• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Schefter: Steelers' Mike Tomlin Is Absolutely A "Big Fan Of Justin Fields"; Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill In Mix

Disagree on both. They are Kenny's wins, as soon as you put Mitch in, we demonstrably lose games we won with Kenny. Mitch doesn't come in and lead us to wins when Kenny goes down. Kenny was also very good until later in his second season late in games. My opinion based on the evidence is that he was so brainwashed into not turning the ball over at any cost that it made him extremely gun shy early in games and hurt his development. He has shown the ability to let loose and move the ball when the chips are down.

Possibly or they thought it would just be best to get his head clear and sit and watch. I am sure it will be a big motivator. I don't think it has any bearing on their future plans and is being read into way too much as is everything.

RE: Kenny's wins
I admitted that he may not outright lose games (ala Mitch), but explain to me how his 13tds/13Ints is contributing to any sort of winning? For context- Steelers finished the season ranked 13th, while Kenny was ranked #29th amongst QB's. We are clearly 'outkicking our coverage' with respect to QB play.

RE: Brainwashed
Your opinion is flawed, because Rudolph had no issue throwing the rock all over the field, including the MOF. Also if turnovers were such a big deal, you would figure that Trubiski would have been also been overly cautious (which would actually have helped).

RE: Getting his head clear
You don't bench your franchise QB. Its pretty simple. But they did. Pretty much feels like the KP train is coming to a slow and *predictable* end

If Mike Tomlin was a race horse owner, he'd be broke. He would look at the muscle tone, the athleticism, the pedigree and buy it on the spot forgetting the fact that the horse is 6 years old.

"Obviously, he has pedigree. Um, I like what he brings to the stable. We're not going to hope and wish, Um, we're going to continue our Qwest for dominance and unleash Hell at the Stakes. "

If Mike Tomlin was a race horse owner, he'd be broke. He would look at the muscle tone, the athleticism, the pedigree and buy it on the spot forgetting the fact that the horse is 6 years old.

"Obviously, he has pedigree. Um, I like what he brings to the stable. We're not going to hope and wish, Um, we're going to continue our Qwest for dominance and unleash Hell at the Stakes. "
Love the analogy Badcat...I'm a frustrated handicapper lol...

My pappy told me a long time ago...If your unsure which horse to take, bet the one with the biggest nostrils..
I dont share that with just anyone you know.. ;)

Good Luck ☘️

Not trying to start an argument, but curious as to why not?

Here are my arguments
  • He has outperformed everyone in our QB room (not too difficult, I know) on a MUCH worse team
  • He has some elite attributes, and if he can 'figure it out', he has a pretty high ceiling that can compete with the big dogs
  • He is younger than KP, with likely more upside
  • We are not in a position to draft a QB with similar potential upside. And given our track record, we likely won't be in position next year (with a worse QB class).
  • You obviously need a top-10ish QB to truly compete. Almost everyone with eyes can see that Fields is much more likely to become this than KP.

I would rather swing and miss going for a QB, than a 2nd round LB/CB.
Justin Fields is a 60 percent 2200 yard per season one TD Pass per game QB. You might split hairs and say he is better then Pickett because you do not like Pickett but he is not significantly better. As far as a better team.....better defense sure. Better offense.....that is very debatable. I'd give Pickett another season if he stinks with Aurther Smith....draft 2025. Getting a little better then Kenny might make for an extra win. Not moving dial on contending. And for the love of God can he play more than two games with an OC not named Matt Canada before we decide he is hopeless.

Justin Fields is a 60 percent 2200 yard per season one TD Pass per game QB. You might split hairs and say he is better then Pickett because you do not like Pickett but he is not significantly better. As far as a better team.....better defense sure. Better offense.....that is very debatable. I'd give Pickett another season if he stinks with Aurther Smith....draft 2025. Getting a little better then Kenny might make for an extra win. Not moving dial on contending. And for the love of God can he play more than two games with an OC not named Matt Canada before we decide he is hopeless.
I'm looking at anyone who wants to get Fields isn't much different than anyone who wants to give Kenny another chance. Neither has lived up to the first-round selections and really have just flat out been disappointments. Both have major issues that have kept them from developing into above average QBs. Fields just gives fans hope because he has better athletic abilities and overall the physical skills you want from a top QB. Kenny had to win with football IQ, decision making, and accuracy, none of which he has demonstrated.

RE: Kenny's wins
I admitted that he may not outright lose games (ala Mitch), but explain to me how his 13tds/13Ints is contributing to any sort of winning? For context- Steelers finished the season ranked 13th, while Kenny was ranked #29th amongst QB's. We are clearly 'outkicking our coverage' with respect to QB play.
A QB's job is to outscore the other team, it doesn't have to be by throwing TD's. Not turning the ball over is tried and true way of not losing games and having a shot to win. Sure, you would love to see TD's but I don't give a rat's *** how we score more than the other team just that we do. Kenny has a record of winning games. Excuse it away all you want but it is a fact.

