• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers Give Steven Nelson Permission To Seek Trade

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In an unexpected development this Friday afternoon, the Pittsburgh Steelers have given cornerback Steven Nelson permission to request a trade, per Adam Schefter:

Steelers have granted permission to starting CB Steven Nelson to seek a trade, per source. Nelson, who turned 28 in January, has been graded as one of the league’s top cornerbacks in recent seasons by @PFF.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 19, 2021

This is rather unfortunate, as Nelson has been a key contributor for the team the past two seasons. In that time, Nelson has accrued 3 interceptions, 17 passes defended, and 2 fumble recoveries. He has been vital in revamping Pittsburgh’s secondary.

We will continue to monitor the situation and update as it unfolds.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Holy crap! Where in the world did that come from Steven Nelson? Wonder what we would get for him? Man they’ve been quiet all week and start blowing **** up today.

Tough decisions on some veterans this year

no, quit trying to be as dumb as coach....*******
You need to be a whole helluva lot dumber to reach that level. Years upon years of window licking..just hard to be in the same league as him.😁

Why would any team trade for him if the Steelers ultimately end up cutting him?
To eliminate the possibility that they get outbid for his services on the open market. And, he's at least a top 15 CB (according to PFF, etc.) so there would be plenty of interest if teams wait until he's released.

To eliminate the possibility that they get outbid for his services on the open market. And, he's at least a top 15 CB (according to PFF, etc.) so there would be plenty of interest if teams wait until he's released.
He thrived when he came to the Steelers. Wasn’t nearly successful in KC, so there may be some questions if it is scheme, the talent around him, or if he simply improved as a player.

He thrived when he came to the Steelers. Wasn’t nearly successful in KC, so there may be some questions if it is scheme, the talent around him, or if he simply improved as a player.
Those questions are definitely a possibility. But, if you're a team that likes him, and assuming you think at least one other team might like him too, do you risk a bidding war when he's released? Or do you pony up a 4th or 5th round choice in this year's draft?

If I'm a team I probably hope he's released because they'll probably get him cheaper than he is right now. Kyle Fuller just signed a one-year $9.5 million deal with the Broncos. Nelson is schedule to make $8.25 million this year in base salary. I don't think he'd get much more than that on the open market. From his perspective, why not play in a system where you thrive and hit the UFA market next year?

If I'm a team I probably hope he's released because they'll probably get him cheaper than he is right now. Kyle Fuller just signed a one-year $9.5 million deal with the Broncos. Nelson is schedule to make $8.25 million this year in base salary. I don't think he'd get much more than that on the open market. From his perspective, why not play in a system where you thrive and hit the UFA market next year?
Reality will paint a whole different picture to nelson when he sees he's not getting a multi year premium contract.
He might end up in a leveon bell situation

If we trade sign malcom butler incentive laced

Just saw butler fa trade Nelson for a 4th and 6th and then sign butler or Sherman and ap the rest via draft, can’t hurt to bring Eric fisher in for a visit

Startings cbs are not really easy to find. what would you all consider worth trading him for? a second?

Anyone figure out the real reason Nelson is wanting a trade?

Salute the nation