• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rudolph Will Start Against Seahawks - Tomlin Presser

Not to mention....let’s see what we got. I want to see Rudolph start the remaining games. I wish him the best,as I do all Steelers Qurterbacks. But am certainly not going to anoint him after one game. I remember not too long ago a rocket scientist having a couple good games,flavor of the week across the nfl. Rocket scientist got benched. Had amassed a grand total Of 5 tds 5 int’s for 895 yds in 5 games.
With those numbers the rocket scientist would have earned the start over pickett as well

Interesting that Tomlin wouldn't even venture to say what he would do if Pickett was healthy. A bit of a statement without saying anything by the head coach, IMO.

I have to agree. Ride with Mason as he is the hot hand.

A more likely scenario (than your bolded text) is the Mason goes and lays an egg, and Kenny comes off the bench and does well, and he is back in the good graces of fans. But who knows what will happen with this years' **** show.
Pickett has been on thin ice with most of the fans for most of the year. Most fans have seen enough.

If somehow Mason goes 3-0 and gets a playoff win Kenny will really be in a tough spot. Very unlikely, but man that would be great.

To be honest that would really **** the team over. Nothing good can come from that. 1. Mason plays like garbage. Team sucks we have to watch. This is the best case scenario. 2. Rudolph does well and we win. Now Rudolph going into the offseason is an unrestricted free agent and we probably going to have to outbid the league to sign him.

Lose lose scenario for us. I guess unless we don’t resign him and take the 2025 comp pick. Then that’s a win.

This is playing out to what I said would be the worst thing that could happen for the team. If Mason has another good game against a very good defense and we win then you have to start him vs the Ravens who might be resting all their starters in which we might sneak into the playoffs. Now what do we do? Mason signed the one year extension in 2021 with a promise of having a fair shot at the starting spot come 2022. He did not get that. So he owes us nothing. There will be interest this year unlike last year. Last year I said we should have cut Mitch and signed Mason to save money. Even a 2 year deal and throw playing time incentives in there would have protected us and given us an opportunity to let Kenny and Mason fight it out in 2024. Well, now we have to cut Mitch because he is hot garbage and instead of saving money probably have to use up some if not more of it to get Mason back as dangling an "opportunity" isn't going to stop him from trying to cash in. At least it wouldn't stop me if I were him.

Might it be possible that Rudolph is going for it with nothing to lose while Pickett has been drilled every week by coaches telling him to go for the safe throw and protect the ball ?

Rudolph can easily say **** it, minimum contract, last chance, if I go out , I'll go out like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid.

This is playing out to what I said would be the worst thing that could happen for the team. If Mason has another good game against a very good defense and we win then you have to start him vs the Ravens who might be resting all their starters in which we might sneak into the playoffs. Now what do we do? Mason signed the one year extension in 2021 with a promise of having a fair shot at the starting spot come 2022. He did not get that. So he owes us nothing. There will be interest this year unlike last year. Last year I said we should have cut Mitch and signed Mason to save money. Even a 2 year deal and throw playing time incentives in there would have protected us and given us an opportunity to let Kenny and Mason fight it out in 2024. Well, now we have to cut Mitch because he is hot garbage and instead of saving money probably have to use up some if not more of it to get Mason back as dangling an "opportunity" isn't going to stop him from trying to cash in. At least it wouldn't stop me if I were him.
And how much would that might look like? Enough for a 4th round comp pick ? If so, that would be fine by me. We wouldn't lose him for nothing

Might it be possible that Rudolph is going for it with nothing to lose while Pickett has been drilled every week by coaches telling him to go for the safe throw and protect the ball ?

Rudolph can easily say **** it, minimum contract, last chance, if I go out , I'll go out like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid.
This maybe more true than not. Read where he was thinking of selling real estate next year, so what does he have to lose?

