• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers Are “Highly Intrigued By Jimmy Garoppolo”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It seems like everyday there is a new quarterback being reported as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ flavor of the day. This shouldn’t come as a surprise as the team is looking for a new quarterback for the first time since the early 2000s.

NFL analyst Jordan Schultz reported on Tuesday that the Steelers are one of two teams that are “highly intrigued” by Jimmy Garoppolo. His full tweet is below:

#Steelers and #Commanders both highly intrigued by Jimmy G, according to sources.

Pittsburgh OC Matt Canada wants to deploy RPO – not dissimilar 2 the offense Garrappolo ran with the #Niners.

Ron Rivera not only believes his team can win now, but has over $30M in cap as well.

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 1, 2022

The Steelers have been rumored as a potential destination for Garoppolo since the season ended, so add Schultz’s “sources” to the list.

Teams interested in trading for Garoppolo are going to have to consider not only compensation, but also his contract if they wanted to add him. On top of whatever compensation that would be required to trade for him, his cap hit in 2022, which is also the last year of his current contract, is ~$25.5M. Recently announced, teams should also consider the following as well:

49ers’ QB Jimmy Garoppolo is expected to soon undergo shoulder surgery that would sideline him until this summer, sources tell ESPN. It is not expected to impact his trade status and Garoppolo still is likely to be traded this month, per sources.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 1, 2022

Steeler Nation is definitely waiting on the edge of their seats to see who the next starting quarterback who wears the Black and Gold will be, but my guess is this is going to be a slowly unfolding process.

Let us know below what your thoughts are of the Steelers potentially acquiring Jimmy G!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

As I said in another thread, dumb move to go after Jimmy G. He would cost a draft pick of some sort. He just had surgery and can't start throwing again until camp, if he's lucky, so he wouldn't really be integrated into the team early like you would hope and want. AND, if the 49ers don't pick up part of his salary, his cap hit this year would use up the majority of our cap space. We would have to start doing asinine restructures again and push money into future years to fill any of the countless needs we have. Signing him makes no sense.

Now if they cut him, I would be all for kicking the tires but not a trade.

Agree, but I have to think there is little chance they just cut him, unless they save a TON of cap space. Guy would be a very good backup and a trade piece who will get them something, even if just a 3rd rounder at some point.

As I said in another thread, dumb move to go after Jimmy G. He would cost a draft pick of some sort. He just had surgery and can't start throwing again until camp, if he's lucky, so he wouldn't really be integrated into the team early like you would hope and want. AND, if the 49ers don't pick up part of his salary, his cap hit this year would use up the majority of our cap space. We would have to start doing asinine restructures again and push money into future years to fill any of the countless needs we have. Signing him makes no sense.
Don’t like the interest in Jimmy either

Of bringing in a FA or trading for an experienced qb he was my choice. I'd prefer to go ith whT they got. But I guess being competitive is. Winning 9 or 10 games is paramount to keeping Tomlin for as long as he wants to coach.

Thought about Mitch Trubisky a few months ago as a potential fairly cheap "see if he actually has anything" type of signing and then I heard a day or so ago that he's going to command a ridiculous amount of money. How in the world does that happen exactly?

Why would I want to give up draft capital for an often injured game manager? Makes zero sense.

I went to check out Jimmy Gs contract and his dead cap hit for 2022 is 1,4M. That's 1,4 of 24M, the guy is coming of a shoulder surgery on his throwing arm, the rest of the NFL now knows it, add that to his albatross 1 year contract and my best guess is that no GM will offer anything for the guy. The 9ers will be forced to cut him and free up 23M to improve their roster instead of keeping him to carry a clipboard and generate extra pressure to the QB they invested the farm for in last year's draft.

I was a lot more interested in Jimmy G. Before I learned he was needing shoulder surgery and won't throw until June July which can easily become July August. He is gonna end up cut. Might as well wait for that cause he can't even participate in off season activities.