RE: Brainwashed
Your opinion is flawed, because Rudolph had no issue throwing the rock all over the field, including the MOF. Also if turnovers were such a big deal, you would figure that Trubiski would have been also been overly cautious (which would actually have helped).
Trubiski just sucks and was trying to prove he was worth being the starter and made terrible choices. Mason had the benefit Kenny only had for 5 quarters of play, not having Canada call the plays. Even with them being mostly the same plays the how and when was far better. And Kenny did do very well throwing the ball as soon as Matt was canned. While it didn't lead to instant scoring it did lead to the first 400+ game in years and he had a TD taken away as well as it being wet and cold with wind in Cincy. He also was completing 70% of his passes in the next game when he got hurt. Why do you and others totally discount the instant improvement in his game when Matt leaves. YOu only want to compare apples and oranges with his Canada games against Mason's non Canada games.
RE: Getting his head clear
You don't bench your franchise QB. Its pretty simple. But they did. Pretty much feels like the KP train is coming to a slow and *predictable* end
Yes, you sometimes do. Terry Bradshaw was benched multiple times before the lights came on. I benched starters when I coached to get their heads right or out of their ***** if needed. Why wouldn't you?

To anyone who says Kenny isn't getting another chance just STFU already. Tomlin shouldn't be coaching this **** show any more but yet he is. Kenny has a four year contract. I agree if he doesn't show marked improvement youbshould probably move on. But at 20 you are not getting a Q and they aren't drafting one anyhow. So they can go to the well for all of you and get a name for another 9 or 10 win season or they can put this kid in sink or swim and take the shackles off. Let him throw it in harms way. If he can't do it go all the way to 6 or 7 wins and try and draft again in 2025.

I think some of you guys are being a bit unfair concerning Kenny Pickett's status as a starter in the league. He only has 25 games under his belt, all of which are in a dog **** offensive system and under a dog **** offensive coordinator. If you're honest with yourself, even Big Ben couldn't overcome it. Maybe you guys are right in the long term but let's give the young lad a chance to prove that in the right system, he can be the QB1

I don't hate Kenny, I just despise incompetent play. I DO hate that we reached for a poor-mans Andy Dalton.

My point is that Fields has i.) Performed better on a much worse team, and. 2.) Has elite athleticism and arm strength. I am not saying he is a top flight QB, but he has certainly MUCH closer than KP.

But its not even that much of a debate between Fields and Pickett. Ask yourself what the trade value would be for KP and I think you have your answer.

P.S. Just about everyone outside of Pitt fans understands that KP sucks:
https://www.the33rdteam.com/ranking-every-nfl-quarterback-entering-2024-offseason/

A QB's job is to outscore the other team, it doesn't have to be by throwing TD's. Not turning the ball over is tried and true way of not losing games and having a shot to win.

This isn't baseball- you don't get credit for simply 'not losing' as the QB. The best QB's, the ones considered winners, put points on the board. In today's league, the QB has to be the center of the show, not someone who simply hands the ball off, or throws check downs.

For example, Burrow had a subpar record his first couple of years (12-13), but everyone knew he would be elite b/c he could put points on the board (47)

Trubiski just sucks and was trying to prove he was worth being the starter and made terrible choices. Mason had the benefit Kenny only had for 5 quarters of play, not having Canada call the plays. Even with them being mostly the same plays the how and when was far better. And Kenny did do very well throwing the ball as soon as Matt was canned. While it didn't lead to instant scoring it did lead to the first 400+ game in years and he had a TD taken away as well as it being wet and cold with wind in Cincy. He also was completing 70% of his passes in the next game when he got hurt. Why do you and others totally discount the instant improvement in his game when Matt leaves. YOu only want to compare apples and oranges with his Canada games against Mason's non Canada games.

I will just say this- sure KP looked better w/o Canada, but he only managed a whopping 16 points. But more importantly, it is his lack of 'wow' that is concerning. Good, young, QB's will show you some elite qualities, albeit inconsistently. Even in spite of coaching.

Fields has flashed at times (again, very inconsistently) with arguably worse coaching and personnel. But KP has shown nothing that would have anyone believe that he is going to be anything more than a QB2.