And how much would that might look like? Enough for a 4th round comp pick ? If so, that would be fine by me. We wouldn't lose him for nothing
Nah, probably a 6th. I would think he gets between $3,000,000 low end and MAX he gets $7,000,000 but that would be if a team believe he is starter worthy. Maybe a team like the Vikings or Pats who are going to be QB needy. That would probably get us a late day 3 comp.

I wondered the same thing.

This is playing out to what I said would be the worst thing that could happen for the team. If Mason has another good game against a very good defense and we win then you have to start him vs the Ravens who might be resting all their starters in which we might sneak into the playoffs. Now what do we do?
If Mason has a good game vs a very good defense it won’t be until the Ravens game. Cincinnati is 31st in team defense, Seattle is 26th. Start Mason until he doesn’t play well or until the Steelers are eliminated from the playoffs.
Mason signed the one year extension in 2021 with a promise of having a fair shot at the starting spot come 2022. He did not get that. So he owes us nothing. There will be interest this year unlike last year.
I don’t think that there will be much more interest in Mason this year based on a good game or three. There have been many backup QBs who have played well this season and it’s a very deep QB draft this year. I don’t think any team will be eying up Mason as QB1.
Last year I said we should have cut Mitch and signed Mason to save money. Even a 2 year deal and throw playing time incentives in there would have protected us and given us an opportunity to let Kenny and Mason fight it out in 2024. Well, now we have to cut Mitch because he is hot garbage and instead of saving money probably have to use up some if not more of it to get Mason back as dangling an "opportunity" isn't going to stop him from trying to cash in. At least it wouldn't stop me if I were him.
Unless Mason gets the Steelers into the playoffs and plays well in the playoffs, I doubt he gets paid more than 2023 Mitch. The Steelers have option just like Mason.

Methinks Coach Tomlin saw what the world saw…Rudy, while aggressive, still played with poise, composure and confidence. He may not have made every throw but he saw more than one option every time he had the opportunity to throw. He took the one sack rather throwing an interception and that was smart all things considered…

Your point of Kenny not playing well (possibly) does need to be factored in his future. What Kenny can’t do is go out and try to outshine last week’s performance. When he gets the chance—just play within his means…
Methinks you’re a hypocritical flip flopping piece of trash

Anyone criticizing Pickett’s last and best start of the year at Cincinnati was a “hater” according to your dumb ***

You should stay in your lane and stick to sammich recipes

I can imagine the blowback that will come with another extension.
I doubt Rooney will care, there’s no more home games to have the fans voices heard

If put it at 70-30 he’s extended this offseason

Last edited:
i watched the Cards, P*ts and the Bengals games carefully for the new Pickett/Truby/Mason offense. It seems like with Faulkner & Sullivan you get 4 retarded passing plays and 1 pretty good one called.
Both the P*ts & Bengals games looked like carbon copies of each other. 4 plays of evenly-spaced stick routes or the other version: even-spacing for 2 deep clear routes and 2-whatever routes (meander in or meander out toward the sidelines). It is NO WONDER Pickett and Mason looked alike statistically against the Bengals - not much has changed at all.

Honestly if i'm the D coordinator for Seattle, i'm telling my DBs, "look, if they come out in 12 or 13 just start out in zone for the first second then run man-to-man behind them on their route cause these chickens don't know how to cut, don't know where the soft spot in the zone is... and they damn sure aint fast enough to run away from you."

1 out of every 5 plays does Sullivan call a concept where a WR crosses the path of another WR or a WR runs a mirrored route behind the path of another WR.
Why? WHY shun these tactics? This is the **** that gets WR open. just ask the WRs from Detroit.
George Pickens aint winning any track meets. Nae-nae can defintely cut, but he can't pull away from a DB in the open field. Muth catches the ball but his game isn't a speed trap. And i don't think Robinson has any speed whatsoever.

So then WHY run simultaneous parallel route trees upfield?

Until Sullivan gets his head out of ***... OR if the WRs can feel as disrespected as they did last week against the Bengals and actually... ya know play Wide Receiver and make catches - then this offense aint goin Nowhere.