• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers brass impressed with Malik Willis

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers were all hands on deck when it came the Senior Bowl as Art Rooney II, Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert and Matt Canada were among those in attendance. Reports have surfaced that the Steelers were very intrigued by Liberty quarterback Malik Willis after his impressive showing, with several social media sources noting the Steelers’ interest and that he is one of three quarterbacks the Steelers met with.

The buzz around here in Mobile is that the Steelers’ love for Malik Willis is a badly kept secret

— Nick Farabaugh (@FarabaughFB) February 3, 2022

Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin in the building. He’s definitely been eying QB Malik Willis pic.twitter.com/Eatm4RkmLs

— Chris Mallee (@mallee_chris_24) February 2, 2022

Kenny Pickett has been good …

But after Tuesday's performance in the rain, Malik Willis has been the most impressive QB overall through 2 Senior Bowl practices

So what does that mean?https://t.co/1WHq90dUgn

— Eric Edholm (@Eric_Edholm) February 3, 2022

The Steelers have certainly started doing their due diligence about finding the next franchise passer with the retirement of Ben Roethlisberger and from experience know that coming from a small school like Liberty is not going to be a red flag.

What do you think of Malik Willis potentially being the next Steelers’ quarterback? Leave a comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

MT needs to have a better poker face when he has a hard-on for a player we knew we were getting Timmons even if Revis fell unless the Rooneys would have overruled.
Willis has all the attributes of elusiveness in the pocket to escape the blitz a big arm. The ability to move the chains with his legs an almost a must in this era (Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Jackson, Hurts)
Lets not forget Corrall is a similar QB as Desmond. Regardless of the way I see from Pickett- Willis-Corrall-Ridder-Howell-Strong none are ready to start from day one, only I see Pickett has the intangibles that he would put up a strong fight in camp but be a QB ready by say Mid October if you have a vet like Mariota or Foles, If you have Jimmy G I have him redshirt the year

So, are they playing this so he jumps up and their guy falls? Maybe they do like him, but see someone else they rather have or like F83 said, HCMT sucks at poker.

According to the practice reports at the Depot, Willis has shined and Pickett has been steady, Howell has had his moments but struggles with accuracy at times - Sullivan and Colbert spent a lot of time on the sideline dissecting his lower body mechanics while he was practicing yesterday. Riddler has been all over the place. Strong has had his moments too, but has had accuracy issues and has been floating his deep balls Zappe appears more slender/slight than his measurables and doesn't have the same velocity as others.

Some will naturally look better than the others on any given day....

That doesn't make up for the fact that none of these guys are either worth trading down for or selecting at 20 IMHO...

Howell seems like a Baker 2.0. When I watched him, he threw one nice ball and then 2 or 3 ducks. I didn't see the hype. I wanted to like Ridder, but he didn't impress at all on the big stage. He looked lost. Never heard of Willis until recently. Will have to watch some tape.

Willis had some INT troubles that were concerning (during the season). So far I am not sure anyone has separated themselves from the pack. Ridder looks the least pro ready. Looking forward to the game Sunday. I think the two they have looked at Willis and Howell have more of a chance to be there at 20. Not that I think we should go that route.
Howell seems like a Baker 2.0. When I watched him, he threw one nice ball and then 2 or 3 ducks. I didn't see the hype. I wanted to like Ridder, but he didn't impress at all on the big stage. He looked lost. Never heard of Willis until recently. Will have to watch some tape.

We are starting to get a lot of buzz around QBs and it feels like this is the direction they could very well go. I'm not surprised at all if they want Willis and it's been noted how much time they've spent scouting Howell.

We are starting to get a lot of buzz around QBs and it feels like this is the direction they could very well go. I'm not surprised at all if they want Willis and it's been noted how much time they've spent scouting Howell.
I for one hope not. If Willis is available in round 3-4 then I could see it.
The only 1st round QB is Kenny, and if, if he falls to 20 I would only be semi-pissed with the pick.
Howell = Bubby, enough said.

Willis made some absolutely horrid decisions throwing the football. Terrific athlete but not in the first round. Rebuild the OL. Penning (who might be gone) or Zion Johnson G from Boston College (who might be gone) or Tyler Lindebaum (who will be gone). **** it, I guess we're drafting a QB.

so I am terrified he is the Troy Edwards of the qbs in this draft. Occasionally a QB smaller than 6'1 has some success in the nfl, but a few inches taller really does make a difference in sightlines downfield...

but the real red flags are he is scouted to be very slow in making reads and trusting his arm to throw into coverage a lot.... that usually means at best a coulple years of bad picks as he learns that he cant always challenge nfl cbs

the other thing is he has the same red flags as Pickett .... a little over a half inch bigger hands, bailing on the pocket way too much....

Im terrified the kid is going to be all arm and no real QB..... like ive said before... this draft is loaded with guys who are basically Baker Mayfield clones...

I definitely dont trust this staff to develop a QB that isnt out of the box ready...

If Tomlin is enthralled with his running ability and glosses over all the potential pro passing problems... and we draft him and he busts, Everyone tied to drafting him should be shown the door too...

so I am terrified he is the Troy Edwards of the qbs in this draft. Occasionally a QB smaller than 6'1 has some success in the nfl, but a few inches taller really does make a difference in sightlines downfield...

but the real red flags are (1) he is scouted to be very slow in making reads and trusting his arm to throw into coverage a lot.... that usually means at best a coulple years of bad picks as he learns that he cant always challenge nfl cbs

the other thing is he has the same red flags as Pickett ....(2) a little over a half inch bigger hands, (3) bailing on the pocket way too much....

