• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Quick thoughts on the faiders game

Start with defense.

Why is Porter not playing more? OK, you want Wallace and Peterson out there. But why is Sullivan out there?

Benton is a good player right now. He'll be a beast when he learns more.

Now the offense

the raiders are a bad defense. Their run defense has been bad. Last week Buffalo ran all over them 183 yds and 5.2 per carry. The steelers were at 3.4 per carry vs the raiders. Raiders had been giving up 27 points per game. Steelers scored 23.

Kenny was 16/28 for 235, 2 TD, 0 INT. That's just a 57% completion rate which is not great, especially when you consider how many short throws are in this offense.

If you remove the single 72 yard pass, kenny's stats are 15/27 for 163 yds. That's just 6 yards per attempt.

The blocking scheme on runs looked better. Less zone blocking which has looked awful. Still more work to do.

Tonight was certainly better but overall it was still a mediocre output vs a bad defense.

Once again there were few throws over the middle despite those being the best plays of the night. Canada has to know that these throws over the middle work. He sees every team do it. It even works when he does it. But he still insists on throwing outside most of the time on routes with far less opportunity for run after catch.

Here's the chart

pass-chart_PIC777233_2023-REG-3_1695613147264.jpeg
Good compilation but never overfond of taking a play out of an equation to prove a point.

Kenny did have his first two TD passing game so while there is some things to obviously work on there is some progress even if we want to deem it slight.

Canada and the O-line continue to be the top concern for this team. If Kenny continues to work on his game he can help lessen the mentioned issues. Replacing one of the Ts wouldn't be such a bad concept either. Kenny's pressure rate and happy feet can both be improved on. They are somewhat intertwined.

Thing is Canada needs replaced and obviously won't be until the season ends.
So I am not sure how much growth the O can ultimately have being schematic challenged.

Also if a RT upgrade can be had in free agency or the draft they should continue in their path of trying to improve the trenches.

I am still happy about that W though as there was some things to like. The Steelers pass rush continues to be a strength. That group is definitely a fun watch.

Pickett was on the verge of his first really good game.

"That one drive" looked great, like a good professional football team. Then, after taking a 23-7 lead late in the 3rd quarter, the head coach (I'm assuming) entirely shut the offense down and went to a soft prevent defense, and the fans had to sweat out a narrow victory, relying only on the incompetence of the opponent. The opponent didn't disappoint, kicking a FG down by 8 with 2:22 left in the game.

Don’t lose sight on the “W”, regardless of journey to get there.

Salute the nation
I know many have mentioned those non losing seasons in jokes and irritations. I will always like me a W.

My dislikes come from the nature of the losses. More specifically the eggs like game one that this team habitually shows. Especially come the playoffs if the team is lucky enough to even get to that point because of the nature of the Ls.

Mike and or Mr.Rooney has to change up how they approach hiring their coaches, that really is what holds this team back more than anything.

I like that our new GM and assistant look like a solid duo to help strengthen this team from a player perspective.

But the team has to match that aggression when it comes to picking coaches.

Otherwise it will be more of the same results..

I know many have mentioned those non losing seasons in jokes and irritations. I will always like me a W.

My dislikes come from the nature of the losses. More specifically the eggs like game one that this team habitually shows. Especially come the playoffs if the team is lucky enough to even get to that point because of the nature of the Ls.

Mike and or Mr.Rooney has to change up how they approach hiring their coaches, that really is what holds this team back more than anything.

I like that our new GM and assistant look like a solid duo to help strengthen this team from a player perspective.

But the team has to match that aggression when it comes to picking coaches.

Otherwise it will be more of the same results..

I’ hear exactly what you are saying slash and thanks for all your great post(s) along the way.

MY hope is that those two GMs aggression will eventually call (internally) the coaching ability into play. If that conversation comes up, then the GMs might be on a journey to replace some coaches similar to their off season player hunt of last year.

One can only hope.

Salute the nation

Game was not perfect by any stretch but there is some growth there with KP. I like that he ran out of the pocket and can throw on the run. We will need more of that against BAL in two weeks. One game at a time and if this team continues to improve, then that's all we can ask for. Keep TOs to a minimum and we should see more good things coming.

