• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Players that may be able to be traded

Because he is a capable back up that doesnt cost too much. I certainly hope we have our franchise QB on our roster. time will tell.
Doesn't cost too much? At $5.08 million, Rudolph is the 30th highest-paid quarterback in the NFL, and the 4th highest-paid backup.

The Steelers certainly didn't draft Pickett with the 20th overall pick to carry a clipboard behind Mason Rudolph for very long.

not sure. We did with Josh Dobbs.
Those situations are not even remotely similar. Dobbs made less than $3 million combined in his FIVE seasons with the Steelers, and he was never taking any reps away from a #1 pick.

Doesn't cost too much? At $5.08 million, Rudolph is the 30th highest-paid quarterback in the NFL, and the 4th highest-paid backup.

The Steelers certainly didn't draft Pickett with the 20th overall pick to carry a clipboard behind Mason Rudolph for very long.
Rudolph only has a 4.04 million cap hit… 3 million of that is salary, so cutting or trading him saves 3 million dollars.. anyone trading for him would only be on the hook for 3 million and if they cut him before the season he would cost them nothing….
Conversely Trabisky only has a 3.66 million cap hit, but cutting or trading him would cost over 5 million dollars.

Saved cap dollars roll over now, so the best case scenario is that Rudolph doesn’t win the starters role, Pickett is ready to be a backup this season, and someone trades for Rudolph, which saves us money against the cap we could use next year plus gets us an asset in return.

Because being the game day backup is not an easy job and barring injury I don’t see them going into the season with Pickett in that position. Neither do any of the Steelers insiders. I put the chance the same as snowballs in hell of him being traded.
There's no real cause to believe that Pickett, at the age of 24, wouldn't be ready to be the #2 quarterback. Not sure from which "insiders" you're gathering information.

If Rudolph doesn't get traded, the most likely reason would be that nobody else wants him.

Im assuming you are looking at over the caps qb contract list… its definitely inaccurate… the Steelers page there lists him at 4 million total cap hit like every other cap site… i guess they messed up the list… Rudolph was rated a top ten qb backup in several places last year… he has a contract fitting that… like I said, he would only cost a team 3 million bucks… for a qb starved team that is reasonable

Rudolph only has a 4.04 million cap hit… 3 million of that is salary, so cutting or trading him saves 3 million dollars.. anyone trading for him would only be on the hook for 3 million and if they cut him before the season he would cost them nothing….
Conversely Trabisky only has a 3.66 million cap hit, but cutting or trading him would cost over 5 million dollars.

Saved cap dollars roll over now, so the best case scenario is that Rudolph doesn’t win the starters role, Pickett is ready to be a backup this season, and someone trades for Rudolph, which saves us money against the cap we could use next year plus gets us an asset in return.
There's already an additional $1.04 million in 2022 dead cap, because Rudolph's signing bonus was $2.08 mill. But, yeah, maybe there's some team out there willing to take him on for $3 million. Let's hope so.

Trubisky isn't going anywhere. The Steelers got a great deal with his contract.

Im assuming you are looking at over the caps qb contract list… its definitely inaccurate… the Steelers page there lists him at 4 million total cap hit like every other cap site… i guess they messed up the list… Rudolph was rated a top ten qb backup in several places last year… he has a contract fitting that… like I said, he would only cost a team 3 million bucks… for a qb starved team that is reasonable
No, I'm looking at Spotrac for his contract details. They paid him 2.08 guaranteed -- that has to be accounted for somehow.

The other thread on this forum has covered Rudolph and value so I'll skip him but there is trade value there if they were inclined to do so.

The only other guy on that list who's trade value may attrack an early third day return is Wormley. As the preseason takes it's injury toll, he could become an attractive target especially some team in need of a pass rusher. The Steelers have the DL depth this year and even if they experience injuries, Wormley won't save the day.
You nailed it
A lot of cut bait on that list, not much trade bait.

Outside of the 7th-8th DL not too many guys that would even yield a pick of any sort. Why trade for what u could get for free?

