• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Releasing Joe Schobert Would Save Nearly 8 Million

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have between 31 million, and 32 million in available salary cap heading into the off-season according to OvertheCap.com, and Spotrac.com. Now they could bolster that to nearly 40 million with the release of linebacker Joe Schobert. Releasing the veteran linebacker would save the Steelers $7,834,000.

Schobert was acquired last season in a trade with the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for a sixth round pick in the 2022 Draft. Schobert had just signed a massive contract with the Jaguars in 2020 after having a solid tenure with the Cleveland Browns. Now it’s easy to see why the Steelers traded Schobert. These were his stats in 2020 with the Jaguars. 141 tackles, included 84 solo stops, two and a half sacks, six tackles for a loss, four pass defenses, and three interceptions, including one he returned for a touchdown. He also had two forced fumbles. Those statistics warrant the large contract. Now this is what he did for the Steelers. 112 tackles, including 42 solo stops, one interception, 0 sacks, 0 touchdowns, one forced fumble, and two tackles for a loss.

There were far too many of these plays last season.

Simply finding the ball was one of the Steelers' many issues last night. Joe Schobert bites on the WR end around motion, doesn't realize the RB has the ball until Cook is tackled. #Steelers pic.twitter.com/A8WFh0C7WN

— Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) December 10, 2021

And not enough of these plays that he used to do AGAINST the Steelers.

JOE SCHOBERT WITH HIS SECOND PICK OF THE NIGHT
😮
@TheSchoGoesOn53 pic.twitter.com/rzb1YWOobk

— The Checkdown (@thecheckdown) November 15, 2019

Schobert will cost the Steelers nearly 10 million dollars in 2022. The production just isn’t there. Now we can’t sit here and say that Schobert’s troubles were all because of himself. He played beside a struggling Devin Bush, and a defensive front that was without Stephon Tuitt, and Tyson Alualu.

In an ideal world the Steelers will be able to release Schobert and then sign him back on a better contract. He has a history of being effective. At the very least the Steelers need to approach Schobert about taking a pay cut. They are going to need every dollar they can get to invest in the other holes that they have that need filled.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Something has to be done about his cap hit. When the DL is improved so will the LBs play. Either cut / resign or waive, something has to happen.

Salute the nation

Thanks for the efforts Joe...

Draft Dean out of Georgia at 20....if he lasts that long..

It is known khaleesi

Schobert, Banner and Tuitt are easy cap cuts. Schobert and Banner may agree to come back on reduced deals but Tuitt has one year left on his contract and isn't worth giving a 2nd big contract. I believe cutting Tuitt can actually save in the $9 million range by himself.

Schobert, Banner and Tuitt are easy cap cuts. Schobert and Banner may agree to come back on reduced deals but Tuitt has one year left on his contract and isn't worth giving a 2nd big contract. I believe cutting Tuitt can actually save in the $9 million range by himself.
I think you're right, I've read conflicting reports on how much they would save by cutting Tuitt but I believe it is around 9 million. JMO but I'd keep him if he has personally contacted the FO and said I'm reading to play, he's definitely worth it. If there's still hesitancy and they can't count on him to return, pretty simple decision.

40 something million after dumping Schobert and Banner's contracts is something we haven't seen that I can remember.

They can save $4.3M if they cut Tuitt before June 1st and would save $9M if they cut him after June 1st. The question is if he will play or not and how quick you want him off the books...you gain $5M more if you wait until June. Heck, you can chop off another $3M if you cut Ebron after June 1st.

They can save $4.3M if they cut Tuitt before June 1st and would save $9M if they cut him after June 1st. The question is if he will play or not and how quick you want him off the books...you gain $5M more if you wait until June. Heck, you can chop off another $3M if you cut Ebron after June 1st.
The Steelers normally don't wait until after June 1st to help the players land somewhere else early in the process

The Steelers normally don't wait until after June 1st to help the players land somewhere else early in the process
True....either way, 2022 and 2023 might be the best Steeler cap situation I can ever remember. A complete chance for a roster reset if done right while retaining some great core players (Watt/Heyward/Minkah if you want him).

Ebron is definitely gone. I think they can designate both as post June 1st cuts. I know I would.

True....either way, 2022 and 2023 might be the best Steeler cap situation I can ever remember. A complete chance for a roster reset if done right while retaining some great core players (Watt/Heyward/Minkah if you want him).
I wouldn't call a 33 year old DL a core player unfortunately. I get what you're saying though.

Schobert wasn't nearly as good as we all thought he'd be, but give him one more season while cutting Banner and Tuitt like Turd Ferguson already mentioned. I'm hoping that the shock of being introduced to Soft Bush just rubbed off on him. Draft OL/DL early and hope that Alualu gets back to healthy ASAP. JMO. FWIW. YKWIM. FTW.

Schobert wasn't nearly as good as we all thought he'd be, but give him one more season while cutting Banner and Tuitt like Turd Ferguson already mentioned. I'm hoping that the shock of being introduced to Soft Bush just rubbed off on him. Draft OL/DL early and hope that Alualu gets back to healthy ASAP. JMO. FWIW. YKWIM. FTW.
It looked like a good signing at the time.

Ebron is definitely gone. I think they can designate both as post June 1st cuts. I know I would.
Yes they can designate them… however if Tuitt retires he may have to return bonus money too… and if he doesn’t and plays they probably keep him rather than trying to replace him

Yes they can designate them… however if Tuitt retires he may have to return bonus money too… and if he doesn’t and plays they probably keep him rather than trying to replace him
I'm pissed ith the way things went with Tuitt but would love to see him back full go net season. Same with Tyson.

I was very interested in the Steelers drafting Vander Eshe in his draft year but he has been somewhat disappointing and has similar injury issues to Uncle Jarvis. I think he will be on the market and in price range but it's really buyer beware.

I was very interested in the Steelers drafting Vander Eshe in his draft year but he has been somewhat disappointing and has similar injury issues to Uncle Jarvis. I think he will be on the market and in price range but it's really buyer beware.
I would seriously consider him depending on his asking price..
He came back fairly strong this season and seems healthy ..
He’s a thumper that has decent range

I would give Joe another year. At least let him get 1full training camp in. I would not judge anyone off of last years defense. So many key injuries.

And it doesn't really safe 8m. His replacement probs won't be a rookie so we would have to pay a vet to take his spot

Last edited: