• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Players that may be able to be traded

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So with the preseason games about to start, here are several players that might have value in the trade market that may not make the roster:

(Keep in mind any or all of these may still make the roster, especially since injuries can always come into play, and poor play could always reduce their value, and that most will probably just be cut, though in this day and age, every asset you can get, you should....)

• Mason Rudolph. It’s been discussed ad nauseum. Basically, if he doesn’t actually win the starting role and Pickett looks like he is ready to be the backup, then it makes sense to offer him for what they can get. Seattle is almost certainly an option if he plays well against them, but other injuries could make other opportunities for him. Tomlin occasionally likes to keep just two QBs on the roster and one on the practice squad. We would be set up well for that if we moved Rudolph
  • Benny Snell. Yeah he is currently the top backup and probably has a bit of trade value unlike the rest of the backup backs… RB isn’t exactly a position that needs experience. McFarland seems to be turning a corner as perhaps a change of pace back and Jaylen Warren almost certainly is making the squad. Master Teague wont get a spot but he well could be a Benny snell type on the PS. Also at TE Heyward is almost certainly going to make it as a Hback type. He has experience at RB and could fill that Benny Snell football role in a pinch. We need spots to keep some extra talent at other positions and frankly RB isn’t a priority position anymore….
  • The veteran guys who don’t make the final wr squad:
    • Gunner Olszewski. He is a highly compensated UFA signee pro bowl returner with virtually no receiving experience. Calvin Austin 3, Anthony Mcfarland, Anthony Miller, and Steven Sims all supposedly look good returning kicks and punts… all are cheaper and provide more skill at other positions. They might not get much back, but they could get a team to eat some of the signing bonus, and it would free up a couple million next year
    • Anthony Miller. I think he will make the squad, but if not, the guy is too talented to not be on a team somewhere. If he isn’t going to make here there are a bunch of teams looking for solid wrs…
    • Steven Sims. Another guy with NFL experience. Someone will be looking for a 3rd wr or returner, and he has done both… barring injury I cant see a path forward here.
    • Miles Boykin. He has a real shot to make it as a special teams guy as long as he still looks good at wr, but he costs a lot and that could work against him. Its hard to say if any team lower than us put in a waiver claim for him, but if he isn’t making the roster, its worth exploring…
  • Devin Bush. If Spillane beats him out, he is just too pricey to keep as a backup. It looks like the two young draftees from the past two drafts have potential and he would just be a pricey roadblock for them.
  • The DL seems to have a lot of depth all of a sudden. Last season they kept 8, but without Tuitts uncertainty this year, they may only keep 7. Heyward, Alualu, Ogunjobi, Loudermilk and Leal are absolute locks. Adams and Wormley are virtual locks, but if they feel that Doug Costin can provide what either of the last two brings to the table, and that they wont be able to stash him on the PS, they could trade one of them and keep him. There will likely be experienced guys on the PS with the Davis brothers and Mondeaux getting cut (though Mondeaux may get some serious interest elsewhere as a backup…)
  • The loser for the last Safety Position. This probably comes down to Killebrew or Joseph, and they likely will try to get them on the practice squad as a precaution, but either would have low end value.
  • Genard Avery. This guy is basically a solid run stopper in a OLb position. Which is probably why we signed him. He had 12 starts last year. Delonte Scott looks really good. Ron’dell Carter sounds like he is flashing a lot despite just being signed. Tuszka is the special teams ace they love to keep at OLB and he doesn’t look out of place at OLB. Skipper is a former camp phenom that fits the system. That’s a lot of young potential. Avery feels like a journeyman type… If Avery is expendable, he could have value to one of the NFC teams shallow on LBs….

Most of these guys wont get more than a 5th or 6th rounder, but those can be used to patch holes that develop before the trade deadline

Last edited:
The other thread on this forum has covered Rudolph and value so I'll skip him but there is trade value there if they were inclined to do so.

