• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Puerto Rico - question?

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any good reason our President hasn't addressed the plight of millions of Americans in Puerto Rico currently suffering from no food, water or electricity? Yet finds ample time to raise tensions and divisiveness with NFL and NBA players and the African American community?

Puerto Rico (Spanish for "Rich Port"), officially the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and briefly called Porto Rico, is an unincorporated territory of the United States ..

GettyImages_853157646.0.jpg

“Hysteria is starting to spread”: Puerto Rico is devastated in the wake of Hurricane Maria

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...ry-san-juan-hospitals-electricty-cell-service

Five days after Hurricane Maria tore through Puerto Rico, bisecting the entire island, the US territory is in the grips of a serious, life-threatening crisis, with humanitarian aid getting in far more slowly than is needed.

The island is running short on food, fuel, and access to clean water and there’s limited communications, which means some communities have received no information about the rescue efforts underway.

Among the greatest threats is the continuing lack of power throughout much of the island, after nearly the entire power grid was knocked offline during the storm (about 80 percent of the transmission infrastructure was destroyed). The New York Times reports it could be four to six months before power is restored on the island. That’s half a year with Puerto Rico’s 3.4 million residents relying on generators, half a year without air conditioning in the tropical climate, half a year where electric pumps can’t bring running water into homes, half a year where even the most basic tasks of modern life are made difficult.

Last edited:
Because there's nothing for him to get out of it so he don't give a ****.

Next question.

[h=1]US government satellite image shows Puerto Rico blackout[/h]

_98009395_captuvgaefgq324t5r13re.jpg

I'm not sure to what extent he addressed the media, but I'm sure he did. Trying to be objective here. What exactly are you looking for? I would assume he will eventually visit, but there is always the the differing opinions of how soon is too soon.

I'm not sure to what extent he addressed the media, but I'm sure he did
Your assumption is incorrect. He's railed wildly against NFL and NBA players all weekend but has been completely silent on this. Truly unbelievable for a President to be this incompetent on the job. Our thoughts and prayers should be with all those in Puerto Rico who must wonder if the White House has been deserted. Void of any and all leadership.

Donald Trump criticised for silence over Puerto Rico disaster
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...lence-over-puerto-rico-disaster-a7965356.html

Donald Trump has been criticised for his silence after Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico, whose 3.4 million inhabitants are US citizens.

At least 13 people are dead and the entire country remains without power after the worst storm for decades hit the island nation on Wednesday.

Many of the country’s hospitals are dependent on diesel generators, and patients have been flown to the US for treatment.

Officials in the country fear there may be more devastation to come, if the large dam along the Guajatacata River fails. Up to 70,000 people who live within the river's flood plain have been told to leave their homes. Puerto Rico is an unincorporated US territory, meaning its inhabitants have qualified US citizenship, and it is entitled to federal emergency funds.

Trump's recent silence on Puerto Rico devastation has social media astir
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...devastation-has-social-media-astir/700942001/

WASHINGTON — Since Saturday, President Trump has tweeted about NFL players not standing for the National Anthem (14 times), the Senate bill to replace Obamacare (five times), and White House ceremonies for championship teams (twice).

But of the 27 tweets from his account during that period, none have mentioned the continuing devastation faced by the island of Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory mercilessly battered by Hurricane Maria last week.

Lawmakers condemn President Trump for silence on Puerto Rico crisis while he rants about NFL
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...noring-puerto-rico-nfl-feud-article-1.3520339

Raging lawmakers on Monday gave President Trump a reminder that, while he’s been ranting about the NFL for four days in a row, he hasn’t tweeted a word about the deadly devastation in storm-ravaged Puerto Rico.

“We need the federal government to act,” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at a gathering of the Business Council of New York State.

“All the hubbub about NFL football players — focus on Puerto Rico, focus on priorities.”

Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.) wrote in a tweet to Trump, “Mr. President, instead of dividing the country over this you could give support to the 3.4 million Americans without power in Puerto Rico.”

Trump’s Twitter silence about Puerto Rico’s devastation is deafening
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/trump-response-puerto-rico/

It has been five days since Hurricane Maria destroyed Puerto Rico. Thirteen people have died. All of the island nation is without power and may remain so for up to six months.

Around 70,000 people living in the Guajatacata River’s floodplain have been forced to evacuate their homes. According to Puerto Rico’s Resident Commissioner Jenniffer Gonzalez, the destruction will set the country back “nearly 20 to 30 years.”

So, where is President Donald Trump?

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, meaning its 3.4 million people are citizens of the United States. While the Pentagon said it has dispatched members of Army Corps engineers—4,000 Army Reserve members have been also deployed to the country, along with 1,600 Nation Guard members, according to FEMA—Trump hasn’t said much about Puerto Rico since the hurricane first hit on Wednesday. He instead spent his weekend tweeting over a dozen times about sports figures and kneeling for the flag, interspersed with threats to North Korea and insults to senators who don’t want to repeal Obamacare.

