• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Post it here. What are your thoughts on Mason Rudolph being the starter

He was given the entire year pretty much after Ben's elbow injury and was largely outplayed by Duck Hodges.

He started 8 games. His first few starts were good. First start vs Seattle, should have won but they were screwed on a replay. Next he had an up and down game vs SF. Then he had a great game vs Cincy where he completed 85%. Next was vs Balt and he had a QB rating over 100 and had the steelers with the lead when he was knocked out by a dirty hit.

After that point he was not the same. He was jittery, and played up and down. I think it affected him. DJ was a rookie. JuJu had some injuries. Connor had injuries. Some games he was throwing to Johnny Holton. It was a bad situation. He wasn't great but he wasn't as awful as people think either.

Duck likewise had a few moments but wasn't that good. Duck's problem is his arm just isn't strong enough. He can't make all the throws.

I think Rudolph's biggest issue is he is too afraid to make mistakes. Seems like he's second guessing himself out there which is far different than the confident guy at Oklahoma State.

I'm not saying you go into next year with Rudolph and nothing else. I think they should draft a QB, maybe even 2 QBs and also look for a vet like Trubisky. Bring back Haskins too and let them all compete.

"Not awful" is not how you want to describe starting offensive linemen. That firmly puts them in the below average category. I don't think Dotson was particularly good this year, just average. The Steelers could legitimately replace all five starters this offseason I would would stand up and applaud them. They aren't going to do that, but this line needs some legit starters.

I was listening to Ryan Clark on The Fan this afternoon. The subject of Mason Rudolph came up and he basically said if the Steelers want to actually get back to contending for championships, Rudolph cannot be the QB. He does not think he can reach the level of Tannehill, Cousins, or even Jimmy G.

You don't need 5 pro bowlers to have a good OL.

Dotson wasn't great this year but they were changing schemes and they were starting 2 rookies. Not surprising he struggled. Dan Moore could be solid. ACtually he could be better than that. This year is pretty encouraging for him. That should be 2 above average starters. If they can hit on a good starter in the draft or free agency then that's 3 "above the line" starters plus Chukes who is average.

I'm just saying this OL could be fixed in 1 offseason. It may only take 1 really good addition if Dotson plays back to form and Moore continues to develop as a quality LT.

Just look at last draft. If Creed was drafted in the 1st, I think the OL of Moore, Dotson, Creed, Turner, Chukes would have been pretty good. Not top in the league but good enough to win games and run the ball on 3rd and 2.

"Not awful" is not how you want to describe starting offensive linemen. That firmly puts them in the below average category. I don't think Dotson was particularly good this year, just average. The Steelers could legitimately replace all five starters this offseason I would would stand up and applaud them. They aren't going to do that, but this line needs some legit starters.

I was listening to Ryan Clark on The Fan this afternoon. The subject of Mason Rudolph came up and he basically said if the Steelers want to actually get back to contending for championships, Rudolph cannot be the QB. He does not think he can reach the level of Tannehill, Cousins, or even Jimmy G.
heard the same interview.... the whole "the players know" logical fallacy... Look I dont think Rudolph is going to be much more than a placeholder, but until he gets a real chance you never know. A lot of qbs dont really develop until 25-27. Teams give up on guys way to quickly now.

Until his start this year rudolph had a ridiculously high TD% for a young starter... his start this year was just his 10th in the league... Like ive said before... there are things he has to do better, but I think people undersell him badly because nobody wanted the steelers to take a QB when they drafted him and they conflate the dislike of the pick with the dislike of the player...

Look he shouldnt be gifted the starting job, but he shouldnt be dismissed either... if he wins it in camp next year then give him a long leash and let him go at it... if he doesnt then draft a kid the next season

Carr? Derek Carr? Why would the Raiders move him? He's playing well, and is helping push them into the playoffs. He isn't going anywhere.
yes, like Ike said, Vegas is believed to be on the short list where Russel Wilson will go... It also might be the destination of another displanted QB too...

There is talk that Dak Prescott could be replaced by Rodgers or Wilson... and he might want to go to Vegas... Vegas wants a name QB and while Carr is extremely good QB (again should be in the pro bowl over LJ this year) he is extremely underrated and not a big name QB

Depending on if they are going to keep Hobbs on the PS (or the roster) and the same for Haskins, they will need at least one more QB. Rudolph's roster spot is the only guarantee. At a minimum, they have to bring in a vet QB to battle Rudolph and the others and then keep the best 3. If they also (or) draft a QB in the 1st round (they absolutely should not be looking at a QB in later rounds) then there still would be competition but Rudolph will more than likely be the starter in that position. Either way, we need at least one new QB on the roster and possibly 2, depending on what Haskins does. He could shock us and show improvement to challenge Rudolph or he could be the dumbass we heard of before getting him (and during this past season) and not even make the team. The only scenario I don't want to see is us waisting 40+ million a year and multiple 1st round draft picks on a mid to late 30's guy nearing the end of his career. That is a dumb move.

Until his start this year rudolph had a ridiculously high TD% for a young starter... his start this year was just his 10th in the league... Like ive said before... there are things he has to do better, but I think people undersell him badly because nobody wanted the steelers to take a QB when they drafted him and they conflate the dislike of the pick with the dislike of the player...