The only other guy on that list who's trade value may attrack an early third day return is Wormley. As the preseason takes it's injury toll, he could become an attractive target especially some team in need of a pass rusher. The Steelers have the DL depth this year and even if they experience injuries, Wormley won't save the day.

The other thread on this forum has covered Rudolph and value so I'll skip him but there is trade value there if they were inclined to do so.

The only other guy on that list who's trade value may attrack an early third day return is Wormley. As the preseason takes it's injury toll, he could become an attractive target especially some team in need of a pass rusher. The Steelers have the DL depth this year and even if they experience injuries, Wormley won't save the day.
I think people are selling that wr room very short… we have a bunch of guys that would fit well around the league and despite a glut of Wrs in the league, several teams are woefully thin there due to injuries it’s expected to be a sellers market early which is why rumors that the Pats, giants, and miami are all looking to move guys…
And every year teams start getting desperate for return men.. the experienced wrs we have definitely have value to a team like the Bears right now

And with a good preseason, benny snell would have some proxy value right now, especially since Conner found success after leaving this oline. … he is listed on the depth chart as the 2 RB and his production decreased every year with the oline falling apart.. he is a guy in the mold we would trade for… an extremely proficient pass blocker with unknown potential as a rusher because of the horrible line and system the past few years who is on a cheap contract …
q
i don’t think we really have the balls to trade him, but you could definitely get an asset for him, and honestly I feel average rbs aren’t worth our time in this day and age… id rather keep an extra receiver and have the backup either be much better or at least a contributor elsewhere

Avery wouldn’t be an asset to a 3/4 type team, but a 4/3 where your pass rushers are DEs, he fits what you are doing extremely well… i just think those younger guys with pass rushing talents should get priority here… we will only keep 4… i want playmakers at Olb…

I don't think there's much trade value with any of those guys other than maybe Rudolph or one of the DL. I have no problem with Rudolph in the backup role other than he would be blocking Pickett from getting work throughout the year. He doesn't have a future with the team so let him get a chance elsewhere. The Steelers have seven pretty good DL options and I'd actually keep all seven. One injury can change the outlook in an instant.

Other than this, you have guys who haven't proven themselves in terms of on-the-field production or are likely to get cut and can be picked up without giving up an asset. The only exception would be if there is a pass rusher who shows some potential. Those are hard to come by and a team may not want to chance it.

I don't think any of the wide receivers have trade value. Teams know how many guys you're going to carry. They're not going to trade for somebody who they can pick off the practice squad, or someone else who is going to be released.

Let's hope that Rudolph plays well enough against the Seahawks that the Steelers can dupe them into some type of deal for him.

The nfl isn’t like it was ten years ago with trades.. tons of marginal and unproven guys get dealt these days. Here is a list of last years trades… look at all the middling talent that was moved… we absolutely have been exploring that more and more these days.. we gambled on Witherspoon last year, but almost every season now we either acquire someone or send someone out via trade…

The nfl isn’t like it was ten years ago with trades.. tons of marginal and unproven guys get dealt these days. Here is a list of last years trades… look at all the middling talent that was moved… we absolutely have been exploring that more and more these days.. we gambled on Witherspoon last year, but almost every season now we either acquire someone or send someone out via trade…

There's only one unproven wide receiver on that list...and not surprisingly it was the Lions who traded for him.

I would not trade Mason or Wormley. Mason is probably the most hated guy in Steeler history. I have no clue as to why. he is a very capable backup QB.

and as far as Wormley goes, we cannot have enough good Defensive linemen. look at what happened last year.

People focus on the big name trades, but contracts matter more than talent these days, so while you will see some star with a big contract traded for a fifth, you also see a lot of serviceable guys with manageable contracts traded for the same…

Last year Chicago, thinking their wr room was set, traded Anthony miller and a seventh for a fifth… this year their wr room is an injured mess and their locker room needs help… Miller would absolutely have value to them.

