• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Russell Wilson

I didn’t think his last season was horrible. I think fans are going to be pleasantly surprised at his play.
Compared to what we had definitely not horrible, it’ll take KP his first contract to throw that may TDs

I’d love to be surprised by Russ actually being above average-good another year older yet and in the shackles of the Tomlin offense

QBs that get drafted early usually join a shitshow with protection issues and bad offensive philosophies. Fields joined a team with no real direction or stability. KP joined a team with a disaster of an OC and a poorly calibrated OL. Russ (being a 3rd rounder) didn't have the same pressure to succeed but he had great offensive minds in Carroll and his OC, they just had no real offensive line for years and Russ had to improvise. They had a great D though. Russ' time in Denver was plagued by poor protection and bad OL play/injuries. He also didn't mesh well with Sean Payton's expectations having spent time with the cerebral though less physically gifted Drew Brees and that may have been an issue as Russ was never known as a pure pocket passer as much as an improvisational one. Square peg met round hole.

Now Russ is in a better situation (hopefully) where the scheme design does not require him to carry the offense BUT will allow for some improv with the play-action. Seeing the field is a strength, IMO. KP never saw the whole field, nor did the scheme provide much to see with static and repetitious routes which didn't allow for surprises. Time will tell if the predictability remains OR if our receivers can handle option routes based on coverages (some guys are just athletes and not able to read defenses).

Our defense SHOULD be better but it's not where the talent should have it yet. Dick Lebeau had less talent at times and his defenses always was in the top 5. Again, some of it is just physical and sometimes it requires more cerebral players. We shall see.

Fields may not WANT a mentor, but it sounds like he will benefit from having an experienced former all-pro at this time as he was sliding off the charts in the wrong direction.

I wouldn't be surprised if Russ performed well enough to want to stay after this year. He IS the type of player who would take a lower salary to stay if he really loved the city. He's already made boatloads of cash and may not chase it as much as chasing his legacy. ALL SPECULATIVE of course!

I'm not thinking like the rest of you. I think most players don't learn from " mentors" because they don't want to. It's every man for himself.

All kinds of talk about Steelers trading Wilson to Vikes, pulling Tanneyhill out of retirement......why not grab draft capital (enough for Aiyuk?) and concentrate the QB experiment on the only QB who might offer a long term solution?

I wish the best for Wilson and the Steelers… but to be honest I think they made a huge mistake trading KP. But what’s done is done and what’s the point, as they use to say in WPA, of looking up a dead horses‘s *** to see what killed it. KP is gone GoSteelers! But for once if these moves don’t pan out heads need to roll!!
And I was gonna post "He's waaaaaay better than ******* Kenny Pickett"...

**** that. I still am. He's waaaaaay better than ******* Kenny Pickett.

The only thing I could judge Wilson on was mobility. Fields could run for life better. Unfortunately that may be needed

If Wilson falters, everyone will scream for Fields, until he starts chucking 3-4 ints a game and fumbles a few times.

If the Steelers are going anyplace this season, it will be with Wilson playing above the line.

Our baby new OL will have to grow up fast and that's not going to happen overnight. If they can't establish a solid running game, nothing else is going to matter. We will see a bunch of short passes and check downs for another season.

If Wilson falters, everyone will scream for Fields, until he starts chucking 3-4 ints a game and fumbles a few times.

If the Steelers are going anyplace this season, it will be with Wilson playing above the line.

Our baby new OL will have to grow up fast and that's not going to happen overnight. If they can't establish a solid running game, nothing else is going to matter. We will see a bunch of short passes and check downs for another season.

It’s been said, but worth repeating “this team will go only as far as the OL will take it”

Neither QB in their stage of their careers, can carry this team on their shoulders.

We have an old QB past his prime, and starting the season on a injured calf.

Then the young QB who is better suited for gadget plays, then surgically carving up a defense.

Best of luck to each QB, including the OL.

Salute the nation

I would take a 3rd or better for Wilson right now, wouldn’t even blink. This year is going to be brutal and a development year all at the same time. Get a pick for next year, take the lumps, actually spend effort developing young players and then reset next year.

I hope Wilson shows up enough to sign longer. I still can't believe in Fields. Stud athlete, below the line QB.

Make this a building year? Not a bad reality. I feel badly for Watt though.

I still think we do nothing until Tomlin is gone. Not sure he can build a winning team. I hope to heck that I am wrong here. And, I am that guy who wishes that we kept Mason.

I have the same level of concern for the qb position this year as I did last year.

Didn't like the Idea of Herbig opening as the starting C guy only had like 90 snaps. They were high Frazier hopefully he brings the toughness and some stability in the middle and Troy is healthy to practice and hopefully Jones settles down, wk 1 will be tough vs a very improved front 7 that ATL has.
I think our staff would have preferred Latham a natural RT and had Jones at LT, but MT better decide b/c with Wilson you need to give him time he is somewhat mobile but 35 and nowhere neer the escape ability of Fields play Jones cuz we know Moore is nothing but a stopgap which is why both jones and troy were drafted.

Didn't like the Idea of Herbig opening as the starting C guy only had like 90 snaps. They were high Frazier hopefully he brings the toughness and some stability in the middle and Troy is healthy to practice and hopefully Jones settles down, wk 1 will be tough vs a very improved front 7 that ATL has.
I think our staff would have preferred Latham a natural RT and had Jones at LT, but MT better decide b/c with Wilson you need to give him time he is somewhat mobile but 35 and nowhere neer the escape ability of Fields play Jones cuz we know Moore is nothing but a stopgap which is why both jones and troy were drafted.

I would take a 3rd or better for Wilson right now, wouldn’t even blink. This year is going to be brutal and a development year all at the same time. Get a pick for next year, take the lumps, actually spend effort developing young players and then reset next year.

I Think I’d take this deal too, but it would be a pretty tough decision. Maybe a 3rd and a 5th.

I’m not giving up on this season and realize that all we have seen so far is pre-season.

Once the season starts, we will be much better and not playing musical chairs nearly as much.

Salute the nation

I Think I’d take this deal too, but it would be a pretty tough decision. Maybe a 3rd and a 5th.

I’m not giving up on this season and realize that all we have seen so far is pre-season.

Once the season starts, we will be much better and not playing musical chairs nearly as much.

Salute the nation
I like your blind optimism, as misplaced as it is though.

Salute the nation
I wouldn’t take anything for either QB. A long season awaits. You need depth position to position. I try Wilson to start he either makes it or breaks it. They can then start Fields if needed. Say he goes down they can retry Wilson sometimes those scenarios spark good play sometimes not. I have no desire to see Allen this season if avoidable.

Salute the nation
Since we got him for nothing. Getting a 3rd would be awesome!

Not sure how thi season is going to go. I am torn by optimism and reality.

Since we got him for nothing. Getting a 3rd would be awesome!

Not sure how thi season is going to go. I am torn by optimism and reality.

Factual or speculation ?

Salute the nation

even if RW doesn't have to carry the team on his back he still is a clear improvement over last season QBs. He needs to be a good, not great QB for this team to win. If he plays above good this team becomes a threat though

I didn’t think his last season was horrible. I think fans are going to be pleasantly surprised at his play.
Last season his stats were better than all three of our QB's combined.