• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Put your favorite options to replace Canaduh here.

GO
Ryan Grubb

RYAN GRUBB

• TITLE Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach

When Kalen DeBoer was named Washington's new head football coach, the first staff member he announced was Ryan Grubb, who joins the Huskies as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Grubb was a member of DeBoer's staff at Fresno State the last two seasons, serving as associate head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

In his first season on Montlake, Grubb helped guide the Husky offense to some of its highest heights while also coaching quarterback Michael Penix Jr. to one of the most prolific seasons in Husky history.

Washington led the nation in both passing offense (369.8 yards per game) and third-down conversions (57 percent) while also finishing second in total offense (515.8 yards per game). Just one season earlier, Washington finished the season 73rd in pass offense and 114th in total offense.

The Huskies also had top-25 finishes in sacks allowed (2nd), first downs (5th), scoring offense (7th), and rushing offense (25th).

Penix, meanwhile, broke the UW single-season passing record with 4,641 yards, and for single-game passing yards, with 516 vs. Arizona. The first-year Husky finished No. 8 in the Heisman Trophy voting, tied for third-highest in UW history.

This previous season, Grubb helped lead Fresno State to a 9-3 overall record. As of the end of the regular season, the Bulldogs ranked No. 1 in the Mountain West Conference in total offense (464.8 yards per game) and second in scoring offense (33.4 points per game) and passing offense (330.1 yards per game). In 2020, Fresno State also led the conference with 479.3 yards of total offense per game.

Grubb has spent considerable time alongside DeBoer over the last decade-plus. He joined DeBoer at Fresno State ahead of the 2017 season, as offensive line coach and run game coordinator, when DeBoer arrived as offensive coordinator. Prior to that, he was offensive line coach at Eastern Michigan during DeBoer's three seasons (2014-16) as offensive coordinator.

A former running back and wide receiver at Buena Vista University (Storm Lake, Iowa), Grubb first worked with DeBoer at the University of Sioux Falls from 2007-09. He was offensive line coach and run game coordinator those three seasons, when DeBoer, as head coach at his alma mater, led the Cougars to two NAIA national championships, a runner-up finish, and a 42-1 record in those three years. He continued on as USF offensive coordinator for four years (2010-13).

Grubb spent the last five seasons (2017-21) at Fresno State, including the last three as offensive coordinator. He coached offensive line the first three seasons and then, with DeBoer as head coach, took over coaching the quarterbacks.

In 2020 and 2021, he coached Fresno State quarterback Jake Haener, who was the second-team All-Mountain West Conference quarterback in 2021 – one of five Bulldogs to earn some level of All-MWC on offense. Haener completed 329-of-490 (67.1 percent) of his passes for 4,096 yards, 33 touchdowns and just eight interceptions.

In 2021, Fresno State finished first in the MWC and 14th in the nation in total offense (464.8 yards per game) and second in the conference and 26th in FBS in scoring (33.4 points per game). The Bulldogs' passing offense ranked second in conference and ninth in the country, with 326.7 yards per game.

The offense, and passing game in particular, also flourished in 2020 under Grubb, as it produced a conference-best 479.3 yards total offense per game, and the league's second-highest points per game total (32.8). Fresno State also led the Mountain West in passing yards per game, and ranked fifth in the FBS in that category, with 356.3 per game behind first-year signal caller Jake Haener. The Bulldogs generated over 400 yards total offense in all six games in 2020.

It was the first time since 2011 a Fresno State team had a streak of six-straight games with 400 yards total offense or more. The height of the offensive showcase came on Dec. 5 against Nevada, a game that saw Fresno State set the single game program record for most plays in a game, totaling 105. In that game, Fresno State produced 599 yards total offense, and Haener passed for 485 yards, the eighth-most in program history, completing 41-of-65 attempts.

The 2019 season marked the second season in a row and fourth time in the decade that the offense produced more than 30 points per game (30.0). The Bulldogs averaged 360.0 yards of total offense, generating 159.2 per game on the ground and 226.8 per game through the air in 2019.

In 2018, Grubb coached an offensive line that allowed just 12 sacks. In Grubb’s first two seasons, after it had given up just 10 the season before.

The 2018 team ranked sixth in the FBS in sacks allowed per game (0.86) and fifth in tackles for loss allowed per game (3.86).

In Grubb's first season, the Bulldogs’ offensive line turned into one of the team’s strongest position groups, allowing only 10 sacks in 14 games (0.71 per game), ranked third in the FBS. Fresno State also ranked third in the FBS in tackles for loss allowed per game at 3.29 per contest.

