• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2024

They needed to make a move earlier than other teams and didn't. A missed chance to get a jump on the wild card race. I get keeping prospects, but all that has gotten this team is a bunch of losing seasons. Try to make the playoffs any chance you get, especially when they potentially have one of the best 1-3 starting pitching rotations. Ownership and management is so frustrating with this team.
Cherington is a worthless piece of fecal matter. DK has a great segment on him this morning and he outlines the Cherington trades over the last few years and we, collectively, should be GRATEFUL that he hasn't made any trades. He's god awful at it!!

The Pirates traded Quinn Priester to Boston for infielder Nick Yorke.

Basically traded one disappointing first round pick for another.

Like Priester, Yorke is young enough that he could still develop into something, with the Pirates lacking hitting prospects in the upper minors right now.

It makes some sense, but pretty disappointing if this is to be "their move" at the deadline.

Pirates picked up relief pitcher Josh Walker from the Mets for pitching prospect Nicolas Carreno.

Pirates acquired OF Bryan De La Cruz from the Marlins in exchange for P Jun-Seok Shim and INF Garrett Forrester.

Pirates acquired utility Isiah Kiner-Falefa from the Blue Jays in exchange for Charles McAdoo.

Pirates acquired LHP Ronaldys Jimenez (18 years old in the Dominican Summer League) from the Padres for LHP Martin Perez.

Pirates acquired OF/2B Billy Cook from the Orioles for RHP Patrick Reilly in a prospect trade.

Per Pirates Prospects, the Pirates gave up their 9 (McAdoo), 11 (Reilly), 24 (Shim), and 50 (Forrester) in the deals.

Yesterday's moves were very well done by Cherington..
Received two very solid proven mlb hitters.. and the best part is that their under contract for next season also..
He also unloaded Perez’s salary to keep payroll basically the same despite the Pirates adding two or maybe three players from their deadline deals to their major league roster, from what I understand..

Very Omar Khan like savvy moves by Cherington that will allow the Bucs to make a run for a wild card spot...

Last edited:
Reactions: JMM
Yesterday's moves were very well done by Cherington..
Received two very solid proven mlb hitters.. and the best part is that their under contract for next season also..
He also unloaded Perez’s salary to keep payroll basically the same despite the Pirates adding two or maybe three players from their deadline deals to their major league roster, from what I understand..

Very Omar Khan like savvy moves by Cherington that will allow the Bucs to make a run for a wild card spot...

I'm not sure I'd consider the hitters they acquired "very solid".

In particular, Bryan De La Cruz has a slightly below average OPS both this season and for his career.

However, he is an offensive upgrade over what they've been forced to use in the outfield this year beyond Reynolds.

The prospect Yorke is probably the best return they got, but he is unlikely to help much this year.

They did improve somewhat, but God forbid they expand the payroll a little bit.

I'm not sure I'd consider the hitters they acquired "very solid".

In particular, Bryan De La Cruz has a slightly below average OPS both this season and for his career.

However, he is an offensive upgrade over what they've been forced to use in the outfield this year beyond Reynolds.

The prospect Yorke is probably the best return they got, but he is unlikely to help much this year.

They did improve somewhat, but God forbid they expand the payroll a little bit.

They were never going to do that. They went into Wednesday's game against the Astros with the same record as Houston. They were within a couple of games of the last wild card playoff spot at the deadline, but Nutting wouldn't let them add. Owning a sports franchise is a public trust. Bob Nutting has been violating that trust for decades and he is never going to change.

They were never going to do that. They went into Wednesday's game against the Astros with the same record as Houston. They were within a couple of games of the last wild card playoff spot at the deadline, but Nutting wouldn't let them add. Owning a sports franchise is a public trust. Bob Nutting has been violating that trust for decades and he is never going to change.

To be clear, I'm not one who wants them to spend more just for the sake of spending more if the right player isn't available, but when they make moves that just happen to keep the payroll exactly where it is, it implies they're not doing the absolute best they can to improve a team contending for a playoff spot.

Ben Cherington had taken a lot of heat for his inaction up until the recent moves, but it's hard to criticize him too much in hindsight when he was apparently operating under a mandate to keep the payroll exactly where it is.

Bob Nutting cannot be easy for a GM to work for.

Big game against Arizona today with Skenes on the mound. I'd go as far as to say a must win. Would be nice to get some production from the new acquisitions today.

Lose 2 of 3 at home against a team also competing for a WC. Not good.

When you are contending for a spot in the playoffs, when you buy instead of sell at the MLB trade deadline, when your team is competitive instead of sucking wind, dumbass decisions by management are magnified.

1) WTF! Why are you wearing black uniforms during a hot summer day game!
We have off white uniforms, we have bright yellow gold unis, and we wear ******* black jerseys, during a daytime game, in August. ******* August!! That is a complete lack of common sense and unfortunately, indicative of the mentality of management. Dipshit dumbassery abounds!

2) We cannot, under any circumstances, waste a Paul Skenes start. We only have him for 5 years, but, WTF! Why do we insist on inserting struggling players in key moments, during must win games?

Is there a belief by management if we place said struggling player in a pressure situation, that the magnitude of the moment will allow the player to rise out of his slump?

How about we just play to win the ******* game. It's August. Columnists in Milwaukee are already writing about magic numbers.

Anyone who has been paying attention KNOWS that Holderman blows chunks right now, I have seen him waste a Skenes no hit effort on his first ******* pitch. First. *******. Pitch.

Now he blows another fine Skenes showing by walking batters that he MUST not walk, walks that leads him to the meat of the AZ lineup, and then promptly gives up the game deciding HR, to the one guy that we should have intentionally walked.

3) The Pirates have a 38 year old player on 2B and your fastest runner in Bae on the bench. Instead of putting in Bae as the pinch runner, you tell him to grab a bat and hit behind the ondeck batter. When there are 2 outs, you are down by one, and it is the 9th ******* inning.

It is one thing to lose to a better team in a well played game. That is sports. Someone has to win, but I hate ******* losing, and losing to a team because of wasted chances due in large part to complete dumbassery makes my butt tired.

When you have wallowed in no talent, suckitude, for long enough, you may be forgiven for forgetting how to manage a game, but now everybody is watching, a starving steel city hungers for Pirates success. Grace period is over, Play to win the game.

Last edited:
When you are contending for a spot in the playoffs, when you buy instead of sell at the MLB trade deadline, when your team is competitive instead of sucking wind, dumbass decisions by management are magnified.

1) WTF! Why are you wearing black uniforms during a hot summer day game!
We have off white uniforms, we have bright yellow gold unis, we wear ******* black jerseys during a daytime game in August. ******* August!! That is a complete lack of common sense and unfortunately, an indicator of the mentality of management.

2) We cannot under any circumstances waste a Skenes start. WTF! Why do we insist on inserting struggling players in key moments, during must win games?

Anyone who has been paying attention KNOWS that Holderman blows chunks right now, I have seen him waste a Paul Skenes no hit effort on his first ******* pitch. Now he blows another fine Skenes showing by walking batters that he MUST not walk, a walk that leads him to the meat of the AZ lineup, and then gives up the game deciding HR to the one guy that we should have intentionally walked.

3) The Pirates have a 38 year old player on 2B and your fastest runner in Bae on the bench. Instead of putting in Bae as the pinch runner, you tell him to grab a bat and hit behind the ondeck batter. When there are 2 outs, you are down by one, and it is the 9th ******* inning.

It is one thing to lose to a better team in a well played game. That is sports. Someone has to win, but I hate ******* losing, and losing to a team because of wasted chances due in large part to complete dumbassery makes my butt tired.
Absolutely my man!

Couldn't agree more!

Its either done on purpose...or Shelton has to go.

When was the last time Shelton went out to argue with an umpire and it wasn't in response to his counterpart in the opposite dugout initiating a discussion with the Umps which results in the Pirates getting boned?

I am just sick of the bullpen blowing every game.
What happened to the days of relief pictures not coming into the game until the 9th inning

They're done.

Between now and next year...

Get Cruz to cut down on errors.
Get a couple good middle relievers.
Get a really good closer...Bednar ain't it.
Fire Shelton.

They're done.

Between now and next year...

Get Cruz to cut down on errors.
Get a couple good middle relievers.
Get a really good closer...Bednar ain't it.
Fire Shelton.
Yep. Too many losses to teams they had to beat. At this point it should be finding out about some of the young players to make a run next season.

They might look into moving Cruz to the outfield, as his speed and arm would definitely play there. More reaction time would make him less prone to errors, assuming he could gain a feel for playing back there.

They really need to figure what they're going to do with KeBryan Hayes. That contract is killing them right now.

Maybe a team with some money to burn would be willing to take him on as a reclamation project, but I doubt it.

10 losses in a row. No way they can keep Shelton during this stretch, right?

Today's game..

Cincinnati Reds vs. Keystone Kops.

What a mess.