• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Seriously... Math@!

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I read an article the other day pointing out how the U.S. could adopt a healthcare system rather like England's "Nanny" system that cares for every person in the country. Indeed, the article pointed out how much England pays for their universal healthcare and you may be shocked to find out it comes in just a bit lower than the U.S. pays JUST FOR Medicare and Medicaid! So, for the cost that WE pay just for 65+ and people with disabilities, we could cover the WHOLE DAMN COUNTRY!

Until... (Remember Until?)

We consider that the ******* population of England is 55 million people.

We have 47 Million people aged 65 and older. And that's just 14% of our total population. If we were to take the numbers quoted in the article, and apply them to the WHOLE country we'd be so far out of the realm of ******* fiscal reality we'd need Dr. Strange to figure out how to get us ******* back.

How do these ******** LIVE with themselves printing these kind of grotesquely false and misleading articles that make truly moronic people think "Geez, we COULD have universal healthcare and we'd maybe even SAVE money!"

Un ******* believable.

It's NOT EVEN ALGEBRA. It's ******* super simple math.

AAAAAAAARGH!

MATH, not METH...

I read an article the other day pointing out how the U.S. could adopt a healthcare system rather like England's "Nanny" system that cares for every person in the country. Indeed, the article pointed out how much England pays for their universal healthcare and you may be shocked to find out it comes in just a bit lower than the U.S. pays JUST FOR Medicare and Medicaid! So, for the cost that WE pay just for 65+ and people with disabilities, we could cover the WHOLE DAMN COUNTRY!

Until... (Remember Until?)

We consider that the ******* population of England is 55 million people.

We have 47 Million people aged 65 and older. And that's just 14% of our total population. If we were to take the numbers quoted in the article, and apply them to the WHOLE country we'd be so far out of the realm of ******* fiscal reality we'd need Dr. Strange to figure out how to get us ******* back.

How do these ******** LIVE with themselves printing these kind of grotesquely false and misleading articles that make truly moronic people think "Geez, we COULD have universal healthcare and we'd maybe even SAVE money!"

Un ******* believable.

It's NOT EVEN ALGEBRA. It's ******* super simple math.

AAAAAAAARGH!

Medicare patients are the most expensive to insure. It’s not at all unusual for the vast majority of a person’s lifetime healthcare expenditure to come in the final year or month of their life. (We spend a lot of money on losing causes).

In Ark's defense, there ain't no meth going into that body.

Medicare patients are the most expensive to insure. It’s not at all unusual for the vast majority of a person’s lifetime healthcare expenditure to come in the final year or month of their life. (We spend a lot of money on losing causes).

The idea that the United States could afford single-payer health insurance, financed by taxpayers, is the biggest steaming pile of lying bullshit lies ever told. The (D)ims would be more honest if they claimed to have magical powers from a Narnian monkey that gives them the power to heal all who seek their company, free of charge.

The idea that the United States could afford single-payer health insurance, financed by taxpayers, is the biggest steaming pile of lying bullshit lies ever told. The (D)ims would be more honest if they claimed to have magical powers from a Narnian monkey that gives them the power to heal all who seek their company, free of charge.

The amount we currently spend (over $11k/person) is by far the most in the developed world. Who can afford that?

The amount we currently spend (over $11k/person) is by far the most in the developed world. Who can afford that?

Okay, let's see if you can follow this analysis.

• The majority of spending is by private citizens and private health insurers.
  • Spending as a matter of choice is as different from taxpayer spending as can be imagined.
  • If the taxpayer is forced to pick up the tab, then as is true with every government program ever implemented - school loans, Rx medications, property damage (mandated car insurance), property damage (home owner's insurance) - the price goes up. Way up. EVERY. TIME.
  • Further, government funding makes demand explode.
  • Ridiculous limits by the government on amount paid to physician or clinic for such care makes supply decrease. Do you have any idea what the government now "allows" for a physical under Medicare?? $57 for a patient who has paid his or her co-pay. Yes, fifty-seven dollars and zero cents.
  • I know the following because my brother is a doctor, and my daughter is a doctor. Know what happens when government orders medical providers to accept as full payment less than what the ******* exam costs (rent for facility, wages to front staff, physician's assistant, etc.)? They opt of of providing such care.
  • When enough medical providers opt out and patients cannot get an appointment within a certain region, guess what happens?? The medical providers can charge "market rates." **** the phony limits imposed by a group of ***-monkeys in Washington.
  • The result is that far fewer medical providers are available, and everybody has insurance, so demand >>>>>>>>>>>>>> supply.
  • Increasing demand + decreasing supply creates shortages and waiting time, even for "electives" like heart surgery.
  • That is why England has such problems with wait times for clearly necessary surgical procedures.
  • England does not have to pay for medical care for about 15 million illegals, maybe more.
  • We would, at a cost in the trillions.
  • We don't have the ******* money to provide government-financed health care. WE DON'T HAVE THE ******* MONEY.
  • Know why the United States has had the best economy in the world the past several years? Because we don't siphon trillions out of the private sector for government-financed health care.
  • References to medical care in the UK or Norway or such **** are simply stupid.
  • Those countries count on the United States for a substantial percentage of new medical devices, because profit.
  • Those countries count on the United States to develop new medicines (that the Chinese steal) because profit.
  • Those countries don't have to fund medical care for 15 million illegals. We do.

