• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Schefter: Steelers' Mike Tomlin Is Absolutely A "Big Fan Of Justin Fields"; Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill In Mix

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are firmly in the market to add another quarterback to the mix for the 2024 season. Kenny Pickett has yet to show in two seasons that he's fully ready to take over, and Head Coach Mike Tomlin said at his end-of-the-year press conference that the team will be looking to bring in competition. Mason Rudolph played well for the team down the stretch to get them into the playoffs, but is a pending unrestricted free agent and could find a suitor elsewhere. ESPN insider Adam Schefter recently provided an update on the Steelers quarterback situation with one name to keep an eye on in particular.

READ MORE

Yinz know who I like...

Aint going happen though...

I think they give Pickett one more shot and if Mason leaves they cut Mitch and sign Tannehill as an emergency policy...

If they really dont believe in Kenny....Lets get Wilson on-board!

Tannehill - meh. He's on the way down and is beginning to look very washed up.

Wilson - Wilson had a pretty good year this past season, but could lose it at any point. I also don't know what his deal is, he seems to rub his teammates the wrong way, or is that just me with a bad read?

Fields - I get the physical attributes, they're intriguing. He just hasn't proven it with any consistency on the field for three years now.

Tannehill - meh. He's on the way down and is beginning to look very washed up.

Wilson - Wilson had a pretty good year this past season, but could lose it at any point. I also don't know what his deal is, he seems to rub his teammates the wrong way, or is that just me with a bad read?

Fields - I get the physical attributes, they're intriguing. He just hasn't proven it with any consistency on the field for three years now.
Who is available without giving up a pick?

I think that is why Tannehill gets the nod as well as the new OCs ties...

Thing about Mitch is that he us such a tiny savings. You still need to put a QB in there. It won't be free.
Harvin 3 basically had to tea bag Tomlin in the face with his inconsistencies.
As far as Chuks goes he might be better than Moore but happened to say wrong thing wrong time in front of Shades. Meanwhile the two wr. Dipshits have run rapshaud all over the place with Tomlin excusing their behavior and having DJ apologize.

Who is available without giving up a pick?

I think that is why Tannehill gets the nod as well as the new OCs ties...
They could probably trade Johnson and a late round pick for Fields.

He would play well here and I’ll be ok with some INTs if he can actually score TDs something our starting QB can’t seem to do very well.

Yeah I want no part of Fields.

Not trying to start an argument, but curious as to why not?

Here are my arguments
  • He has outperformed everyone in our QB room (not too difficult, I know) on a MUCH worse team
  • He has some elite attributes, and if he can 'figure it out', he has a pretty high ceiling that can compete with the big dogs
  • He is younger than KP, with likely more upside
  • We are not in a position to draft a QB with similar potential upside. And given our track record, we likely won't be in position next year (with a worse QB class).
  • You obviously need a top-10ish QB to truly compete. Almost everyone with eyes can see that Fields is much more likely to become this than KP.

I would rather swing and miss going for a QB, than a 2nd round LB/CB.

Here are my arguments
  • He has outperformed everyone in our QB room (not too difficult, I know) on a MUCH worse team
  • He has some elite attributes, and if he can 'figure it out', he has a pretty high ceiling that can compete with the big dogs
  • We are not in a position to draft a QB with similar potential upside. And given our track record, we likely won't be in position next year (with a worse QB class).
  • You obviously need a top-10ish QB to truly compete. Almost everyone with eyes can see that Fields is much more likely to become this than KP.

My thinking:

He doesn't seem like he can read defenses well.

He has the look of a running QB instead of a QB who passes on the run - not a pure passing QB.

He isn't accurate with a 61 completion percentage.

He has issues with turnovers.

Steelers have a lot of needs, so they really aren't in a position to sacrifice a high draft pick on an unproven question mark. So I basically aren't in favor of giving up draft capital for high risks.

Their new OC hasn't shown capable of developing a QB. Not saying he can't but it is a big question mark.

I’ll tell you boys I just don’t trust shades handling this QB situation.
They’re talking this morning on 93.7 The Fan about Tomlin having the last say on draft picks and FA and only how Art can override shades. That’s ******* scary!
Then they talked about past drafts from like 2018 and how there is hardly anyone left from 2018 thru 2020 drafts where guys should be on their second contracts. Pretty depressing but my point is if shades does indeed have final say this is just another indictment on his poor player evaluation.

I remember last year when he fell head over hooker heels for Malik Willis. I was scared to death he would pick him.

Here are my arguments

Has he? I will take Kenny's wins and fewer turnovers any day of the week. I want no part of fields. I roll with Kenny and some backups that cost no picks this year. I am not giving up draft capital for Fields.

Last edited:
See this is what non losing seasons and finishing in the middle does for you.
When your team drafts 18,19 20 you just aren’t going to get your franchise QB.
Yes you can draft very good players at that spot but not franchise QBs unless you get damn, damn lucky like the Packers with Aaron Rodgers at 24 years ago or Dan Marino at the end of the draft in 83. Those are very few and far between.