Here is the thing, about a decade ago, GM’s realized that a guy about to get cut often has to go through waivers, where tgey may not have a chance to get them… and if they don’t, they might not prefer to sign with their team, and there can be a bidding war with any free agent…

So for cost certainty and to get the guy they really want, trades have become way too frequent now… colbert has shopped a lot of bubble guys in recent years.. i think you explore this with all the deeper positions now… especially if you can move a guy and replace him seamlessly with a lesser known, younger player

I would not trade Mason or Wormley. Mason is probably the most hated guy in Steeler history. I have no clue as to why. he is a very capable backup QB.

and as far as Wormley goes, we cannot have enough good Defensive linemen. look at what happened last year.
Why does wanting Rudolph to be traded equate to hating him?

If all he is and will ever be is a capable backup, why would you want him hanging around and potentially taking away reps from your #1 draft pick and future of the franchise?

In each case its a numbers game… keeping three quality QBs on the active roster is a luxury these days. Its not hate, just acknowledgement that Rudolph has the ability to bring in a future asset in a time when those types of assets are invaluable for patching in season holes on the roster… some of the younger dlineman are really pushing guys like Wormley.. who is a quality back up… if you aren’t keeping 8, you move the guy who is both expendable and valuable

So with the preseason games about to start, here are several players that might have value in the trade market that may not make the roster:

(Keep in mind any or all of these may still make the roster, especially since injuries can always come into play, and poor play could always reduce their value, and that most will probably just be cut, though in this day and age, every asset you can get, you should....)

• Mason Rudolph. It’s been discussed ad nauseum. Basically, if he doesn’t actually win the starting role and Pickett looks like he is ready to be the backup, then it makes sense to offer him for what they can get. Seattle is almost certainly an option if he plays well against them, but other injuries could make other opportunities for him. Tomlin occasionally likes to keep just two QBs on the roster and one on the practice squad. We would be set up well for that if we moved Rudolph
  • Benny Snell. Yeah he is currently the top backup and probably has a bit of trade value unlike the rest of the backup backs… RB isn’t exactly a position that needs experience. McFarland seems to be turning a corner as perhaps a change of pace back and Jaylen Warren almost certainly is making the squad. Master Teague wont get a spot but he well could be a Benny snell type on the PS. Also at TE Heyward is almost certainly going to make it as a Hback type. He has experience at RB and could fill that Benny Snell football role in a pinch. We need spots to keep some extra talent at other positions and frankly RB isn’t a priority position anymore….
  • The veteran guys who don’t make the final wr squad:
    • Gunner Olszewski. He is a highly compensated UFA signee pro bowl returner with virtually no receiving experience. Calvin Austin 3, Anthony Mcfarland, Anthony Miller, and Steven Sims all supposedly look good returning kicks and punts… all are cheaper and provide more skill at other positions. They might not get much back, but they could get a team to eat some of the signing bonus, and it would free up a couple million next year
    • Anthony Miller. I think he will make the squad, but if not, the guy is too talented to not be on a team somewhere. If he isn’t going to make here there are a bunch of teams looking for solid wrs…
    • Steven Sims. Another guy with NFL experience. Someone will be looking for a 3rd wr or returner, and he has done both… barring injury I cant see a path forward here.
    • Miles Boykin. He has a real shot to make it as a special teams guy as long as he still looks good at wr, but he costs a lot and that could work against him. Its hard to say if any team lower than us put in a waiver claim for him, but if he isn’t making the roster, its worth exploring…
  • Devin Bush. If Spillane beats him out, he is just too pricey to keep as a backup. It looks like the two young draftees from the past two drafts have potential and he would just be a pricey roadblock for them.
  • The DL seems to have a lot of depth all of a sudden. Last season they kept 8, but without Tuitts uncertainty this year, they may only keep 7. Heyward, Alualu, Ogunjobi, Loudermilk and Leal are absolute locks. Adams and Wormley are virtual locks, but if they feel that Doug Costin can provide what either of the last two brings to the table, and that they wont be able to stash him on the PS, they could trade one of them and keep him. There will likely be experienced guys on the PS with the Davis brothers and Mondeaux getting cut (though Mondeaux may get some serious interest elsewhere as a backup…)
  • The loser for the last Safety Position. This probably comes down to Killebrew or Joseph, and they likely will try to get them on the practice squad as a precaution, but either would have low end value.
  • Genard Avery. This guy is basically a solid run stopper in a OLb position. Which is probably why we signed him. He had 12 starts last year. Delonte Scott looks really good. Ron’dell Carter sounds like he is flashing a lot despite just being signed. Tuszka is the special teams ace they love to keep at OLB and he doesn’t look out of place at OLB. Skipper is a former camp phenom that fits the system. That’s a lot of young potential. Avery feels like a journeyman type… If Avery is expendable, he could have value to one of the NFC teams shallow on LBs….

