• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Recent school shooting

They also said the parents / kid/ school had a meeting the morning of the shooting.

"hours before the shooting -- "a different teacher in a different classroom saw some behavior that they felt was concerning, and they brought the child down to an office, had a meeting with school officials, called in the parents, and ultimately it was determined that he could go back into class."

Sounds like the school really dropped the ball. Incidents back to back days and they just let him go
$50 for a safe?

;)

I kid I kid. Love yinz in a forum way Jitter

What a family! 😐

FFxSHrRWYAMa48B

I was the weird kid. No, nobody got shot back then Tibs, but times and people were different. We complain about liberals holding 18th century figures to modern standards while we expect kids to behave like we did 40 years ago. The world is a different place, the people living in it are different and why hardly matters as it changes nothing.

It's not anyone's fault they didn't say anything. Most people don't care to get involved. It was an observation of what happens damn near every time something like this happens. You can almost predict the quotes and why the kid went nuts.

In this case, it appears this kid's problems go a lot deeper than school. It's sad all the way around.
I don't know why I accidentally typed "Coach" for Sarge, but I see what you did there...

Point Coa... er, Sarge.

18 years or so ago my youngest daughter was on the computer talking to a friend..this friend was telling her to stay home tomorrow because I'm going to shot the school up I'm tired of all these stupid little ******* and I dont want you to get caught in the crossfire. Luckly my daughter came right to us and we started asking the girl questions thru my daughter. The girl said she had a bag full of guns and was going in with a hit list but would really just fire on anyone she deemed "a *****". We talked to her for about an hour thru my daughter and really felt it was a problem not just a kid blowing off steam to a friend. So we called the police and printed out the full conversation for them. They did go to the girls house and found a book bag full of weapons and ammo. If people just open their eyes and ears many of these school shootings could have been prevented but too many people dont listen or simply dont wanna listen or think their child is too perfect to ever think of doing such a thing. I dont own a gun but I firmly think if you wanna own a gun you should be allowed to as long as you respect that right and listen. My daughter does own a handgun and has gone for hrs of training and use and care of the hand gun plus it slocked away in a safe and in a locked box in that safe.
The “loner” kids need a sense of purpose. They’ve been an outcast for so long, that empathy, confidence/esteem is sensory deprived. Our brains are a funny organ, but I think there is still so much to learn about the brain. Drugs, concussions, and if pushed to extreme deprivation but basic human emotions can become stunted and molded by ones daily interactions.

I was the weird kid. No, nobody got shot back then Tibs, but times and people were different. We complain about liberals holding 18th century figures to modern standards while we expect kids to behave like we did 40 years ago. The world is a different place, the people living in it are different and why hardly matters as it changes nothing.

It's not anyone's fault they didn't say anything. Most people don't care to get involved. It was an observation of what happens damn near every time something like this happens. You can almost predict the quotes and why the kid went nuts.

In this case, it appears this kid's problems go a lot deeper than school. It's sad all the way around.

I was also that weird kid. I came from a broken home, had an abusive father at the time. I was mocked and ridiculed mercilessly for years in schools. Terribly at times. Publicly humiliated. I was small, scrawny, hyperactive, picked on, shoved around. Like this Ethan kid, I was getting it at home and at school. But I guess I was just geared differently. I worked to become accepted and over time was. I worked out, though it didn't help until I got to college and finally grew and got into power lifting. While in HS, I joined athletics - 4 sports, though never a star in any way. Was in college athletics also. For whatever reason, what was in my DNA led me to want to overcome instead of succumb.

Not everyone is the same. I'll never forget a kid that was treated far worse than I was. Michael Lett. He was off the charts weird. Brutally picked on. I felt sorry for this kid. He was awkward, a little slow, walked funny too (though no physical impairment we were aware of). Everyone just thought he was fine. Until one day in HS he put a .22 to his temple. Died.

No one intervened. No one said anything.