Math question:

Q. Ark walks into a store, sees 12 shirts on a table, buys 4 of them. How many shirts are left?

A: Trick question - the answer is 12. Ark don't need no shirts.

Ark needs every shirt he owns stapled to his body

so, using your math, you spend $11k per year on Flog, $11k per year on Miz Flog, $11k per year on Baby Flog and $11k per year on Baby 2 Flog?

tenor.gif

That just never gets old for me. You might have even created a bit of a phenomenon Supe because I've seen this posted on Twitter when common sense folks are dealing with Liberal lunatics (I'm sure it's just rational-minded people thinking alike, but I'd rather think you started somethin').

Well, we have more people paying into the system than England does too.

[*]I know the following because my brother is a doctor, and my daughter is a doctor. Know what happens when government orders medical providers to accept as full payment less than what the ******* exam costs (rent for facility, wages to front staff, physician's assistant, etc.)? They opt of of providing such care.

Oh, YOU know this, huh?

Your brother and daughter should know about value-based compensation and that they could be incentivized for providing annual wellness visits to Medicare patients while also earning 2.5 times the wRVU credit and twice the payment that they get for a 99213.

Your brother may be too old too change his ways but if your daughter wants to maximize her earnings, she’ll embrace value-based reimbursement. BTW, it involves cost and utilization review (some might call it “rationing”).

Oh, YOU know this, huh?

Your brother and daughter should know about value-based compensation and that they could be incentivized for providing annual wellness visits to Medicare patients while also earning 2.5 times the wRVU credit and twice the payment that they get for a 99213.

Your brother may be too old too change his ways but if your daughter wants to maximize her earnings, she’ll embrace value-based reimbursement. BTW, it involves cost and utilization review (some might call it “rationing”).

So, being in Managed Care ( fancy word for the contracting between providers of medical services and insurance companies / government entities ) I can let you peak a bit behind the curtain.
Health insurance began simply as catastrophic coverage. Meaning, if you were involved in a major car accident, needed emergency life saving surgery, diagnosed with cancer, etc. than this would be the only time you used your health insurance.
Your routine doctors' office visits, screenings, sick visits, x-rays, labs, etc. were paid with straight cash homey. No need for insurance to get involved.
But then employers started ramping up the benefits packages they offered their employees by expanding coverage into routine services and regular doctors' office visit and the like.
This obviously costs more money for premiums.
It's a win all around. Employers can offer more benefits in a package to woo employees, medical providers of care get guaranteed payment from insurance companies, and patients pay copays and minimal out of pocket.
But then inflation sets in. Then patients take advantage of the system and go to the ER with a runny nose. Go to their family physician 25 times/month to make sure everything's still OK. Get lab work done because they saw a commercial.
Insurance works because they bring in more money in premiums than they pay out in claims/overhead.
Something else happens. Costs of healthcare also skyrocket because now everyone wants to sue doctors/hospitals because their 800lbs Mom choked on a whole live chicken and they were unable to save her. That they did not properly supervise their child who got their hand blown off using mom's gun and they were unable to save the hand.
Doctors and facilities charge SO much for their services because their medical malpractice insurance is RETARDED amounts. How retarded? Doctors pay roughly 60 - 75% of their income on JUST their malpractice insurance. This is NOT an exaggeration.
It's a vicious circle, but the main culprit is us patients being too dependent on convenience, being hypochondriacs, and looking for the big paycheck from legal proceedings.
The great part about our country is the ability to CHOOSE.
We CHOOSE to pay $10.00/bottle of water at DisneyWorld waiting in line because it's too hot.
We CHOOSE to pay a little each month just in case something happens to us so it's not overwhelming financially when it happens instead of saving our own money wisely.
We CHOOSE to be lazy and dependent on others to accommodate our habits/choices, with no sense of responsibility or self-awareness.

