• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pressley Harvin III: A Changing of the Guard at Punter

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What if I told you that, statistically, Jordan Berry is one of the, if not, the best punter that the Pittsburgh Steelers have ever had?

His average net yardage on punts is 39.9 yards since he became the Steelers punter back in 2015, which is the highest out of any Steelers punter since 1976 (the year average net yardage in punts began to be calculated). Berry holds the record for longest punt in Steelers history with a 79-yard boot in his rookie season back in 2015. He has also put 154 punts inside the 20, second only to Josh Miller. Bobby Walden and Miller both have a case, but Berry, believe it or not, has some of the best numbers of any Steelers punter ever.

By no means are his numbers mind blowing. The position of punter has not truly provided the Steelers with game-changing ability in some time now. That is why the Steelers used a seventh round draft on Pressley Harvin III in the 2021 NFL Draft. To put into perspective how good this kid can be, Berry has a gross average of 44.4 yards per punt since becoming a Steeler. Harvin’s last season at Georgia Tech was 48.0.

The Steelers have almost never addressed the position in the draft. Daniel Sepulveda was an exception to that in 2007 when Kevin Colbert selected him in the fourth round. Injuries derailed his career and he never fulfilled his full potential. The hope is Harvin can be the answer that the Steelers have been looking for.

Many people have analyzed the Steelers first preseason game of the season vs. the Dallas Cowboys and Harvin has been at the forefront of conversation, as he should be. He punted four times averaging 45.8 yards and put three of them inside the 20 including a thing of beauty pinning the Cowboys at the one-yard line with 2:00 left in the first half. Those kinds of punts have the opportunity to be game-changing for the Steelers this season. A short field for the offense and a long field for the opponent will lead to winning games. It is no secret that the Steelers schedule is difficult this season and field position will make all the difference.

This is by no means a knock on Berry. He was never the best punter in the league or could find a way to pin opponents inside the five-yard line, but he provided stability, and throughout his time, only had one punt blocked. This is more excitement towards Harvin’s potential.

Harvin played high school football in South Carolina before traveling to Georgia Tech for college. It will be interesting to see how he handles playing in Pittsburgh and up north during the winter months. It becomes a lot different when rain, snow and freezing hands are brought into the mix.

We received a small sample size of what is to come for the Steelers punting unit in the Hall of Fame Game and it seems as if the guard is changing. Thank you to Berry for his years in the black and gold, but the future is now and his name is Pressley Harvin III. I can’t wait to watch this 263 pound beast punt balls into the atmosphere. Okay, maybe that’s a little much, but let me get excited here. I’ve been waiting for a Pro Bowl caliber punter for years and I think he now may be here.

What did you make out of Harvin’s NFL debut? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

You don’t draft a punter unless you expect him to make the squad. Harvin has a big leg and seems to have several skill punts in his arsenal… plus he adds a whole dynamic to fake punts and kicks with his arm…. He is basically a lock unless he totally blows down the stretch
I sort of agree but the PS is there for late picks who don't make the final 53. In Harvin's case he has an unique skillset and on his worse days seem to be very close to Berry's production on his best days, boom. Directional punting and inside the 20 and hang time will factor in but yeah see no reason he doesn't win the job.

Noll didn’t focus at all on special teams. He barely practiced it & it was clear in Super Bowl X how much advantage the Cowboys had in exploiting it. He trusted his defense more than punting game when it came down to it. Super Bowl IX was a shutout win if not for special teams.

Being honest—Roy Gerela & Bobby Walden were not very good relative to the rest of league. It’s just team was so good they got away with it.

Gary Anderson was very vocal about it in 85. It can be argued our poor special teams kept us out of playoffs. Harry Newsome had a record 6 punts blocked in 1988.

I still remember Cowher bringing in Bobby April - who was considered best special teams coach in league at the time - after we blew the 93 playoff game vs. Kansas City after a late blocked punt.

We’ve had great kickers but never anyone outstanding over long term at punting. Like mentioned, they went after Sepulveda in 4th round and he was coming off winning a bunch of honors in college—but early injuries derailed his chances. Overall history , special teams has had a few bright spots with returns (Woodson & Randel-El) and some solid to great kickers, but as an overall unit it’s never been an area that Steelers have been exceptional in, and it’s cost them multiple times — biggest was 2001 AFC Championship.

For a punter, tgere are really important stats and gravy stats…

the basics are always going to be distance and hang time. The speed he gets it off also matters…

after that its all the directional punting, backspin, and other trick skills you can put on the ball… they are great but ultimately don’t matter as much as you think in a field position game anymore…

i think this kid is showing a little of everything though

Noll didn’t focus at all on special teams. He barely practiced it & it was clear in Super Bowl X how much advantage the Cowboys had in exploiting it. He trusted his defense more than punting game when it came down to it. Super Bowl IX was a shutout win if not for special teams.

