• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Our guy thinks it’s the greatest play in Super Bowl history………………..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Lynn Swanns catch was pretty cool as well
Fans tend to pick the more current / fresh memories in comparison. But man so many plays to choose from in the first 4SBs. I also have to jump outside the theme and mention that 6th seed run that went against all odds in pathway to victory.

Sweet emotttttionnnns.

They give credit to Holmes for the "great play" but let's not forget that Ben threw a perfect TD ball to Homes on the play before that went right through his hands. Ben made two perfect throws back to back...Ben is the man who showed us all "That's how you be great"

James's play is THE greatest play in SB history.

Agreed and Stonio's catch is #2.
Also I think Willie Parker's 70 yard run in SB XL is still the longest offensive play in a Super Bowl.
Argument could be made that 3 of the top 5 plays in SB history came from the Steelers.

The James Harrison play was the greatest defensive team play in a superbowl ever. James did the running like he was in a minefield and the defense turned offense by the blocking they did for that whole thing to have any chance of success.

The James Harrison play was the greatest defensive team play in a superbowl ever. James did the running like he was in a minefield and the defense turned offense by the blocking they did for that whole thing to have any chance of success.

Dick L. Always dictated that type of play from his defenses. One of the few defenses that could pull that attitude off.

Credit the players, but also credit the coach.

Salute the nation

I dont know---

My fav still is a play by a non-Steeler during a Steeler Super Bowl..

jackie-smith-flops-in-the-end-zone-after-dropping-what-v0-k18yayjt5yf91.jpg

Isn't that pic a thing of beauty?!

Last edited:
Dick L. Always dictated that type of play from his defenses. One of the few defenses that could pull that attitude off.

Credit the players, but also credit the coach.

Salute the nation
Well Troy tells a story that during review of practice film leading up to the SB, Tomlin pointed out to them that when the defense would pick off the ball no one was getting out in front of the play to block for them and that for the rest of the week they made a point of getting downfield to block on interceptions

Also I think Willie Parker's 70 yard run in SB XL is still the longest offensive play in a Super Bowl.
Great run but let us not forget the pull and block 66 delivered on that play to take the LB out of the play.

agree with all there are some amazing SB memories. Swanny and Stallworth had amazing catches, the original Steel curtain was darn amazing...but for my money, I will always say the JH INT and return for a TD. Just an amazing read and improv on his part and a stoopid good return. I am still tired from watchign that run. Plus, I love defense.

Well Troy tells a story that during review of practice film leading up to the SB, Tomlin pointed out to them that when the defense would pick off the ball no one was getting out in front of the play to block for them and that for the rest of the week they made a point of getting downfield to block on interceptions

Great look at the past memory Coolie, much appreciated.

Dick coached this aspect a lot during his time here. I remember it being talked about several times by the players and Coach L. himself.

Loved his defensive coaching and results.

Salute the nation

NO NO NO! Tomlin could not Coach this Team up! Tomlin bad! Tomlin bad!

I feel like unless you lived through a lot of the crapulence of the pre 70s Steelers the 2005 and 2009 are bigger. Impossible to not become spoiled by the 70s teams. The 2005 win was special because of the disappointment it ended and 2009 because it was really a fairy tale win. Plus the win over the Ravens at home in AFC championship was just epic.

I feel like unless you lived through a lot of the crapulence of the pre 70s Steelers the 2005 and 2009 are bigger. Impossible to not become spoiled by the 70s teams.
I remember having a lump in my throat after the Steelers lost to the Browns to drop to 4-4 in 1980.

i've always been partial to this one

I was on my knees pounding my fists yelling “RUN! RUN! RUN, DAMNIT RUN!” For what seemed like an eternity and then collapsed onto my back exhausted when he scored. I look over at the TV and see Harrison lying in the exact same position.
Couple things. First I was certain when there was a flag on the field it was coming back for illegal block. Second and too this day I've never got an explanation. If Fitzgerald tracks him down short of goal line while running out of bounds down sideline for 10 yards what would have happened.
Correction he ran 40 yards down field out of bounds just watched.