• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Complete Big Trade With Panthers Sending CB Diontae Johnson For CB Donte Jackson

KentuckySteeler

Reaction score
Dj says goodbye:

“Pittsburgh it’s been real! 5 years ago you brought me in and treated me like family from day one. I will always be grateful for the memories made and relationships I will forever cherish. To my teammates, coaches, staff, and the fans who were there through the good and bad.. thank you for allowing me to grow into the man I am today. 1️⃣8️⃣ out,” Johnson wrote.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
As Skott mentioned, Jackson is fast and was tied as the fastest corner (4.31) at the 2018 combine and taken in the second round. He's really played well, he tour his achilles in nov of 2022 and I think it may have affected his production last year but is fully healed. He had 14 interceptions between 2018 and 2022. He is better than anyone on our roster at CB over the last few years other than JPJ. Only drawback, short arms, 5'10 or 11, 180.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
They consistently take first round talent in the 2nd to 4th round. Character is the cost. Take McConkey in the first unless you can get better with similar character.

What makes you so confident McConkey has good character?

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
The only issue in signing Ridley is Jacksonville. He liked it there and rumour is he's waiting to sign when the NFL new year starts at 4pm tomorrow. The reason is Jacksonville has to give Atlanta a second round pick if Ridley signs before the new year. They only get a third if he signs after 4 tomorrow.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
This deal kinda sucks unless we can draft/sign a high end WR.

I know most of you curmudgeons are still butt hurt after he didn't dive on a fumble, but its not generally smart to trade pro-bowl talent for peanuts. Especially in a position where you are already thin.

When he had a real (operative word) QB, he was averaging 100 receptions and 1,000 yards. How are we going to replace that?

And please no to Tyler Boyd. Haven't you Pitt fans had enough yet?

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
This gives me hope. Props to the HC for doing things that need to be done.
Or it was Omar taking control of the organization. Of course, Tomlin could have finally got a backbone.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Dj says goodbye:

“Pittsburgh it’s been real! 5 years ago you brought me in and treated me like family from day one. I will always be grateful for the memories made and relationships I will forever cherish. To my teammates, coaches, staff, and the fans who were there through the good and bad.. thank you for allowing me to grow into the man I am today. 1️⃣8️⃣ out,” Johnson wrote.
Looks mutual, he wanted to leave. We don't want no hostages

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Like I've said elsewhere.. maybe they have a UFA lined up and they almost certainly will draft someone in this deep draft pool... but its always possible that they are looking at a Guy like Fitzpatrick or Mims on the PS as the answer.. we do have a history of developing guys from there... and both of those guys had enough talent to be 4th and 2nd round picks that have flashed talent before

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score

I know most of you curmudgeons are still butt hurt after he didn't dive on a fumble, but its not generally smart to trade pro-bowl talent for peanuts. Especially in a position where you are already thin.
Unless you are extremely thin at the position you just reinforced, and it isn't just the fumble incident, there's refusing to block, celebrating like 1999 on a touchdown with the team getting blown out, sulking, getting into it with Minka and Trubisky and coaches. His attitude seemed to have taken an abrupt change last year and was getting worse.

steelcan58

Reaction score
Could it be there's going to be a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets in our future?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

When he had a real (operative word) QB, he was averaging 100 receptions and 1,000 yards. How are we going to replace that?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Diontae has never made the Pro Bowl as a WR. His one Pro Bowl was as a returner.
No Pit Homer here btw. I actually am an alum of .... The University of Toledo. And, while I know it makes no sense, I do feel on a different level that DJ has let me down.

SteveA

Reaction score
Do not under-estimate speed in the secondary

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Or it was Omar taking control of the organization. Of course, Tomlin could have finally got a backbone.

It's certainly possible Omar has control. I'd figure Tomlin has his hand in it to some extent.

Either way it's a good move. The team has to be all in on everything regardless of what your role is.

If your end goal is to be the last man standing, then you really can't have it any other way.

If you can't get on board with doing whatever it takes, then you need to move on.

Next move address C&OT on the right side. Man that will take the running game up a notch and open up play action passing. Which they haven't done in a while.

I hope Wilson still has a good deep ball.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing a few reports that the Steelers had quietly given DJ's agent permission to seek a trade. His agent was talking to the Chiefs. However, Omar (wisely) wasn't keen on making life easier for Mahomes.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score

It's not that big of a loss for someone who does half the job and you can't really count on him. He runs pretty routes though. I can't really say much good about his run after the catch.

The Steelers have done really well drafting wideouts. I pray they can get one somewhat mature and only 1/4th crazy/diva and the rest team player...
err make that 1/8th crazy/diva.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Seeing a few reports that the Steelers had quietly given DJ's agent permission to seek a trade. His agent was talking to the Chiefs. However, Omar (wisely) wasn't keen on making life easier for Mahomes.
Smart move Omar. That sounds like DJ wanted a fresh start too.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Johnson did not seem like he wanted to be here so he gets to go to the worst team in the league with a tough QB situation. Best of luck.

Huge holes now at center and wide receiver. Heavy investment early needs to go to the offense.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With the WR room so depleted it concerns me that the team could go WR in RD 1- I remember a Tomlin quote years ago- about another school of thought - more offensive weapons can cover up OL deficiencies. Then I remember Ben getting killed. I remember taking Friermuth over Creed Humphrey.

Center absolutely must be addressed in Round 1

troymania

Reaction score
Jackson is a very good cover guy. Down year last year. recovering from an Achilles tear isn't easy, especially at CB. High-character guy, locker room leader, and Team Captain. 13 interceptions before injury. Blazing fast. The best thing about him he is very good at run support as well. He comes back to form he'll start across from JPJ. You can pick a corner in the middle of the draft. T.J. Tampa, D.J. Brown, Khyree Jackson, Cam Hart. Plus Corey Trice will be healthy this year.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score

I am just hearing this now too, in which case it makes complete sense. Volunteers and such....