• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Sparked the Steelers’ Interest in Malik Willis?

A strong arm and running... Tomlin gets distracted by shinny things. He can't see his major flaws, Tomlin will waste years trying to justify over drafting him.

The point was they had a first round grade on Rudolph. They obviously have a first round grade on Willis but hopefully they pass on him for n the first like they did with Rudolph. I would never spend a first on a project. I want my first round pick contributing the first year.
Ben was viewed as a projecet. The only reason he contributed his first year was because both Maddox and Batch were injured.
Not saying Willis will be anything like Ben. But, Ben proves the flaw in your argument and highlights just how inexact of a science draft evaluation is.

Ben was viewed as a projecet. The only reason he contributed his first year was because both Maddox and Batch were injured.
Not saying Willis will be anything like Ben. But, Ben proves the flaw in your argument and highlights just how inexact of a science draft evaluation is.
I don’t think Willis is anywhere near where Ben was when he was drafted. I never thought Ben was a project, hell he took his team as far as the AFCC his rookie year. Won what, 14 straight games, rookie of the year.

I don’t think Willis is anywhere near where Ben was when he was drafted. I never thought Ben was a project, hell he took his team as far as the AFCC his rookie year. Won what, 14 straight games, rookie of the year.
The point wasn't what Ben accomplished his rookie year. Nor did I say that Willis was near what Ben was (in fact, I said: "Not saying Willis will be anything like Ben").
The point was that no matter what anyone else thought, the Steelers viewed him as a project. Otherwise, he wouldn't have started the year behind Maddox AND Batch on the depth chart and needed both to be injured in order to get on the field. Or maybe he would have eventually and Cowher just made a mistake in not starting him to begin the season.

I think they believed that Ben, coming from the MAC, was a bit raw (AKA a project) and needed time to get up to speed with the NFL game. But, that's just my opinion.
Kinda like we all have opinions on ALL of this year's QB. Mine is that I don't want any of them at 1-20. Not a one.

The point wasn't what Ben accomplished his rookie year. Nor did I say that Willis was near what Ben was (in fact, I said: "Not saying Willis will be anything like Ben").
The point was that no matter what anyone else thought, the Steelers viewed him as a project. Otherwise, he wouldn't have started the year behind Maddox AND Batch on the depth chart and needed both to be injured in order to get on the field. Or maybe he would have eventually and Cowher just made a mistake in not starting him to begin the season.

I think they believed that Ben, coming from the MAC, was a bit raw (AKA a project) and needed time to get up to speed with the NFL game. But, that's just my opinion.
Kinda like we all have opinions on ALL of this year's QB. Mine is that I don't want any of them at 1-20. Not a one.
He started the year behind Maddox because Maddox was the incumbent and hadn’t done anything to lose his job. I’ve never believed that Cowher was truely in Ben’s camp and actually wanted an OL Andrews but got over ruled by the Rooney’s.
Don’t know if they viewed him as a project but think they had their QB for that season in Maddox. Most likely wanted Ben to carry clipboard and learn that first year but injury to Maddox dealt different cards and as fate would have it, a legend was born
Willis may turn out to be spectacular or could turn out to be a huge bust, but I’m not in his camp and think that Trubisky if given a fair chance will do very good things here.

He started the year behind Maddox because Maddox was the incumbent and hadn’t done anything to lose his job. I’ve never believed that Cowher was truely in Ben’s camp and actually wanted an OL Andrews but got over ruled by the Rooney’s.
Don’t know if they viewed him as a project but think they had their QB for that season in Maddox. Most likely wanted Ben to carry clipboard and learn that first year but injury to Maddox dealt different cards and as fate would have it, a legend was born
Willis may turn out to be spectacular or could turn out to be a huge bust, but I’m not in his camp and think that Trubisky if given a fair chance will do very good things here.
I respect your willingness to share your opinion. We have Trubisky, Rudolph and Haskins. So, as fans, we'll initially have to get behind whichever QB emerges as QB1. I think that will be Trubisky. I'm not willing to anoint him (or any of the other QBs currently on the roster) until they prove it. I'll be rooting for that to happen.

As you say, Willis could be spectacular or a bust. That's how the draft operates. Pickett, Corral, Howell, Strong ... any of them could bust. Rarely do you get a "sure thing" at the QB position. Again, I'm not advocating that they pick Willis or any of the QBs that may be available this year. I'd rather they go Davis, or one of the top WRs/CBs if available. Although, as a football fan, it will be interesting to see which, if any, of these QBs prove to have the "IT" factor down the road.

I respect your willingness to share your opinion. We have Trubisky, Rudolph and Haskins. So, as fans, we'll initially have to get behind whichever QB emerges as QB1. I think that will be Trubisky. I'm not willing to anoint him (or any of the other QBs currently on the roster) until they prove it. I'll be rooting for that to happen.

As you say, Willis could be spectacular or a bust. That's how the draft operates. Pickett, Corral, Howell, Strong ... any of them could bust. Rarely do you get a "sure thing" at the QB position. Again, I'm not advocating that they pick Willis or any of the QBs that may be available this year. I'd rather they go Davis, or one of the top WRs/CBs if available. Although, as a football fan, it will be interesting to see which, if any, of these QBs prove to have the "IT" factor down the road.

Here’s the thing with Trubisky! He’s somewhat proven he can be successful in the league guiding a crappy Bears team to two playoff appearances and making a pro bowl. Also, his TD/INT ratio not bad at all and he truly played for a blockhead in Nagy who did nothing to enhance Mitch’s play. So there’s proven success there and now if we can provide him with solid coaching, solid game planning, and protection, don’t be surprised to see this flourish here. I’ve been pimping Mitch to be signed by the Steelers since the end of the season and still cannot believe we signed him. He doesn’t have to be great but a word I like to use is solid. I’m excited about the season and hope we can add a quality receiver in the draft to add to his weapons.

he truly played for a blockhead in Nagy who did nothing to enhance Mitch’s play
Now he will play for a blockhead in Tomlin (and Canada) who will do nothing to enhance Mitch's play. MT is on his own...will have to use his own wit and experience. No offensive type folks in this org. to help him along. Mitch will be a rock...an island.

Now he will play for a blockhead in Tomlin (and Canada) who will do nothing to enhance Mitch's play. MT is on his own...will have to use his own wit and experience. No offensive type folks in this org. to help him along. Mitch will be a rock...an island.
Well let’s hold off on Tomlin and Canada and see what happens with a much younger more mobile QB. They may surprise us so m going into this with an objective open mind and giving these two my benefit of the doubt. We shall see!

Ain’t this fun?! 🤣🤣🤣. A whole month to go and then we’ll scrutinize what actually happens till fall. I feel just like Cory Feldman at end of The ‘Burbs….(god I love this street” 😎
Don’t go into a downward spiral like Cory Feldman. I don’t think SN has the power of pulling you up if you do

ben was an undisputed top 3 QB in that draft.

Don’t go into a downward spiral like Cory Feldman. I don’t think SN has the power of pulling you up if you do

Thx buddy! I’m confident I won’t waste what little money I do have on hookers, blow, and spending time with Michael Jackson and Charlie Sheen 😉

• Wow
Reactions: MTC
ben was an undisputed top 3 QB in that draft.
OK ... Willis is an undisputed top 3 QB in this draft. He's still a project. And no, the two draft classes are nowhere near comparable in terms of talent.
And, I'm not saying Ben wasn't talented coming out. Just saying the small school background, coupled with where he was on the depth chart to begin the season, in addition to the way they had him as a game manager for the most part of his rookie year says to me they felt he was a bit of a project. He was raw for the NFL game.

OK ... Willis is an undisputed top 3 QB in this draft. He's still a project. And no, the two draft classes are nowhere near comparable in terms of talent.
And, I'm not saying Ben wasn't talented coming out. Just saying the small school background, coupled with where he was on the depth chart to begin the season, in addition to the way they had him as a game manager for the most part of his rookie year says to me they felt he was a bit of a project. He was raw for the NFL game.
4000 yards passing and almost 70 percent completion percentage to go with 30 some TDs in his last year of college. Not sure that they saw him as necessarily raw or a project. I realize he was from a small school maybe that brought slight concerns who knows. Perhaps their perception was every talented QB takes some time to get settled in. Seems that is how they initially approached it.

Willis doesn't check off any of those boxes.

Everytime I think of him i immediately think of Lost in Space.

Danger danger!

No he isnt.

Brilliant analysis!

Rats should draft Willis if he is there. Then they don't have to pay their RB , QB money. Then it possibly pushes a Davis down to the Steelers. A win win for both clubs.

Here's my prediction that means absolutely nothing, there will be at least 8 quality picks still on the board when the Steelers select at #20, none of them will be a QB, and all will prove more valuable to the team than reaching for a QB.

The first round will be fun or agonizing to watch, depending on your point of view.

What QBs would be available next year?