All five linemen from the 2017 team earned all-conference recognition. Center Aaron Mitchell earned second-team all-conference honors while Christian Cronk, Netane Muti, David Patterson and Micah St. Andrew each received honorable mention. In 2018, Cronk picked up All-MW first-team honors and St. Andrew was a second-team selection.

Grubb previously served as the offensive line coach at EMU for three seasons, guiding a group which allowed the eighth-fewest sacks in the nation in 2016, as well as the second-fewest tackles for a loss. His line produced two postseason All-MAC linemen in Cole Gardner and Andrew Wylie.

Eastern Michigan shattered the school record for team offense with 5,917 yards, breaking the previous record of 5,010. EMU also set team season records for points scored (385), passing yards (3,849), touchdown passes (25), first downs (303), pass completions (309), plays (999) as well single-game plays (99). The squad racked up the second-most touchdowns (47) and rushing TDs (21) in a season and the second-most single-game touchdown (8) and first downs (35). On the ground, the team produced the seventh-highest rushing yardage total in program history (2,068).

During the 2015 campaign, EMU finished the year with 39 touchdowns, a mark that tied for the fifth-most in a single season in program history, while its 4,560 yards of total offense were also the fifth-most.

Before arriving to Eastern Michigan, Grubb spent seven seasons at the University of Sioux Falls: the first three as the run game coordinator and offensive line coach followed by four seasons as the offensive coordinator. Grubb shared the same sideline with DeBoer from 2007-09 at USF and took over DeBoer’s OC duties upon his departure.

During Grubb’s time at Sioux Falls, the team posted a 75-13 (.852) record, as Grubb helped guide USF to two national championships and four Great Plains Athletic Conference championships. Grubb mentored multiple All-America selections, and saw Jon Ryan (wide receiver) and Lorenzo Brown (quarterback) earn NAIA Player of the Year honors. He helped more than 20 USF athletes garner all-conference accolades during his time with the Cougars.

In 2010, the Cougar offense thrived in its first year under the command of Grubb. The USF offense ranked third in scoring (577 points) and fourth in passing (3,821 yards) in the NAIA. Under Grubb, Ryan was named the NAIA Football Player of the Year and the GPAC Offensive Player of the Year.

The 2009 offensive line provided spectacular blocking for both USF’s running backs and NAIA Player of the Year Brown on the way to the program’s fourth national title. The Cougar offense set school records for points in a game (80), points per game (51.6), points in a season (775), total offense (7,313 yards), rush offense (3,842), and the most rushing yards by a team in the NAIA. The team gave up just 14 sacks in 15 games.

In 2008, the offensive line paved the way to the sixth-ranked rushing attack (235.6 yards per game) and 10th-best scoring attack (36.5) in the country, while only giving up 10 sacks in 14 games. Shawn Flanagan, Kyle Staudt and TJ Wendt earned all-conference recognition, while Wendt was named first-team All-America, and Flanagan second-team.

Grubb also served as the strength and conditioning coordinator for the USF football program and was named American Football Monthly’s NAIA National Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year for the 2008 season.

Grubb earned his bachelor's degree in business administration from Buena Vista University in 1999 and his master's in sports pedagogy from South Dakota State in 2006.

He and his wife, Stephanie, have a daughter, Falynn.

COACHING HISTORY

Washington
2022-23: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks

Fresno State
2020-21: Offensive Coordinator/Assoc. Head Coach/Quarterbacks
2019: Offensive Coordinator/Assoc. Head Coach/Offensive Line
2017-18: Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator

Eastern Michigan
2014-16: Offensive Line

Sioux Falls
2010-13: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2007-09: Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator

South Dakota State
2006: Wide Receivers
2005: Running Backs

Kingsley-Pierson (H.S.)
2003-04: Offensive Coordinator

NOV 25
1:00 PM
Washington State logo

VS
University of Washington

Let’s get someone fresh. Not the same old retreads.

Jim Harbaugh. His time in MI might be over after this year. he is a former NFL QB has an offensive mind set. he is the winning-est coach in U of M history. He also coached the 49rs to a Superbowl.

I don't give two ***** about his crybaby brother or the **** that is going on in MI right now. I want someone that can help this team win. I don't have to like someone for them to be successful I will never personally sit down and talk to any NFL coach let alone break bread with them.
Sorry, just cannot stand sanctimonious Harbages. No way.

Here's a short list where I'd like them to look:

Ken Dorsey (former Bills OC), Darrell Bevell (Dolphins QB coach/passing game coordinator), Klint Kubiak (49ers QB coach/passing game coordinator), Anthony Lynn (49ers RB coach/assistant head coach), Kevin Patullo (Eagles passing game coordinator/associate head coach), Zac Robinson (Rams QB coach/passing game coordinator), David Girardi (Chiefs QB coach), Joe Bleymaier (Chiefs passing game coordinator).

