• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Presser thread

Everyone other than Mike Tomlin wanted this move two years ago. Let them cry and whine to make a move at head coach next.
That's fine. Welcome to the world of what it's like to be a Cleveland Brown fan over the last 25 years. And I agree, they need to move on from Tomlin. But it cannot become the norm.

I always felt the best coaching job Bill Cowher ever did that we saw was when you saw him on the sideline after TPs pick got overturned against the Colts in the playoffs. He never let the players feel sorry for themselves. He didn't feed the beast of whining over the call. You can't. If I was the organization, the first move now, before anything else, is calling a meeting of the team and reminding them that ok, you got what you wanted. It is now time to put up or shut up.

Since this came down today I have been ruminating on it. It had to happen.

But here is a caveat. I read here all the time the complaints about how these ain't your father's Steelers. Hell, they aren't my Steelers, I'm at the age where I am the father. One of the things that has made this organization what it is over the years is that the inmates didn't run the asylum. It is one of the benefits of staying with a coach. You give these young, immature with the minds of 14 year olds the idea that they have too much power, it's over. What is the next wha, wah gonna be? They got what they wanted now, but there are still gonna be tough moments. Will it be Faulkner's fault, or Sullivan or whoever the OC is next year? Do they just cry and whine when the going gets tough from here on out cause they think they can get rid of a coach? These things have to be considered and handled...crushed for that matter.
I get what you are saying and agree with it, but our offense is abysmal and is not an nfl offense. It should have never got to the point where xplayers, media, fans, etc etc created a national campaign to fire a coach. Has that ever happened in sports before? I understood bringing Canada back because the offense showed signs of life at the end of the year and looked like a juggernaut in the pre-season. Once the regular season started, it regressed back to beginning of last year and there was major disconnect.

I get what you are saying and agree with it, but our offense is abysmal and is not an nfl offense. It should have never got to the point where xplayers, media, fans, etc etc created a national campaign to fire a coach. Has that ever happened in sports before? I understood bringing Canada back because the offense showed signs of life at the end of the year and looked like a juggernaut in the pre-season. Once the regular season started, it regressed back to beginning of last year and there was major disconnect.
I'm just saying they gotta be careful. DJ and Pickens, for example, haven't matured in their heads beyond a 14 year old it seems. It's always the receivers, huh? Too bad you have to have them. But anyway, the move absolutely had to be made and it should have been made earlier. Tomlin created the mess by not moving on after last year. I get that. But if these players get too much of an idea that they complained and whined and a change was made...look out. It's gonna be an interesting last 7 games.

I think if they were dealing with a room full of mature guys this is no big deal. Some of these guys though, man, the immaturity. Every team has this problem, and I think overall the Steelers have navigated it better or more consistently than most other teams, which is why they never become the Panthers or something. I look at the Eagles for example. Does anyone else get the idea that for a 9-1 team, they seem like there could be an implosion there with AJ Brown if things get tough. He's throwing his hands in the air if he doesn't get the ball, it's crazy. They are 9-1!

Yeah WRs are a quirky group. As far as the Steelers i think the players were being tired of being called out. I do not think i have ever heard Canada say he was at fault for anything. Tomlin has occasionally, but he also mostly blames execution.

Since this came down today I have been ruminating on it. It had to happen.

But here is a caveat. I read here all the time the complaints about how these ain't your father's Steelers. Hell, they aren't my Steelers, I'm at the age where I am the father. One of the things that has made this organization what it is over the years is that the inmates didn't run the asylum. It is one of the benefits of staying with a coach. You give these young, immature with the minds of 14 year olds the idea that they have too much power, it's over. What is the next wha, wah gonna be? They got what they wanted now, but there are still gonna be tough moments. Will it be Faulkner's fault, or Sullivan or whoever the OC is next year? Do they just cry and whine when the going gets tough from here on out cause they think they can get rid of a coach? These things have to be considered and handled...crushed for that matter.
The thing is that somehow the team has a winning record and a serious chance to get to the playoffs, if you stay with such an inept offense (of course there's no assurance that the change will improve the offense, but staying doing the same definitely wouldn't) you are putting the nails in the coffin not just of the season but also of the 1st round pick you invested 2 years ago on Kenny Pickett. They have a year and less than a half left to see if he will be worth a 2nd contract and thus the keys to the franchise's offense.

So, beyond the mutiny or whatever might be going on in the locker room there were two serious reasons weighting heavily together (the weighty reasons, obviously) to make this move:
1. The team could still make it to the playoffs. If this were a losing season probably he would have stayed till the end of it.
2. With Canada there was zero improvement in your high investment. If the starting QB were a journeyman there would be way less pressure to can the OC.

It should have never got to the point where xplayers, media, fans, etc etc created a national campaign to fire a coach. Has that ever happened in sports before?
Hurricanes fans revolted and paid for banners to be flown at game time to fire Golden. Shortly after a series of them he was fired.

That's fine. Welcome to the world of what it's like to be a Cleveland Brown fan over the last 25 years. And I agree, they need to move on from Tomlin. But it cannot become the norm.
How in the world does this relate to what it's like being a Browns fan?

You advanced the idea that next the players should ***** and moan to see if that could make Tomlin gone. I think that is a terrible idea. The Browns have been through 8 or 9 coaches in the time Tomlin has coached the Steelers. Part of the reason for that has been players bitching and moaning. How has that worked out for Cleveland and their fans?

You advanced the idea that next the players should ***** and moan to see if that could make Tomlin gone. I think that is a terrible idea. The Browns have been through 8 or 9 coaches in the time Tomlin has coached the Steelers. Part of the reason for that has been players bitching and moaning. How has that worked out for Cleveland and their fans?

That doesn't mean it's like being Browns fans. The Browns are the most ridiculed and dysfunctional franchise in the history of professional sports. I could write a book.
We are nowhere close to being like Browns fans.

Steelers have held onto coaches for a considerable amount of time. If they try to replace Tomlin it wouldn't be like they were rotating coaches like Cleveland has a history of. The teams approach is stale and won't see them be competitive when it matters. That would be competing for championships. They are just competing for winning seasons.

Steelers have held onto coaches for a considerable amount of time. If they try to replace Tomlin it wouldn't be like they were rotating coaches like Cleveland has a history of. The teams approach is stale and won't see them be competitive when it matters. That would be competing for championships. They are just competing for winning seasons.
Wait. I'm not saying they shouldn't replace Tomlin. I think they should. I just think it is dangerous if the direct reason is because of player discontent like it appears the case is with Matt Canada. Because we have all seen the results, it has been ongoing, and no change. Now the narrative is the players caused the change. I'm just saying when the inmates start running the asylum...like they have been in places like Cleveland, the results are not good.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean it's like being Browns fans. The Browns are the most ridiculed and dysfunctional franchise in the history of professional sports. I could write a book.
We are nowhere close to being like Browns fans.
Right. And the fast track to becoming that type of franchise is to give into player discontent too often. I truly believe that part of the reason the Steelers have been so solid over the years is because players know that they can't just gripe and bingo! a coach is out. But they tasted it now. We are not exactly dealing with mature athletes here. Matt Canada had to go. It should have been done at the latest at the end of last year. Then it just could have been results oriented. It still is, but now you have this added component of the players griping and moaning.

And I say this because these players aren't clean here. They have contributed their part to the shiitshow that is the Steeler offense. Pickett has stunk. Diontae Johnson and George Pickens have their heads up their own ***** a good bit. Najee Harris runs to darkness too much. Half the line blocks well, the other half is like the keystone cops depending on the play. Yeah, a lot of the problem is coaching. But damn, these million dollar babies gotta play better.

But they have a convenient excuse now. The coach sucked. It always someone or something else.

It was more in jest. The Steelers need to evaluate the head coaching position regardless of what the players think. They've also gone through 8 or 9 coaches not because of the players whining, but because their owner has zero patience or they've made bad hires.

Wait. I'm not saying they shouldn't replace Tomlin. I think they should. I just think it is dangerous if the direct reason is because of player discontent like it appears the case is with Matt Canada. Because we have all seen the results, it has been ongoing, and no change. Now the narrative is the players caused the change. I'm just saying when the inmates start running the asylum...like they have been in places like Cleveland, the results are not good.
Players are going to have a breaking point when Canada lasted two years too long. That is directly on Tomlin for not making the move seeing how ineffective the offense was during Canada's first two seasons with the team and was getting worse throughout the third season. If he makes the move over the bye week, there isn't a threat to lose the locker room. Pretty much the only way you lose an NFL locker room is by losing or not effectively communicating playing time or roles to individual players (Harrison Blount, Ingram, etc.)

