• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Peter King on Tomlin

I honestly don't think he knows how. And it could probably be cured by allowing outside, smart people in the building but Shades is too stubborn. Successful CEO's, Presidents, whoever it may be surround themselves with talented, smart people.
He did it for a year on defense. That is the part Art has to force on him.

You’ve always been in Mike’s corner,you’re loyal,we all have our opinions. I can respect that.
My only problem with what you say is “ I am willing to give him a chance”.

He’s been here for how many years? He’s had his chance. He hired his OC. He’s already done that.

If he would have let him go after one year,seeing the obvious. It would never workout. Move on. I could have maybe forgiven him. But to let it go like it did for 3 seasons is truly unforgivable. After the first year,all I heard was Canada this,Canada that. I didn’t even blame him. Mike hired him,Mike let it continue.

Now you want to let him do it again. And then the excuses begin again. I can hear them all already.

Of course Mike should have some input on our next OC. But the hiring should be up to our GM and his process. With no prejudice. Mike had his kick of the can. He failed.
When I say get a new OC I am implying it will be a team decision not just Mikes unless his choice is a homerun choice. I am not sure who that is but I agree he has to allow serious oversight on his choice and give them independence to do the job.

Peter who? I've watched the Steelers long enough to form my own opinion. The team has been underperforming for years and it's time for a change. Enough with the excuses.
That’s the thing JMM. I would say most of us try to watch 90+% of every snap. For years. We definitely have our fingers on the pulse of this team. Doesn’t make us all experts,but we know our team. These national media guys swoop in for 3 days get wined and dined and tell us what’s what. Yea right. Some of the crap that come out of the Tv guys coverage on the national broadcast of Steeler games is just ridiculous. They don’t have a clue and are far too lazy to do any research at all.

That’s the thing JMM. I would say most of us try to watch 90+% of every snap. For years. We definitely have our fingers on the pulse of this team. Doesn’t make us all experts,but we know our team. These national media guys swoop in for 3 days get wined and dined and tell us what’s what. Yea right. Some of the crap that come out of the Tv guys coverage on the national broadcast of Steeler games is just ridiculous. They don’t have a clue and are far too lazy to do any research at all.

That's why I say **** Off to them! They don't know dick. Their ignorance shows.

Exactly, that's why Id love to ask one of these national media guys, to tell me without looking how many playoff wins do we have since losing to GB in the Super Bowl? I bet alot of them think it's way higher than 3.

You’ve always been in Mike’s corner,you’re loyal,we all have our opinions. I can respect that.
My only problem with what you say is “ I am willing to give him a chance”.

He’s been here for how many years? He’s had his chance. He hired his OC. He’s already done that. More than once.

If he would have let him go after one year,seeing the obvious. It would never workout. Move on. I could have maybe forgiven him. But to let it go like it did for 3 seasons is truly unforgivable. After the first year,all I heard was Canada this,Canada that. I didn’t even blame him. Mike hired him,Mike let it continue.

Now you want to let him do it again. And then the excuses begin again. I can hear them all already.

Of course Mike should have some input on our next OC. But the hiring should be up to our GM and his process. With no prejudice. Mike had his kick of the can. He failed.
He hired two OC's, Randy Fichtner, he and Tomlin are old friends going back to their college coaching days.

Lame duck coach and then the flip side if we don't extend him and he has a super bowl winning season he could just hit the open market and leave us high and dry. If he was a coordinator I could see us making him ride out his contract but he is the head coach so they likely show him more respect than that.
”Lame Duck” does not apply to coaching positions. He would only be said ”Lame Duck” if he were going into his final year, while being PREVENTED from earning another contract. He can go into his final year on THIS contract and STILL EARN another deal, he just needs to PROVE he is worth another. Will he do that, I don’t know, but would like to see it If you aren’t going to part ways in some fashion.

This is where I disagree with you. The HC should have all the control on HIS position coaches, 100%. If the Head Coach isn’t allowed to control his coaching staff, why should he be the HC? Everyone needs to stay in their own fukin lane. If you don’t feel the HC is capable of choosing his coaches, then the Ownership and GM need to look for someone that is.

”Lame Duck” does not apply to coaching positions. He would only be said ”Lame Duck” if he were going into his final year, while being PREVENTED from earning another contract. He can go into his final year on THIS contract and STILL EARN another deal, he just needs to PROVE he is worth another. Will he do that, I don’t know, but would like to see it If you aren’t going to part ways in some fashion.
In sports usage, a coach or general manager in the final year of their contract without a forthcoming contract extension is often described as a lame duck.

This is where I disagree with you. The HC should have all the control on HIS position coaches, 100%. If the Head Coach isn’t allowed to control his coaching staff, why should he be the HC? Everyone needs to stay in their own fukin lane. If you don’t feel the HC is capable of choosing his coaches, then the Ownership and GM need to look for someone that is.
Not saying I disagree with you. And I do think they should look for someone else.
But for whatever reason he’s not held accountable for his last 2 OC hires. Which have been complete failures. Never mind the DC question.

