• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ryan Shazier: “I wouldn’t be surprised or upset if we get Jimmy…”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Ever since we learned 2021 would be Ben Roethlisberger’s final season, rumors have been swirling as to who we’ll see line up under center for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2022. We’ve seen a plethora of media outlets throw some big-time names into the Steelers’ bucket. We’ve seen various mock drafts showing the Steelers using their 20th overall selection on Kenny Pickett or Malik Willis. We’ve even heard Steelers’ alumni chime in on who they think would be the best fit.

This is where Ryan Shazier enters the chat.

Shazier has not only played with one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history in Roethlisberger, but he’s played against some of the best in Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rodgers. Earlier this past week, Shazier joined the crew at 93.7 The Fan to talk about his thoughts on the future of the Steelers, including who he thinks would fit best in Pittsburgh. So, who does Shazier like to take over the QB1 spot in Pittsburgh? Well, he replied by saying:

“To me personally you know, I was vouching that we get Aaron Rodgers but I don’t know how that would look like financially. Honestly, all of us love to the city of Pittsburgh, but Aaron, would he want a bigger city or would he not? That plays into some people’s decision. To me, I know some people are like ‘hey we should get Jimmy [Garoppolo]’, ‘we shouldn’t get Jimmy,’ to me, I wouldn’t be surprised or upset if we get Jimmy, and the reason I say that is because we just named all these quarterbacks. Obviously, Joe Burrow, he’s one, he’s at the Super Bowl right now. But Jimmy has been to multiple Super Bowls, he’s won Super Bowls, obviously he wasn’t the head guy, but he’s won Super Bowls, but then he also has the experience of winning consistently in the playoffs and has Super Bowl experience. So, I think somebody like that could really help out our team because we have a solid team, we have to work on our o-line, but we have a solid team and so I wouldn’t be surprised with that. Me personally, I don’t think we should draft a quarterback.”

We are all aware of how current General Manager Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin expressed their desire for a proven veteran quarterback who can move around in the pocket. I agree with Shazier in that Garoppolo fits that profile. Looking at his 2021 season, Garoppolo threw for 3,810 yards with 20 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. For reference, Roethlisberger threw for 3,740 yards with 22 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. From a financial perspective, Garoppolo is in the final year of his contract in 2022, and carries a cap hit of $26,950,000. To get Garoppolo to come to Pittsburgh, the Steelers will have to trade for him and be able to afford his cap hit; both they can certainly do. Recent reports indicate the San Francisco 49ers are seeking a ‘second round pick or better’ in dealing Garoppolo. Therefore, the question is simple; would the Steelers use one of their top picks in 2022 on a 30-year-old quarterback with a near $27,000,000 price tag? I think so.

Is Garoppolo an elite, top-tier quarterback? Not necessarily. But if Rodgers decides to stay in Green Bay and Russell Wilson takes another job elsewhere, Garoppolo gives the Steelers the best chance to not only win, but clear that playoff hurdle. The Steelers are indeed in ‘win-now’ mode, and they can’t skimp on the quarterback position in 2022.

I am all aboard the ‘Jimmy G. to Pittsburgh’ hype train. Who is with me? Who do you think would be a better fit? Do you agree with Shazier? Let us know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Jimmy Garoppolo is slightly better than Mason Rudolph. Slightly. He is not very mobile, has a tendency to make bad decisions when under pressure and toss up dying quails, is injury-prone and the 2022 version of Andy Dalton without the staying power. When healthy, he is juuuuust good enough to get into the playoffs and then toss up some duck to end the game.

No thanks. He has to be in an innovative high precision offense to be successful and that is not the Steelers.

No thanks. He has to be in an innovative high precision offense to be successful and that is not the Steelers.
So, what kind of QB is right for the Steelers? A washed up old man who can't hack it anymore?

Jimmy Garoppolo is slightly better than Mason Rudolph. Slightly. He is not very mobile, has a tendency to make bad decisions when under pressure and toss up dying quails, is injury-prone and the 2022 version of Andy Dalton without the staying power. When healthy, he is juuuuust good enough to get into the playoffs and then toss up some duck to end the game.
mmmno, he's not "slightly" better than Rudolph. He's certainly not top-tier, but he's most definitely well ahead of Rudolph. He's shown the ability to lead a team and get an offense to play at a high level, to me his only knock is that yes, he IS injury-prone. The guy was walking-wounded the last few weeks of the regular season/playoffs, when he's healthy he is much better and won't throw nearly as many questionable passes.

mmmno, he's not "slightly" better than Rudolph. He's certainly not top-tier, but he's most definitely well ahead of Rudolph. He's shown the ability to lead a team and get an offense to play at a high level, to me his only knock is that yes, he IS injury-prone. The guy was walking-wounded the last few weeks of the regular season/playoffs, when he's healthy he is much better and won't throw nearly as many questionable passes.