Two things:
  • THROW THE ******* BALL OVER THE MIDDLE OF THE ******* FIELD!!!!
  • Damn, Pickens, your irritating narcissism really cost the team today. Get your dumb *** to the LOS and set. Your stupid wandering around cost a 1st and goal at the 4.

Start with defense.

Why is Porter not playing more? OK, you want Wallace and Peterson out there. But why is Sullivan out there?

Now the offense

the raiders are a bad defense. Their run defense has been bad. Last week Buffalo ran all over them 183 yds and 5.2 per carry. The steelers were at 3.4 per carry vs the raiders. Raiders had been giving up 27 points per game. Steelers scored 23.

Kenny was 16/28 for 235, 2 TD, 0 INT. That's just a 57% completion rate which is not great, especially when you consider how many short throws are in this offense.

If you remove the single 72 yard pass, kenny's stats are 15/27 for 163 yds. That's just 6 yards per attempt.

The blocking scheme on runs looked better. Less zone blocking which has looked awful. Still more work to do.

Tonight was certainly better but overall it was still a mediocre output vs a bad defense.

Once again there were few throws over the middle despite those being the best plays of the night. Canada has to know that these throws over the middle work. He sees every team do it. It even works when he does it. But he still insists on throwing outside most of the time on routes with far less opportunity for run after catch.

Here's the chart

No RED dots.

Good work young man.

Start with defense.

Now the offense

Here's the chart

It’s beyond obvious that we play fearful offense and have for years. We want safe quick passes 95% of the time. Our blocking scheme fails too much and our late game strategy is to play chicken **** Football…

They could sign every pro bowl player in the league and still will get nowhere playing scared in an aggressive offensive era…

I had to laugh at the announcer's references to the old Steeler-Raider rivalry. Those days are long in the past with two major differences:
1) At the time, they were between two teams at the top of the heap slugging it out - now they are between two mediocre teams struggling to not finish at the bottom of their division.
2) If they were playing like the original rivalry, every other play would have drawn a flag.

Start with defense.

Now the offense

Here's the chart

Good analysis, but depressing.
Well next up we'll have another lousy team to hone up our skills on before we play the big dogs.

Except that the prior 0-2 Texans beat the favored Jags convincingly. So...
Maybe they'll get back to reality and be who we thought they were.

Last edited:
Well next up we'll have another lousy team to hone up our skills on before we play the big dogs.

Except that the prior 0-2 Texans beat the favored Jags convincingly. So...
I was just thinking that Houston Winning was a huge bonus for us because it was such a big trap game before the Ratbirds

What I learned.

Kenny-
He made a couple nice throws. I think the one to CA3 was probably his best in the NFL. He had to step up in the pocket and to his left a little to make that throw and he did. Dropped it right in the breadbasket. He used the field better. He saw the open guy better. My only complaint is he got happy feet a few times he didn't have to and ran out of a clean pocket. Reminded me a lot of Bubby Brister in that sense. Yes, I just aged myself.

Warren/Najee-
Warren needs to be getting 70% of the snaps. He is just the better running back. His pass pro where he had to come across the QB to pick up the blitz was text book. Najee is just too wide shouldered for this offensive line. He needs a hole and Warren needs a crease.

Pickens-
He needs 10 targets a game. He is a stud receiver. The raiders recognize that Adams is an elite receiver and they targeted him 20 times. Now Pickens isn't quite there but he is well on his way and well ahead of Adams at the same point in their respective careers.

CA3-
He needs to run fly route after fly route opening up the middle of the field for everyone else. If they don't double his air it out.

A-Rob-
Steady eddie with great hands. I think he can make a living being your chain moving WR at this point in his career.

Freiermuth-
FINALLY got him involved. My only complaint is when we are inside the 20 I would constantly go 2-TE's and put Pickens and Robinson wide. 6-3, 6-2, 6-5, & 6-7 running routes. You will get some size mismatches and can throw it up.

OL-
Did a much better job. Moore vs Crosby was hard to watch but he did "ok". We really need B-Jones to develop into that LT for us though. Moore is a serviceable LT but that is about it. Cole needs to be replaced. Again, he is serviceable but not the long term answer. I have been watching some College Football and I really don't see any stud OC's in this draft. A few decent ones but no Creed Humphrey. Seumalo and Daniels seem to be the weak links at this point. Daniels whiffed on a few blocks.

