• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Roethlisberger Left Bradshaw on ‘Read’

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It seems that Pittsburgh Steelers legend Ben Roethlisberger has forgiven Terry Bradshaw for his comments early in his career, but he hasn’t forgotten.

“For years you acted recklessly,” Bradshaw said on a 2010 Fox broadcast. “You hung out in college bars, you disrespected women. The Steelers got rid of Super Bowl hero Santonio Holmes for failing a substance abuse test, but they should have dumped you, because what you did, in my eyes, was a lot worse.”

That’s just a sample of what Bradshaw had to say about Roethlisberger nearly 12 years ago.

Little did Bradshaw know that four months later he would sit down with Roethlisberger for an interview in Dallas as the Steelers prepared to play the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl.

Bradshaw called that interview ‘awkward’, and ‘cold’.

It was ten years before the two ever sat down again. Before the two ever spoke again. This time Bradshaw said it was important to repair the relationship. He had seen the way Roethlisberger had changed, and grown since those mishaps as a young man.

“I have a big personality,” Bradshaw said. “I’ll do whatever. I’m a rancher in Louisiana, and I work for Fox. I’m paid for opinions and experience. I have fun with everybody. I said, ‘Park the motorbike, park the motorbike.’ That didn’t set well. And then the suspension thing, the problems off the field. It’s history. He’s married now, he has a great wife, he has great children. I heard he had changed …

“This is something we need to fix, I need to fix, if I can. I’m trying, I’m trying. I want to badly,” Bradshaw said.

Everyone said the right things following that 2020 interview.

“I’ve always respected Terry,’’ Roethlisberger said. “I never had an issue with Terry. I’m glad this interview happened the way it did. I’m hoping that it turned a page for him and both of us in a relationship way.”

It seemed like all was well between the two greatest quarterbacks in franchise history. Bradshaw even offered his congratulations following Roethlisberger’s retirement last week.

12 to 7: pic.twitter.com/vqMQHv16Y8

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) January 27, 2022

I don’t know him, Rich,” Bradshaw said on the Rich Eisen show. “I don’t know him well at all. I mean, I don’t know him at all. I did text him a couple of times in the last year. Texted him once this year, congratulating him on his great career. That’s it. I mean, that’s pretty much it”

Eisen followed up by asking Bradshaw if Roethlisberger returned the texts. He said ‘no’.

Why doesn't #Steelers legend and @ProFootballHOF Terry Bradshaw have a relationship with current Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger? The Blonde Bomber explains: pic.twitter.com/6CdaVTypB5

— Rich Eisen Show (@RichEisenShow) December 2, 2017

Bradshaw went on to say he ‘doesn’t lose any sleep over it’, but it sure would be nice if the two had a good relationship.

Hopefully in the future they can build a friendship. It would be great for fans and the organization.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

I love Bradshaw, but he's all over the place. You never know what you are going to get. So I wouldn't blame Ben at all for just keeping his distance.

In the event, who cares if they have a relationship? Outside of it looking nice in public, it serves no purpose.

There’s a Bradshaw documentary on HBO this month. Many of the early highlights and lowlights of his play show that he didn’t bother wearing a chin strap which is insane.

Heh, just thinking about Bradshaw. He's a funny guy on TV, but I bet he is such a pain in the ***. I mean look at his back and forth on Chuck Noll. He wouldn't have anything to do with Pittsburgh for years after he retired because Noll didn't kiss his *** enough. Then he is at some banquet for Noll where he says he misses his coach. Then he is on the Noll Football Life griping again. For the love.

Supposedly on the new thing on HBO he says he shoulda retired after the '79 season. But I have heard him say other places he wanted to play longer in an effort to blame Noll for not supporting him enough with his elbow. Blah, blah, blah.

I just wish he'd shut up, but they keep going to him for stuff.

I love Bradshaw, but he's all over the place. You never know what you are going to get. So I wouldn't blame Ben at all for just keeping his distance.

In the event, who cares if they have a relationship? Outside of it looking nice in public, it serves no purpose.
Exactly. How many of us talk to company alumni if they are not close away from work?

A lot of players of that era didn't wear chin straps, jock straps, mouth guards, etc. Some of your teammates would call you a sissy if you did. Hell, guys played with broken legs, arms, hands, jaws... The expectations were different and people responded to those expectations. Doesn't necessarily make it better or worse, just different.

