• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Quick thoughts on the faiders game

Random thougts...
Najee runs hard all the time gotta respect that.
I am embarrased that our O.C. cant stop with the excessive unnecessary motion ****. It might work 1 out of a 100 times. These guys are gassed out playing musical chairs even before the ball is snapped...you wanna motion somthing pull some guards.
Did we agree to somthing that we are not able to run routes like slants or any other route that gets guys open?
The O.C situation
Its almost like were all watching rouldolf the red nosed reindeer for the first time..and the Rooneys know how its gonna end.
More will be revealed

Offense
The one drive when Matt Canada acted like an NFL offensive coordinator the offense moved the ball down the field with ease. It won't happen that way all the time, however, this group is capable of more and needs to open things up.

There are several problems with the offense and it snowballs as they all work against each other.
-Pickett has a habit of running himself into pressure. It was my top concern entering the draft and he continues to have this issue. He is capable of cleaning this up, but he has to trust the offensive line and it's apparent he doesn't right now.
-The offensive line hasn't been good. Pickett goes on the move when he's under pressure so at times the line looks worse than they're playing, but other times he has no time to throw.
-Najee doesn't create his own yards. He's slow to the hole and they close quick. Warren can get there more often than Harris, just has fewer opportunities. However, the run calls are obvious and it doesn't leave the running backs a chance.
-The receivers mostly make their receptions outside the numbers. Because of the issues with Pickett and the offensive line, they don't get the opportunities over the middle, even when they are open. For the first time in awhile, we saw YAC. Just not enough play calls to put these players in position to succeed.

Defense
This group lives and dies by the pass rush and turnovers. I think the talent is in place to be more of a methodical, shutdown defense, but they don't want to play that way. Outside of Watt and Highsmith, the DL is always in attack mode and as a result we get slashed defending the run. Last night was a pleasant change to that. Either way, the lack of ability to stop Adams was concerning and you can't always count on forcing three interceptions. I just don't like that the defense is so star dependent. You'd like to see this group still succeed with guys out of the lineup like they did during LeBeau's years. Just not the case.

I agree with Tape and others who want to see more snaps from the rookies.
-I really wanted to see Jones learn on the fly. He'd give up pressures and sacks, but he may do that next year instead as he moves into the starting lineup. Get through the growing pains now because there aren't many bright spots on this line.
-Porter should be playing a lot more. I guess they want to ease him in, but watching Wallace and Peterson get burned is tough.
-Benton is already one of the top defensive linemen on the team. He had one sack and at least two pressures last night.
-This offense should use a lot more 2 TE sets, especially while Johnson is out. It'd be a lot more versatile and a lot less predictable.