• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers Give Steven Nelson Permission To Seek Trade

Be careful what you wish for. Nelson probably understands that Sutton would be competing for the starting outside CB job (and maybe play inside in the nickel).

Nelson has been a very good CB for us. Yet, there won't be anything stopping us from taking his 8.5 mil and pursuing Adoree Jackson (3 or 4 year contract can keep this year's cap impact low).

Also, Brian Poole is pretty studly in the slot. Signing him would solve losing Hilton... at least it would be close.

Either of these guys could be signed for Nelson's money (or close)... maybe even with some cap advantages for 2021 (if they do a multi-year deal). Look at the signings thus far... no CB is making bank.

Last edited:
I am assuming he wanted a extension for more$$$ and the Steelers said lets hold off a bit?

So basically Nelson is thinking he is worth more money. He does have the credentials of his last two years here as he has rated out pretty good. Flip the coin and he is chosing to not finish out his contract (can't blame him as contracts are not gauranteed). I'd think he would restructure for more up-front money but then again........ I'm not in his shoes and maybe he thinks he wants to play for a better team.

Salute the nation

Sign fuller now trade Nelson for a 4th and 6th

Nelson is pretty quiet so far. Maybe he is finding out something he may not like hearing. In anyn event I'm hoping with this time involved that maybe he and the STEELERS can work something out amicably.

Salute the nation

Nelson is pretty quiet so far. Maybe he is finding out something he may not like hearing. In anyn event I'm hoping with this time involved that maybe he and the STEELERS can work something out amicably.

Salute the nation
I don't kow who Nelson's agent is but he probably didn't give him the best advice on this situation.

So basically Nelson is thinking he is worth more money. He does have the credentials of his last two years here as he has rated out pretty good. Flip the coin and he is chosing to not finish out his contract (can't blame him as contracts are not gauranteed). I'd think he would restructure for more up-front money but then again........ I'm not in his shoes and maybe he thinks he wants to play for a better team.

Salute the nation
He can't restructure, he is in the last year of his contract, he'd have to sign an extension to lower his cap hit. I'm guessing the Steelers approached him on that but weren't offering as much as he though he was worth.

If he is traded what vet do I want us to get I want butler or Sherman and tuitt pay cut and ifchaden 1 year extension to free up cap room right now

If he is traded what vet do I want us to get I want butler or Sherman and tuitt pay cut and ifchaden 1 year extension to free up cap room right now
Wish/want away:
1. No to Sherman or Butler. And it's not in Colbert's DNA to pay those older players big money (or any, really) for a 1 year rental (which is all either of them would be here).
2. Tuitt, coming off of one of his better seasons, is NOT taking a pay cut; and the Steelers wouldn't even ask him to. They might ask him to extend or rework his contract in such a way that he gets more cash up front and they get some relief. But, they aren't asking him to take a pay cut. In part because they wouldn't be willing to release him if he said no.
3. Haden might be open to an extension with voidable years. This is the most likely of all the scenarios. But, ask yourself this, "What's in it for Haden?"

Wish/want away:
1. No to Sherman or Butler. And it's not in Colbert's DNA to pay those older players big money (or any, really) for a 1 year rental (which is all either of them would be here).
2. Tuitt, coming off of one of his better seasons, is NOT taking a pay cut; and the Steelers wouldn't even ask him to. They might ask him to extend or rework his contract in such a way that he gets more cash up front and they get some relief. But, they aren't asking him to take a pay cut. In part because they wouldn't be willing to release him if he said no.
3. Haden might be open to an extension with voidable years. This is the most likely of all the scenarios. But, ask yourself this, "What's in it for Haden?"
well, he would get to stay a Steeler....isn't that enough?

well, he would get to stay a Steeler....isn't that enough?
From a business standpoint ... probably not. Because he'd be getting something he already has. They aren't getting rid of both Nelson and Haden. And Nelson called "dibs" on the first train out of town.

He can't restructure, he is in the last year of his contract, he'd have to sign an extension to lower his cap hit. I'm guessing the Steelers approached him on that but weren't offering as much as he though he was worth.
Based on Nelson’s tweet after the Giants gave Adoree Jackson 4 years 39 million that’s exactly what happened. That’s the problem with some players they think they deserve what others have. PIT doesn’t play that game. They pay you what THEY think you are worth. It’s disappointin, I thought Nelson was a team player, but it’s obvious he wants to get paid next year’s jackpot now.

He might want his jackpot. But he didnt start this. He is under contract. Maybe steelers dont WANT to pay him as much as his contract is worth, but they arentt going to out right cut him and take the cap hit. ,,,, RIGHT?

I mean if they wanted to let him seek a trade ok,, but they arent just going to let him go to dump his salary. THis is my understtanding.

Ask tuitt and decastro for pay cuts and let him play out his deal either layne takes over next year or Sutton and a mid rnd cb is added

He might want his jackpot. But he didnt start this. He is under contract. Maybe steelers dont WANT to pay him as much as his contract is worth, but they arentt going to out right cut him and take the cap hit. ,,,, RIGHT?

I mean if they wanted to let him seek a trade ok,, but they arent just going to let him go to dump his salary. THis is my understtanding.

I'd think you are right here as the cap is still hit with current number. Trade could equate to savings.

Salute the nation

I'd think you are right here as the cap is still hit with current number. Trade could equate to savings.

Salute the nation
Same cap hit and cap relief if he's traded or if he's cut. Only real difference is the Steelers give away something of great value (starter level CB) for no return if he's cut.
If I'm Colbert, I let it be known that if he can't find a trade partner, the Steelers are more than willing to have him play out the last year of his contract. No freebies!

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...situation-with-steelers-dont-hold-me-hostage/ Hey Nelson they have a right to get value you don't dictate. STFU with your hold you hostage bullshit. You are under contract until you aren't. Now if they let you go every other loud mouth will be like I can just go on twitter and get released. **** off.

They just released him. What a ***** *** move Steelers SMH.

They just released him. What a ***** *** move Steelers SMH.
Yeah but they have a long history of letting the players that want to walk walk... sure they lose a few draft picks, but ultimately they get a really good rep from the players for it... its why guys like juju trust them enough to sign back with them... they are perpetually listed as one of the most player friendly teams because they are honest with guys and don’t try to dick them around

Yeah but they have a long history of letting the players that want to walk walk... sure they lose a few draft picks, but ultimately they get a really good rep from the players for it... its why guys like juju trust them enough to sign back with them... they are perpetually listed as one of the most player friendly teams because they are honest with guys and don’t try to dick them around
Dick him around? He was their highest paid free agent ever. How does this help the team letting every whine *** have their way? **** that.