Maybe some idiot would give a late pick for Bush just from where he was drafted, but they’ll probably keep him unless whoever offers that 6th/7th eats some $$$ too as part of the deal.

No, I'm looking at Spotrac for his contract details. They paid him 2.08 guaranteed -- that has to be accounted for somehow.
That was from last years bonus. Look at the Steelers salary cap space on sportrac… it will show you 1.04 signing bonus and 3 million salary, with 1 million in dead cap space if cut

If Rudolph doesn't get traded, the most likely reason would be that nobody else wants him.
This says it all.

I can't see where they keep all 3 unless Pickett is inactive all year, and that won't happen.

Like Landry, I don't think Mason will bring much in return.

No, you don’t trade your third best WR in today’s NFL.
Is he third best? If his head is on straight he is. DJ and Pickens are 1 and 2 Muth will be the #3 pass catcher even if not a WR. Harris and Heyward will get there share as well. With the attention they will get Miller or Boykin can take his snaps.

This says it all.

I can't see where they keep all 3 unless Pickett is inactive all year, and that won't happen.

Like Landry, I don't think Mason will bring much in return.
My guess is the Steelers could get a 4th for Rudolph and a 7th, maybe a 3rd for Rudolph and a 5th.

Those situations are not even remotely similar. Dobbs made less than $3 million combined in his FIVE seasons with the Steelers, and he was never taking any reps away from a #1 pick.
and, Dobbs was on the roster because Ben wanted him on the roster. Ben's on record as saying he and Dobbs would go over plays and things on the field.

Ben gone
Dobbs gone

Take Avery off the list… Scott looked ok in that preseason game, but Tuszca looked pretty bad, and now skipper is hurt… they just picked up another journeyman… add that to the injuries there and they wont move an olb now

So with the preseason games about to start, here are several players that might have value in the trade market that may not make the roster:

(Keep in mind any or all of these may still make the roster, especially since injuries can always come into play, and poor play could always reduce their value, and that most will probably just be cut, though in this day and age, every asset you can get, you should....)

• Mason Rudolph. It’s been discussed ad nauseum. Basically, if he doesn’t actually win the starting role and Pickett looks like he is ready to be the backup, then it makes sense to offer him for what they can get. Seattle is almost certainly an option if he plays well against them, but other injuries could make other opportunities for him. Tomlin occasionally likes to keep just two QBs on the roster and one on the practice squad. We would be set up well for that if we moved Rudolph
  • Benny Snell. Yeah he is currently the top backup and probably has a bit of trade value unlike the rest of the backup backs… RB isn’t exactly a position that needs experience. McFarland seems to be turning a corner as perhaps a change of pace back and Jaylen Warren almost certainly is making the squad. Master Teague wont get a spot but he well could be a Benny snell type on the PS. Also at TE Heyward is almost certainly going to make it as a Hback type. He has experience at RB and could fill that Benny Snell football role in a pinch. We need spots to keep some extra talent at other positions and frankly RB isn’t a priority position anymore….
  • The veteran guys who don’t make the final wr squad:
    • Gunner Olszewski. He is a highly compensated UFA signee pro bowl returner with virtually no receiving experience. Calvin Austin 3, Anthony Mcfarland, Anthony Miller, and Steven Sims all supposedly look good returning kicks and punts… all are cheaper and provide more skill at other positions. They might not get much back, but they could get a team to eat some of the signing bonus, and it would free up a couple million next year
    • Anthony Miller. I think he will make the squad, but if not, the guy is too talented to not be on a team somewhere. If he isn’t going to make here there are a bunch of teams looking for solid wrs…
    • Steven Sims. Another guy with NFL experience. Someone will be looking for a 3rd wr or returner, and he has done both… barring injury I cant see a path forward here.
    • Miles Boykin. He has a real shot to make it as a special teams guy as long as he still looks good at wr, but he costs a lot and that could work against him. Its hard to say if any team lower than us put in a waiver claim for him, but if he isn’t making the roster, its worth exploring…
  • Devin Bush. If Spillane beats him out, he is just too pricey to keep as a backup. It looks like the two young draftees from the past two drafts have potential and he would just be a pricey roadblock for them.
  • The DL seems to have a lot of depth all of a sudden. Last season they kept 8, but without Tuitts uncertainty this year, they may only keep 7. Heyward, Alualu, Ogunjobi, Loudermilk and Leal are absolute locks. Adams and Wormley are virtual locks, but if they feel that Doug Costin can provide what either of the last two brings to the table, and that they wont be able to stash him on the PS, they could trade one of them and keep him. There will likely be experienced guys on the PS with the Davis brothers and Mondeaux getting cut (though Mondeaux may get some serious interest elsewhere as a backup…)
  • The loser for the last Safety Position. This probably comes down to Killebrew or Joseph, and they likely will try to get them on the practice squad as a precaution, but either would have low end value.
  • Genard Avery. This guy is basically a solid run stopper in a OLb position. Which is probably why we signed him. He had 12 starts last year. Delonte Scott looks really good. Ron’dell Carter sounds like he is flashing a lot despite just being signed. Tuszka is the special teams ace they love to keep at OLB and he doesn’t look out of place at OLB. Skipper is a former camp phenom that fits the system. That’s a lot of young potential. Avery feels like a journeyman type… If Avery is expendable, he could have value to one of the NFC teams shallow on LBs….