So how many chances does Pickett get? So when he sucks this year, are we going to ***** about Smith's offense, everyone will be crying look what he did to develop Ritter, look at his teams passing rankings, blah, blah, and we'll hear the same thing again, Pickett isn't in a good system. Pickett does not do anything well or good, it doesn't matter what system, if your guys is going to be a franchise guy, then he'll show signs of that even if I'm the one calling plays. He's shown none, average at best arm talent, slow progressing through his reads, and inaccurate.
The two games everyone talks about with Pickett are in 2022 vs the Raiders and the Rats, our offense scored 6 and 9 points up until the final drives in those games, those game winning drives were made possible because the defense held the Raider and Rats to something like 10 and 13 points.

I believe it would be a mistake to give up collateral for Fields not knowing whether he is the guy. They've already invested/wasted a first round pick on Kenny. We have far too many other positions of need to gamble on a what if at QB now. They need to address the OL drastically for any QB to find more success. DL, MLB, DB and possibly WR are all areas where we are deficient, in addition to QB. This is why reaching for Kenny 2 years ago was a mistake when we could've filled some of these other needs and then gambled on a trade.

I don't hate Kenny, I just despise incompetent play. I DO hate that we reached for a poor-mans Andy Dalton.

My point is that Fields has i.) Performed better on a much worse team, and. 2.) Has elite athleticism and arm strength. I am not saying he is a top flight QB, but he has certainly MUCH closer than KP.

But its not even that much of a debate between Fields and Pickett. Ask yourself what the trade value would be for KP and I think you have your answer.

P.S. Just about everyone outside of Pitt fans understands that KP sucks:
https://www.the33rdteam.com/ranking-every-nfl-quarterback-entering-2024-offseason/
So what you are saying is that Kenny Pickett is responsible for the lack of production of the Steelers but Fields is not for his team cause the Steelers are a GOOD team and the Bears are not. I don't think the Steelers are a good team. I think they have some good players I sure the Bears do to. But I have a lot of issues with the Steelers being a GOOD team.

Reactions: GMC
Bottom line is that Kenny will get another chance in 2024 and the ball is in his court. It’s completely up to Kenny what he does with this opportunity with a new OC, new system, passing game coordinator and mew WR coach.
I think they will sign Ryan Tannehill to offer competition but I think he ends up being the backup.
Kenny has a lot of work to do this off season and I suspect he’ll come back ready to take advantage of most likely this last chance.
I don’t see the organization trading most likely a second round pick for Justin Fields. Not when a team has so many holes to fill. I’d be very surprised if Art agreed to give up a second round pick and give up on Kenny.

This isn't baseball- you don't get credit for simply 'not losing' as the QB. The best QB's, the ones considered winners, put points on the board. In today's league, the QB has to be the center of the show, not someone who simply hands the ball off, or throws check downs.

For example, Burrow had a subpar record his first couple of years (12-13), but everyone knew he would be elite b/c he could put points on the board (47)

I will just say this- sure KP looked better w/o Canada, but he only managed a whopping 16 points. But more importantly, it is his lack of 'wow' that is concerning. Good, young, QB's will show you some elite qualities, albeit inconsistently. Even in spite of coaching.

Fields has flashed at times (again, very inconsistently) with arguably worse coaching and personnel. But KP has shown nothing that would have anyone believe that he is going to be anything more than a QB2.
Again, Kenny has shown that but people very conveniently forget all his late game heroics his rookie year and his rating under pressure his rookie year. We don't have big enough sample size without Canada but what we do have is very encouraging. Remember that game against Cincinnati he did throw another TD and we failed to challenge it.

Funny you mention Burrow as he is my prime example of why you don't go chasing another QB until you have fixed the line and coaching issues. He has played well when healthy but how often has he been healthy? Fix the line and coaching then worry about another QB if needed. If we give up too much to get another QB who is just as much a crap shoot we don't have the picks and collateral needed to fix the rest.

Bottom line is that Kenny will get another chance in 2024 and the ball is in his court. It’s completely up to Kenny what he does with this opportunity with a new OC, new system, passing game coordinator and mew WR coach.
I think they will sign Ryan Tannehill to offer competition but I think he ends up being the backup.
Kenny has a lot of work to do this off season and I suspect he’ll come back ready to take advantage of most likely this last chance.
I don’t see the organization trading most likely a second round pick for Justin Fields. Not when a team has so many holes to fill. I’d be very surprised if Art agreed to give up a second round pick and give up on Kenny.
Exactly.

So what you are saying is that Kenny Pickett is responsible for the lack of production of the Steelers but Fields is not for his team cause the Steelers are a GOOD team and the Bears are not. I don't think the Steelers are a good team. I think they have some good players I sure the Bears do to. But I have a lot of issues with the Steelers being a GOOD team.

KP is partially responsible for the lack of production of the offense as a whole. But he is totally responsible for his lack of production. 17 total TD in two years is abysmal no matter how you try to spin it. And if you are KP, you are probably spinning blindly to your left, and right into a sack lol.

