• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So I finally got around to seeing Bohemian Rhapsody....

I saw the movie last night. It was pretty good.

Just my $0.02, I ******* despise Journey.

KISS is already in the RRHOF, as they should be.

I think Perry had a great voice but the Journey songs were annoying.

IMHO, one's perception of who is or who ain't the best singer, guitarist, drummer, etc, etc, etc is at least partially driven by associated memories. This discussion bears that out.

While I have good memories associated with mostly British groups of the 60s and early 70s, I was abducted by jazz/rock fusion in the early 70s - Billy Cobham, Tommy Bolin, Jan Hammer, etc. That may have descended from Zappa who himself was a great musician and surrounded himself with same. As life progressed, I found myself drawn into dark, smoky little Jazz clubs. In the 70s there was a great little hole in the wall on Union Street, SF called 'Alexanders' - baby grand, fiddle bass and drums. Those guys were superior. Great memories.

Been to many of the 'big' acts on both coasts. Meh. Prefer the more esoteric acts in smaller venues - Jean Luc Ponty, Robert Palmer, King Crimson at the Felt Forum. Good times.

Journey has grown on me a little bit as I've gotten older. I don't like all their songs and they were pretty cheesy at times, but I will say that Steve Perry was a pretty damn good singer in the day. I've always loved KISS since I was a kid and I will always have a soft spot for the band. However I can fully admit that KISS is not the greatest band ever in a technical sense as far as groundbreaking musicianship. They are more about the complete package. The show, the makeup, etc.

Let's face it, musically they were much better in the no makeup years with Bruce Kulick and Eric Carr in the band as opposed to Frehley and Criss. But yeah the package as a whole was so good in the early years and I loved that original lineup. Many of their songs over the years are hit and miss for me, but I appreciate the band. I saw them in '96 during the original lineup reunion. Greatest concert I've ever seen bar none. There isn't even a close 2nd. I thought the top was going to blow off the arena at times from all the explosions and **** flying into the ceiling.

There are plenty of huge, historic bands that people fawn over that I think are just ok. Music is so subjective, which is the beauty of it.

Last edited:
Journey are *********. When Van Halen first toured they opened for Journey. The crowds were louder for VH and Journey treated them like **** for it. VH trashed a hotel and blamed it on Journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app