• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So here's what I don't understand about "White Privilige".

Im the son of a third generation irish mill worker who himself dropped out of high school to ultimately join the navy for a while... when the mills closed my dad spent his remaining years mostly as a janitor.
I had to drop out of college after a semester cause i just couldnt afford it and i needed to work more just to help them get by...
I make great money... more than any of my college educated friends with masters or other high end diplomas... that didnt happen because of any privilege or because of any favors... i had to work hard and smart and sacrifice a **** ton of stuff to get here...

i kind of get mad when my snobby liberal friends accuse my current state as white privilege.. i had nothing handed to me, not even opportunity.. i had to work ten times harder just to get noticed in a sea of faceless drones... i had to prove every time i was worthy because the biggest discrimination in this society is not having that rag they give you for sitting through blowhards giving lectures about nonsense...

/end rant...

I grew up poor. Single mom who divorced my abusive alcoholic DNA donor. we lived with my grandparents for a long time. Fished and hunted to supplement our food. grandparents gardened, grandfather worked, grandma took care of me, her 5 other kids still at home while my mom went to EMT school. Eventually, mom went to LPN school and we could afford to live away from grandparents.

Except for me, only one other person in my family, out to second cousins, went to college (several have gone to community college or a bit further since).

When I ****** up in college, white privilege didn't keep me from moving back to sweep floors in a rice mill until I could get my **** straight.

I'm not saying anything about whether they approach a car different or not is not justified under some circumstances. If I were a cop, I'd approach every car as if the guy is armed and ready to shoot, but that is just me.

I don't live in a very good area. My street and a street over are fine. Beyond that is quite a bit of crime. Anyone stopped in our area should be treated as if they are armed, IMO.

I'm thinking more of a well dressed guy (berm, not me...) with family in the car in a nice vehicle.

in any event, I was just pointing out that these scenarios have some "white privilege": associated with it and it is individualized not institutionalized, IMO, in most cases.

FWIW, my last interaction with a State Trooper involved me waiting on the side of the road for a ride to fix a flat. I had gun in the car. My hands NEVER left the steering wheel. Had kid hand him my permit and DL, told him gun was in the car and I wasn't going to move my hands until he said Ok.

I don't know man. My white privilege card did me no good when I was pulled out of my car in a cold driving rain in January 1998 along 41A in Clarksville, Tennessee. I was then strip searched in plain view of anyone that drove by because they were "looking for white boys with white supremacist gang tattoos," and I fit the description. Well,except for the lack of tattoos.

EDIT: I realize what happened to me is anecdotal, but it happened. To me, it was no different than driving while black. I am sick to death of being told I am racist simply because I am white, and I could never understand the struggle.

I grew up dirt poor, with a single mom, a brother and two sisters. I was in the Army 5 days after I turned 18 because my mom couldn't afford to send me to college, and I decided the GI Bill might help. I served 24 years and made something of myself. I now currently work for the Department of the Army as a civilian, because I worked hard the previous 24 years, served with distinction and got educated. Nothing was handed to me. I earned it.

Last edited:
I'm sort of the opposite of a lot of you, I'm highly educated but never made much money due mostly to poor career decisions. I don't blame anybody but myself and my parents a little bit because a few times I did what they told me to do.
Not saying racism doesn't still exist but white privilege to me is kind of dubious.
When I worked at Allegheny General Hospital years ago, which was not a great place for promoting existing people, an upgraded job opened in another area of my department that I was more than qualified for. I had a great record, perfect attendance, etc. They were basically told they had too many white male noses and had to hire someone else so they narrowed it down to a black guy and a white woman, both from other departments, ostensibly because they had seniority over me although we're talking a difference of less than a year for both. I filed a grievance based on the idea that I don't see other departments hiring me because I have seniority over their people. You know, if we're going to use seniority then let's use seniority but you people aren't being consistent. I lost my grievance but sort of got the last laugh because they hired the white woman who promptly got pregnant and went on maternity leave for several months so they were back to being short-handed.