And yes- the Steelers are a Good team, as evidenced by their record. Not great, or superb, but good. The bears, otoh, are awful. Not really even up for debate.

Dont believe me? The last two years the Bears defense has allowed 23 and 27(!) PPG. What do you think KP's record would be on that team?

Last edited:
KP is partially responsible for the lack of production of the offense as a whole. But he is totally responsible for his lack of production. 17 total TD in two years is abysmal no matter how you try to spin it. And if you are KP, you are probably spinning blindly to your left, and right into a sack lol.

And yes- the Steelers are a Good team, as evidenced by their record. Not great, or superb, but good. The bears, otoh, are awful. Not really even up for debate.

Dont believe me? The last two years the Bears defense has allowed 23 and 27(!) PPG. What do you think KP's record would be on that team?
Don’t you think the huge amount of turnovers directly attributed to fields makes that defense look a whole lot worse? And despite possibly less td’s less turnovers by the QB with Kenny playing for them would improve their defensive numbers. A lot.

Justin Fields is an 86 rated passer who threw a career high 16 TD last year. How much better fo you think he would do? Get this straight I don't want to win 9 instead of 8 or 10 instead of 9. And I certainly don't want to replace KP with in 86 rated passer that a **** team like The Bears who gave up a huge pick to get is moving on from. I don't want another Tomlin good enough season. I want to either sink or swim with Kenny. If they sink then get your guy in the '25 draft.

Justin Fields is an 86 rated passer who threw a career high 16 TD last year. How much better fo you think he would do? Get this straight I don't want to win 9 instead of 8 or 10 instead of 9. And I certainly don't want to replace KP with in 86 rated passer that a **** team like The Bears who gave up a huge pick to get is moving on from. I don't want another Tomlin good enough season. I want to either sink or swim with Kenny. If they sink then get your guy in the '25 draft.
  1. Bears are moving on because they have the option to draft someone with the potential of becoming Mahomes (and for cheaper), whereas Fields' comp is something like a Jalen Hurts. Hell, there is still chatter that they are looking to keep Fields and move back in the draft for more picks. This is a far cry from them simply giving up on a player.
  2. 86 Rating is solid relatively speaking. Fields has endured a much worse O-Line, offensive scheme, and weapons, yet somehow manages to outperform KP. Again answer me this question- How would KP have performed in a Bears uniform this year?
  3. Sink or swim? Our offense convincingly sunk this year yet we still won 10 games (defense and coaching). That being said, it is very unlikely that we are going to be drafting high enough to grab a top prospect (in a much worse draft year for QB's, mind you).
All I am saying is that you cannot go into next year with a bottom-3 QB and expect Tomlin and the Steelers to win more than 10 games. We have to do something to shake up that hole in the roster.

For all the people concerned with Fields' turnovers/sacks/etc.....

QB A : QB B: QB C:
104 games played 40 games played 92 games played
198 sacks 135 sacks 185 sacks
82 interceptions 30 interceptions 51 interceptions
37 fumbles 16 fumbles 38 fumbles
6 years played in the league 3 years played in the league 6 years in the league

QB A has played in the post season 5 of their 6 years in the league.
QB B has never played in a playoff game.
QB C has played in the post season 4 of their 6 years in the league

I post these stats, not as a measuring stick, but to illustrate sometimes it's the QB, and sometimes it's the TEAM around them.
It's not a one size fits all, or it's all this or all that.
Coaching staff, HC, OC, QB coach.
Line play. Weapons around them. Ground game. Defense. Special teams. EVERYTHING regarding the TEAM.

From the latest chatter, it seems the 1st round pick in return is a weed filled pipe dream from the Bears.
The latest is a 2nd or 3rd.
I can understand the hesitancy on the 2 maybe, but if Fields could be had for a 3rd?
That's TOO tempting to not throw a dart at.

QBA = Josh Allen
QBB = Justin Fields
QBC = Lamar Jackson

CLEARLY, Allen and Jackson have monumentally better teams around them then Fields.
But these kind of QBs are risk/reward with their big play capabilities.
Yeah, they're not old school pocket passers, but we don't have one of those either, nor are we getting one this draft.
The ceiling is highest with Fields, more so than with Tannenhill or Wilson.

Don’t you think the huge amount of turnovers directly attributed to fields makes that defense look a whole lot worse? And despite possibly less td’s less turnovers by the QB with Kenny playing for them would improve their defensive numbers. A lot.

Have you had the displeasure of watching a Bears games? Just watch. They are truly a bad team.

As a result, Fields had to play a ton of hero ball which lends itself to turnovers. He basically had to carry the offense/team himself every game.

Over the past 2 years, I cannot recall KP 'taking over' a game. Not once. And I am not talking about a drive here or there, because any backup can do this (as Dobbs proved).