• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pickens a no show at Russ' throwing drills

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
The "Problem Child/Prodigal Son" was one of the first players to show up for the first round of OTAs (which are voluntary). I wonder if maybe it's possible for a 23 year old kid to gain maturity and learn how to be a professional. I also wonder if some of us aren't so scarred by the AB drama/bullshit that we look at every WR as a possible head case so that we're not blindsided again later on on.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
The "Problem Child/Prodigal Son" was one of the first players to show up for the first round of OTAs (which are voluntary). I wonder if maybe it's possible for a 23 year old kid to gain maturity and learn how to be a professional. I also wonder if some of us aren't so scarred by the AB drama/bullshit that we look at every WR as a possible head case so that we're not blindsided again later on on.
Not just AB, Bryant, Bell (not a WR but still), Coates, Blount....

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, given that Wilson sucks royal ***... What's the point of attending passing drills?

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Total @ss clown.

He kept Antonio Brown at a Hall of Fame level for 6 years, from 2013 to 2018. Judging by the way things went for Brown at his other stops did you ever think that Tomlin handled him as best as could be? How should have he been handled differently? In the years when he was producing at the Hall of Fame level? Not now, with the typical 20/20 backwards vision. If Tomlin goes all hard core, he more than likely melts down sooner. Then that would have been Tomlin's fault, too. I've read people say..."They shouda traded him!!!" Yeah, right. Could have you seen the meltdown here if they would have traded him when he was at his peak in those years?

The discussion shouldn't be on how Tomlin handles divas because these divas aren't handled well by anybody. It should be about avoiding divas as much as possible. But the problem is the divas tend to be the most talented. It's only gonna get worse with NIL. These guys who are so used to having their way on everything, NIL takes that to steroid level. And I am not necessarily against NIL...but it sure won't help.
Tomlin didn't do crap.
Ben fed Brown for YEARS, and that kept his diva status manageable. When Ben finally had enough of Brown's **** and called him on it, Brown fell apart.

Tomlin just F'ing WATCHED.

Last edited:

diver

Reaction score
Tomlin didn't do crap.
Ben fed Brown for YEARS, and that kept his diva status manageable. When Ben finally had enough of Brown's **** and called him on it, Brown fell apart.

Tomlin just F'ing WATCHED.
You guys keep making the assertion Tomlin did nothing. I am offering a different possibility. It is all speculation as we weren't there and we do not know. But since you make guys make the allegation, what should have been done differently, and, are you sure it would have worked? See, the bottom line is that Tomlin didn't win with those guys. Had he won, this would not even be a discussion. And as I have stated previously had you read, you would have seen that I stated Tomlin absolutely deserves criticism for not winning with those players. That is provable. What he did or didn't do discipline wise is not.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
You guys keep making the assertion Tomlin did nothing. I am offering a different possibility. It is all speculation as we weren't there and we do not know. But since you make guys make the allegation, what should have been done differently, and, are you sure it would have worked? See, the bottom line is that Tomlin didn't win with those guys. Had he won, this would not even be a discussion. And as I have stated previously had you read, you would have seen that I stated Tomlin absolutely deserves criticism for not winning with those players. That is provable. What he did or didn't do discipline wise is not.
With Hindsight, what should have happened is they trade AB a year before for multiple 1sts.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I merely point out that Roethlisberger kept the team relevant with zero help from Tomlin.

Most won’t recognize the fact that Ben ROETHLISBERGER was one of the greatest QBs to play the game.

He didn’t have to cheat and definitely was held back by Mr. Never a losing season Coach.

His come from behind wins, happen to be a record, show his heart and soul was invested in this team,
a true STEELERS player.

Coach Cowher had down years BUT never a career of mediocrity as our current coach. Re-action and not Pro-action.

Salute the nation

diver

Reaction score
Most won’t recognize the fact that Ben ROETHLISBERGER was one of the greatest QBs to play the game.

He didn’t have to cheat and definitely was held back by Mr. Never a losing season Coach.

His come from behind wins, happen to be a record, show his heart and soul was invested in this team,
a true STEELERS player.

Coach Cowher had down years BUT never a career of mediocrity as our current coach. Re-action and not Pro-action.

Salute the nation
I have difficulty with this line of argument. It seems as if what is being said is that Ben was only responsible for the wins, but somehow escapes responsibility for the losses. When they lost games, Ben was a lump of clay who was molded into those losses by the head coach. When they won, he broke out of that mold.