White privilege simply put means that you aren't going to be prejudged based on your skin color. It doesn't mean that as a white person you get more than what you deserve .... it means some people are going to get less based on the fact that they aren't white. When you walk into a store, the manager isn't going to immediately think of you as a potential thief. A cop isn't going to immediately think that there is a better than average chance you are "riding dirty" as they will when they see a black guy driving buy. Women won't clutch their purses a little tighter when you walk into a room. It's that kind of ****. It's really not that hard to understand.

White privilege simply put means that you aren't going to be prejudged based on your skin color. It doesn't mean that as a white person you get more than what you deserve .... it means some people are going to get less based on the fact that they aren't white. When you walk into a store, the manager isn't going to immediately think of you as a potential thief. A cop isn't going to immediately think that there is a better than average chance you are "riding dirty" as they will when they see a black guy driving buy. Women won't clutch their purses a little tighter when you walk into a room. It's that kind of ****. It's really not that hard to understand.

I think getting singled out has more to do with the culture than a person's color. People's style of dress and the attitude they carry themselves with matters a lot. Trust me, the whitest guy in America could come strolling up to me and if he was covered in tats and wearing clothes like he was in an outlaw motorcycle gang, I'm gonna be very on edge. I wouldn't think twice of any race of person coming up to me that doesn't appear to be putting up an extra tough exterior and looking threatening. Sadly, that same guy could be the nicest dude in the world once you get to know him, but appearances count for a lot if you are seeing people for the first time. The ***** of it is, for people who live in tough and downtrodden areas, if you don't at least pretend to be a bad *** you would probably get eaten alive.

Last edited:
White privilege simply put means that you aren't going to be prejudged based on your skin color.

I actually disagree. The way that white privilege is being taught, whites are now judged purely based on their skin color as the "entitled race."

It doesn't mean that as a white person you get more than what you deserve ....

That's exactly what is being taught. An example from the feminazis' view of White Privilege: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/lessons-white-privilege-poc/

What is White Privilege? The reality that a White person’s whiteness has come – and continues to come – with a vast array of benefits and advantages not shared by many people of Color (POC).

It doesn’t mean that I, as a White person, don’t work hard (I do) or that I haven’t suffered (well, I have known struggle), but simply that I receive help, often unacknowledged assistance, because I am White.

it means some people are going to get less based on the fact that they aren't white.

Wrong, see above. It is being taught and printed and communicated that white privilege means you do get more because you are white.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Apparently it is a bit difficult for some to understand.

I've been followed around stores when I was younger. I was lower income and I attributed it to that. I've had a cop shout "stop or I'll shoot" at me as I was running, not from him. My mom was jailed for not paying for a ticket for running a stop sign. What's with all this talk of police oppressing people for holding them accountable.

I think get singles out has more to do with the culture than a person's color. People's style of dress and the attitude they carry themselves with matters a lot. Trust me, the whitest guy in America could come strolling up to me and if he was covered in tats and wearing clothes like he was in an outlaw motorcycle gang, I'm gonna be very on edge. I wouldn't think twice of any race of person coming up to me that doesn't appear to be putting up an extra tough exterior and looking threatening. Sadly, that same guy could be the nicest dude in the world once you get to know him, but appearances count for a lot if you are seeing people for the first time. The ***** of it is, for people who live in tough and downtrodden areas, if you don't at least pretend to be a bad *** you would probably get eaten alive.

When I'm suturing an autopsied body back together I can pretty much tell who died from a drug overdose before the coroner's report comes back. Lots of cheap tattoos and bad teeth is kind of a giveaway. Since July I've done way too many of them.

I've been followed around stores when I was younger. I was lower income and I attributed it to that. I've had a cop shout "stop or I'll shoot" at me as I was running, not from him. My mom was jailed for not paying for a ticket for running a stop sign. What's with all this talk of police oppressing people for holding them accountable.

Racism does still exist. More so through stereotype. Personally I never experienced it. And if so, I probably was not aware. In lower income, high crime area's I believe Cops are more likely to use excessive force. I just fail to see how being white shields you from being stereotyped by law enforcement. It is more based on culture/dress than the color of someone's skin imo

I think get singles out has more to do with the culture than a person's color. People's style of dress and the attitude they carry themselves with matters a lot. Trust me, the whitest guy in America could come strolling up to me and if he was covered in tats and wearing clothes like he was in an outlaw motorcycle gang, I'm gonna be very on edge. I wouldn't think twice of any race of person coming up to me that doesn't appear to be putting up an extra tough exterior and looking threatening. Sadly, that same guy could be the nicest dude in the world once you get to know him, but appearances count for a lot if you are seeing people for the first time. The ***** of it is, for people who live in tough and downtrodden areas, if you don't at least pretend to be a bad *** you would probably get eaten alive.

