• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers Interested In Free Agent Center Ryan Jensen

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With Free Agency only days away, teams are starting to show their cards of who they may be interested in. The Pittsburgh Steelers are not strangers to this as they’ve seemingly been linked to every quarterback available. Of the other positions center could be a target of the Steelers and one of which is Pro Bowl center Ryan Jensen according to ESPN reporter Jeremy Fowler:

“One player I expect to generate a lot of interest on the free-agent market is center Ryan Jensen, who has the attention of the Jets, Bengals, Steelers and Baltimore Ravens, among others. So many teams are looking for offensive line help, and Jensen is viewed as a nasty tone-setter who could help a line with his attitude and ability. If multiple teams are as interested as it sounds they could be, Jensen could be a hot commodity and rake in a nice payday. — Graziano

I’m told the Bucs will try hard to get something done with Jensen. They feel he’s among the best centers in the league, maybe the best, when in their system. If that costs $15 million per year — which it very well might — then that might be worth it. The same goes for Jason Kelce with Philly, as far as the system fit. He could do another one-year deal this offseason.” — Fowler

If the Steelers want the center, they are going to have to make a strong push for the lineman. He is generating a lot of buzz and interest from other teams as noted before. The 30 year old center had his best season in 2021, and will look for premium pay at the position. It’s no secret the Steelers need offensive line help. Ranking in the bottom 5 in rushing and Ben Roethlisberger on the ground seemingly at least once a series. Jensen would be an immediate upgrade and boost for this group.

The Steelers are notoriously, for lack of a better word, cheaper in free agency, but that has largely been due to the lack of cap space over the last 20 years. This free agency is one of the most nerve-wracking but exciting ones for the team in quite some time. We along with the rest of the league will see how it plays out. We will continue to keep Steeler Nation updated on the moves the team makes heading into Free Agency and into the draft.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

With Free Agency only days away, teams are starting to show their cards of who they may be interested in. The Pittsburgh Steelers are not strangers to this as they’ve seemingly been linked to every quarterback available. Of the other positions center could be a target of the Steelers and one of which is Pro Bowl center Ryan Jensen according to ESPN reporter Jeremy Fowler:

If the Steelers want the center, they are going to have to make a strong push for the lineman. He is generating a lot of buzz and interest from other teams as noted before. The 30 year old center had his best season in 2021, and will look for premium pay at the position. It’s no secret the Steelers need offensive line help. Ranking in the bottom 5 in rushing and Ben Roethlisberger on the ground seemingly at least once a series. Jensen would be an immediate upgrade and boost for this group.

The Steelers are notoriously, for lack of a better word, cheaper in free agency, but that has largely been due to the lack of cap space over the last 20 years. This free agency is one of the most nerve-wracking but exciting ones for the team in quite some time. We along with the rest of the league will see how it plays out. We will continue to keep Steeler Nation updated on the moves the team makes heading into Free Agency and into the draft.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
That's nice... There are reports that they are interested in Rodgers. Not sure what that deal would look like but I'm not sure you give a payday to a 30 year old center.

$15 million for a 30-year-old center is a tough pill to swallow. Who's next out there? There were a few decent or good free agent centers that would be cheaper and still be a significant upgrade.

$15 million for a 30-year-old center is a tough pill to swallow. Who's next out there? There were a few decent or good free agent centers that would be cheaper and still be a significant upgrade.
Bradley Bozeman. Rats loss is our gain. He is an upgrade to what we have yet shouldn't be as pricey as Jensen. He is 27 so you are getting him at the right age.

I personally would love Jenson. He is the best center in free agency or in the draft

I personally would love Jenson. He is the best center in free agency or in the draft
He'd be great but we can't be looking at the very best in free agency as they will cost a ton and we need to fill multiple holes with legit starters. We don't need 1 pro bowler and the rest scrubs. I'd rather get 2 legit starters for his $15 million per (or a little more). Just like there is no way I consider JC Jackson at CB. Go with Ward and sign another player for the $20 million Jackson will want.

He'd be great but we can't be looking at the very best in free agency as they will cost a ton and we need to fill multiple holes with legit starters. We don't need 1 pro bowler and the rest scrubs. I'd rather get 2 legit starters for his $15 million per (or a little more). Just like there is no way I consider JC Jackson at CB. Go with Ward and sign another player for the $20 million Jackson will want.
I get what you are saying. But Jenson would be worth 12-15 mill. I would love to see what Harris could do with him at Center

Bradley Bozeman. Rats loss is our gain. He is an upgrade to what we have yet shouldn't be as pricey as Jensen. He is 27 so you are getting him at the right a

I get what you are saying. But Jenson would be worth 12-15 mill. I would love to see what Harris could do with him at Center

If the OG play sucked like it did last year it won't matter. Why throw money at an older player that can't give you something long term. This team is not a overpriced older center away from a super bowl. Bozeman gave up just as many sacks and more pressures than Green. But then again
If the OG play sucked like it did last year it won't matter. Why throw money at an older player that can't give you something long term. This team is not a overpriced older center away from a super bowl. Bozeman gave up just as many sacks and more pressures than Green. But then again Brian Allen (UFA) just just won a Super Bowl and gave up the most sacks and pressures. Maybe its more about the unit working together or blocking scheme.