It's just dumb.

Ben was one of the greatest to play the game. Absolutely. But he was also a major part of why they didn't win a championship since 2008. He just didn't play that great in playoff games after 2010.

I know this will be interpreted by some of the over emotional as a defense of Tomlin. It is not. He has not coached this team to success in a long, long time. He should be somewhere else because of that. But this is a team sport, and he doesn't do the one thing that most impacts games...play.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I have difficulty with this line of argument. It seems as if what is being said is that Ben was only responsible for the wins, but somehow escapes responsibility for the losses. When they lost games, Ben was a lump of clay who was molded into those losses by the head coach. When they won, he broke out of that mold.

It's just dumb.

Ben was one of the greatest to play the game. Absolutely. But he was also a major part of why they didn't win a championship since 2008. He just didn't play that great in playoff games after 2010.

I know this will be interpreted by some of the over emotional as a defense of Tomlin. It is not. He has not coached this team to success in a long, long time. He should be somewhere else because of that. But this is a team sport, and he doesn't do the one thing that most impacts games...play.
We've seen Shades for the undisciplined joke of a head coach he is, who gets in the way of any kind of functioning offense. Ben outperformed his mess, his pee-your-pants way of coaching and saved Tomlin's crap approach to coaching. I have bee saying for a decade that once Ben leaves it will remove the curtain from Shades' ineptitude. It has. And I don't think we've seen the end yet. Russ will do a little better than Tiny Hands or Tiny Head, but only so much.

diver

Reaction score
We've seen Shades for the undisciplined joke of a head coach he is, who gets in the way of any kind of functioning offense. Ben outperformed his mess, his pee-your-pants way of coaching and saved Tomlin's crap approach to coaching. I have bee saying for a decade that once Ben leaves it will remove the curtain from Shades' ineptitude. It has. And I don't think we've seen the end yet. Russ will do a little better than Tiny Hands or Tiny Head, but only so much.
You are hard sometimes to even respond to. It is like the ravings of a 14 year old.

From about 2014 - 2017, did Tomlin get in the way of a functioning offense? They had one of the best offenses in the league. It is over the top hyperbole.

Tomlin had them in the playoff hunt the year after Ben left and in the playoffs this year with substandard QB play. Maybe the way he wanted the offense run during these last two years has been the best approach. Would have you just opened up with Kenny Pickett or Mitch Trubisky? An "undisciplined joke of a head coach," which we have actually seen on occasion around the NFL over the years, would not have been able to accomplish that.

Again, as you do, I wish Tomlin was coaching somewhere else or in the TV booth, so don't do your typical Tomlin apologist nonsense. But stop with the dumb, childish arguments.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Of course Roethlisberger is accountable to losses, but he isn't accountable to some of the garbage coaching decisions made.

Nobody gets a pass on accountability. But we must hold the accountability to the one accountable for the ineptitude of the account.

When that offense was great, where was the defense? It took 10 first rounders to make a splash.

We had the best QB in the league for his three games he started. Then the play off game....... crickets, turtle ball not to lose, yet did. HC made that decision, like so many others along the way.

Not a Tomlin hater or lover, just want our beloved STEELERS to do much better.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Of course Roethlisberger is accountable to losses, but he isn't accountable to some of the garbage coaching decisions made.

Nobody gets a pass on accountability. But we must hold the accountability to the one accountable for the ineptitude of the account.

When that offense was great, where was the defense? It took 10 first rounders to make a splash.

We had the best QB in the league for his three games he started. Then the play off game....... crickets, turtle ball not to lose, yet did. HC made that decision, like so many others along the way.

Not a Tomlin hater or lover, just want our beloved STEELERS to do much better.

Salute the nation
Each and every HC should get credit for highs and lows of their team. With Tomlin it is always he does a good job until the chips are on the line and he is faced with a HC that knows his X and Os better in comparison. So all those impressive winning seasons Mike gets full credit. For all those playoff failures he gets full blame.

Easy for a fan to blame a player for something. But their HC is the one in charge of guiding them to failure and or success. He is in charge of what roster he builds what player he doesn’t pursue, the ones he does pursue, the good or bad schemes, the good or bad game time decisions.