I'm not sure to what extent he addressed the media, but I'm sure he did. Trying to be objective here. What exactly are you looking for? I would assume he will eventually visit, but there is always the the differing opinions of how soon is too soon.

There economy was ****** before this happened, and a mass exodus of over a million people had taken place. Expect many more Puerto Ricans to move stateside in the coming months/years. Too bad. It's a beautiful island.

There economy was ****** before this happened, and a mass exodus of over a million people had taken place. Expect many more Puerto Ricans to move stateside in the coming months/years. Too bad. It's a beautiful island.

Why did you quote me? Your statement did not address my comment at all.

Your assumption is incorrect. He's railed wildly against NFL and NBA players all weekend but has been completely silent on this. Truly unbelievable for a President to be this incompetent on the job. Our thoughts and prayers should be with all those in Puerto Rico who must wonder if the White House has been deserted. Void of any and all leadership.

Donald Trump criticised for silence over Puerto Rico disaster
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...lence-over-puerto-rico-disaster-a7965356.html

Trump's recent silence on Puerto Rico devastation has social media astir
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...devastation-has-social-media-astir/700942001/

Lawmakers condemn President Trump for silence on Puerto Rico crisis while he rants about NFL
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...noring-puerto-rico-nfl-feud-article-1.3520339

Trump’s Twitter silence about Puerto Rico’s devastation is deafening
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/trump-response-puerto-rico/

Because tweeting about it will rebuild the island? So do you want him tweeting or not?

That's fine. Now let's suppose anyone other than Donald Trump is president. What would you expect them to be doing other than stating that the government is there to help them through this?

That's fine. Now let's suppose anyone other than Donald Trump is president. What would you expect them to be doing other than stating that the government is there to help them through this?

You know good and doggone well Obama would not have missed the photo op with Spanish speaking brown people! Boots on the ground!

Because tweeting about it will rebuild the island? So do you want him tweeting or not?

Come on Buster. You know as well as I do Trump lives his entire presidency through his Twitter feed. By ignoring this truly devastating situation affecting millions of US citizens just shows you how tone deaf and out of touch with real issues he is.

I know you two probably think I'm 100% behind Trump, but if you look at all of my posts, I try to look at things logically and objectively. I was not an Obama supporter but if he were in this situation I would be asking the same question...What exactly can he do to make an immediate difference?

What exactly can he do to make an immediate difference?
The burn is strong on this one. Damn, just waiting for Trump to attack our former Presidents for stepping up in his absence.

5 Ex-Presidents Just Teamed Up To Help Save Puerto Rico
http://prediter.com/5-ex-presidents-just-teamed-help-save-puerto-rico/

The United States has a president but no leader. Donald Trump is pathologically incapable or unwilling to take on any of the responsibilities that come with the Oval Office, preferring instead to engage in petty Twitter feuds on a daily basis.

Trump has completely botched the response to Hurricane Maria, which devastated Puerto Rico. Rather than rally the American people in solidarity to spearhead the much-needed relief efforts, the president has devoted all his efforts to slamming NFL players.

Recognizing the stunning lack of presidential guidance, all five former presidents have risen to the occasion and stepped in to help Puerto Rico. Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama have teamed up to save the American territory

The initiative, entitled “One America Appeal,” enables contributive parties to donate to United for Puerto Rico and The Fund for the Virgin Islands, reports The Hill.The 501(c)(3)’s were started in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, but have expanded to also give to relief efforts for Hurricane Irma and Maria. One hundred percent of all donations will go to hurricane recovery.

“Now individuals, foundations and institutions making tax deductible donations at OneAmericaAppeal.org may choose to assist all three recovery efforts from Hurricanes Harvey in Texas, Irma in Florida and Maria in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands — or to direct their donation to a specific recovery effort — using the drop-down menu in the website’s donation section,” One America Appeal said in a press release.

Moments like these remind one what it was like to have a real president in the White House. Regardless of what one thinks of the former presidents — and legitimate criticism can be leveled at each of them — it can’t be denied that any single one of them would do an infinitely better job responding to the hurricane crisis than Trump has managed.

Click here to donate.

That is great that they did this. I'm not sure that a sitting president would be expected to do so.

That is great that they did this. I'm not sure that a sitting president would be expected to do so.

No, the sitting president is expected to attack and insult NFL players in a hissy fit like a spoiled child while millions go without food, power and water. You probably don't see yourself this way, but your posts show you're as much a Trump apologist as anyone on the board.

Actions not words. Before you even started pissing and moaning an entire MEU was dispatched Tibs.

You mean like how a sitting President (Obama) went golfing while the US was facing natural disaster? And frankly, I didn't think that was that big of a deal either, but some of you liberals are pathetic. No matter what Trump does or doesn't do, he's 100% wrong. And you wonder why he doesn't give a damn what you think.............