• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Presser thread

Oh yeah… also there is zero chance this move was made without triple stamped consent from AR2
Wasn't Cool Shades making excuses for Canada after the Browns game? Wasn't he defending the play calling after the game? What happened to all that noise, Cool Shades? I'll tell you what happened to it, Deuce called your @ss into his office and read the riot act, that's what.

What a bunch of typical Tomlin BS. All that talk of the Bungals and the last game give us all a break. Nothing changes, that is what is wrong with this team perfect chance to make a stance and he respectfully gives his talk. He was quite short on too many answers own up Mike you made a mistake with Canada say it in your own way. His crap of I don't blink I don't run away are you kidding.
"In short, the improvements were not rapid enough or significant enough..."

I'm sorry, what? "Improvements were not rapid or significant enough." That would more than imply that there were improvements. Really? Like, in the most crucial area, points scored. How were there ANY improvements going on there? We were at a pathetic 18 PPG last year. This year, we were at 16 PPG. Both Super Bowl teams neared 30 PPG. We are currently about half that. What "improvements" were not "rapid or significant enough" there? We were going backwards.

And, the QB performance, I'd say that is a little important in an offenses production. How was Kenny been lately? About 220 yards on passing production. Oh, no, that's not from one game, that's the last TWO games combined. Yea, Shades, the "improvement has not been significant or rapid enough." Try it's been non-existent.

I barely listen to Shades' pressers these days, but this one was significant, and all I got was more hogwash like always; his soliloquy about himself included. It's obvious he's read too much of his own press clippings. He is megalomaniac, hear him roar.

"If he would have walked in the way he walked out, he could have walked out the way he walked in."

I’m sorry I don’t buy what Tomlin is selling. The team has not fired a coach in season it’s reported since 1941 and you think Art would allow Tomlin to make this move? No way Jose! It was reported that the usual jovial Art II was visibly upset Sunday in Cleveland after the loss to rookie 5th round QB so to me the handwriting was on the wall.
I think it was Art II decision and strictly his decision. Tomlin has an enormous ego and no way he’s going to say it was Art II decision. Saying it was his alone decision. Sorry, that dog don’t hunt! I think it strictly the owner’s decision.
I'm not saying you're wrong...but I am flipping the coin...

How do we know that Coach Tomlin hasn't been 'building his case' (for weeks now starting w/ Game 1) and if we go back to his statement "significant change is coming" - could this not be the result of that???

This thread might beat the Dri Archer thread.

Tomlin made the case, clearly, that Canada was gone because of a lack of results. When pressed for details, he said "....you just know when..." or similar.

If the Deuce did force Tomlin, than the same logic will be used to measure Tomlins results. You do not win playoffs or SBs with more turnovers.

I think the Deuce is more than a bit ticked at the waste of the past 3 years. First there was no ability to run. Then new OC and 1st round RB pick. Then new 1st round QB. Now the plans made are clearly not working. The next "fix" is HC.

What happened is simple.

AR2 called Tomlin into his office and said things are not working, change needs to be made.

Tomlin “hears” what is being said. He then knows that he finally has to pull the plug, or it COULD be his ***. He then decided to can Canada.

It would then be 100% his decision

So i have a theory now…

Based on several things… first off, we knew from before he was even hired that Matt Canada was a ****** communicator… tomlin mentioned communication a dozen times in that presser..

Over on the PG chat about him getting fired, someone at tge game said that off camera Tomlin was screaming at Canada because while his struggling o was on the sidelines trying to figure stuff out… he was off sitting on a bench alone…

I think he was just never explaining anything to anyone…just telling them to run things tge way he told them to just because he said so…not only does that not develop guys… it doesn’t let them understand what you are trying to accomplish with the scheme and thus makes everyone adjust individually to what they think is supposed to happen… plays break down and we weren’t able to adapt because he was a ****** communicator… the players got fed up because they are trying to put in the work and this it all came to a head this week
So in other words, Shades’ precious “never a losing season” streak was at risk.

knowing how tight fist the Rooney family has always been with money it makes sense that it had to come from him. the reason we have never fired a coach in the middle of the season for over 80 years is because the Rooney's can't stand the thought of paying a coach not to coach no matter how bad they are.

Tomlin made the case, clearly, that Canada was gone because of a lack of results. When pressed for details, he said "....you just know when..." or similar.

If the Deuce did force Tomlin, than the same logic will be used to measure Tomlins results. You do not win playoffs or SBs with more turnovers.

I think the Deuce is more than a bit ticked at the waste of the past 3 years. First there was no ability to run. Then new OC and 1st round RB pick. Then new 1st round QB. Now the plans made are clearly not working. The next "fix" is HC.
Tomlin hired a coordinator who had 1 good and 1 great year as a college coordinator. Did he expect any different? The offense stunk with Roethlisberger and they kept him. It stunk again in 2022 and they kept him. It stinks again this year. Canada was never going to work out and the Steelers wasted a lot of time employing him as OC.

NOT a chance in hell Tomlin did this on his own. Art Deuce had a meeting with Coach Tomlin and one way or the other, they came up with this.

