• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Schefter: Steelers' Mike Tomlin Is Absolutely A "Big Fan Of Justin Fields"; Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill In Mix

All I am saying is that you cannot go into next year with a bottom-3 QB and expect Tomlin and the Steelers to win more than 10 games. We have to do something to shake up that hole in the roster.
Yesir!
I have an idea....definitely a perfect hole plugger for 2 years or so, until we find better...and can win the division and even win a playoff game or 3....

Hmmmm?.

Last edited:
The ceiling is highest with Fields, more so than with Tannenhill or Wilson.
Dont need a ceiling with Wilson...just 2-3 more good years, which he is extremely capable off...

But like I said..it will be Kenny and probably Mason or Tannehill...

For all the people concerned with Fields' turnovers/sacks/etc.....

QB A : QB B: QB C:
104 games played 40 games played 92 games played
198 sacks 135 sacks 185 sacks
82 interceptions 30 interceptions 51 interceptions
37 fumbles 16 fumbles 38 fumbles
6 years played in the league 3 years played in the league 6 years in the league

QB A has played in the post season 5 of their 6 years in the league.
QB B has never played in a playoff game.
QB C has played in the post season 4 of their 6 years in the league

I post these stats, not as a measuring stick, but to illustrate sometimes it's the QB, and sometimes it's the TEAM around them.
It's not a one size fits all, or it's all this or all that.
Coaching staff, HC, OC, QB coach.
Line play. Weapons around them. Ground game. Defense. Special teams. EVERYTHING regarding the TEAM.

From the latest chatter, it seems the 1st round pick in return is a weed filled pipe dream from the Bears.
The latest is a 2nd or 3rd.
I can understand the hesitancy on the 2 maybe, but if Fields could be had for a 3rd?
That's TOO tempting to not throw a dart at.

QBA = Josh Allen
QBB = Justin Fields
QBC = Lamar Jackson

CLEARLY, Allen and Jackson have monumentally better teams around them then Fields.
But these kind of QBs are risk/reward with their big play capabilities.
Yeah, they're not old school pocket passers, but we don't have one of those either, nor are we getting one this draft.

I like Fields, but even I think a 1st is way too steep.

A 2nd? Probably worth it.

A 3rd? Absolutely worth it.

Steelers are usually average to ok on their decisions. I expect one of the dumber teams to give up more than the Steelers are willing to give up. If they were interested in the first place....

Nix or Penix in the 2nd would be great!

I just want to see the position addressed and properly challenged. Because we ain't doing anything until we get a serviceable QB.
I dunno on Nix. I wasn't enamored with his senior bowl...

I dunno on Nix. I wasn't enamored with his senior bowl...

I haven't read/seen anything lately on Nix. Someone made the 'J.Herbert' comp earlier in the year and that got me intrigued lol.

I actually like Penix best, despite his awful delivery. Hoping his injury concerns drops him to the second.

1. Bears are moving on because they have the option to draft someone with the potential of becoming Mahomes (and for cheaper), whereas Fields' comp is something like a Jalen Hurts. Hell, there is still chatter that they are looking to keep Fields and move back in the draft for more picks. This is a far cry from them simply giving up on a player.
  2. 86 Rating is solid relatively speaking. Fields has endured a much worse O-Line, offensive scheme, and weapons, yet somehow manages to outperform KP. Again answer me this question- How would KP have performed in a Bears uniform this year?
  3. Sink or swim? Our offense convincingly sunk this year yet we still won 10 games (defense and coaching). That being said, it is very unlikely that we are going to be drafting high enough to grab a top prospect (in a much worse draft year for QB's, mind you).
All I am saying is that you cannot go into next year with a bottom-3 QB and expect Tomlin and the Steelers to win more than 10 games. We have to do something to shake up that hole in the roster.
I have a question. How can you spend all that time typing and seriously say a worse offensive scheme. Really. A worse scheme. There were literally memes about the Steelers OC. One player said why don't we take knees. And the first coach fired mid season in anyone's recent memory. To which with a new OC KP had a best game of the season outing before being hurt the next game.

Last edited:
For all the people concerned with Fields' turnovers/sacks/etc.....

QB A : QB B: QB C:
104 games played 40 games played 92 games played
198 sacks 135 sacks 185 sacks
82 interceptions 30 interceptions 51 interceptions
37 fumbles 16 fumbles 38 fumbles
6 years played in the league 3 years played in the league 6 years in the league

QB A has played in the post season 5 of their 6 years in the league.
QB B has never played in a playoff game.
QB C has played in the post season 4 of their 6 years in the league

I post these stats, not as a measuring stick, but to illustrate sometimes it's the QB, and sometimes it's the TEAM around them.
It's not a one size fits all, or it's all this or all that.
Coaching staff, HC, OC, QB coach.
Line play. Weapons around them. Ground game. Defense. Special teams. EVERYTHING regarding the TEAM.

From the latest chatter, it seems the 1st round pick in return is a weed filled pipe dream from the Bears.
The latest is a 2nd or 3rd.
I can understand the hesitancy on the 2 maybe, but if Fields could be had for a 3rd?
That's TOO tempting to not throw a dart at.