So if they insist he remain HC,I make that part of the stipulation for remaining. Kahn hires. If you don’t like it.....thanks for all your years.

In sports usage, a coach or general manager in the final year of their contract without a forthcoming contract extension is often described as a lame duck.
The “sports usage“ is wrong. Just because they use a phrase continuously, doesn’t mean it is used correctly.

Not the only time they continue to use phrases incorrectly. Example, The US is a Democracy.

Not saying I disagree with you. And I do think they should look for someone else.
But for whatever reason he’s not held accountable for his last 2 OC hires. Which have been complete failures. Never mind the DC question.

So if they insist he remain HC,I make that part of the stipulation for remaining. Kahn hires. If you don’t like it.....thanks for all your years.
I get what you are saying. If this approach is taken, it just PROVES that they are unwilling to truly try to correct the problems.

whatever they do in the draft, if Tomlin stays, they better not draft a QB in the 1st. He got Pickett, he should die in that hill. If we draft another QB under Tomlin, without improving the OLine, history will repeat itself and destroy the rookie before he even gets his footing.

Tomlin doesn't know how to build a team for a rookie QB. He should invest around Pickett and try to get the best out of the young weapons, not set them up to get destroyed and or useless.

whatever they do in the draft, if Tomlin stays, they better not draft a QB in the 1st. He got Pickett, he should die in that hill. If we draft another QB under Tomlin, without improving the OLine, history will repeat itself and destroy the rookie before he even gets his footing.

Tomlin doesn't know how to build a team for a rookie QB. He should invest around Pickett and try to get the best out of the young weapons, not set them up to get destroyed and or useless.
Whether he stays or not they need to build the team first with Kenny as QB in real NFL system hopefully like San Frans or similar. Then we will know what we have with Kenny and i we need to reinvest in a QB before Kenny's contract is done. Center, Guard and one tackle needed drat or free agency then a reliable every down WR with no diva issues, a cloned Hines would do. Defense, Corner number 2, Safety and ILB all need addressed.

The hard part is that no one is saying anything unreasonable, or not justified by football history. Only Rooney is being unreasonable. Tomlin is doing what anyone would do if he had a $1.1 million a month contract, and sucked at that job.

The national media purely looks at the never finishing a season below .500 stat. What they ignore is a playoff win in only 4 of 16 (soon to be 17) seasons. If the national media only saw a coach was on the brink of a 7th straight season without a playoff win, no one would be saying "you don't know how lucky you are."

Forget post Big Ben. What is Tomlin's post season record with Big Ben? 8-9. Since the '08 run 15 years ago, he was 5-8. This guy had a hall of fame QB in his prime and wasted it!!

I honestly don't think he knows how. And it could probably be cured by allowing outside, smart people in the building but Shades is too stubborn. Successful CEO's, Presidents, whoever it may be surround themselves with talented, smart people.
And CEO’s who are unqualified and paranoid don’t and surround themselves with yes men.

That’s the thing. Somehow there’s a disconnect because you would think a coach who never had a losing season in 16 years would have more than three playoff wins in the last 13 years.
And this is why I always use the story of the emperors new clothes in reference to our relationship with Tomlin. Except in the original story everyone repeats the same nonsense out of fear of appearing stupid. In our case it's the fear of not being politically correct.

If the standard is padding your "never a losing season" record by letting Ben beat up on the hapless Browns and at times Bengals, then mission accomplished for Tomlin. Ben has more to do with that record than Mike Tomlin. If Tomlin stays a few more years (if Ol' man Rooney takes another extended nap of course) we'll see that record fall pretty damn quick. Funny how King failed to even hint at how many times Ben willed this team to victory and in the process helped Mikey get his claim to fame record.

If the standard is padding your "never a losing season" record by letting Ben beat up on the hapless Browns and at times Bengals, then mission accomplished for Tomlin. Ben has more to do with that record than Mike Tomlin.
Exactly. Shades’ record was padded by having the Bengals and Browns in his division, which was pretty much three wins a year guaranteed.

Steelmann, this is 100% correct and thanks for all your great post(s) along the way.

On the TV announcers, it’s not uncommon for several times a game to hear them referr to a player by a different name, same player multiple times.

They will put some designation out there that just isn’t true.

They just don’t watch / study / our team yet will regurgitate nation media over and over.

Then there is the nut hugging endlessly.

I totally understand when someone says they just mute and watch the game that way.

Salute the nation

Exactly. Shades’ record was padded by having the Bengals and Browns in his division, which was pretty much three wins a year guaranteed.
Not only those teams if we think about it. How many times against those and other opponents did Ben save the day at the last minute in the no huddle after Tomlin's teams and coordinators weren't able to do jack? That luxury is now gone and like I said so will that record the media goes on about. Like I said in the Pats* game thread: Tomlin has been exposed.