And these 'reporters' continue to reach out to Bradshaw for comment because they know he'll say something eventually that will get people (particularly Steelers fans) to click on their articles.

A lot of players of that era didn't wear chin straps, jock straps, mouth guards, etc. Some of your teammates would call you a sissy if you did. Hell, guys played with broken legs, arms, hands, jaws... The expectations were different and people responded to those expectations. Doesn't necessarily make it better or worse, just different.
Broken legs? Is that possible?

Terry Bradshaw was a great QB ......but he is crazier than a bedbug!

Which actually helped him make alot of $$$$ after his playing career was over..

BTW as a snot nosed kid in Pittsburgh in the early 70's....I was the talk of the neighborhood when I bought a pack of football cards and got Bradshaw's rookie card btw which I still have...and on the back side showed that TB and I shared the same birthday....

Jack Youngblood. It was just a fibula, though. The non weight bearing bone. Haha.
That’s non weight bearing though. Some of the stuff can be over exaggerated lol.

Painful yes, but even back then the human body has it’s limits. Earl Campbell cannot even walk

That’s non weight bearing though. Some of the stuff can be over exaggerated lol.

Painful yes, but even back then the human body has it’s limits. Earl Campbell cannot even walk
Watched a show on MotorTrend where this place in Houston that customizes cars, trucks etc. was putting together a 50's Cadillac for Earl. He was in a wheelchair telling them what he wanted done.

• Wow
Reactions: MTC
Wow… this is a complete non story… is tge super bowl really that boring now that this is what they have to push as news lol

Heh, just thinking about Bradshaw. He's a funny guy on TV, but I bet he is such a pain in the ***. I mean look at his back and forth on Chuck Noll. He wouldn't have anything to do with Pittsburgh for years after he retired because Noll didn't kiss his *** enough. Then he is at some banquet for Noll where he says he misses his coach. Then he is on the Noll Football Life griping again. For the love.

Supposedly on the new thing on HBO he says he shoulda retired after the '79 season. But I have heard him say other places he wanted to play longer in an effort to blame Noll for not supporting him enough with his elbow. Blah, blah, blah.

I just wish he'd shut up, but they keep going to him for stuff.
In fairness, Bradshaw had plenty of built up anger about the fans in Pittsburgh too. They can be very very fickle.

In fairness, Bradshaw had plenty of built up anger about the fans in Pittsburgh too. They can be very very fickle.
Those damn Pittsburgh fans.

Yeah, and rightfully so.

He was my favorite player when I was a kid, because in some way I felt I could relate. He seemed like me. I was a high energy kid, always into something. But in sports, like baseball, I remember the coaches telling me don't swing at the first pitch. So I'd go up there...don't swing, don't swing...well, ****, swing! I'd be getting chewed out all the time after the at bat whether I got a hit or not.

It seemed like Bradshaw was kinda that way when he would throw that screamer ball and get picked. Almost couldn't help it. And he'd be getting chewed out.

I appreciate what Bradshaw did for the franchise, but without growing up watching him I am not a fan. In bringing up Ben not texting him back, I will never forget hundreds of Steelers fans cheering for him on the set outside of Super Bowl 45. Every other member of the Fox studio show turned around an waved at the Steelers fans. Bradshaw ignored them.

I think Ben is probably wise being friendly but not friends. If you text back you open a door of having to correspond.

Bradshaw has some mental illness issues and he's no spring chicken anymore. So a lot of erratic all over the place talk that he probably regrets later. He has a good heart though. That's evident if you ever watch A Football Life: Terry Bradshaw. That man was still all screwed up from how his career ended that he was scared people would boo him at Heinz Field when he came back after 20 years. Those are some pretty deep emotional scars. Which I hope he got over.

I think he may feel a little slighted and jealous because Ben got a hell of a send off his last game at home and Bradshaw got booed in his.

Jack Youngblood. It was just a fibula, though. The non weight bearing bone. Haha.
He even did so in the SB against the Steelers. He and his brother Jim were throwback players.

Still part of the leg though.............. correct.................,thus the broken leg refference and still would take a tough S.O.B. to play through, don't want to minimize that comment of those guys were tough as hell back then. I highly doubt players today could do that. I haven't seen any try.

Salute the nation