 6 to 8 games next year. Otherwise, he is just moving on to another team to be their QB2.

This would be and should be no surprise. It is what the local pundits have been saying and I agree with them. I like Rudolph but they may not even be able to resign him. I still think his best shot to start is here if KP doesn't improve after 6 to 8 games next year. Otherwise, he is just moving on to another team to be their QB2.
Interesting point Tomlin made is that he is looking outside for the new OC. Hopefully that will also include a new QB coach to help Kenny, or whoever they may draft, develop.

Reactions: MTC
Interesting point Tomlin made is that he is looking outside for the new OC. Hopefully that will also include a new QB coach to help Kenny, or whoever they may draft, develop.
Put those chairs over there - and could you tell the band to play something beside "Nearer My God, To Thee".

With Tomlin back and Kenny expected to be QB1 the offseason focus should becoming more clear.

An outside OC. I heard Tomlin said he wanted playcalling experience at the NFL level, but I don't think that should be necessary. A lot of up-and-comers are passing game coordinators. I'm willing to take that risk for the right person. Also, please zero connection to Pittsburgh. We don't even need to interview Leftwich or Van Pelt.

I'd look to move DJ. Coming out and saying he wants Mason as the starter is just bad news. It's just not going to work for a winning dynamic with this team. Sign a veteran and draft a rookie within the first three rounds.

If Jones moves to left tackle, they should be able to find an affordable right tackle in free agency. If they keep him at right, they absolutely cannot keep Dan Moore and need to spend on a left tackle. Find a center in the second or third round.

This offseason should have 1 goal. Get a QB of the future. Kenny is not the guy. Not only has he been mediocre on the field, but these last few weeks have shown he doesn't have the respect of the team. The team clearly played harder for Mason.

Mason is a good story and is a great backup, but he's not the guy either.

The Bills had Josh Allen and the Steelers didn't. That was the only difference in that game. Bills are like a 6 win team without Allen.

Last offseason was great. Solid free agents and nailed the draft. But here's a question...

If you could go back in time, would you trade every draft pick to get CJ Stroud? I sure would.

Do your homework. Ignore the scout who gave Kenny a 1st round grade. Find the QB. If it's Penix or Nix then maybe you can stay put and get him. If you like Maye or Daniels then maybe you have to move up. Do it. If you can move up to draft a bum like Devin Bush then you can move up to draft your franchise QB.

Some may say the steelers need to draft OT or something other than QB. I recall lots of people saying the steelers were good with Tommy Maddox and they should draft OT Shawn Andrews. That same year, the Browns thought they were all set with Jeff Garcia so they took Kellen WInslow Jr. The Browns are losers. The Steelers took the QB and won Super Bowls.

You must have a QB in the league. Do whatever it takes to get that guy.

This offseason should have 1 goal. Get a QB of the future. Kenny is not the guy. Not only has he been mediocre on the field, but these last few weeks have shown he doesn't have the respect of the team. The team clearly played harder for Mason.

Mason is a good story and is a great backup, but he's not the guy either.

The Bills had Josh Allen and the Steelers didn't. That was the only difference in that game. Bills are like a 6 win team without Allen.

Last offseason was great. Solid free agents and nailed the draft. But here's a question...

If you could go back in time, would you trade every draft pick to get CJ Stroud? I sure would.

Do your homework. Ignore the scout who gave Kenny a 1st round grade. Find the QB. If it's Penix or Nix then maybe you can stay put and get him. If you like Maye or Daniels then maybe you have to move up. Do it. If you can move up to draft a bum like Devin Bush then you can move up to draft your franchise QB.

Some may say the steelers need to draft OT or something other than QB. I recall lots of people saying the steelers were good with Tommy Maddox and they should draft OT Shawn Andrews. That same year, the Browns thought they were all set with Jeff Garcia so they took Kellen WInslow Jr. The Browns are losers. The Steelers took the QB and won Super Bowls.

You must have a QB in the league. Do whatever it takes to get that guy.

Just pointing out that at the conclusion of Josh allen's second year, this exact sentiment was said by a number of Bills fans... he had a sub 60 completion percentage, absolutely blew down the stretch, sucked out loud in their playoff game and his pocket awareness was absolutely horrendous...

Newspapers called for them to move on from him... but they got him help with his fundamentals and he blew up into a star.

Same with Brees... after his third year they concluded he didn't have it... that third season his completion percentage was sub sixty and he threw 11tds and 16 picks... he sat his first season but by then was 28 starts into his career and looked bad.

This certainly isnt saying every qb or specifically pickett will go that way... but two years from now its possible all these young qbs will be seen in a different light...