I really don't think it's the case. I just think people have watched Rudolph and he doesn't pass the "eye test" to be the long-term answer at QB.

You don't need 5 pro bowlers to have a good OL.

Dotson wasn't great this year but they were changing schemes and they were starting 2 rookies. Not surprising he struggled. Dan Moore could be solid. ACtually he could be better than that. This year is pretty encouraging for him. That should be 2 above average starters. If they can hit on a good starter in the draft or free agency then that's 3 "above the line" starters plus Chukes who is average.

I'm just saying this OL could be fixed in 1 offseason. It may only take 1 really good addition if Dotson plays back to form and Moore continues to develop as a quality LT.

Just look at last draft. If Creed was drafted in the 1st, I think the OL of Moore, Dotson, Creed, Turner, Chukes would have been pretty good. Not top in the league but good enough to win games and run the ball on 3rd and 2.
Of course you don't need 5 Pro Bowlers, but you need some talent. You're projecting two guys to be above average starters. It'll be a big step for Moore. While he showed potential, he has to be one of the worst LTs in the league this year given the amount of sacks and pressures he gave up throughout the season. Despite that, he did have some impressive moments. This line is a bottom five offensive line and needs more than just one good player to get it to where it needs to be.

Harris had his best game of the season with 188 yards and 181 one came AFTER contact. That's insane. This line stinks. They showed very little progress throughout the season and if the Steelers come back with four of the five back in the starting lineup they'll be in the bottom half of the league once again. If they want to win, especially with a new QB, they're going to do need to address this unit.

They showed very little progress throughout the season and if the Steelers come back with four of the five back in the starting lineup they'll be in the bottom half of the league once again. If they want to win, especially with a new QB, they're going to do need to address this unit.
This is where that “Franchise QB” money should be spent. Build that line, Roll with Rudy and Draft a new QB if you need to, next year. If he fails, they will be in much better position to pick a starter in 23.

Last edited:
He is not the answer.

What more can be said....................?

Salute the nation

If the OL is not fixed next year than this team is going nowhere regardless of the QB. People forget that just a few years ago Rodgers and Brady were both talked about as maybe being done. It was because their teams around them stunk. GB rebuilt the OL, and got a run game and magically Rodgers was back to MVP level. Brady went to TB with a good OL and weapons and won the SB.

Mahomes and maybe Josh Allen are the only QBs that can win with a weak run game and subpar protection because of their mobility and arm talent. That’s about it.

So unless they do bring in a guy like Rodgers, starting Mason next year makes sense. You can draft a QB and let him sit and learn until the OL comes together. Andy Reid drafted 2 Franchise QBs McNabb and Mahomes and neither started their rookie years.

I believe that the better QB class is in 2023, so go with Rudolph in 2022, upgrade the lines first, then ILB, receivers and backup RB in the draft. Then draft a QB in 2023.

If the OL is not fixed next year than this team is going nowhere regardless of the QB. People forget that just a few years ago Rodgers and Brady were both talked about as maybe being done. It was because their teams around them stunk. GB rebuilt the OL, and got a run game and magically Rodgers was back to MVP level. Brady went to TB with a good OL and weapons and won the SB.
Actually what Green Bay did right was to part ways with their long-tenured coach, because his time had run its course there. Something the Steelers will unfortunately never do with Tomlin.

The only way for an nfl athlete to learn and grow is to get playing time.

Well here we are. Godspeed Rudolph

Depending on if they are going to keep Hobbs on the PS (or the roster) and the same for Haskins, they will need at least one more QB. Rudolph's roster spot is the only guarantee. At a minimum, they have to bring in a vet QB to battle Rudolph and the others and then keep the best 3. If they also (or) draft a QB in the 1st round (they absolutely should not be looking at a QB in later rounds) then there still would be competition but Rudolph will more than likely be the starter in that position. Either way, we need at least one new QB on the roster and possibly 2, depending on what Haskins does. He could shock us and show improvement to challenge Rudolph or he could be the dumbass we heard of before getting him (and during this past season) and not even make the team. The only scenario I don't want to see is us waisting 40+ million a year and multiple 1st round draft picks on a mid to late 30's guy nearing the end of his career. That is a dumb move.
On the subject of Dobbs and out of personal curiosity. How long does a player need to be out of the league to be a position coach? I think Dobbs may have a future in the league as an eventual coordinator. If they decide to move on from Canada and hire another coordinator or slide Sullivan up; Dobbs could make a good coordinator in the future. Especially after spending time with BR7 and going over things with him.

On the subject of Dobbs and out of personal curiosity. How long does a player need to be out of the league to be a position coach? I think Dobbs may have a future in the league as an eventual coordinator. If they decide to move on from Canada and hire another coordinator or slide Sullivan up; Dobbs could make a good coordinator in the future. Especially after spending time with BR7 and going over things with him.
Dobbs should go to NASA. Screw the nfl. The guy is too smart to be shackled to football.
Dobbs has a future in any high ranking position he chooses to apply.

Dobbs should go to NASA. Screw the nfl. The guy is too smart to be shackled to football.
Dobbs has a future in any high ranking position he chooses to apply.
More money if he works for SpaceX

Reactions: MTC