Salute the nation
Sure he did......Art is not going to meddle, it's not what the Rooneys do. The only time Tomlin has gone to Art on personnel decisions was the hiring of Brian Flores. And that's because Flores is a pariah(and victim of attempted blacklisting) for exposing the racism in the league ownership through litigation.This could have brought friction to Art from the other 31 so Tomlin made sure he was good with it...he was.

Wasn't Cool Shades making excuses for Canada after the Browns game? Wasn't he defending the play calling after the game? What happened to all that noise, Cool Shades? I'll tell you what happened to it, Deuce called your @ss into his office and read the riot act, that's what.
What happened was Najee Harris, and before that Dionte Johnson, and before that George Pickens, and before that even Chris Boswell, and before that Steeler Nation. This is an act of self preservation as he was about to lose the team. I don't know why it's so important to some for it to have been Art that fired him when that makes no sense...none. Just the conspiracy to lie is not worth the effort. When if it was exposed(and it would be) it would disgrace the team and the Rooneys badly. What is more likely? I'll tell you what is, and that is that a reporter made up something to get a scoop. Whenever you see " unnamed sources" or in this case "team sources" in the media walk away....You think Rooney had a meeting about setting up this lie with others, or even discussed it with others if it was true?...LOL. I get it we are football fans logic is not supposed to be a strength, but c'mon. You think Tomlin is going to step up to the mic with a bald faced lie like that? He's not a stupid person, he sucks as a coach in my book but that is a whole other story based on 17 years of watching what he puts on the field.

Last edited:
Tomlin hired a coordinator who had 1 good and 1 great year as a college coordinator. Did he expect any different? The offense stunk with Roethlisberger and they kept him. It stunk again in 2022 and they kept him. It stinks again this year. Canada was never going to work out and the Steelers wasted a lot of time employing him as OC.
College OC to NFL QB coach is kind of a natural progression but not moving to NFL OC after one year. Besides his other faults, Duh was simply overmatched in a job he wasn’t ready for.

College OC to NFL QB coach is kind of a natural progression but not moving to NFL OC after one year. Besides his other faults, Duh was simply overmatched in a job he wasn’t ready for.
For some. Canada's trajectory should've never included NFL offensive coordinator. He was fired as NC State OC, one great year with a Pitt team loaded with talent, fired from LSU, essentially fired from Maryland, and now fired from the Steelers. I get it's the nature of coaches to get fired, but he's basically been fired from 5 of his past 6 jobs.

Sure he did......Art is not going to meddle, it's not what the Rooneys do. The only time Tomlin has gone to Art on personnel decisions was the hiring of Brian Flores. And that's because Flores is a pariah(and victim of attempted blacklisting) for exposing the racism in the league ownership through litigation.This could have brought friction to Art from the other 31 so Tomlin made sure he was good with it...he was.

SORRY, you have as little knowledge of the fact as I do. There is more contact between owner and staff than you may think is possible. Rooney is a smart business man and smart business owners keep in touch with things pertaining to their business.

Salute the nation

I am convinced that Tomlin is related to Kamala some how…they both have the same stupid *** press conference style trying to sound smarter then they actually are.

I don't know......but for Tomlin to keep Canada and this horrible offensive concept around for 2 and a half seasons is reason enough for him to be canned also. Rooney are you reading THIS!!!!!! Make it happen!!!!

I am convinced that Tomlin is related to Kamala some how…they both have the same stupid *** press conference style trying to sound smarter then they actually are.
Sorry.....nothing Kamala has ever said has ever sounded smart.

knowing how tight fist the Rooney family has always been with money it makes sense that it had to come from him. the reason we have never fired a coach in the middle of the season for over 80 years is because the Rooney's can't stand the thought of paying a coach not to coach no matter how bad they are.

And I don't care what anyone says: That's it in a nutshell. Rooneys are too cheap to deal with paying someone for not working, it drives their blood to a boil. There is a reason they have not done it for 80 years.

Since this came down today I have been ruminating on it. It had to happen.

But here is a caveat. I read here all the time the complaints about how these ain't your father's Steelers. Hell, they aren't my Steelers, I'm at the age where I am the father. One of the things that has made this organization what it is over the years is that the inmates didn't run the asylum. It is one of the benefits of staying with a coach. You give these young, immature with the minds of 14 year olds the idea that they have too much power, it's over. What is the next wha, wah gonna be? They got what they wanted now, but there are still gonna be tough moments. Will it be Faulkner's fault, or Sullivan or whoever the OC is next year? Do they just cry and whine when the going gets tough from here on out cause they think they can get rid of a coach? These things have to be considered and handled...crushed for that matter.

Since this came down today I have been ruminating on it. It had to happen.

But here is a caveat. I read here all the time the complaints about how these ain't your father's Steelers. Hell, they aren't my Steelers, I'm at the age where I am the father. One of the things that has made this organization what it is over the years is that the inmates didn't run the asylum. It is one of the benefits of staying with a coach. You give these young, immature with the minds of 14 year olds the idea that they have too much power, it's over. What is the next wha, wah gonna be? They got what they wanted now, but there are still gonna be tough moments. Will it be Faulkner's fault, or Sullivan or whoever the OC is next year? Do they just cry and whine when the going gets tough from here on out cause they think they can get rid of a coach? These things have to be considered and handled...crushed for that matter.
Everyone other than Mike Tomlin wanted this move two years ago. Let them cry and whine to make a move at head coach next.