• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So I finally got around to seeing Bohemian Rhapsody....

I largely agree with this. I don't hate the songs but they aren't as great as a lot of people make them out to be. Also not sure where the idea that very long songs weren't a part of the 1970... There were tons of 6 minute songs in the 70s. BR maybe longer than 6 minutes but long songs happened a lot in the 70s. Hell Pink Floyd had songs that didn't start for almost 6 minutes. I remember Gordon Lightfoot's "Edmund Fitzgerald" was over 6 minutes. Anyway I don't get it.

Also I think Queen is really a front for Mercury. People love "Queen"? No, they love Mercury because he had AIDS and died too young. Which happens a lot to rock and roll people. Then people get nostalgic thinking they were more than what they were at the time. If Mercury were a straight guy that died of a cocaine overdose none of this would be happening. Which is why they came out with an Elton John move not long ago. The problem is that he is still alive and didn't die tragically because he was busting guys in the seat.

Queen is beloved because a lot of people grew up with Queen's music. Maybe some are tired of it because it's been over-saturated in sporting events and now with the movie. Their music is very recognizable and seems like it's always been around. I remember going to skating rinks at a very young age and "Another One Bites the Dust" would come on, the place freaked out and the rink filled with skaters.

Freddie is considered one of the greatest frontmen ever and this was before BR. His voice, stage presence and charisma is second to none. If you asked me 20 years ago who is the greatest singer/frontman, Freddie would have been my answer back then, too. That has never changed and I have always been a casual fan. I like a lot of songs, think some are weak, but when he shined, he was magnificant. I think a lot of people are rediscovering Queen again and it's everywhere. Is it Queen overload right now? Probably, but it doesn't take back what they accomplished and means to fans today. People love KISS, I don't see the attraction to them. They have good songs, some are really bad, but it's part of people's youth they hold onto. I get it. Queen is the new/old hotness. Dieing of AIDS or not, young or not, I'd take Freddie over Plant, Halford, Dio, Steve Perry(maybe) and 99.9% of the great singers that passed through.

I largely agree with this. I don't hate the songs but they aren't as great as a lot of people make them out to be. Also not sure where the idea that very long songs weren't a part of the 1970... There were tons of 6 minute songs in the 70s. BR maybe longer than 6 minutes but long songs happened a lot in the 70s. Hell Pink Floyd had songs that didn't start for almost 6 minutes. I remember Gordon Lightfoot's "Edmund Fitzgerald" was over 6 minutes. Anyway I don't get it.

Also I think Queen is really a front for Mercury. People love "Queen"? No, they love Mercury because he had AIDS and died too young. Which happens a lot to rock and roll people. Then people get nostalgic thinking they were more than what they were at the time. If Mercury were a straight guy that died of a cocaine overdose none of this would be happening. Which is why they came out with an Elton John move not long ago. The problem is that he is still alive and didn't die tragically because he was busting guys in the seat.

Nope sorry. Brian May is a kick *** guitar player. Queen had possibly the greatest backing vocals in rock history, especially the drummer. Did you ever hear those live concerts? They brought it. Freddy was obviously one of the greatest live performers in rock. Ever. Many of their songs are rock anthems. All around phenomenal band and one of my favorite bands ever stretching back to when I was in middle school,

I don’t think Queen’s popularity has anything to do with politics. They just had a bunch of songs people love. I’d bet few even knew Mercury was gay for most of his career. He insisted on keeping his AIDS private specifically because he didn’t want to be used as a gay rights icon.

Mercury was was one of the first real performers, not just a guy who held the Mic and sang. He was probably the first to involve the crowd in the show.

I think you also have to respect Queen for always trying to do something different and creative.

WTF? Did not know this.
Holy ****... Did Coach just say he "didn't" know something?

RUN! Get to your shelters! Pray! Prepare for the end is nigh!

I don’t think Queen’s popularity has anything to do with politics. They just had a bunch of songs people love. I’d bet few even knew Mercury was gay for most of his career. He insisted on keeping his AIDS private specifically because he didn’t want to be used as a gay rights icon.

Mercury was was one of the first real performers, not just a guy who held the Mic and sang. He was probably the first to involve the crowd in the show.