Sometimes the guys who look great out of tge gate are eventually busts... and sometimes they turn things around

Unless you are absolutely sure a drafted qb is going to be light years better, its far better to keep rebuilding the Oline and bringing in a retread that another team gave up on...

Throwing high draft picks at a position like qb where multiple guys cant get good snaps in ends up stunting everyone...

They absolutely need a legit competition next year, but that doesnt mean they have to throw picks at it... there will be guys coming free in free agency and cuts that might be worthwhile

The difference is Josh Allen was an elite physical talent who was seen as a project. The bills had no weapons either. He struggled early then they got Daboll as OC and Diggs at WR and it turned around.

Brees had a serious shoulder injury and some thought he may be done. In fact, Nick Saban as coach of the Dolphins decided to sign Dante Culpepper instead of Brees over because of that injury. If Saban signed Brees maybe Miami has some titles and Bama is still trying to find the right coach to win the SEC.

Kenny was a mediocre physical talent who only had 1 good season throwing to Jordan Addison. His only selling point was that he was supposedly ready to start year 1 in the NFL. He's not ready and he doesn't have the upside of Josh Allen to keep trying to develop him.

I'm not saying you just draft anybody. Do your homework. If you think these QBs are busts, then don't draft one. But if you identify the next Big Ben and pass on him because you have Kenny, you are freaking nuts.

Buf Ben was amazing half the time and a complete mess the other half. So much noise and diva attitude. I miss winning games but in hindsight I would have traded him away due to the distractions

KP is a 2nd year QB in a dysfunctional organization. Anyone who states he will never make it is simply stating a wish and opinion. The young man can ball but needs reps and solid coaching and mentors.

The difference was not the QB in this case. Steelers suck pretty much everywhere.
If you look at the QBs left per playoffs all outside of Purdy where first rounders. Yes this team has a plethora of issues. HC and players included. This team has to win playoff games with it's handcuffs. You do that with better QB play or that at least improves your chances. Not that I have a lot of confidence with the coaches in place that anything will get them to the big dance.

If you look at the QBs left per playoffs all outside of Purdy where first rounders. Yes this team has a plethora of issues. HC and players included. This team has to win playoff games with it's handcuffs. You do that with better QB play or that at least improves your chances. Not that I have a lot of confidence with the coaches in place that anything will get them to the big dance.
And if you look at those who were drafted in the first round:

Love and Jackson were drafted 26 and 32. Love sat for a few seasons and Jackson didn't start until second half of the season;
Mahomes and Allen were drafted 10 and 9 by teams that traded up. Mahomes sat his first season;
Mayfield and Goff were both drafted with the number 1 pick, and neither of them is with the team that drafted them;
CJ Stroud drafted at with the number 1 pick and still with the team that drafted him.

Only one quarterback in the playoffs was drafted top 8 and is still with the team that drafted him, and the other two quarterbacks drafted in the top 10 were drafted by better teams than their natural draft position. My theory for sometime has been that the situation a quarterback is drafted into plays a greater role than draft position in determining quarterback success. This seems to bear that out.

Buf Ben was amazing half the time and a complete mess the other half. So much noise and diva attitude. I miss winning games but in hindsight I would have traded him away due to the distractions

KP is a 2nd year QB in a dysfunctional organization. Anyone who states he will never make it is simply stating a wish and opinion. The young man can ball but needs reps and solid coaching and mentors.
Wouldn't be a first ballot HOF'er if he was a mess half the time, not sure why you constantly try to bash Ben to prop Kenny up, Kenny does nothing anywhere near as good a Ben.

And if you look at those who were drafted in the first round:

Love and Jackson were drafted 26 and 32. Love sat for a few seasons and Jackson didn't start until second half of the season;
Mahomes and Allen were drafted 10 and 9 by teams that traded up. Mahomes sat his first season;
Mayfield and Goff were both drafted with the number 1 pick, and neither of them is with the team that drafted them;
CJ Stroud drafted at with the number 1 pick and still with the team that drafted him.

Only one quarterback in the playoffs was drafted top 8 and is still with the team that drafted him, and the other two quarterbacks drafted in the top 10 were drafted by better teams than their natural draft position. My theory for sometime has been that the situation a quarterback is drafted into plays a greater role than draft position in determining quarterback success. This seems to bear that out.
Of course but it also shows if you have a QB deficiency there is options outside of drafting one. Steelers need to do their homework and upgrade the competition this off-season. If they love a guy higher in the draft that option is on the board to trade up. Or even stand still and draft one at 20. Or target one in free agency...

Yes, but I'm still wondering how KP's "personal QB coach" fits in. He's with him during the offseason and in his ear during the regular season. I think he needs to change that and go to one of the top QB training locations/coaches this offseason. His personal coach isn't getting the job done.