See this is what non losing seasons and finishing in the middle does for you.
When your team drafts 18,19 20 you just aren’t going to get your franchise QB.
Yes you can draft very good players at that spot but not franchise QBs unless you get damn, damn lucky like the Packers with Aaron Rodgers at 24 years ago or Dan Marino at the end of the draft in 83. Those are very few and far between.
It is also why you don't chase QB's. Let's find out what we really have in Kenny, total buy in sink or swim. If we succeed great but if not let's fail spectacularly doing it and get a better pick. Picking high is also a crap shoot on QB's. They seem to fail just as often.

It is also why you don't chase QB's. Let's find out what we really have in Kenny, total buy in sink or swim. If we succeed great but if not let's fail spectacularly doing it and get a better pick. Picking high is also a crap shoot on QB's. They seem to fail just as often.
I hear ya...and can follow that logic....

But if the Steelers really felt that way...I say that when Kenny was healthy to return ...he would of been reinserted into the starting line-up regardless of Mason's play to that point.

My thinking:

He has the look of a running QB instead of a QB who passes on the run - not a pure passing QB.

Steelers have a lot of needs, so they really aren't in a position to sacrifice a high draft pick on an unproven question mark. So I basically aren't in favor of giving up draft capital for high risks.

Their new OC hasn't shown capable of developing a QB. Not saying he can't but it is a big question mark.
Fair enough
  • Reading defenses: Really difficult to diagnosis this, particularly just how bad Chicago's weapons and scheme were. Imagine having worse coordinators than Canada, and having one of your top WR's be Claypool.
  • Running QB: I would say the majority of top QB's fit this mold (Lamar, Allen, Hurts). Hell, the Ravens would have been in the SB this year if Lamar doesnt decide to become a pocket passer in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship.
  • Accuracy: Fields % was 61.4% with a 6.9 Y/A. KP's was 62% with a 6.4 Y/A. In other words, KP is relatively less accurate than Justin Fields.
  • Turnovers: No argument there. The fumbles are concerning. But if you watch him, he definitely was forced to play a lot of 'Hero Ball'.

Has he? I will take Kenny's wins and fewer turnovers any day of the week. I want no part of fields. I roll with Kenny and some backups that cost no picks this year. I am not giving up draft capital for Fields.

Those are not Kenny's wins. You can make the argument that he didn't actively LOSE those games, but he surely did nothing to WIN those games with his 0.5 TD/game

Also- if we are rolling with KP and some broken down backup, we are essentially capping our season at 9 wins. Because there are only so many times that you can rely on your defense to win the turnover battle.

Wilson is a big "NO". Tannehill isn't bad to be QB2. Fields is an interesting one but I definitely wouldn't give up a 1st for him and I really wouldn't want to give up a 2nd rounder for him which is looking like the current probability. A 3rd round pick I might be able to stomach.

i call bullshit on the big names, we are getting either tannehill or keeping Rudolph, that's it. Expect a mid/late QB to be drafted too.

Those are not Kenny's wins. You can make the argument that he didn't actively LOSE those games, but he surely did nothing to WIN those games with his 0.5 TD/game

Also- if we are rolling with KP and some broken down backup, we are essentially capping our season at 9 wins. Because there are only so many times that you can rely on your defense to win the turnover battle.
Disagree on both. They are Kenny's wins, as soon as you put Mitch in, we demonstrably lose games we won with Kenny. Mitch doesn't come in and lead us to wins when Kenny goes down. Kenny was also very good until later in his second season late in games. My opinion based on the evidence is that he was so brainwashed into not turning the ball over at any cost that it made him extremely gun shy early in games and hurt his development. He has shown the ability to let loose and move the ball when the chips are down.

Steel Dino​

But if the Steelers really felt that way...I say that when Kenny was healthy to return ...he would of been reinserted into the starting line-up regardless of Mason's play to that point.
Possibly or they thought it would just be best to get his head clear and sit and watch. I am sure it will be a big motivator. I don't think it has any bearing on their future plans and is being read into way too much as is everything.

My thinking:

Geeeez…….haven’t we learned our lessons using a Bears first round QB? Seems like it was just yesterday……. Oh wait.😳😳

38 fumbles in 3 years. 38. And that’s with missing 11 games in those 3 years. 38.

60.3% completion rate. 40 TD’S. 30 INT’S.
For being an escape artist running style QB…….135 sacks in 3 years. 135. Again…..those are not 3 full years. He missed 11 games. 38 fumbles. 38.

The thing he’s got going for him is he’s still only 24. I’ve seen his arm look great one game,then horrible for 3. Have the Bears and the Oline ruined the kid? Who knows? He was the 4th QB picked in 2021 behind Lawrence,Wilson,Lance. Just ahead of Mac Jones.

If we take a chance on Fields it had better be not more than a 3rd. And the thing is…..we will still have 2 totally unproven question marks on the team. And QB controversy all year long. Again. Who knows….maybe one of them lights it up next year.