QBA = Josh Allen
QBB = Justin Fields
QBC = Lamar Jackson

CLEARLY, Allen and Jackson have monumentally better teams around them then Fields.
But these kind of QBs are risk/reward with their big play capabilities.
Yeah, they're not old school pocket passers, but we don't have one of those either, nor are we getting one this draft.
But if it is the team around him and coaching couldn't that argument be made for other QB's as well? The track record of OSU QB's also comes into the discussion. Only one has done well in reality.

But if it is the team around him and coaching couldn't that argument be made for other QB's as well? The track record of OSU QB's also comes into the discussion. Only one has done well in reality.
Yes, sir.
Absolutely.
No argument here.

Could Arthur Smith turn Kenny into the next coming......? He could.
Was Kenny a late bloomer in college and could he be a late bloomer in the NFL......? He could
Both Fields and Pickett were in garbage offenses the last two years.
But strictly using the eye test, Fields seems to have the higher ceiling, better athleticism, more to mold.
I just like the buy low opportunity on Fields since our roster is only 1 QB at this point.
Even if we draft at QB, still need another anyway.
And again, no way should we trade a 1st for Fields ( and hopefully Tomlin can't force this, and Khan and Weidle and/or The Deuce shut that **** down if he tried).
But a 2nd? It's intriguing.
A 3rd? In a heartbeat. No brainer.
I just fear the Bears will try to fleece us back for Claypool.

Sell me on Fields because here's what I see.
3 years with a 10-28 record when starting.
Has never thrown for more than 20 TDs in a season.
TD:INT ratio isn't great
Arguably regressed from year 2 to year 3. TD total was inflated with 2 four TD games, only 8 TDs in his other 11 starts.
Low completion percentage.
Major decline in rushing statistics.

Fields absolutely has more physical tools than Pickett. I won't deny that. However, he's been pretty bad for three years and you are hoping he gets better to maximize his potential. As it stands now, we are hoping Kenny gets better. I think a significant segment of the fanbase knows what Pickett is about and he's unlikely to be a franchise or even above average QB based on what we've seen. What makes Fields any different?

Other problem with Fields. You are going to have to guarentee him 23 million in his option year by end of May or he will be a FA in 2025. And no way you are giving up a 2nd round or for God sakes not a 1st without picking up the option.

Arguably regressed from year 2 to year 3. TD total was inflated with 2 four TD games, only 8 TDs in his other 11 starts.

Fields absolutely has more physical tools than Pickett. I won't deny that. However, he's been pretty bad for three years and you are hoping he gets better to maximize his potential. As it stands now, we are hoping Kenny gets better. I think a significant segment of the fanbase knows what Pickett is about and he's unlikely to be a franchise or even above average QB based on what we've seen. What makes Fields any different?
Yep just a high risk. If you are going to eat up salary cap I think you have to be getting a more stable option.

A high risk option that limits your free agency better be successful. With a HC that has a little more pressure on him than in the past to have better end year results not sure that is the best path to travel.

They had a decent question on The Fan...which scenario (to the best of my memory) would you take?

1. Mason Rudolph back at 2 years, $12 million
2. Ryan Tannehill 1 year, $7 million
3. Russell Wilson 1 year, league minimum (since Denver is paying him)
4. Justin Fields for a 2nd and 5th
5. Bo Nix at 1.20
6. Michael Penix at 1.20
7. Kirk Cousins 2 years, $90 million

They had a decent question on The Fan...which scenario (to the best of my memory) would you take?

5. Bo Nix at 1.20
6. Michael Penix at 1.20
Who did you like? I prefer Penix in 2. So I would go Tannehill. Cousins is tempting but man pricey...

Look Fields has a chance to rebound, but a fourth year first rounder that has poor accuracy numbers shouldnt have a mid round return.

He should get a conditional low round pick and they absolutely need to get out of that guaranteed fifth year or its utterly toxic.

Basically fields is the kind of guy you take a chance on if he is free now.. you just cant spend assets on and commit to a fourth year refurb qb project when you have a third year qb on the roster..

Its just not the way the current rookie salary structure allows..

The reality is they cant afford to spend any premium picks on QB right this second. They have to decide what to do with Pickett, they need an established option in case he fails and they need to soend all their premium picks on need positions this season because if Pickett fails, they have to dip into the top end qb pool next year

One could argue that Fields didn't have many weapons to rely on. I mean, Chicago was so desperate that they gave up essentially, a first round draft pick for claypuff. Justin Fields was also the Bears leading rusher this past season, which is frigg'n sad.

5. Bo Nix at 1.20
6. Michael Penix at 1.20
Great post Steelerfan448!
My Trifecta is:
3-1-2

Cousins. I don't see any of the other options moving the needle for this team.
With how this team approaches everything just probably not a realistic want. Definitely would be an approach I would take on. As they already showed the ability to free up cap space. So they could be competitive if they were aggressive enough. I also think they don't want to shelf Kenny yet. With Cousins you aren't spending that amount and having an open QB competition. Now I think our GM and assistant GM is ballsy enough to pull it off. But would Tomlin and Rooney sign off? Not so sure...