• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

sack man Jones!!

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/steelers/status/461955093617590272

It's happening! He's lifting, getting stronger

what is that 100 total or 150? Bar is usually 50 and that looks like 50 lb weights on each end.

though on second thought it looks like 35 pound weights on each end.

what is that 100 total or 150? Bar is usually 50 and that looks like 50 lb weights on each end.

Those bars are usually 45 lbs. And those plates look twice as wide as the common 45 lb plates in most gym, but its hard to say. I've seen 25lb plates that look like 45lb plates, but my guess is that those plates are heavier than 45lbs.

He is still wayyy too small. Man, hope he adds 20lbs.

Dude, that was the "Nickname" for Daryl Sims. For those of you who remember - you would think Ziggy Hood was Joe Greene by comparison.

I am NOT kidding.

Hey Ga....I mean Superman --- those are 100 lb plates AT LEAST based on the thickness -- in 20 years of training I have never seen 50 lb plates. There is a "physics" reason for that, so that the bar doesn't topple over, you can have 2 45s on one side and none on other and it won't tip.

The question is: What is the exercise he is doing. I am guessing by the bending of the elbows it looks like the middle of a Clean and Jerk (never was a fan of that exercise)

Last edited:
though on second thought it looks like 35 pound weights on each end.

NOT A CHANCE. Way way way way way way way.....TOOOO thin to be 35. Guarantee they are 100s. Only time I ever used 100s, they were on Leg Press only.

YEP...look like 45kg/100# plates and by the looks of the bar bend he appears to be in the middle of a C/J. Definitely not a shrug...I don't see the bar yielding like that with that wide of a grip either unless it's loading. Either way, I hope he is on his 30th rep instead of his first. He needs to get strong and we will see it in camp if he is. Sometimes guys built like him do not show strength in size but on the field. I still remember playing some of these big sloppy looking guys from some hicktown who didn't look like much...that's where I found out what "country-strong" meant!

Bar is definitely 45lbs but those look like the 35lb Crossfit bumper plates. I could be wrong though.

YEP...look like 45kg/100# plates and by the looks of the bar bend he appears to be in the middle of a C/J. Definitely not a shrug...I don't see the bar yielding like that with that wide of a grip either unless it's loading. Either way, I hope he is on his 30th rep instead of his first. He needs to get strong and we will see it in camp if he is. Sometimes guys built like him do not show strength in size but on the field. I still remember playing some of these big sloppy looking guys from some hicktown who didn't look like much...that's where I found out what "country-strong" meant!

NOT making any comparison, but Jack Lampert, had a "country strong" build.

Now as to Jones, I'm glad he is fully participating ion off season work outs. Give the kid a chance to develop as I'm seeing him putting in the work. Some nay sayers here, I feel, are actually rooting against him. Strange is that!!!!

Salute the nation

Hey Ga....I mean Superman --- those are 100 lb plates AT LEAST based on the thickness -- in 20 years of training I have never seen 50 lb plates. There is a "physics" reason for that, so that the bar doesn't topple over, you can have 2 45s on one side and none on other and it won't tip.

The question is: What is the exercise he is doing. I am guessing by the bending of the elbows it looks like the middle of a Clean and Jerk (never was a fan of that exercise)

Those are the FAT KG plates. And yeah they are a lot more than 50 lbs.

for sure by the season starts he needs to have 20 lbs of bulk added to his frame, that should help him play like the olb/de he was at georgia.

for sure by the season starts he needs to have 20 lbs of bulk added to his frame, that should help him play like the olb/de he was at georgia.

Pretty tough to add 20lbs of muscle in 4 months without some extra "help"

sac man? Don't you need to have some of those first or is this an honorary title? Now maybe he just needs to improve his strength and not his bulk. There were a couple of fairly strong slender kids on my sons football team, and they surprised a lot of people during games. So lets hope Jones gets some strength, some pass rush moves, and a better understanding of the game so he can react quicker.

Last edited:
Those absolutely could be 25/35/45 pound plates. In areas where the bar goes to the floor, places that can afford them use rubber plates. Hard to tell the weight on those plates without seeing it stamped.

kgbumpers-h1_1.jpg

Most gyms do not have them because the rubber bumper plates are actually more expensive than the steel plates.
Hard to say what exercise it is. Maybe he is in the middle of taking it from his waist to his shoulders or maybe he is about to send the weights to the floor. Lots of guys drop those rubber weights.

TMC, the pic you provided identifies the plates as KG, not pounds .... so they would be either 55/77/99 pound plates (Hopefully 99 lol).

We had those in our high school weight room for cleans and such. The largest ones we had were slimmer than the ones pictured and weighed 25 kg, or 55 lbs. I'd guess, like some have said, that those are the 45kg, 99 lb plates.

In TMC picture it has a range of 5 KG or 11 pounds all the way to 25 KG or 55 pounds. I've only seen those once in a gym. I really liked them but it was difficult to tell what size they were just by looking at them. I'm so use to the 45 lbs, 25 lbs, etc... metal weights.

TMC, the pic you provided identifies the plates as KG, not pounds .... so they would be either 55/77/99 pound plates (Hopefully 99 lol).

I realize the ones I showed as an example were KG. It is because most of the photos that showed various sizes did not give the thickness angle well and many are color coded. But, I looked through other workout photos and can promise you that he was not using weights with KG. In fact....

temp2014_OSWkr_0502_0163_1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

temp2014_OSWkr_0502_0109_1--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

If those were 99 pound plates, I will drive to a draft day party and blow all the attendees. No doubt in my mind there were not more than 45s.

If those were 45s, he better have been doing some fast rep ****... We were cleaning that much freshman year of HS.

If those were 99 pound plates, I will drive to a draft day party and blow all the attendees. No doubt in my mind there were not more than 45s.

Sad state of affairs if they were 45s. Unless they were doing something requiring high reps. Even then, 45s? Sheesh