• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

remember, kids, Discrimination starts with a (D)

Junk foods don't CAUSE obesity. Lack of exercise and a poor diet does. Junk foods are PART of a poor diet, but they don't CAUSE it. Carbs are supposedly bad for you. Should we tax breads, cereals, pastas.....AND fruits and veggies? This line of thinking is just disturbing. The slippery slope is endless.

Junk foods don't CAUSE obesity.... a poor diet does. Junk foods are PART of a poor diet, but they don't CAUSE it.

So a poor diet causes obesity, and junk food is the poor part of a poor diet, but junk food doesn't cause obesity?

Really? How do you figure?

Just because you can eat it in moderation and not become obese does not mean it doesn't cause obesity. Many people smoked in moderation and never got lung cancer. That doesn't mean smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

MANY factors come into play when it comes to obesity. Junk food is A factor, but not THE ONLY factor. Genetics plays a part....should we tax people who have less than perfect genes? Junk food is an easy target and an easy way for the gov't to overreach.

The main factor....EATING MORE THAN YOU NEED TO SUSTAIN LIFE EACH DAY. Energy in vs energy out= simplicity. Food is just energy. Balance that equation with what you need in accordance with your resting metabolic rate.It really isn't as complex as most make it out to be. I will say this aside from folks who have illness and injury. We are reaaaaaaaaaalllly lazy in this country. Just look around you.Go to any place with a ton of people and count how many are obese. The diabetic rate is going to go through the roof over the next 30 years. I mean epic bad. No amount of health insurance will stave that off. The society as a whole will have to change back.

Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning. -Thomas Jefferson

There are no gains without pains.

-Benjamin Franklin

To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.

-Benjamin Franklin

The main factor....EATING MORE THAN YOU NEED TO SUSTAIN LIFE EACH DAY.

Yes, however it's humanly possible to consume a dozen donuts and a 12 pack of Mountain Dew in one day. (disgusting, but possible). It's impossible to eat 1,000 leaves of cabbage in one day even though it has the same amount of calories. It's no secret which one is making people obese.

Yes, however it's humanly possible to consume a dozen donuts and a 12 pack of Mountain Dew in one day. (disgusting, but possible). It's impossible to eat 1,000 leaves of cabbage in one day even though it has the same amount of calories. It's no secret which one is making people obese.

There's no use talking to you about this, as you continuously avoid any real discussion of it. Yes, we know Mountain Dew contributes to weight gain (in some people) and cabbage probably doesn't...there are literally thousands of other foods where the issue is not so clear cut, many of them have been pointed out to you in various posts that you ignore, and you want to give the government the power to pick and choose which of those thousands of foods to penalize you for eating, whether you eat them in moderation and are at a healthy weight, or not. A lot of the food that is pushed on us as low fat, low carb, or sugar free and "healthy" is pure crap that I wouldn't feed to my dog.

You also continually ignore the fact that dietary recommendations come into existence not because groups of altruistic people really, really want us to be healthy, but because powerful industries with highly paid lobbyists and PR firms want to influence our food choices. And you want to give the government even more money and power to be wielded in this process.

It's idiotic, to everyone but you.

Last edited:
That is 100% correct. They see it as a new revenue steam that belongs to them! You never get your money back. They find some so called noble cause and then use it as a weapon against any who would try to repeal the tax. That is how the democrats roll. Tax&spend forever and still always wanting MORE!!!! Eventually you just end up working for the state.

You can not blame that solely on the Democrats, The Replublicans are just as bad.

I can tell you from personal habits that eating the wrong foods AND not exercising casues weight gain. I ride my bicycles for excersize, during the warmer months I can eat whatever the hell I want to and still LOSE weight. During the winter when I do not exersize as much, I have to eat less crap food or I gain weight. The shift in this country to ready made highly processed GMO filled frankenfood is what has caused the problems. My Grand parents both are still alive at 95 years of age, and they love to eat Grease on bread at least 2 times a week. They are not over weight and still fairly healthy. They do not eat anything they do not grow, shoot, or make themselves from unprocessed food stocks.