It ultimately falls to the HC the man in charge. That is always the one who should shoulder the credit and or the blame.

diver

Reaction score
Each and every HC should get credit for highs and lows of their team. With Tomlin it is always he does a good job until the chips are on the line and he is faced with a HC that knows his X and Os better in comparison. So all those impressive winning seasons Mike gets full credit. For all those playoff failures he gets full blame.

Easy for a fan to blame a player for something. But their HC is the one in charge of guiding them to failure and or success. He is in charge of what roster he builds what player he doesn’t pursue, the ones he does pursue, the good or bad schemes, the good or bad game time decisions.

It ultimately falls to the HC the man in charge. That is always the one who should shoulder the credit and or the blame.
I am fascinated that people take such sides on this. It seems to me to be something that is really common sense. Football is the ultimate team sport. Everybody is to get credit when there is success, and everyone is to blame when there is not. I think we have lost sight of that because it just doesn't make sense that Mike Tomlin is still the head coach of this football team given the lack of success. It has kind of thrown common sense on it's head a little. Bu8t that doesn't make the original point wrong.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve said in another thread

”What would make the bigger headline,

Tomlin retiring or Tomlin winning a Super Bowl”

Salute the nation

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
You are hard sometimes to even respond to. It is like the ravings of a 14 year old.

From about 2014 - 2017, did Tomlin get in the way of a functioning offense? They had one of the best offenses in the league. It is over the top hyperbole.

Tomlin had them in the playoff hunt the year after Ben left and in the playoffs this year with substandard QB play. Maybe the way he wanted the offense run during these last two years has been the best approach. Would have you just opened up with Kenny Pickett or Mitch Trubisky? An "undisciplined joke of a head coach," which we have actually seen on occasion around the NFL over the years, would not have been able to accomplish that.

Again, as you do, I wish Tomlin was coaching somewhere else or in the TV booth, so don't do your typical Tomlin apologist nonsense. But stop with the dumb, childish arguments.
And here is the Shades apologist right on cue. You're far too brainwashed to even converse with, just childish banter all about.

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve said in another thread

”What would make the bigger headline,

Tomlin retiring or Tomlin winning a Super Bowl”

Salute the nation
Both would be huge, but I'm gonna go with the Super Bowl choice for the bigger headline. He's not capable of getting out of his own head in the post-season.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Both would be huge, but I'm gonna go with the Super Bowl choice for the bigger headline. He's not capable of getting out of his own head in the post-season.

I think you are right, because right now if he were to retire at the end of this season……… no playoff win…….. everyone would think Rooney had a hand in it and forced a retirement. Not so much a big headline.

NOW

If he were to win a SB, that would be breakout news for his career ability.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
And here is the Shades apologist right on cue. You're far too brainwashed to even converse with, just childish banter all about.
you are throwing childish banter at others? You have your fair share and drastically overdo the Tomlin hate thing. We know, trust me. You don't have to beat it into the ground it gets really old.

diver

Reaction score
I do sometimes wonder if it is my age that influences my view of Tomlin and makes it different from the Tomlin "haters."

Growing up in the 70s, to be quite honest, I didn't give Chuck Noll much of a thought one way or the other. If they won, we gave credit to Terry Bradshaw and Franco or Jack Lambert or whoever. If they lost, we got mad at Terry Bradshaw or whoever. Chuck Noll never won coach of the year. Think about that. They won 4 in 6 and not once was he coach of the year. But Bradshaw won MVP in '78. Jack Lambert was Defensive Player of the Year in '76, I think. So in that environment the coaches just didn't elicit the same emotional response as they do today. I just laugh thinking that I had no damn idea who was the OC in 1978. Now, every Steeler fan knows the OC. You focused on the players. Chuck Noll himself thought that was most important, which is why he avoided the limelight.

I am not saying the coaching isn't important. It is. I'm just saying I wonder if this is why there is some disconnect. I would have preferred they moved on from Tomlin, no doubt, but I lose no sleep over it. I just don't give him that much thought. My mindset still is if their players make plays, they will win, regardless of who is coaching them.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Well, given that Wilson sucks royal ***... What's the point of attending passing drills?
334 TDs and 106 ints. If you think RW sucks then you must think Pickett is the worst QB ever in the NFL.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
334 TDs and 106 ints. If you think RW sucks then you must think Pickett is the worst QB ever in the NFL.

Well Pickett did have the lowest TD / pass ratio ever all time NFL record, so there is that………..

Salute the nation