Most of these guys wont get more than a 5th or 6th rounder, but those can be used to patch holes that develop before the trade deadline
I'd rather keep Macfarlane and Olszewski and trade Claypool.

I'd rather keep Macfarlane and Olszewski and trade Claypool.
You almost can’t because he is both the best slot option and third best option outside…

Claypool has another year of control after this. He had great metrics from the slot and gives you a physical mismatch most teams won’t have an answer to. The move with him is let him play this year and hope he maximizes his value so if he wants an unreasonable contract, you get a lot more for him

That was from last years bonus. Look at the Steelers salary cap space on sportrac… it will show you 1.04 signing bonus and 3 million salary, with 1 million in dead cap space if cut
That's what was a little confusing for me...they also list his current contract as a 1-year deal for 5.08 with 2.08 in signing bonus. But I also see there that he signed his contract extension way back in April of 2021, so it makes sense now that the bonus is spread over two cap years. I didn't realize it was that long ago and before the start of last season.

With so much depth at WR the front office should seek a trade for a 3rd OLB, a proven guy for a proven guy

With so much depth at WR the front office should seek a trade for a 3rd OLB, a proven guy for a proven guy
Colbert once traded a spare lb for felix jones iirc… we have occasionally done that… i have hope the Scott is a keeper, and they just sigbed a guy last week that had some good practices… but yeah its an issue

There's no real cause to believe that Pickett, at the age of 24, wouldn't be ready to be the #2 quarterback. Not sure from which "insiders" you're gathering information.

I see no reason to trade Rudolph unless they get a decent draft pick. When Pickett is ready to be QB2, then make Rudolph QB3, he might not like it but he signed the contract and to his credit he doesn't seem to be a guy who will make waves, you never know when disaster might strike and you need him

I would say the time to trade him is next year around draft time. Hopefully he has a great year ...
Agreed. You'd have to really get something good in return to trade now. Otherwise you are weakening your receiving corp for a guy(s) who won't be on the team until 2023. At the very minimum wait until closer to November and the trade deadline.

I see no reason to trade Rudolph unless they get a decent draft pick. When Pickett is ready to be QB2, then make Rudolph QB3, he might not like it but he signed the contract and to his credit he doesn't seem to be a guy who will make waves, you never know when disaster might strike and you need him
Agree. A few years ago Ben went down, Mason went down we had traded Dobbs away and some guy named Duck was playing QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

You definitely wait until you have to cut these guys to trade people too… we just lost Karl Joseph and Anthony Miller, both guys I thought had a real chance of making the 53, for the season