• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Preseason Opener Vs Tampa Gameday thread

Before they signed alexander, I figured Tanner Muse was going to be the backup coverage ilb… the guy is good in coverage… he is definitely trying to do too much right now though… when you fall outside of the top 53 and you try to force plays and usually things go bad…

Before they signed alexander, I figured Tanner Muse was going to be the backup coverage ilb… the guy is good in coverage… he is definitely trying to do too much right now though… when you fall outside of the top 53 and you try to force plays and usually things go bad…
He’s a goner…

Rookie class:
  • Broderick Jones - overall solid game, one really bad play. Work in progress.
  • JPJ - did not play
  • Keeanu Benton - completely dominated one drive and overall disruptive. Hopefully the ankle injury isn't significant.
  • Darnell Washington - a few flashes run blocking, decent overall.
  • Nick Herbig - this year he's trying to find a role as a spot pass rusher and he got the job done tonight. 1.5 sacks
  • Spencer Anderson - I saw he was in there but didn't notice him at all.
Others:
  • Kwon Alexander stood out. Opposite playing style of Devin Bush, which is a breath of fresh air. He'll play a ton this season.
  • Calvin Austin - flashed the speed we've heard about. You like to have this on offense.
  • Anthony McFarland - he still looks like he plays at a million miles per hour, but his vision has improved. A rare slow developing RB, looks like a keeper just purely for the speed element that is finally beginning to show up.
  • Kenny Pickett - amazing what a full offseason as the starter will do. Looked much more comfortable and in command.
  • Isaiahh Loudermilk - after a disappointing year 2, I thought he played well tonight.
  • Connor Heyward - jack of all trades tonight, I think he played in at least three different positions. He looked good.
Underwhelming
  • Kendrick Green - on consecutive plays he allowed a pressure, had a penalty, and a bad snap. Just a bad night. "They drafted him to be my center." Thank you for that gem, Big Ben. It doesn't look like it'll ever happen for Green.
  • Tanner Morgan - probably tripled his snap count from camp tonight. (Who the heck was hyping this guy up at camp because I didn't hear anything and he didn't throw a pass in the practices I attended). He looked like he was just in there so the other guys wouldn't get hurt. Just bad.
  • Cody White and Hakeem Butler - you have to catch the ball.
  • James Pierre - I thought he struggled early before settling in against the 12th stringers for Tampa Bay.

The top 4 WR are set in stone. After that? I assume Gunner will stick around again as WR 5. They seem to like him. Nobody wants to grab that WR 6 spot.

I could see them looking at the waiver wire or maybe trading a late pick for a vet.

McFarland is looking safe for RB3. He's the only back with breakaway speed. You want to have at least 1 speed back in the mix.

The top 4 WR are set in stone. After that? I assume Gunner will stick around again as WR 5. They seem to like him. Nobody wants to grab that WR 6 spot.

I could see them looking at the waiver wire or maybe trading a late pick for a vet.

McFarland is looking safe for RB3. He's the only back with breakaway speed. You want to have at least 1 speed back in the mix.
Without any standouts, I don't think they need to force the issue at the position because there are enough weapons on offense. Keep that extra roster spot for OL or DL, two positions the front office loaded up on during the offseason.

I thought some winners tonight were first team KP, Johnson, Pickens.
CA3
Herbig. That was against 1st team tackle. He is going to come in to spell Watt and he doesn't have to hide anything. He will get some sacks.
Robinson though he missed a couple was sudden and violent.
The Off ball linebacker FA from the Jets is gonna be on field. A lot.
Rudolph played well.
There were some losers but most comments made here.

I hope to see other punt returners vs. Bills. I don't care who gets trotted out as a kick returner cause that play no longer exists week one. In fact I'd say if you do anything but fair catch the ball in the air or let it touch back, you are cut. I want the 25 thank you.