But to your point, this is a different world. I could escape. Once out of school, I was alone. There was no social media. The level of public humiliation that can happen today to these kids is terrifying. They can never get away, so to speak.

I feel bad for kids now. I really do.

And yeah, no one ever considered shooting people when I went to school, and this was an area where everyone had guns or access to them.

"Different world" has become a cliche. But it truly is wholly and utterly different for the younger people now.

I was also that weird kid. I came from a broken home, had an abusive father at the time. I was mocked and ridiculed mercilessly for years in schools. Terribly at times. Publicly humiliated. I was small, scrawny, hyperactive, picked on, shoved around. Like this Ethan kid, I was getting it at home and at school. But I guess I was just geared differently. I worked to become accepted and over time was. I worked out, though it didn't help until I got to college and finally grew and got into power lifting. While in HS, I joined athletics - 4 sports, though never a star in any way. Was in college athletics also. For whatever reason, what was in my DNA led me to want to overcome instead of succumb.

Not everyone is the same. I'll never forget a kid that was treated far worse than I was. Michael Lett. He was off the charts weird. Brutally picked on. I felt sorry for this kid. He was awkward, a little slow, walked funny too (though no physical impairment we were aware of). Everyone just thought he was fine. Until one day in HS he put a .22 to his temple. Died.

No one intervened. No one said anything.

But to your point, this is a different world. I could escape. Once out of school, I was alone. There was no social media. The level of public humiliation that can happen today to these kids is terrifying. They can never get away, so to speak.

I feel bad for kids now. I really do.

And yeah, no one ever considered shooting people when I went to school, and this was an area where everyone had guns or access to them.

"Different world" has become a cliche. But it truly is wholly and utterly different for the younger people now.
It is different. Social media and even the general popularity system seems different. Being in athletics used to be reserved for the “cool” kids. Kids now don’t care about that stuff.

Those that grew up without the internet and 24/7 media didn't.

True. And re: Sarge's post, I think we were all the weird kid in some way or another, some were just much better at hiding it and sticking close to the flock.

But I can't help but think parents and society in general coddle and enable kids to be such the victim these days instead of showing a little tougher love. It's a fine line though and complicated. I just can't help but remember movies (child of the cinema) like Dazed and Confused, Stand by Me and Heaven Help Us.

Dazed and Confused especially showed how brutal teenagers were to one another. It's been happening for a long time and always will because teenagers don't know their *** from their elbow and how they can potentially ruin another person's life over this stuff. Especially ones who are so coddled and can't just stand up for themselves when adversity hits.

I agree that many of today's parents cripple their kids emotionally from a young age. They block the kids from facing any challenges and shield them from every ounce of meanness they might deal with throughout their childhood and teenage years. Most kids now are completely unequipped to deal with any criticism or hardship without wilting like flowers. People were right on the money 15-20 years ago when they started warning about the participation trophy generation and how they were going to turn out. Unfortunately.

So the newest nationwide Tik Tok challenge that's going aeround tonight is for kids across the country to anonymously call in a threat to shoot up their schools tomorrow. Schiools around here are putting out phone announcements tonight warning kids not to do it. Gotta love this new industrious, intelligent generation we have!

The last Tik Tok challenge in schools was for kids to destroy all the soap dispensers in the school bathrooms. No idea why. We've gone through like 20 new soap dispensers this year. They've just been ripping them off the wall. All the other schools in the area have had the same thing going on all year also.

I'm looking forward to watching the TikToks of all those kids answer to the police for making a terrorist threat over the internet. That's pretty much how you nip THAT **** in the bud. Take the kid away for 6 months and put them in a hole while you "investigate their threat". Then, when you can sufficiently determine that the kid was just being a juvenile *******, sure. Return em home.

The new Homeland Security personal rights violations allowances make that perfectly A-Ok.

My God, can you imagine the glorious assploding of the national media if a couple dozen teenagers from around the county were detained in solitary for 3 to 6 months? The whining would be exquisite.