Reid, Shanahan, and McVay are probably the best offensive minds in the game and Shanahan and McVay both have a growing coaching tree. Dorsey had a successful offense until Allen decided to turn into a turnover machine. Bevell is more of a veteran option with years of experience with multiple teams. Working under McDaniel should only expand Bevell's playbook. Lynn would add a former HC to the roster and a coach who would help emphasize the ground game.
I like this list a lot. One guy I would also kick the tires on would be Klif Kingsbury. He can run a good offense. Don’t ask him to be head coach. Sucked there. He would be good for a young Pickett

Last edited:
It would have to be an up and comer needing a stepping stone to prove himself ,or someone who is a diamond in the rough that has no clue as to how the Steelers operate. No proven OC will come here knowing you have a QB who at best will be an Alex Smith type journeyman 8 years from now....yeah not gonna happen. The only way it would happen is if that proven OC was offered a bank vault full of money....and again, we know how the Steelers operate. Until Tomlin is gone we will remain adrift in mediocrity.

Ben Johnson was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2022 after spending three seasons with the Lions in multiple roles on the coaching staff. He came to Detroit in 2019, as an offensive quality control coach, and was heavily involved in the passing game during Lions Head Coach Dan Campbell's first season in Detroit.

While I agree with most anyone from the outside coming in to take over the OC position, without addressing our OL coaching, it isn't going to help KP.

KP literally has no time to throw anything that requires "development/time".

One option, in keeping with the ethos of having a RUN oriented offense is to hire GREG ROMAN. He killed us for years with his run schemes and TE featured offenses.

Some say he is the best in the league at creating a dominant RUN oriented offense.

This would help KP or any QB right now.

This guy Benjamin Roethlisberger might be a good fit. Maybe.
Not all good players make good coaches. I would think that Rudy would be the guy if Ben had been coaching him up all those years.

Now maybe as a play caller without “coaching “ duties, that could be a different story. Ben did show the ability to call plays. Whether it was by design or he just said Phuq it and ignored the calls. But putting in a guy as OC with ZERO coaching experience, I doubt that would ever happen. Maybe if he was a hurt starter or on IR, in a desperate situation.

You might even an improvement. Sad to admit.:giggle:

1. First order of business is I put KP on notice...Make winning plays...I got 2 guys waiting to take the field & take your job. I will immediately implement RPO's to play to Kennys strengths

2. I WILL get the ball to Pickens.

3. Immediately there will be 2 back set implementation...We can give ball to either back, Warren can block for Najee or vice versa...run the sweep (not jet sweep). Maybe a student body left once in awhile. Screens are gonna be there all day long...Good luck stopping this. Inside the 5 yard line 2 back set with Washington at TE

4. On 3rd down no longer are our QB's allowed to throw short of the line of scrimmage

5. Slants will be used consistently. Warren will get his share & runs for days with his YAC ability

Last edited:
I don't think Ben is ready to come back as a coach... maybe after he gets the yellow jacket???
Ben's going to coach at Georgia Tech first?

Wouldn't it be great if the Gints lost 5 or 6 more and kicked Brian Daboll to the curb?

Sorry, just cannot stand sanctimonious Harbages. No way.

TOTALLY agree, we don’t need a cheating S.O.B. On our team.

Didn’t like his crying whining Azz in SanFran either.

Salute the nation

While I agree with most anyone from the outside coming in to take over the OC position, without addressing our OL coaching, it isn't going to help KP.

KP literally has no time to throw anything that requires "development/time".

One option, in keeping with the ethos of having a RUN oriented offense is to hire GREG ROMAN. He killed us for years with his run schemes and TE featured offenses.

Some say he is the best in the league at creating a dominant RUN oriented offense.

This would help KP or any QB right now.

I think that most here assume the OL coach will be gone as well, end of season. I like your candidate and am hoping a near full change on coaching with-in the STEELERS organization.

I know Coach Tomlin is here to stay and will fight for Austin to stay (big mistake), or promote from within (another big mistake). We need outside help to mask the culprit known as Coach Tomlin.

Salute the nation

I think that most here assume the OL coach will be gone as well, end of season. I like your candidate and am hoping a near full change on coaching with-in the STEELERS organization.

I know Coach Tomlin is here to stay and will fight for Austin to stay (big mistake), or promote from within (another big mistake). We need outside help to mask the culprit known as Coach Tomlin.

Salute the nation
Not just outside help but promising outside help that isn't somehow connected to Mike.

After a couple days spent pondering, I thought of a former Steeler that would be a good candidate to
replace Matt Canada.

Ron Mexico

1200x0.jpg

Last edited: