• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2023

5 wins in a row, pitching holding up.

YouTube has some great game highlights. They show near the whol;e game in a hurried up mode. Typically you see the whole game in 20-25 minutes.

Salute the nation

5 wins in a row, pitching holding up.

YouTube has some great game highlights. They show near the whol;e game in a hurried up mode. Typically you see the whole game in 20-25 minutes.

Salute the nation
Minus commercials, random camera shots in between pitches. Very little game action.

But baseball is an underrated sport in terms of athleticism. The hand eye coordination, lateral mobility and core strength involved is overlooked

Has ESPN got the standings upside down? They're showing the Pirates second in the Division, and fourth overall in the MLB.

The only 2 teams that have won 8 out of the last 10.... Pirates/ Orioles. Brings back memories. I was still in Jr High.
Somehow I remember watching this series at spme point in a school assembly, I was bitiing my lip.The memory is there just not clear.

Last edited:
Way to go Bucco's but its 23 games out of 162. Save for the run 10 years ago it's been a looooong streak of sub .500 years. It does look like this team could possibly make the playoffs but I am so scarred from the futility I just can't climb on board yet.

Way to go Bucco's but its 23 games out of 162. Save for the run 10 years ago it's been a looooong streak of sub .500 years. It does look like this team could possibly make the playoffs but I am so scarred from the futility I just can't climb on board yet.
I am just waiting to get past 62 wins so we don't lose 100, it is all gravy after that.

Step up,…….. get on board !!!

Salute the nation

81 wins is still my pipe dream....

If Cruz was healthy ----I would say they could do it.

The interesting thing will be how they will react when the wins don't come so frequently..

The Pirates hired Andy Haines as hitting coach in December of 2021. His work is obvious - the Pirates are swinging at far fewer pitches out of the zone, fewer K's as a result, more baserunners, better pitches to hit. The two veteran hitters added this offseason - Cutch and Carlos Santana - are patient, will take a walk. The Pirates will have a plus offense once Cruz returns.

First, Suwinski can hit. Second, Hayes is hitting the ball hard, in the air more, just not getting rewarded. His BABIP of .244 is 70 points below his career average. His BA is .226 but his xBA (based on how hard the ball is struck and launch angle) is .296. Third, the Pirates have a really good C prospect in AAA, Endy Rodriguez, and another in AA, Henry Davis, so the weakest position has an upgrade on hand.

The pen is legit. Stephenson, Holderman, Bednar are simply brutal on right-handers and the latter two have excellent results against lefties as well.

Starting pitching now has three completely legit arms (Kellerman, Contreras and Oviedo), another who can dominate at times (Velasquez). Yeah, Hill is ... Hill. I get it. Know what? Look around baseball and check out #5 starters. Go ahead.

The team looks really good. Notice how good the infield defense is with Santana at 1st? Hayes is the best defensive 3rd baseman in the league and if he hits enough, he gets the gold glove.

This is a good team, with a lot of talented players in the pipeline. Oh, and the #1 overall pick that should be Dylan Crews, a legit power-hitting CFer who controls the strike zone, and can run. I'll take it.

The Pirates hired Andy Haines as hitting coach in December of 2021. His work is obvious - the Pirates are swinging at far fewer pitches out of the zone, fewer K's as a result, more baserunners, better pitches to hit. The two veteran hitters added this offseason - Cutch and Carlos Santana - are patient, will take a walk. The Pirates will have a plus offense once Cruz returns.

First, Suwinski can hit. Second, Hayes is hitting the ball hard, in the air more, just not getting rewarded. His BABIP of .244 is 70 points below his career average. His BA is .226 but his xBA (based on how hard the ball is struck and launch angle) is .296. Third, the Pirates have a really good C prospect in AAA, Endy Rodriguez, and another in AA, Henry Davis, so the weakest position has an upgrade on hand.

The pen is legit. Stephenson, Holderman, Bednar are simply brutal on right-handers and the latter two have excellent results against lefties as well.

Starting pitching now has three completely legit arms (Kellerman, Contreras and Oviedo), another who can dominate at times (Velasquez). Yeah, Hill is ... Hill. I get it. Know what? Look around baseball and check out #5 starters. Go ahead.

The team looks really good. Notice how good the infield defense is with Santana at 1st? Hayes is the best defensive 3rd baseman in the league and if he hits enough, he gets the gold glove.

This is a good team, with a lot of talented players in the pipeline. Oh, and the #1 overall pick that should be Dylan Crews, a legit power-hitting CFer who controls the strike zone, and can run. I'll take it.

Great post Steeltime.!!!

We haven’t had this good of pitching in a long time. I haven’t been able to catch a whole game, but I’ve been watching those high-lighted full games on YouTube (about 25mins long). One c an see a lot of difference from last year to this year, in all around play.,

Salute the nation

Feasted on Rockies and Reds, lost 2 of 3 against the stros. This series will tell us more about how good the Bucs are.

Yeah, I keep hearing that.

Who the **** have the Rays feasted on? The worst teams in baseball and nobody runs them down.

Do they have a free radio app?

Double that question and add to it………..

Is there a radio station in Pittsburgh that airs the game regularly and can a person tune into it at no charge?

I can get any radio station via the internet and I guess I’ll search when I have some time.

I like radio Baseball, the color announcer needs to be good as well..

Salute the nation

Reactions: JMM
Not sure. I have siriusxm.
You might try this though if you know the call letters for the pirate broadcasts. http://radiostationusa.fm/

Anyway, remind me not to post until the friggin game is over. lol, i jinxed them.

I knew that was you, “RELEASE the Kraken”……………….

Salute the nation

No Pirates games on KDKA. That's just wrong.

They are on WJPA.....not sure if they broadcast all the games tho.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I could pick up 1020 and listen to the Bucs games on most nights just after dusk. Pretty impressive as Pittsburgh is probably 300+ miles away as the crow flies. Those were some great teams to watch and listen to.