Healthcare costs are so outrageous because WE allow it.
I reject the notion of single payor healthcare because then we would really have zero say in either the cost or the care.
Now, while we don't have much say in the cost, we certainly do have a say in the care.

So, being in Managed Care ( fancy word for the contracting between providers of medical services and insurance companies / government entities ) I can let you peak a bit behind the curtain.
Health insurance began simply as catastrophic coverage. Meaning, if you were involved in a major car accident, needed emergency life saving surgery, diagnosed with cancer, etc. than this would be the only time you used your health insurance.
Your routine doctors' office visits, screenings, sick visits, x-rays, labs, etc. were paid with straight cash homey. No need for insurance to get involved.
But then employers started ramping up the benefits packages they offered their employees by expanding coverage into routine services and regular doctors' office visit and the like.
This obviously costs more money for premiums.
It's a win all around. Employers can offer more benefits in a package to woo employees, medical providers of care get guaranteed payment from insurance companies, and patients pay copays and minimal out of pocket.
But then inflation sets in. Then patients take advantage of the system and go to the ER with a runny nose. Go to their family physician 25 times/month to make sure everything's still OK. Get lab work done because they saw a commercial.
Insurance works because they bring in more money in premiums than they pay out in claims/overhead.
Something else happens. Costs of healthcare also skyrocket because now everyone wants to sue doctors/hospitals because their 800lbs Mom choked on a whole live chicken and they were unable to save her. That they did not properly supervise their child who got their hand blown off using mom's gun and they were unable to save the hand.
Doctors and facilities charge SO much for their services because their medical malpractice insurance is RETARDED amounts. How retarded? Doctors pay roughly 60 - 75% of their income on JUST their malpractice insurance. This is NOT an exaggeration.
It's a vicious circle, but the main culprit is us patients being too dependent on convenience, being hypochondriacs, and looking for the big paycheck from legal proceedings.
The great part about our country is the ability to CHOOSE.
We CHOOSE to pay $10.00/bottle of water at DisneyWorld waiting in line because it's too hot.
We CHOOSE to pay a little each month just in case something happens to us so it's not overwhelming financially when it happens instead of saving our own money wisely.
We CHOOSE to be lazy and dependent on others to accommodate our habits/choices, with no sense of responsibility or self-awareness.

Healthcare costs are so outrageous because WE allow it.
I reject the notion of single payor healthcare because then we would really have zero say in either the cost or the care.
Now, while we don't have much say in the cost, we certainly do have a say in the care.

Until I retired last October, I worked in a managed care clinic (pharmacy) owned by a major insurance company. I can attest everything you say is true, there were people we saw on a daily basis.

Oh, YOU know this, huh?

I do. And unlike you, they pay their bills dealing with this ****, and know exactly how it works.

And on a related point, what has government ever taken over or done in replacement for private enterprise that saved money?

Mail delivery? Nope.
Jails? Nope.
Security? Nope.
Medical insurance? Nope.
Food production? Nope.

Government is the most inefficient supplier in the nation for the very simple and compelling reason that it's not their money - the employees don't give a **** if the company (the United States in this instance) makes a profit or loses money. They don't risk unemployment for bad service. So they do a ****** job in providing goods and services when compared to market providers.

Not an exaggeration? It’s a retarded exaggeration. Unless a doc is incredibly unproductive, no way in hell are they paying 60-75%. That’d be $300k+ for most docs. Ob/Gyn pay the most and self-insured group practices pay $70k/doc.

Not an exaggeration? It’s a retarded exaggeration. Unless a doc is incredibly unproductive, no way in hell are they paying 60-75%. That’d be $300k+ for most docs. Ob/Gyn pay the most and self-insured group practices pay $70k/doc.

Yeah, crazy.
Not all docs are multi-millionaires who perform unnecessary cosmetic procedures on the Kardashians and Jersey Shore cast.
Most doctors make good money comparatively speaking, but your 300K per doc = 60-75% of Doctor salary is ignorant.
Unless you do contracting and credentialing for doctors, please spare me your google search rebuttals.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app