Being honest—Roy Gerela & Bobby Walden were not very good relative to the rest of league. It’s just team was so good they got away with it.

Gary Anderson was very vocal about it in 85. It can be argued our poor special teams kept us out of playoffs. Harry Newsome had a record 6 punts blocked in 1988.

I still remember Cowher bringing in Bobby April - who was considered best special teams coach in league at the time - after we blew the 93 playoff game vs. Kansas City after a late blocked punt.

We’ve had great kickers but never anyone outstanding over long term at punting. Like mentioned, they went after Sepulveda in 4th round and he was coming off winning a bunch of honors in college—but early injuries derailed his chances. Overall history , special teams has had a few bright spots with returns (Woodson & Randel-El) and some solid to great kickers, but as an overall unit it’s never been an area that Steelers have been exceptional in, and it’s cost them multiple times — biggest was 2001 AFC Championship.
If only we got Lee instead of having to draft Sepulveda. Would have been a much different punting team for a decade.

Hang time is shown to be VERY good for Pressley and I even liked the line drive fumble. I know it's early but I think Berry is as well as gone.

It's unique that Berry is the best punter the STEELERS have had since 1976 and yet our own beloved Coach wanted him gone for so many years................

Salute the nation

I remember looking up Berry's stats a year or two ago. He was solidly mid-pack in every category, So he's not horrible and he's not great. Also seems to get injured once in a while and miss some games. If you have a chance to upgrade I'd say do it.

Hang time is shown to be VERY good for Pressley and I even liked the line drive fumble. I know it's early but I think Berry is as well as gone.

It's unique that Berry is the best punter the STEELERS have had since 1976 and yet our own beloved Coach wanted him gone for so many years................

Salute the nation
Is Berry really the best punter the Steelers have had since 1976 in terms of his actual influence on outcome of games, or does he just have the longest average punting stats (which is not the same thing)? I can see exactly why Coach wanted Berry gone - he has a terrible habit of failing to punt the ball across the halfway line when punting from inside his own half, giving the opponent a short field, at crucial times in close games.

Is Berry really the best punter the Steelers have had since 1976 in terms of his actual influence on outcome of games, or does he just have the longest average punting stats (which is not the same thing)? I can see exactly why Coach wanted Berry gone - he has a terrible habit of failing to punt the ball across the halfway line when punting from inside his own half, giving the opponent a short field, at crucial times in close games.

The article says that is the case. Read it if you haven't as it is a pretty good article.

I hear exactly what you are saying and I myself have been on the wagon of replacing Berry too !!! Last year was a 1/2 assed attempt as Collquit wasn't that much or serious competition. The year before they brought in kids off the street so that wasn't serious cometition either.

Bottom line is Pressley Harvin 3rd has a very legitamit shot here and he is taking his oppertunities seriously. We saw how much of a game changer he can be and in all of Berry's career I never seen this ability displayed to this degree ever.

Time will tell and the more Harvin is show-cased the more convinced we will become that he is the real deal.

Salute the nation

Oh no! The Aussie Poster turning on the Aussie Punter!! Say it ain't so!!!

I hope we have a Berry/ Brad Wing scenario this year when we traded Wing to the Giants for a 7th. If we can get a 7th for Berry, we got PH3 for NOTHING!!!

No problem with the pick. the 7th round is usually for those long-shot guys anyway. Glad he picked a guy who might play a part.
Liked the pick at the time, really starting to love it. A great punt can change the momentum of the game in an instant, and Harvin looks like a great punter to me. Berry has almost always been unremarkable and average at best.

He showed me a different punt every time he had the opportunity to get on the field. I've never seen that before.

PLUS, he has those fakes in the utility belt as well...

Per Tomlin one factor in choosing between a punter competition is the ability to hold for the kicker. Which he went on to say neither punter had issues in this regard and wouldn't be a deciding factor come decision cut down time. BBBB (Bye Berry brighter days baby) or maybe not.

I sort of agree but the PS is there for late picks who don't make the final 53. In Harvin's case he has an unique skillset and on his worse days seem to be very close to Berry's production on his best days, boom. Directional punting and inside the 20 and hang time will factor in but yeah see no reason he doesn't win the job.
Practice squad wouldn't work here, though. The first time another team needed a punter, he'd be gone. The practice squad is only good if the player you put there isn't desirable to other teams.

he provided stability, and throughout his time, only had one punt blocked.
Chris Gardocki, on the other hand...

Practice squad wouldn't work here, though. The first time another team needed a punter, he'd be gone. The practice squad is only good if the player you put there isn't desirable to other teams.
Very true.

True, no way PH3 would last a day on the PS. He's a starting punter in this league and will be our next and first great Steeler punter!