DL-
Much better job at the point. This might be because the raiders line is worse than ours but they finally held their ground and got off blocks. I am going to just call this improvement and be done. Adams had a really good game. Might not show up in the stat sheet but he was disruptive. Benton showed what he was flashing in camp. I am really excited about him. He disrupted/sacks a play that was a sure TD to Meyers. Those plays add up for defenses.

Edge-
Watt is just a stud. Highsmith was a little quiet but after last week I can forgive him. Golden had a nice game in relief. Herbig has not made the plays he did in preseason. Hopefully, he will soon. I would love to keep Watt and Highsmith fresh and healthy all season and in order to do that Golden and Herbig need to start making plays.

ILB-
Much improved over Bush. Holcolbe was making hits all over. Roberts is a great run defender. Kwon seems to have a great understanding of the defense and is always in the right position.

CB-
Levi Wallace was just over matched by Adams and the Raiders knew it. Too bad Austin and Tomlin didn't. They left him singled up on Adams WAY too often. I blame that on coaching not the player. JPJ should have got some more reps and they really should have doubled Adams more. Wallace did have two nice INTs and the game winner and I am happy for him because he is a hard worker and did not deserve to be stuck out on Adams like that all game.

Peterson had a nice INT. I think if we could put JPJ and Wallace outside and let Peterson roam and play a rover position he would likely have a few more ints this year. Maybe TOmlin and Austin will pull their heads out their butts.

S-
Minkah had an awesome sack and a BS call likely because of the BS out cry over his legal hit vs Chubb. That hit and injury is squarely on Goodell. Don't blame the players for playing within the rules.
Kazee is just a little wrecking ball. Guy can't weigh 180lbs but throws his body around out there.

Refs were god awful last night and we still got the W. The roughing the QB was BS, that PI vs Sullivan was questionable at best, and the leverage call on Leal was garbage. But we still pushed past and got the win. All is good in Steeler Nation today.

What I learned.

Kenny-
He made a couple nice throws. I think the one to CA3 was probably his best in the NFL. He had to step up in the pocket and to his left a little to make that throw and he did. Dropped it right in the breadbasket. He used the field better. He saw the open guy better. My only complaint is he got happy feet a few times he didn't have to and ran out of a clean pocket. Reminded me a lot of Bubby Brister in that sense. Yes, I just aged myself.

Warren/Najee-
Warren needs to be getting 70% of the snaps. He is just the better running back. His pass pro where he had to come across the QB to pick up the blitz was text book. Najee is just too wide shouldered for this offensive line. He needs a hole and Warren needs a crease.

Pickens-
He needs 10 targets a game. He is a stud receiver. The raiders recognize that Adams is an elite receiver and they targeted him 20 times. Now Pickens isn't quite there but he is well on his way and well ahead of Adams at the same point in their respective careers.

CA3-
He needs to run fly route after fly route opening up the middle of the field for everyone else. If they don't double his air it out.

A-Rob-
Steady eddie with great hands. I think he can make a living being your chain moving WR at this point in his career.

Freiermuth-
FINALLY got him involved. My only complaint is when we are inside the 20 I would constantly go 2-TE's and put Pickens and Robinson wide. 6-3, 6-2, 6-5, & 6-7 running routes. You will get some size mismatches and can throw it up.

OL-
Did a much better job. Moore vs Crosby was hard to watch but he did "ok". We really need B-Jones to develop into that LT for us though. Moore is a serviceable LT but that is about it. Cole needs to be replaced. Again, he is serviceable but not the long term answer. I have been watching some College Football and I really don't see any stud OC's in this draft. A few decent ones but no Creed Humphrey. Seumalo and Daniels seem to be the weak links at this point. Daniels whiffed on a few blocks.

DL-
Much better job at the point. This might be because the raiders line is worse than ours but they finally held their ground and got off blocks. I am going to just call this improvement and be done. Adams had a really good game. Might not show up in the stat sheet but he was disruptive. Benton showed what he was flashing in camp. I am really excited about him. He disrupted/sacks a play that was a sure TD to Meyers. Those plays add up for defenses.