Im terrified the kid is going to be all arm and no real QB..... like ive said before... this draft is loaded with guys who are basically Baker Mayfield clones...

I definitely dont trust this staff to develop a QB that isnt out of the box ready...

(4) If Tomlin is enthralled with his running ability and glosses over all the potential pro passing problems... and we draft him and he busts, Everyone tied to drafting him should be shown the door too...
Nowhere near enamored with this year's QB crop. And, not wanting them to draft one this year. However, there are some things that somewhat mitigate some of the issues you point out.

1. Read on one of the scouting sites that Willis' slowness in making reads and trusting his arm to try to fit into tight windows had a lot to do with the quality of WR he was working with at Liberty. i.e. No separation from his receivers meant that he had to hold onto the ball longer and try to fight it into tighter windows. Still a habit he will have to break in the NFL.
2. Pickett's hands were measured by scouts last spring as being 8 1/4 inches long. The (agreed upon?) minimum desired length is 9 inches long. Willis' hands were measured at the Sr. Bowl at 9 1/2 inches long. A full inch and a quarter bigger than Pickett's and a half inch over the minimum threshold. Also a quarter inch bigger than Patrick Mahomes' hands.
3. I wonder how much slow WRs who fail to gain separation might play into a QB being more willing to bail on the pocket.
4. GM Colbert, Owner Art ll and QB Coach Sullivan are all at the Sr. Bowl with Tomlin. One would assume that it wouldn't just be Tomlin saying get me this or that QB and glossing over any potential problems.

Again, I hope they fix the OL and WR positions before drafting a QB. So, this is in no way a "Let's get Willis" response.

Thing is this team really isn't ready for a rookie. Nevermind they take a while to develop the Oline would get one killed. As if you are drafting a QB in 1 or 2 you aren't giving the Oline what it needs. Or the Dline as both need bodies and talent overhauls.

Thing is this team really isn't ready for a rookie. Nevermind they take a while to develop the Oline would get one killed. As if you are drafting a QB in 1 or 2 you aren't giving the Oline what it needs. Or the Dline as both need bodies and talent overhauls.
If you think a guy in the draft is a potential franchise QB then your team is always ready. Ben overcame a terrible offensive line to win a Super Bowl. Joe Burrow has an awful offensive line and they're in it. The Chiefs had a bad OL two years ago and made the Super Bowl. You take a potential franchise QB when you have the chance. I'm not saying it from my personal opinion of these QBs, but from the team POV.

He's probably my fave QB of the bunch too.

I admittedly don't know squat about these QBs, but how is he under pressure? Because he's going to see a ****-ton of it for a good while.

If you think a guy in the draft is a potential franchise QB then your team is always ready. Ben overcame a terrible offensive line to win a Super Bowl. Joe Burrow has an awful offensive line and they're in it. The Chiefs had a bad OL two years ago and made the Super Bowl. You take a potential franchise QB when you have the chance. I'm not saying it from my personal opinion of these QBs, but from the team POV.
Ben was unique talent that could overcome a terrible offensive line, but as I’ve said countless times—the 2008 Steelers were the lowest ranked offense to win a Super Bowl (points wise) and statistically worse than 2000 Ravens.

Ben as rookie walked into an OL with 3 first round picks and a 2nd on it. Nothing like now

I get that if the QB value is there and it helps if the QB you are picking can pass and run both well too. I am always for BPA. In this draft I don't see that at QB. Then those QBs you mentioned went what 6'3" , 6'4", and 6'5"? (Not in order of mentioned) A complete overall picture... You are right though if a franchise is there you take him.

I admittedly don't know squat about these QBs, but how is he under pressure? Because he's going to see a ****-ton of it for a good while.
lmao...yeah, he's a great athlete and can run like a gazelle. I think he's a project though. Not a #20 pick.

Nowhere near enamored with this year's QB crop. And, not wanting them to draft one this year. However, there are some things that somewhat mitigate some of the issues you point out.

1. Read on one of the scouting sites that Willis' slowness in making reads and trusting his arm to try to fit into tight windows had a lot to do with the quality of WR he was working with at Liberty. i.e. No separation from his receivers meant that he had to hold onto the ball longer and try to fight it into tighter windows. Still a habit he will have to break in the NFL.
2. Pickett's hands were measured by scouts last spring as being 8 1/4 inches long. The (agreed upon?) minimum desired length is 9 inches long. Willis' hands were measured at the Sr. Bowl at 9 1/2 inches long. A full inch and a quarter bigger than Pickett's and a half inch over the minimum threshold. Also a quarter inch bigger than Patrick Mahomes' hands.
3. I wonder how much slow WRs who fail to gain separation might play into a QB being more willing to bail on the pocket.
4. GM Colbert, Owner Art ll and QB Coach Sullivan are all at the Sr. Bowl with Tomlin. One would assume that it wouldn't just be Tomlin saying get me this or that QB and glossing over any potential problems.

Again, I hope they fix the OL and WR positions before drafting a QB. So, this is in no way a "Let's get Willis" response.
Good thing all the Steeler receivers excel at separation.