I think you also have to respect Queen for always trying to do something different and creative.
Pretty sure everyone knew. Nobody cared. Freddie, Elton, Bowie, remember when Rod Stewart blew a soccer team? Lots of big hair and weird makeup back then. Nobody cared. It's only now that everyone has to not only not care but agree that being gay is a great thing that has to be celebrated that it's a thing again.

With all the money that has been raised, I wonder why Africa isn't covered with zero-carbon solar panels that run every city and provide clean drinkable water within reach of every village. Think of what all that solar energy would do to their farming abilities? Irrigation, electric powered farm equipment....

Queen was good-not-great. I liked Radio Gaga. Some dumb lyrics and the "gaga" chant is kinda silly, but very energetic song and the refrain, "Don't become some background noise, some backdrop for those girls and boys" is quite good.

As to 6-minute songs - 100% agree. Uhhh, Doors and "Light My Fire"?

Nope sorry. Brian May is a kick *** guitar player. Queen had possibly the greatest backing vocals in rock history, especially the drummer. Did you ever hear those live concerts? They brought it. Freddy was obviously one of the greatest live performers in rock. Ever. Many of their songs are rock anthems. All around phenomenal band and one of my favorite bands ever stretching back to when I was in middle school,

I remember Queen back in the 70s when it was new. I've seen their concerts and I know some of their hard core fans. But the average Joe knows 3 (maybe) of their songs and the average person never heard of May. Freddy was a great singer. Not Steve Perry great IMHO but a great singer. Without Wayne and Garth there would be no movie. BR is a good song. But it isn't in my top 50 songs. It isn't even the best Queen song. It has opera (which I hate) and it's like walking through a swamp because it has so many changes. Again I know most people love Queen.

I think people are being overly nostalgic today, foisted by Mercury's death and a media that won't let them fade away.

A few of the songs were catchy, but never caused me to rush out and see them or buy any of their records when they were released for the first time.

This coming from someone that has 300+ pieces of vinyl that the wife is always nagging me to get rid of.

I think people are being overly nostalgic today, foisted by Mercury's death and a media that won't let them fade away.

A few of the songs were catchy, but never caused me to rush out and see them or buy any of their records when they were released for the first time.

This coming from someone that has 300+ pieces of vinyl that the wife is always nagging me to get rid of.
Wrong. Awesome band. Nothing close today. Giants in their time. I was there.

Sell those vinyls, they're worth thousands now.

I remember Queen back in the 70s when it was new. I've seen their concerts and I know some of their hard core fans. But the average Joe knows 3 (maybe) of their songs and the average person never heard of May. Freddy was a great singer. Not Steve Perry great IMHO but a great singer. Without Wayne and Garth there would be no movie. BR is a good song. But it isn't in my top 50 songs. It isn't even the best Queen song. It has opera (which I hate) and it's like walking through a swamp because it has so many changes. Again I know most people love Queen.

Man...I really hate Perry's voice. He sounds like a nattering old woman to me, lol...different strokes.

"Steve Perry great"? lol wow

Perry was a great singer and a great song writer. He was a better singer than Mercury.

uh, no, he wasn't. he was alright, but absolutely not better than freddy mercury. and i'm not even that big of a queen fan, personally.

Perry was a great singer and a great song writer. He was a better singer than Mercury.

While Perry was a great singer in his own right, and I usually say this is subjective, he was not better than Freddie Mercury. That I can almost guarantee would be universally agreed-upon.

While Perry was a great singer in his own right, and I usually say this is subjective, he was not better than Freddie Mercury. That I can almost guarantee would be universally agreed-upon.

It's always subjective. There is no standard for who is a better singer. So a universal agreed upon subjective vote is just that... subjective. Again bias would play into it as well. Just like when certain racial groups vote for people that look like them. I liked Queen but they are severally over hyped and Mercury's vocals are over rated IMHO.

I was never particularly a Queen fan, I didn't dislike them they just weren't my taste, but I thought the movie was pretty good.

KIss should be in the R&R Hall of Fame. Because they blew **** up.

Rocking 1000 has a new video.

Rocking 1000 has a new video.

Given Tape's recent post that everybody is moping around on the couch texting each other about how depressed they are (I sure as hell don't doubt it), that was pretty cool. People actually interacting with each other!