• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pre training camp roster moves

madinsomniac

Reaction score
A couple just dropped in the last 24 hrs...
They just released Thompson at safety to assumedly pave the way for Watts to make the squad:

Yesterday they cut Wr Denzel Mims, who was everyones dark horse candidate to make the team.

Its weird to see experienced, low money guys axed right before camp... especially since both were with the team last year...

This could mean several things
A.) they didnt adequately recover from injuries or werent physically fit enough
B.) they were not a schematic fit for the new systems.
C.) after minicamp, the team knew neither were in their plans and opted to give them a chance to catch on elsewhere..
D.) They are pursuing other players and wanted the roster space..

Id vote C for both.. each position has a newly drafted guy that the vet would likely roadblock... neither has trade value... its probably better to give tge excess snaps in preseason to the young guys and backfill those slots with camp bodies that are more practice squad types...

Great post Mad. IO agree with you on this. I think they're looking longer term on the Rookies and building up the depth.

E. Tomlin wasn’t their buddy

All kidding aside I am leaning C but hope it is to upgrade WR and add depth at another position….

E. Tomlin wasn’t their buddy

All kidding aside I am leaning C but hope it is to upgrade WR and add depth at another position….
I still am thinking if they do anything at wr it will be a discount move later in camp or early season if someone gets hurt( unless it is pickens... then id see a splash move)

I think with this scheme they have 5wr spots to fill... 6 tops... maybe... Pickens is one for sure, and the final one will probably be a special teams type guy. The Draftee is absolutely getting a spot, and if austin is actually gonna be on the roster, thats one or two spots left for all the free agents...

I think the average fan view of the wrs is they dont have enough there, but I'm guessing the coaching staff thinks they are overloaded for what they need out of the scheme..

Thompson injury still hasn't resolved, so that‘s the reason he was let go. He could come back after he recovers, but he wasn’t going to be able to participate fully in camp.

Mims situation was more likely helping him latch on to another team before training camp. With all the bodies at the position now in PIT, he had shown to be JAG. He’s been on the PS since October so he definitely had his chances.

I think as of now, Dez Fitzpatrick will be the ST wr on the team. He is good in ST coverage and he has experience in some of the system at least because the Titans still ran a lot of Smiths stuff the year after he left, which was Dez's rookie year on the titans... he is average in wr ability, so he wont be useless there in a pinch...

I think as of now, Dez Fitzpatrick will be the ST wr on the team. He is good in ST coverage and he has experience in some of the system at least because the Titans still ran a lot of Smiths stuff the year after he left, which was Dez's rookie year on the titans... he is average in wr ability, so he wont be useless there in a pinch...
Mims is already gone, which was a little surprising considering he was a high 2nd-round pick by the Jets. He is a 6-3, 207 LB flier who can race, but has never caught on anywhere. Just doesn't have "it" it appears.

Mims is already gone, which was a little surprising considering he was a high 2nd-round pick by the Jets. He is a 6-3, 207 LB flier who can race, but has never caught on anywhere. Just doesn't have "it" it appears.
Players bust every day coming out of the draft, not even a little surprising. Look at Claypool who arguably had all the tools to be special. Then nosedived. Jermaine Stephens (sp) fell flat on his face literally. We had one cornerback that never even saw the field. It is called Not For Long for a reason. Some simply can’t make the transition over.

Sweed will forever hold the king of face plants position in my book. Not thinking any of these guys are on his level.

My hope is that the cuts are on our new OC, not on Tomlin. If they are on Khan, I'm hoping it's to clear cap $$ for a big name.

A couple just dropped in the last 24 hrs...
They just released Thompson at safety to assumedly pave the way for Watts to make the squad:

Yesterday they cut Wr Denzel Mims, who was everyones dark horse candidate to make the team.

Its weird to see experienced, low money guys axed right before camp... especially since both were with the team last year...

This could mean several things
A.) they didnt adequately recover from injuries or werent physically fit enough
B.) they were not a schematic fit for the new systems.
C.) after minicamp, the team knew neither were in their plans and opted to give them a chance to catch on elsewhere..

The STEELERS are known for looking out for their players / ex-player's futures.

My choice C

D.) They are pursuing other players and wanted the roster space..

Id vote C for both.. each position has a newly drafted guy that the vet would likely roadblock... neither has trade value... its probably better to give tge excess snaps in preseason to the young guys and backfill those slots with camp bodies that are more practice squad types...

Salute the nation