This team is a lot closer to a Marvin Lewis or Jeff Fisher coached team than anything the Browns have been since returning to the NFL.

Right. And the fast track to becoming that type of franchise is to give into player discontent too often. I truly believe that part of the reason the Steelers have been so solid over the years is because players know that they can't just gripe and bingo! a coach is out. But they tasted it now. We are not exactly dealing with mature athletes here. Matt Canada had to go. It should have been done at the latest at the end of last year. Then it just could have been results oriented. It still is, but now you have this added component of the players griping and moaning.
Ok but that still doesn't equate to feeling like "woe is me" Browns fan.
I once had posted all the incidents involving Browns players and the examples of dysfunction since their team returned in 1999. I dread to have to do it again.

Last edited:
Tomlin has vast experience in the NFL. I would think he has many contacts as well. He also should have a keen eye for player talent as well as coaches. We have draft picks that don't play as expected. Coaches that don't excel in their craft. All under the supervision of Tomlin. The man with vast experience. The coach that all of the talking heads love ( except for Bradshaw).

Ok but that still doesn't equate to feeling like "woe is me" Browns fan.
I once had posted all the incidents involving Browns players and the examples of dysfunction since their team returned in 1999. I dread to have to do it again.
I was exaggerating to clarify.

Tomlin has vast experience in the NFL. I would think he has many contacts as well. He also should have a keen eye for player talent as well as coaches. We have draft picks that don't play as expected. Coaches that don't excel in their craft. All under the supervision of Tomlin. The man with vast experience. The coach that all of the talking heads love ( except for Bradshaw).
This is a comment towards the "fraud" of Cool Shades. It is a real and tangible occurrence that has taken place, more and more so, over the passing years and it of course, bleeds over to the team itself, unfortunately. The young, self-deprecating, humble, unpretentious man of 2008 is long gone., now replaced by a megalomaniacal, smug egotist who has read his press clippings for a decade and a half. He can still spout self-critical musings from time to time, but only as a cover.

Do you remember the Cool Shades who spoke of there not being a manual for the head coaching job, after he admitted "running the team to a nub" his 1st year as head coach (thereby limping the team to the playoffs where an obviously much-fresher Jags team beat us as we seemed to be running in sand all day, especially on the 4th down that was the eventual game winning play?)

The year after, we saw a much more balanced Cool Shades win the Super Bowl. Now that coach is long gone. His megalomania now leads his course. His #1 guiding light is to prove his brilliance (or, rather, to keep up the scam of it). And that's just not an effective route to take, and it has proven otherwise.

Is this dismissal of an assistant coach mid-season a sign of a total awakening of the Rooneys, one that will continue down the path of truth and enlightenment? Or is it a mere "bump" in staying the same, drone-like course, where decisions take years longer than how the rest of the world sees things? The vast majority wondered in amazement as the news of Canada's return was finalized. Those of us who greatly questioned his return were proven correct; Shades and Rooney's judgement was proven faulty and erroneous. How many other slow or sedentary decisions will prove likewise?Sticking to Harrison as starting RB seems to be another decision the majority see more accurately than do those in charge. Many of us knew Warren deserved more carries even going back to last year, and yet, those in charge didn't or couldn't see this obvious fact. If Kenny continues to suffer, how much longer will we be forced to deal with such a below-average QB being our starter? And then the big question: How much longer will we have to suffer from an average head coach never approaching a Super Bowl? Another decade?

That rang another bell for me. lol

I'm thinking about the design for my bag.

bags-150x150.jpg

bagbrown.jpg

f-rootforlosem-c76bb2a.jpg

dawgpoop2.jpg

0-Super-Bowls.jpg

doc4b02af1b973018125695822.jpg

610x2.jpg

baggg.jpg

brownsfanbottle.jpg

baltsigh2.jpg

i-cry.jpg

Last edited:
One picture to describe how Browns fans have felt.

steelers-james-harrison-slams-browns-fan.jpg

One picture to describe how Steeler fans have been feeling recently.

cowher-400x400.jpg

Our new OC came out talking tough to the press. He used the same tough guy tactics that Tomlin uses. Hoping his tough man routine will keep the press from asking tough questions. It sounds like he knows he is in over his head. I hope I'm wrong, but Tomlin hires have been failures.