• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Preseason Opener Vs Tampa Gameday thread

They knew they weren't winning at that point. I take it the HC was just evaluating situational football.
Yep. Agreed. Shifting thru those 3rd 4th and 5th stringers can be tricky.

Oh while I am at it I want to disagree with any notion that Broderick struggled. He played a decent amount of reps and besides that one notable play kept the pocket clean.

That late gaffe could have been fatigue on a blazing hot day precipitated by a large amount of snaps.

Overall I thought he showed well.

I hope to see other punt returners vs. Bills. I don't care who gets trotted out as a kick returner cause that play no longer exists week one. In fact I'd say if you do anything but fair catch the ball in the air or let it touch back, you are cut. I want the 25 thank you.

Preseason, the coaches tell the kick returner to run it. It's freaking preseason, time to check out the blocking and the return guy's speed/moves.

"They drafted that guy to be my center." - Big Ben

Ben didn't (couldn't) stop there, later he reiterated...But it's still funny that's the guy they got for me. Kevin Colbert and them got him to be my center my last year."
Yeah Ben, we get it, we fully understand, make no mistake, it wasn't all your fault you sucked. lol

Speaking of Colbert...Omar is to Colbert as Kwon is to Bush. A big upgrade!

one thing I do want to caution people about is that performance in preseason games only make a small percentage of the overall evaluation process for these players…

over past years there have been guys who looked great in the games lose roster spots to guys who didn’t really do anything because while they got outplayed in a few preseason snaps, that didn’t erase months of preseason practice results … so take it all with a grain of salt

Ben didn't (couldn't) stop there, later he reiterated...But it's still funny that's the guy they got for me. Kevin Colbert and them got him to be my center my last year."
Yeah Ben, we get it, we fully understand, make no mistake, it wasn't all your fault you sucked. lol

Speaking of Colbert...Omar is to Colbert as Kwon is to Bush. A big upgrade!
Meh Colbert probably ends up in the hall someday. He gets a lot of credit for those Lions teams in the 90’s. As a talent evaluator he found a ton of hall worthy players. I think our struggles in the post 2010 period were probably more a collective fail. The scouting department went through some flux and the league was drastically changing philosophies…

I would say he reached more at the end trying to get a last Super Bowl before he hung it up.
And it seems like he definitely was the driving force to get Ben to retire so they could replace him before he himself retired

over past years there have been guys who looked great in the games lose roster spots to guys who didn’t really do anything because while they got outplayed in a few preseason snaps, that didn’t erase months of preseason practice results … so take it all with a grain of salt

Preseason results mean nothing. The teams don't play their starters much, don't gameplan their defenses, don't utilize their best plays. It's like a father-son game.

What I look for is avoiding mistakes and no injuries. Steelers did not have many penalties - the personal foul was a terrible call - and did not blow timeouts. JPJ did not play, something to do with leg issue? Hoping he is healthy for the next two.

Pickett was very accurate, which was nice to see. Herbig showed pass rush skills, beating the OT on the inside move. Again, nice to see.

Meh Colbert probably ends up in the hall someday. He gets a lot of credit for those Lions teams in the 90’s. As a talent evaluator he found a ton of hall worthy players. I think our struggles in the post 2010 period were probably more a collective fail. The scouting department went through some flux and the league was drastically changing philosophies…

I would say he reached more at the end trying to get a last Super Bowl before he hung it up.
And it seems like he definitely was the driving force to get Ben to retire so they could replace him before he himself retired
I can agree, and my comment was probably unfair to Colbert, but what went down this year with the draft and acquisitions, I don't believe I've ever seen before. Even outsiders have taken note, giving this organization lots of props.

Last edited:
Preseason results mean nothing. The teams don't play their starters much, don't gameplan their defenses, don't utilize their best plays. It's like a father-son game.

What I look for is avoiding mistakes and no injuries. Steelers did not have many penalties - the personal foul was a terrible call - and did not blow timeouts. JPJ did not play, something to do with leg issue? Hoping he is healthy for the next two.

Pickett was very accurate, which was nice to see. Herbig showed pass rush skills, beating the OT on the inside move. Again, nice to see.
Back in the early 90’s I heard preseason games were about judging instincts and raw physical traits in game situations…

It also shows how they do under pressure…

Cody white, who really has been pushing for a roster spot, basically allowed a pick when his reliable hands failed him on the sideline.. he then tried to make it up by forcing big plays and had a bad drop and stupid play…

Kendrick Green had a technical breakdown that let him get blown up, then trying to counter that the next play, got called for a ticky tack holding call… you saw him arguing with the ref… he was in his own head… that horrible snap was the direct result of it

One point - yes, I 100% understand that you don't want have starters injured in preseason. Got it. But throwing the players out in week 1 and expecting them to be able to go full-bore for 60 minutes after not going more than two series in the preseason also seems a bad idea. I wonder if anybody has researched the frequency of injuries in week 1 compared to the rest of the season.

One point - yes, I 100% understand that you don't want have starters injured in preseason. Got it. But throwing the players out in week 1 and expecting them to be able to go full-bore for 60 minutes after not going more than two series in the preseason also seems a bad idea. I wonder if anybody has researched the frequency of injuries in week 1 compared to the rest of the season.
And to boot the season is longer now. So definitely a hard approach to take on as far as handing out reps. You want them ready but not burnt out and to minimize injuries. Glad I don't have to make those decisions...

Preseason, the coaches tell the kick returner to run it. It's freaking preseason, time to check out the blocking and the return guy's speed/moves.
Fact. However, if you use that practice in the regular season you are the village idiot. Free 25 every time. My only question is if the ball touches the ground you cannot fair catch?

Fact. However, if you use that practice in the regular season you are the village idiot. Free 25 every time. My only question is if the ball touches the ground you cannot fair catch?

You are correct. You can signal onside kick but once it hits the ground, it is fair game.

You are correct. You can signal onside kick but once it hits the ground, it is fair game.
Question being in an attempt to pin a team inside 25 are teams going to develop a kick strategy where ball bounces before goal line and therefore cannot he fair caught nor reach endzone

Also, I brought up point a while ago about read option rule where the q hands ball in forward motion. The national broadcaster on the TBay feed (what I got on DAZN stream) clearly stated its a penalty.

Also, I brought up point a while ago about read option rule where the q hands ball in forward motion. The national broadcaster on the TBay feed (what I got on DAZN stream) clearly stated its a penalty.
Well then he is wrong… its only past the line of scrimmage… and it isn’t a new rule… they just changed how it is penalized

Well then he is wrong… its only past the line of scrimmage… and it isn’t a new rule… they just changed how it is penalized
Not disagreeing just saying what he said. And he is paid to speak during games. It was Chris Myers who does national televised games frequently.

Not disagreeing just saying what he said. And he is paid to speak during games. It was Chris Myers who does national televised games frequently.
Announcers can be utterly clueless about the rules. It gets annoying times. A year or two ago one was crying for a push out call and that’s been out of the rulebook for a dogs age…

only past the line of scrimmage I believe.

Question being in an attempt to pin a team inside 25 are teams going to develop a kick strategy where ball bounces before goal line and therefore cannot he fair caught nor reach endzone

Almost certainly, but the risk of course is that the ball bounces sideways and goes out of bounds.