• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Post it here. What are your thoughts on Mason Rudolph being the starter

How ironic that now, after 15 seasons with the Steelers, Tomlin's run defense has come full circle to rank #32 in the league.
That is what bad decision making will do for ya.

Why am I fine with mediocrity? I never have hid my want for a replacement. Even from the beginning conversation. I also based my opinion on facts. Right?
Did I say you?

Anyone on this thread that think Rudy is the answer is absolutely clueless or doesn’t watch the games. As I’ve found many on here watch highlights and read articles. But anyway. Rudy is at best a 2 or 3 option in the NFL
His 20 yard out throw looks like a lollipop live. It’s really weak and he has zero mobility
Ben at 39 has a much stronger arm

We need to rebuild with a new QB. But if your thought process is to start Rudy then you may as well bring Ben Back. Ben is 2 times better than Rudy

And Duck Hodges absolutely did out play Rudy

Rudy starts next year we win 4 games. Guaranteed

Anyone on this thread that think Rudy is the answer is absolutely clueless or doesn’t watch the games. As I’ve found many on here watch highlights and read articles. But anyway. Rudy is at best a 2 or 3 option in the NFL
His 20 yard out throw looks like a lollipop live. It’s really weak and he has zero mobility

We need to rebuild with a new QB. But if your thought process is to start Rudy then you may as well bring Ben Back. Ben is 2 times better than Rudy

You have to throw out the Duck comparisons because that was a few years ago. Duck had a few fun moments, he just isn't an NFL QB. Rudolph has much better tools and progressed as a player. His ceiling just isn't high enough to be a franchise QB, but I'll still give him credit for developing as a quarterback.

You have to throw out the Duck comparisons because that was a few years ago. Duck had a few fun moments, he just isn't an NFL QB. Rudolph has much better tools and progressed as a player. His ceiling just isn't high enough to be a franchise QB, but I'll still give him credit for developing as a quarterback.
Mason is a slightly lesser version of Bubby Brister although he does rock the same hairstyle.

I agree with this. I know Mason's arm graded OK, but the out throws are just terrible. I do remember him ripping a slant through DJs? hands, but not sure where that velocity is on other throws. He is barely more mobile than Ben which is saying a lot. I do not see much progression is Mason either other than preseason which means squat. I think we have seen the best and worst of Mason already. If we sure up the Oline and find a coach / OC who actually game plans then maybe Mason can be a solid "game manager". If Mason had started this year we might have 3-4 wins.

I agree with this. I know Mason's arm graded OK, but the out throws are just terrible. I do remember him ripping a slant through DJs? hands, but not sure where that velocity is on other throws. He is barely more mobile than Ben which is saying a lot. I do not see much progression is Mason either other than preseason which means squat. I think we have seen the best and worst of Mason already. If we sure up the Oline and find a coach / OC who actually game plans then maybe Mason can be a solid "game manager". If Mason had started this year we might have 3-4 wins.
Nah... I think we'd be right where we are now.

He wouldn't have made the same mistakes as Ben, he would have made different ones.

I think the majority of us are in agreement that Mason is not the future of Steeler football and he should NOT be the starter next season. But, I can see the Steelers totally naming him the starter next season.

Everyone saying that Matt Canada will be operating an RPO offense needs to understand that it's not going to happen. If they bring in a Mariotta and design the playbook for him to flourish, then where does that leave the backup "cement feet" Rudolph? Mariotta goes down and insert Rudolph into a scheme that he doesn't fit at all? No.

This team is going to SUCK for a few years if the Steelers don't pull their collective heads from their ***** and make the tough decisions. What does a post-Ben Steeler's offense look like, and who the hell is calling the plays?

I see him in a battle with a “bridge vet”

Trubisky or Mariotta if Tomlin gets a “pedigree” guy or Brissett if they are bringing back Canada (ugh).

I’m in no way endorsing any of the bridge vets, just where I see is going with a weak QB class, needs all over the roster and Tomlin’s preference for a veteran.

I’d say he’s probably 50/50 being the starter vs Trubisky/Mariotta and less likely than that vs Brissett if that ends up being his competition

Ohhhh, and Dwayne Hoooo?skins

They better replace Canada. They need a true X and O guy. The HC obviously isn't it and sadly isn't being replaced. Just imagine if they retain Canada and bring in a middling QB or go with Rudy. Ben's 4th quarter heroic play will be gone. What is the odds of winning more than 4 games? Let me help yinz ...not great. Some of you thought this season was bad. You haven't seen nothing yet.

They better replace Canada. They need a true X and O guy. The HC obviously isn't it and sadly isn't being replaced. Just imagine if they retain Canada and bring in a middling QB or go with Rudy. Ben's 4th quarter heroic play will be gone. What is the odds of winning more than 4 games? Let me help yinz ...not great. Some of you thought this season was bad. You haven't seen nothing yet.
I am totally on board with this plan.... well, lack of plan on the Steelers part. Stink up the joint next year. ARII finally realizes a rebuild is necessary. Tomlin realizes he wants no part of a rebuild. New GM, New HC ... and Young or Stroud in Rd1 of 2023.
Now hopefully they will have spent some of that extra cap $$$ on real offensive linemen rather than rolling out the "offensive", linemen they rolled with this year. And hopefully the DL, CBs, ILB positions are reinforced also.

200.webp

if we have to have a career back up start next season

I will again throw out that Case Keenum is a better option

i believe he can get out of his contract with the Browns (I am not sure though if it is his option or the teams)

Rudy is what he is...a guy that will move the ball between the 20s and then settle for FG attempts

and yes, I am a little drunk

The 2 other QB's on this roster couldn't even start in the CFL let along the NFL. I hope the hell we land a veteran Free Agent or draft someone like Kenny Pickett or another Qb in Round 1.

I can't stress how much I don't want us to draft our next franchise QB until we have fixed our OL. It makes no sense to use a high draft pick on a QB who's going to get his brains beat in and likely lose his confidence. Until then I'm fine with a stop gap or Rudy.

I can't stress how much I don't want us to draft our next franchise QB until we have fixed our OL. It makes no sense to use a high draft pick on a QB who's going to get his brains beat in and likely lose his confidence. Until then I'm fine with a stop gap or Rudy.
O-line with Hassenhauer and Leglue looked pretty damn good. I think Trai Turner is a liability but maybe they plug Kendrick Green in at RG. Then they have Kevin Dotson as backup Guard........it's possible their O-line is not that far off. They were good tonight!

O-line with Hassenhauer and Leglue looked pretty damn good. I think Trai Turner is a liability but maybe they plug Kendrick Green in at RG. Then they have Kevin Dotson as backup Guard........it's possible their O-line is not that far off. They were good tonight!
They did look good tonight. Not to put a damper on a great night, but I'm wondering how much the Browns heads were in the game after being eliminated from the playoffs yesterday. Just saying.

The Stains know losing…so when it’s time to start losing they really know how to get it done