Edge-
Watt is just a stud. Highsmith was a little quiet but after last week I can forgive him. Golden had a nice game in relief. Herbig has not made the plays he did in preseason. Hopefully, he will soon. I would love to keep Watt and Highsmith fresh and healthy all season and in order to do that Golden and Herbig need to start making plays.

ILB-
Much improved over Bush. Holcolbe was making hits all over. Roberts is a great run defender. Kwon seems to have a great understanding of the defense and is always in the right position.

CB-
Levi Wallace was just over matched by Adams and the Raiders knew it. Too bad Austin and Tomlin didn't. They left him singled up on Adams WAY too often. I blame that on coaching not the player. JPJ should have got some more reps and they really should have doubled Adams more. Wallace did have two nice INTs and the game winner and I am happy for him because he is a hard worker and did not deserve to be stuck out on Adams like that all game.

Peterson had a nice INT. I think if we could put JPJ and Wallace outside and let Peterson roam and play a rover position he would likely have a few more ints this year. Maybe TOmlin and Austin will pull their heads out their butts.

S-
Minkah had an awesome sack and a BS call likely because of the BS out cry over his legal hit vs Chubb. That hit and injury is squarely on Goodell. Don't blame the players for playing within the rules.
Kazee is just a little wrecking ball. Guy can't weigh 180lbs but throws his body around out there.

Refs were god awful last night and we still got the W. The roughing the QB was BS, that PI vs Sullivan was questionable at best, and the leverage call on Leal was garbage. But we still pushed past and got the win. All is good in Steeler Nation today.

Nice write up

You know… I would have liked them to be more aggressive at the end of the half… not even just them burning the last minute… but them basically playing for the field goal the possession before that… better teams eat us alive because of our conservative mentality…

When we are behind and play aggressive before the half, we tend to do well…

Good compilation but never overfond of taking a play out of an equation to prove a point.

Kenny did have his first two TD passing game so while there is some things to obviously work on there is some progress even if we want to deem it slight.

Canada and the O-line continue to be the top concern for this team. If Kenny continues to work on his game he can help lessen the mentioned issues. Replacing one of the Ts wouldn't be such a bad concept either. Kenny's pressure rate and happy feet can both be improved on. They are somewhat intertwined.

Thing is Canada needs replaced and obviously won't be until the season ends.
So I am not sure how much growth the O can ultimately have being schematic challenged.

Also if a RT upgrade can be had in free agency or the draft they should continue in their path of trying to improve the trenches.

I am still happy about that W though as there was some things to like. The Steelers pass rush continues to be a strength. That group is definitely a fun watch.
I really wanted us to double dip at tackle in this draft… it was so deep.. and I really don’t like chuks as an expensive RT… maybe cook works out…

You know… I would have liked them to be more aggressive at the end of the half… not even just them burning the last minute… but them basically playing for the field goal the possession before that… better teams eat us alive because of our conservative mentality…

There was a play where the raiders had everyone in the box. I mean I think I saw the ghost of Al Davis hovering over the B gap. And Pickens was singled up with no safety help. I know Pickett and Pickens are young. I understand you don't want to put them in a position to fail. So I understand. BUT. If you want to cultivate confidence and a winning culture maybe you give Kenny an option to audible out of that run with a word and or hand gesture. He takes two steps and launches it for a jump ball to Pickens and trust your future super star receiver to go get and bring that ball down. I know that is not what this offense is about but I hope one day it will be.

Is this correct? That was the Hoffstetler not wanting to go in because Lloyd and Greene were gonna kill him game.
Yes. Its why i really thought that this was going to be a loss to a meh team… we just dont win there… whomever put our schedule together was a sadistic steeler hater… its an easy schedule on paper, but digging deeper, it has a bunch of scenarios that are less than ideal

That run the clock out with time outs in hand at the end of the first half had me furious.

Yes. Its why i really thought that this was going to be a loss to a meh team… we just dont win there… whomever put our schedule together was a sadistic steeler hater… its an easy schedule on paper, but digging deeper, it has a bunch of scenarios that are less than ideal
Long trip takes toll on teams. West coast teams have a lot of trouble with long flight east. Vegas is easier flight. Wonder where they stayed?

They stay at motel 6.