Most of these guys wont get more than a 5th or 6th rounder, but those can be used to patch holes that develop before the trade deadline
If players are too pricey for the Steelers, what makes you think other teams would trade for them?

In each case its a numbers game… keeping three quality QBs on the active roster is a luxury these days. Its not hate, just acknowledgement that Rudolph has the ability to bring in a future asset in a time when those types of assets are invaluable for patching in season holes on the roster… some of the younger dlineman are really pushing guys like Wormley.. who is a quality back up… if you aren’t keeping 8, you move the guy who is both expendable and valuable
sorry wasnt saying you hated him. just overall it seems like he is hated. i still think he could provide value to the team

If all he is and will ever be is a capable backup, why would you want him hanging around and potentially taking away reps from your #1 draft pick and future of the franchise?
Because he is a capable back up that doesnt cost too much. I certainly hope we have our franchise QB on our roster. time will tell.

If players are too pricey for the Steelers, what makes you think other teams would trade for them?
Pricey is relative to your roster… look at our wideouts… Gunner is almost a pure returner… a pro bowl one at that, but he has almost no wr experience. He is a converted DB. Keeping him will cost us about 1.5 million this year and 2.6 million next year… it looks like CA3, Anthony Miller, McFarland, and Sims all can return kicks… McFarland is also a rb, tge rest are better wrs than Gunner… cutting him saves about 300 k this year and 2.6 million next year… trading him to someone would only cost them 900 k this season and 2 mil next… he is an all pro returner… for someone who needs one, that won’t be pricey… miller makes a million bucks… he was a #3 wr in Chicago, sims was a #3 wr in Washington. Both only came here last season and resigned here because it looked like our wide receiver collection would be diminished this year… then we drafted CA 3 and pickens…

Conversely, some of the high profile players you are hearing rumors about being on the market are quite pricey… Nelson Algohor is being shopped and his base salary is 9 million dollars this year… that dude has never topped 900 yards receiving… its more realistic that a team in need of a third wr would give us a fifth or sixth for Anthony miller than trade for Algohor at that price

At $1.5 million, I think the only way he doesn’t make the team is due to a football decision. If he offers return ability that others don’t have, he’s on the roster at that price.

Because being the game day backup is not an easy job and barring injury I don’t see them going into the season with Pickett in that position. Neither do any of the Steelers insiders. I put the chance the same as snowballs in hell of him being traded.

The player I shockingly would consider trading for big return would be Chase. If Pickens keeps playing the way he is and Miller and Boykin look good in the preseason games, do we really need him versus what it will cost to retain him and his previous issues? I like his potential but I think Pickens makes him expendable If Boykin can play. He would be most likely to get us a decent return.

The player I shockingly would consider trading for big return would be Chase. If Pickens keeps playing the way he is and Miller and Boykin look good in the preseason games, do we really need him versus what it will cost to retain him and his previous issues? I like his potential but I think Pickens makes him expendable If Boykin can play. He would be most likely to get us a decent return.
I would say the time to trade him is next year around draft time. Hopefully he has a great year ...

Yep I thought about him too… i think he could be moved if the returns were right, but im looking more at fourth to seventh round picks with my guys… he would be a premium

I would say the time to trade him is next year around draft time. Hopefully he has a great year ...
Underachieving players like Claypool have little value. We'd be selling low.

No, you don’t trade your third best WR in today’s NFL.