• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2024

New to me since I last watched a game: Pitch clock, instant replay, National League DH. I'm sure there's a ton of other changes that they should just have left alone.

Braves have a pitcher, Holmes, who looks like Ronnie Van Zant and/or a hair bear.

The pitch clock is probably one of the best things they could have done.

It has really improved the pacing, as games take about an hour less time on average to play.

I initially wasn't a fan of the NL DH due to it taking a lot of strategy out of the game, but I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

Teams like the Pirates that lack hitting are put at an even bigger disadvantage having to put a pitcher up there.

6-0 Cards in the 4th. Keller just gave up a GS to a guy hitting .187. Game over.

guys i have a friend coming to pittsburgh from atlanta wants to take his boy to a game and see Paul Skene. With the rotation the way it is but the all star break in there,,, can any of you tell me with some semblance of accuracy when skene would be pitching on the weekend of 19 july to 21 July?

do they reset the rotation after the All star break? I guess skene is slated to pitch the 5th and the 10th, but no game the 15th... so...

i dont live in town there anymore and i dont follow the pirates except occasionally so idk whats up.

guys i have a friend coming to pittsburgh from atlanta wants to take his boy to a game and see Paul Skene. With the rotation the way it is but the all star break in there,,, can any of you tell me with some semblance of accuracy when skene would be pitching on the weekend of 19 july to 21 July?

do they reset the rotation after the All star break? I guess skene is slated to pitch the 5th and the 10th, but no game the 15th... so...

i dont live in town there anymore and i dont follow the pirates except occasionally so idk whats up.
Teams usually do reset their rotations after the break.

Even if they don't, it is difficult to predict who will be pitching on a specific date two weeks out. Sometimes they add an extra guy to the rotation to give the regulars another day of rest.

Your best bet would be to wait a few days prior to that weekend to see if Skenes is pitching during it. .

Skenes with a no-hitter through 7 against the brew crew leading 1-0.

Now he'll get pulled. No chance at a no-no. Will be a no decision. And the Bucs will lose. Let's see.

Skenes out ... check
No hitter gone ... check.

I knew Shelton wasn't going to keep him in while pushing 100 pitches.

He might already be the best pitcher in baseball. Knowing the clock is already ticking on his time as a Pirate takes some of the excitement out of it, though.

Hopefully, the can get a few winning teams out of it like they did with Gerrit Cole.

He should have pitched the 8th......He gets through that easy enough and they should have left him try for the no hitter. Why not put him out there and pull him if a runner or two gets on? What is another few pitches to see?

I mean, that would have been the greatest story in baseball this year so far....

But nope, stupid pitch count ******* wuss out.

Yes it is hard to get really excited about the best pitcher the Pirates have had in years, because you know they won't even come close to paying him enough to stay in Pittsburgh. What are they, next to last in payroll?

This guy will end up pitching for the Dodgers or Yankees or some team that actually cares and spends money to win a Championship.

Sad.

second to last, the "A"s are the cheapest team in Baseball.
Second to last, next to last, dead last runner up, almost the worst........ :ROFLMAO:

About as far away from paying a guy like Skenes what he will command on the market.

The thing is that the Pirates could not outbid the richest teams for a player even if they wanted to.

With the way top starting pitching contracts have grown over the years, Skenes is probably looking at 50-60mil per year once he hits free agency. His arbitration in a few years will not be cheap either, which might compel them to trade him a year or two earlier than they other wise would.

It was kind of surprising that Mitch Keller signed for what he did, as he presumably could have gotten a lot more in free agency. Maybe Skenes would do something similar, but I doubt it.

The one thing the Pirates have going for them is that Skenes is not a Scott Boras client.

They're now back above .500 with last night's win and are in contention for a playoff spot. The improvement of the bullpen has helped a lot.

Not sure if they can make a run at the division. They need to get Jared Jones back and pitching to his potential and some hitters to step up to complement Reynolds.

Cruz and Gonzalez have the potential to do that, I think. Cruz is technically in his first full season and has been showing some progress recently. He has as much power as anyone in baseball, but needs to be a bit more consistent with the contact.

Gonzalez has cooled off since being called up, but the talent seems to be there.

Once Henry Davis is fully healthy, they need to give him one last extended look either at catcher or the outfield to see if he is a major league player or a bust.

They might have something in Luis Ortiz. He has really reduced the impact of losing Jared Jones in the rotation.

Very nice W last nights.

Keller looking strong, the phenom tonite.

Hayes is stealing $$$$.

Bucco's staying relevant!

Lets Go Bucs!

Reactions: JMM
This team's front office is so stupid... 7 of their top ten prospects are pitchers and they have starting pitching out the ***... adding one above average bat at the 1/3 season mark would have won them enough games to be comfortably in the division lead right now... instead they cheaped out as always... even if they add at the deadline, they statistically lowered their chances of tge postseason dramatically by waiting...

This team's front office is so stupid... 7 of their top ten prospects are pitchers and they have starting pitching out the ***... adding one above average bat at the 1/3 season mark would have won them enough games to be comfortably in the division lead right now... instead they cheaped out as always... even if they add at the deadline, they statistically lowered their chances of tge postseason dramatically by waiting...

The offense hasn't been great, but I think the relief pitching struggling early in the season may have hurt them more than anything.

It's not a coincidence they started winning once the bullpen stabilized.

They definitely need to add a hitter, preferably in the outfield, but who knows if they'll do anything at the deadline.

They need to upgrade at 3B as well, but they might be stuck with Hayes for awhile yet due to that contract.

Wellll.....
They got back above .500 for a couple games.....

They needed to make a move earlier than other teams and didn't. A missed chance to get a jump on the wild card race. I get keeping prospects, but all that has gotten this team is a bunch of losing seasons. Try to make the playoffs any chance you get, especially when they potentially have one of the best 1-3 starting pitching rotations. Ownership and management is so frustrating with this team.