His last 3 seasons with the 49ers, where he had some really good running games and solid offensive lines, he threw 54 TD's and 30 interceptions. (In Ben's last two seasons, when he was 38 and 39 years old, he threw 55 TD's and 20 picks, with some really bad running games and bad offensive lines.) In Garoppolo's last six playoff games, he has thrown 4 TD's and 6 interceptions.

When I say he tosses up ducks that get picked, I am not simply making it up. He made three incredibly terrible decisions against the Rams, just tossing the ball in the air to avoid sacks, the first two of which he got away with. The first one glanced off a LBer's hands, the second Ramsey juuuust missed picking off, the third wounded duck was picked to end the game.

He should have had three picks.

So he is better than Rudolph. I say a little bit, you say a lot. You realize the debate now is, "How much better is Jimmy Garoppolo than Mason Rudolph?", right? How much would you spend to get a guy you say that about?

Last edited:
His last 3 seasons with the 49ers, where he had some really good running games and solid offensive lines, he threw 54 TD's and 30 interceptions. (In Ben's last two seasons, when he was 38 and 39 years old, he threw 55 TD's and 20 picks, with some really bad running games and bad offensive lines.) In Garoppolo's last six playoff games, he has thrown 4 TD's and 6 interceptions.

When I say he tosses up ducks that get picked, I am not simply making it up. He made three incredibly terrible decisions against the Rams, just tossing the ball in the air to avoid sacks, the first two of which he got away with. The first one glanced off a LBer's hands, the second Ramsey juuuust missed picking off, the third wounded duck was picked to end the game.

So he is better than Rudolph. I say a little bit, you say a lot. You realize the debate now is, "How much better is Jimmy Garoppolo than Mason Rudolph?", right? How much would you spend to get a guy you say that about?
again, he's had a bum shoulder since well before the playoffs even started. i agree that he does make stupid throws from time to time, but, the same can be said for most quarterbacks, even ben had his share. when he's fully healthy, he doesn't throw so many wounded ducks. i have no idea what i'd give up (or pay) to get him in pittsburgh, all i'm saying is that he's much more of a promising asset, than mason rudolph is.

I'm leaning in this direction as well - but...

I still want to get a legitimate look at Haskins now that Ben has retired. If he doesn't cut - he doesn't cut it; but before we ride the Rudy/Jimmy train let's at least see if #3 has matured and improved.

JMO

I like your logic.

And that being said - Jimmy G at 27M is gonna make be drunk a lot...at least that's what I foresee.

We need to lose the idea that we are in a "win now" mode. That hasn't been the case for at least the last two years, maybe longer. This team is in an extended rebuilding mode, offense and defense, and it starts with the line. Ryan Shazier has taken too many blows to the head if he thinks Jim G could be the answer.

We need to lose the idea that we are in a "win now" mode. That hasn't been the case for at least the last two years, maybe longer. This team is in an extended rebuilding mode, offense and defense, and it starts with the line. Ryan Shazier has taken too many blows to the head if he thinks Jim G could be the answer.
This.

The Steelers are rebuilding. I expect a couple bad seasons

You are in a rebuild mode when you have to be in a rebuild mode. In all honesty with the sheer amount of cap space plus Omar being able to manipulate there is no justification for a rebuild. Lack of talent? Go get the talent. Do their jobs and be competent. Something they haven't done well lately. Which is lost on a few is if you don't trust them to do what I outlined then how can you trust them to rebuild? Especially with being able to upgrade so many positions. They rarely have that wiggle room. They don't need to get the best free agent out there. They need to upgrade the weaknesses through free agency. We know what they are. C,QB, a speed WR,RT,RG,DE,CB. Restructure or cut the dead weight. Add that money to already attractive money available. Then upgrade positions. Attack attack attack. Be aggressive. Show these free agents your hunger for roster solidification. C and CB should be in the pre free agency window. No ***** footing snail sliding along this year. You know like their norm in every thing they do. Mix the approach up as the old approach isn't solidifying the roster. There has been posters that showed options that aren't individual player breaking the bank. So some say it isn't a one year process. If they do their damn job and be competent at it they can at minimum show competitive games this season. Eliminate the blow out JV games. They have to find ways to make that pendulum swing. Instead of a plethora of head shaking decisions. Do the fans a favor do the players a favor and stockpile the roster. That makes every game watchable. Losses more tolerable.

It is time they make free agency their friend. They need what 3/4 million to go into the season? No excuse for having 8 mil available this season. Especially if they didn't plan to use it during the season when injuries impacted.

**** that attack attack attack. 3/4 free agents brought in? You haven't done nothing get your *** back out there you have more vacuums to sell.

Last edited:
So throw out his first 3 years in New England where he made 2 starts…

Tge 49rs got him to start

Since tgey did he started
5 out of 16 games
3 out of 16 games
16 out of 16 games
6 out of 16 games
15 out of 17 games

So 45/81 games he was able to play, and some of those he played injured

56% availability isn’t exactly a gold standard for a starter

So 45/81 games he was able to play, and some of those he played injured

56% availability isn’t exactly a gold standard for a starter

Good point. Perhaps his tendency to toss up ducks when under pressure is an attempt to avoid further injury.