If the OG play sucked like it did last year it won't matter. Why throw money at an older player that can't give you something long term. This team is not a overpriced older center away from a super bowl. Bozeman gave up just as many sacks and more pressures than Green. But then again

If the OG play sucked like it did last year it won't matter. Why throw money at an older player that can't give you something long term. This team is not a overpriced older center away from a super bowl. Bozeman gave up just as many sacks and more pressures than Green. But then again Brian Allen (UFA) just just won a Super Bowl and gave up the most sacks and pressures. Maybe its more about the unit working together or blocking scheme.
It is a combination of everything. But to me I would pay top dollar to get our running game going. with the defense we could potentially have, we could go a long way with a great running game and a QB that doesn't turn the ball over

Not if they get Rodgers…Trubisky yes, I also think Ben Jones would be a good value at center if he doesn’t resign with the ****…

Like I said before, that cap space will turn into 2 or 3 players plus resigning a few of our own… its not that much in reality so if this guy is where you think you can drop 10-15 mill on then fine, but you need a couple of cbs too, and a wr

I'm not a craptologist so I don't know if we can afford this guy are not. I do know we need an upgrade at center and I'd preferr it be a vet vs another rookie draft.

slash mentioned the kid from baltimore is younger and cheaper $$$-wise, a great option in my eyes as well.

Salute the nation

Not if they get Rodgers…Trubisky yes, I also think Ben Jones would be a good value at center if he doesn’t resign with the ****…

Who wouldn't want to play with the ****,........ provided it was done properly !!!

Salute the nation

Like I said before, that cap space will turn into 2 or 3 players plus resigning a few of our own… its not that much in reality so if this guy is where you think you can drop 10-15 mill on then fine, but you need a couple of cbs too, and a wr
The way they force fed Green into the starting spot for most of the season and adding that he was working with Pouncey post season I never imagined they would go after a center. Maybe sliding Green to guard or as a back up role until he grows. Articles of us interested in a player though is just that. I will believe it when it actually happens.

And, who plays the rest of the line? We have Moore at LT. Green is too small for G. Turner is a FA. Chuks sucks and is a FA. We still need at least one more legit starter on the O-line - possibly through the draft. BUT, we still need multiple pieces for the DL and secondary. Schobert may not be back unless he takes a pay cut. It's a long list and spending at the very top for any position doesn't make much sense unless you get a guy you can count on for at least 6 to 8 years. Jensen is in the "twilight" of his career. He could play 6 years or more. He could play 2 years. He has had back issues so that is always a concern. If we could get him for say $13 million, I think I could deal with that. That's $2 million to help pay for another hole we need to fill.

And, who plays the rest of the line? We have Moore at LT. Green is too small for G. Turner is a FA. Chuks sucks and is a FA. We still need at least one more legit starter on the O-line - possibly through the draft. BUT, we still need multiple pieces for the DL and secondary. Schobert may not be back unless he takes a pay cut. It's a long list and spending at the very top for any position doesn't make much sense unless you get a guy you can count on for at least 6 to 8 years. Jensen is in the "twilight" of his career. He could play 6 years or more. He could play 2 years. He has had back issues so that is always a concern. If we could get him for say $13 million, I think I could deal with that. That's $2 million to help pay for another hole we need to fill.
Not a huge Chuks fan but he was statistically our best Offensive lineman. Least amount of sacks pressures and tackles for loss.

IMO the Steelers keep Chuks...
LT - Moore Jr. / Banner
LG - ??? / LeGlue
OC - Green / Hassenauer
RG - ??? / Dotson
RT - Chunks.

I see this team needing two stud guards more than tackle, obviously that changes if they let Chuks walk.

Banner is gone unless he takes a pay cut and he won't be overtaking Moore at LT. If anything, they could find a stud LT and move Moore to RT. Moore is better than Chuks no matter how you look at it at any position. Chuks is heading into his 5th year and is not starter material. He was all we had last year.

Banner is gone unless he takes a pay cut and he won't be overtaking Moore at LT. If anything, they could find a stud LT and move Moore to RT. Moore is better than Chuks no matter how you look at it at any position. Chuks is heading into his 5th year and is not starter material. He was all we had last year.
My issue is how the Steelers see it. I think Chuks was the best bad offensive lineman we had. The Steelers under Tomlin never seemed to value OL...

Green's the C going forward. Accept it and move on. The coaching staff could have very well stuck him at RG and signed a C last season. They chose to make him the anchor of the line. That's not going to change.

so we need a RG - and one that is position versatile, since that is what the coaching staff likes... so they can move guys around (other than Center) and have an equal **** show all around.

Its laughable that Banner and Watt are the two highest paid guys on offense, by the way…

IMO the Steelers keep Chuks...
LT - Moore Jr. / Banner
LG - ??? / LeGlue
OC - Green / Hassenauer
RG - ??? / Dotson
RT - Chunks.

I see this team needing two stud guards more than tackle, obviously that changes if they let Chuks walk.
JC is a free agent.

Banner is only a RT.

No way Banner is cut this year, it would leave us with Moore and LeGlue as the only rostered tackles

JC is a free agent.

Banner is only a RT.

No way Banner is cut this year, it would leave us with Moore and LeGlue as the only rostered tackles
Only issue is Banner has been 100% useless...