Why that is so hard for Trog to understand is beyond me.

There's no use talking to you about this, as you continuously avoid any real discussion of it.

It's idiotic, to everyone but you.

I gave a definition and examples and you have replied numerous times giving other examples that don't fit the definition. You said I was wrong to include potato chips and even went as far as to call them healthy. And I'm the one avoiding a real discussion?

Any real discussion about obesity includes junk food. To suggest the two can't be linked is idiotic.

As usual, we have two sides arguing two sides of the same coin.

Let me reiterate. Higher taxes and more government are, RARELY, the solution.

Why tax junk food which may be a contributing factor in some people? Why not tax the people on the healthcare when they receive it for obesity? Surely that fits more with your toll road analogy?

How about we just use less government and let people do to their own bodies what they want? Let doctors refuse to treat idiots.

Why tax junk food which may be a contributing factor in some people? Why not tax the people on the healthcare when they receive it for obesity?

Whoa! Start your own mean-spirited taxation thread!

But seriously, my idea stems from the fact that many of these people don't pay for their healthcare or food and one subsidy (food stamps) is forcing the other one (Medicaid) higher when it perpetuates obesity.

If you tax the food, some of the one subsidy is being funneled back into the other.

Whoa! Start your own mean-spirited taxation thread!

But seriously, my idea stems from the fact that many of these people don't pay for their healthcare or food and one subsidy (food stamps) is forcing the other one (Medicaid) higher when it perpetuates obesity.

If you tax the food, some of the one subsidy is being funneled back into the other.

and I maintain that adding more government is not the solution and, in fact, would lead to higher food prices which just means the subsidized food industry created by the government will get bigger. Not only that, when this money is added to the governments coffers it will not go into the Medicaid coffers and what is being paid into Medicaid now will not go down. The people paying for it now through Medicaid/Medicare and higher health premiums, etc, will continue to pay for it, just with increased beaurocracy and costs.

But I CAN eat a dozen donuts and down a 12 pack of Mountain Dew every day and not get fat. Therefore I think the govt should tax obese people for being obese, or at least charge them higher premiums for BommaCare, and leave me alone. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

But I CAN eat a dozen donuts and down a 12 pack of Mountain Dew every day and not get fat. Therefore I think the govt should tax obese people for being obese, or at least charge them higher premiums for BommaCare, and leave me alone. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

That would be awesome except that a key provision of BommaCare is that you do NOT, specifically, get charged higher premiums for pre-existing conditions. Everyone else gets to pay higher premiums for that. Yay!!

I think eating cabbage is more disgusting than eating a dozen donuts. Tax me.

At least eating donuts only hurts you. Eating a lot of cabbage hurts everyone around you.

"There are only two things that scare me. One is Nuclear War."

"What's the other thing?"

"Carnies.......Circus Folk.....small hands.....smell like cabbage."

Last edited:
At least eating donuts only hurts you. Eating a lot of cabbage hurts everyone around you.

Eating a lot of cabbage will clean yo' *** out. Quite literally.

Cabbage is great when it is fermented.

I am actually a huge fan of cabbage. Cole slaw, stuffed cabbage, braised cabbage, sauerkraut, I love it all.

I am actually a huge fan of cabbage. Cole slaw, stuffed cabbage, braised cabbage, sauerkraut, I love it all.
Giving your husband the Dutch Oven treatment?

Not only that, when this money is added to the governments coffers it will not go into the Medicaid coffers

That's a hypothetical on a hypothetical, but I won't argue as that is what has happened with much of the cigarette taxes.

Eating a lot of cabbage will clean yo' *** out. Quite literally.

It's so gross. I'd rather take Ex lax to clean out my *** than eat cabbage.