Agreed. As for living in a sketchy area. I kinda do here. A few sub divisions down is gang infested. Typical youth skater type gangs as well. All my neighbors in our street are plenty nice. Aside from our neighbor next door. And idk if any of you read a story on the news the other day a out Robin Williams and Tupac getting busted for 114lbs of weed? But that very Tupac is my neighbor lol. Nice kid, was a cheerleader for UNM before this incident

Jesus I wish you guys wouldn't have quoted me before I had a chance to proofread my post. The first sentence is pretty damn funny. Oh well at least I can edit the original.

Last edited:
I think getting singled out has more to do with the culture than a person's color. People's style of dress and the attitude they carry themselves with matters a lot. Trust me, the whitest guy in America could come strolling up to me and if he was covered in tats and wearing clothes like he was in an outlaw motorcycle gang, I'm gonna be very on edge. I wouldn't think twice of any race of person coming up to me that doesn't appear to be putting up an extra tough exterior and looking threatening.

Exactly. If you have your pants hanging half way down your *** or if you can't manage to get out of your pajamas to go to the grocery store at 4 in the afternoon or you need public assistance but can suck on cigarettes and get some new ink every month, then I can conclude that you have no, pride or respect for yourself and doubtfully for anyone else. These are the characteristics I notice, not race. There are plenty of unmotivated white people where I come from.

So now not being discriminated against is some sort of privilege that must be addressed. This goes along the same lines as when "disrespect" somehow became a verb. Now all of a sudden when someone didn't get the respect they wanted, it wasn't because they didn't earn it, it was because someone else disrespected them.

This language reflects a general aversion to taking individual responsibility, and actually institutionalizes the idea that the first thing to do when you are not getting what you want is find someone to blame.

So now not being discriminated against is some sort of privilege that must be addressed. This goes along the same lines as when "disrespect" somehow became a verb. Now all of a sudden when someone didn't get the respect they wanted, it wasn't because they didn't earn it, it was because someone else disrespected them.

This language reflects a general aversion to taking individual responsibility, and actually institutionalizes the idea that the first thing to do when you are not getting what you want is find someone to blame.

It's like the teenagers who get caught lying about something 9 straight times and then the 10th time when nobody believes them, they are reeeeaaallllly offended. And it's not because they told 9 lies previously that they are not believed.....it's because the other person is just an ******* or just doesn't like them. They don't see any connection between their past behavior and how people perceive them. They deserve respect regardless of whether they have earned any.

How about this: maybe stop committing 86.4% of the crimes and then you'll be given the benefit of the doubt. Oh, and this is a big one: stop shooting cops! Then they'll stop approaching with their hand on their gun. Black people bring it on themselves with their actions.

How about this: maybe stop committing 86.4% of the crimes and then you'll be given the benefit of the doubt. Oh, and this is a big one: stop shooting cops! Then they'll stop approaching with their hand on their gun. Black people bring it on themselves with their actions.

I was going to suggest that black people might have less problems if they acted like white people, but that would be racist.

WOW! You people missed it

This just in...

This is a liberal country and Hillary will win the election because college-educated white people are so much smarter than uneducated deplorable white people

Last edited:
WOW! You people missed it

This just in...

This is a liberal country and Hillary will win the election because college-educated white people are so much smarter than uneducated deplorable white people

They are so superior with their liberal arts degrees. Pfft damn libs

This election seemed more about "minority privilege". Whites blaming their failure in life on the perceived advantages
that minorities receive. Or in other words "white whining".

This election seemed more about "minority privilege". Whites blaming their failure in life on the perceived advantages
that minorities receive. Or in other words "white whining".

I'm sure not a failure. You don't have a clue. I'm not OK with whites having to work harder to succeed while paying extra for minorities to **** off and complain about their lot in life.

While it happens, my point is that these situations are, IMO, may happen a lot but are not the norm, at least, just based upon skin color. I did tell the Ms. to hide all the loot before Bermuda came over...j/k Did that before Supe and DoucheBagS came over, too, though. NOT j/k....

When I drive in my neighborhood, if I had a gun, I would have it more accessible than when I am driving in other parts of the city. it is because crime is more rampant in this area than in other areas though and has nothing at all to do with the race of the people in the area.

I did tell the Ms. to hide all the loot before Bermuda came over...j/k Did that before Supe and DoucheBagS came over, too, though. NOT j/k....

When the wife, kids and I met you and Douche in Tampa, that night my wallet went missing. Had it when we left the wings joint. Douche was showing me his hot ride and all in the parking lot. On the way back to Orlando I realized my wallet was missing.

Wish you'd have told me this about him prior.

Privilege isn't a "color".

We've turned something good, which is the concept of parents sacrificing for the well being of their children, into something we should be ashamed of giving to our kids, lest we make them into intolerant racists...

You want to talk about privilege? Go to a bah mitzvah some time and see the type of wealth distribution Jewish families believe in to support and "pass it down" from one generation to the next. That is real privilege. And that privilege is earned through culture, belief system and ethics. And it isn't "given" to you by some government because they say so.

90% of black parents, right now, could sacrifice more to make their children's lives better. They could give up cable TV or their fancy cell phone plan (and instead invest in a cheap home computer with internet access). They could stay together as couples.

They could do it. But they don't. And they haven't since the 1960's "war of poverty" told them saving and doing it themselves was for stupid people and that government handouts would always be there to perpetuate a middle-lower class lifestyle they seem so satisfied to live in as long as they have cable, food on the table, their smokes and an XBOX for the kids to waste their brain away on.

It's all about the standards you expect for yourself and your family and your kids. And what you are prepared to do to meet those goals.

You want to talk about privilege? Go to a bah mitzvah some time and see the type of wealth distribution Jewish families believe in to support and "pass it down" from one generation to the next. That is real privilege. And that privilege is earned through culture, belief system and ethics. And it isn't "given" to you by some government because they say so.

^^^THIS

I live in a VERY highly Jewish section of the country. My oldest son's best friend is Jewish. Many of his friends are Jewish. As are my younger sons. Together they have been to over 30 bar and bat mitzvahs. I have had the privilege (really) of working for two Israeli companies.

It is a culture, a belief system, and their ethics indeed. Probably from their past history. They learned through genocide to protect one another. And they do fervently. And they redistribute wealth among themselves.

At these bar and bat mitzvahs, these 13 year olds clear 10, 20, 50 and even 100,000 dollars in gifts from family members and friends that become their trust funds and/or college educations. They perpetuate success by these practices.

Absolutely nothing at all wrong with it in the least. It's good practice. Many a culture could learn from theirs. It is indeed privilege, but it is earned, practiced and repeated to the benefit of their own. Others should follow suit instead of crying for hand outs and for big daddy government to redistribute wealth among all cultures.

^^^THIS

I live in a VERY highly Jewish section of the country. My oldest son's best friend is Jewish. Many of his friends are Jewish. As are my younger sons. Together they have been to over 30 bar and bat mitzvahs. I have had the privilege (really) of working for two Israeli companies.

It is a culture, a belief system, and their ethics indeed. Probably from their past history. They learned through genocide to protect one another. And they do fervently. And they redistribute wealth among themselves.

At these bar and bat mitzvahs, these 13 year olds clear 10, 20, 50 and even 100,000 dollars in gifts from family members and friends that become their trust funds and/or college educations. They perpetuate success by these practices.

Absolutely nothing at all wrong with it in the least. It's good practice. Many a culture could learn from theirs. It is indeed privilege, but it is earned, practiced and repeated to the benefit of their own. Others should follow suit instead of crying for hand outs and for big daddy government to redistribute wealth among all cultures.

I'm not Jewish and I haven't lived/worked around many but you can't overlook their industry, family culture and strong monetary ties. I did grow up around Mormons in AZ and they as a whole have a lot of the same qualities. Back to that survival instinct I guess.