• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers OC Matt Canada: “Stick with what we’re doing”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are currently ranked 28th in the NFL in terms of points scored per game at just 16.7. This has many fans and commentators alike wondering what the future of this team looks like and if they will be able to sneak into the playoffs. Should the team change their offense? Offensive coordinator Matt Canada believes there is no reason to panic and that the Steelers are just in a rough patch currently.

I think we’re going to stick with what we’re doing, and obviously that’s not the sexy answer, but we believe we’re on the right track.” Canada told the media. “We’ve got to produce right now. We’re not running away from it or hiding from it, but we have to continue to do what we’re doing. We’ve got to continue to put our guys in position to make plays, which, until we win, we’re not doing well enough. So that falls on me, but we’re not going to try to reinvent the wheel. It’s fundamental football. Everybody’s doing the same stuff. It’s fundamental football. We have to be better and I’ve got to be better.”

The team seems to be in a lull right now and Canada must have something up his sleeve for the upcoming week because as of right now, the team looks dysfunctional and out-of-whack on offense. Canada went on to later say that the team has the players to make a turn-around and he is confident in riding out the rest of the year with those very people. It will be extremely interesting to see how this will play out the rest of the season. With the team currently in last place in the division, something has to turn around quick.

The main thing about what Canada said was a return to the fundamentals in order to get the team on the right track. Just focus on the easier plays that are in the playbook and then go from there. At least, that’s the goal.

This gameplay will hopefully result in a better performance for the Steelers and in a competitive game against the Green Bay Packers who are looking to make another deep playoff run this season.

What do you think of what Canada had to say? Do you agree or disagree, and how should the gameplay change? Let me know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Keep doing what we're doing? Passing 50+ times and running attempts are 15 per game? Having a geriatric QB throwing it 50+ times on a bum elbow? you're putting people in positions to make plays? your offensive line needs help and your anwer is to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds. Where is your multi-millon dollar full back to bring an extra hat to block for your first round draft pick or even....Gasp....Give him carries to keep the LB'ers from keying on Najee.

Keep doing what we're doing. Pffffttt.

Keep doing what we're doing? Passing 50+ times and running attempts are 15 per game? Having a geriatric QB throwing it 50+ times on a bum elbow? you're putting people in positions to make plays? your offensive line needs help and your anwer is to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds. Where is your multi-millon dollar full back to bring an extra hat to block for your first round draft pick or even....Gasp....Give him carries to keep the LB'ers from keying on Najee.

Keep doing what we're doing. Pffffttt.
I would go into the game with a run first attitude. First down ...run. Second down...run. Third down....run. Etc. Then build off of that. **** it. We need to put the run concept into our player's heads. **** it. Can't get any worse than what we are doing right?

Ill keep saying that the bones of the offensive revival are there… when ypu start getting offensive linemen to gel and quit overthinking things….. that is to say right now yousee a lot of guys not picking up the right guy, being late on chips or misreading assignments… tgats all experience stuff… that gets better

As with wrs making route reads… that gets sharper and you see more seperation…
Three years of letting the playbook get stale isn’t going to be fixed in four games…

The Canada offensive stuff is used all over the nfl and college… its not like its unproven.

The run game has to come around
That will open up the deep pass
That will open up the middle of the field

I just think everything hinges on that line getting just a little bit better

I would go into the game with a run first attitude. First down ...run. Second down...run. Third down....run. Etc. Then build off of that. **** it. We need to put the run concept into our player's heads. **** it. Can't get any worse than what we are doing right?
This needed to be the off-season mentality. They had to do this in training camp, the preseason, and practices leading up to the season. They didn’t and instead believed that Harris would fix the running game by himself.

Good inform Zach, thanks

In the mean time Mr. Canada, the losses are adding up. Everybody and their uncle knows the run game needs to improve and 50+ passes a game isn't going to get it done. RUN blocking will not improve if you are not running the ball.

There is ONLY so much trickery that can happen as the opposing "D" will negate the excessive. Running the same plays over and over will not assist an inexperience OL with continuous failure. That OL had 4 preseason games to play along side one another but I also understand playing time to see what you've got. The starters of today didn't even get to play together as a unit. Hell Tomlin was shuffling Dan Moore from left to right tackle all the way to the end. It was like.......OK the season has started so lets start playing the fresh rookies/newbies as a unit. Why didn't this happen sooner like game 3 of the preseason?

So now we are down to this, not changing things up. How about a couple little changes....... like a FB (3 million dollar man), over the middle slants, on center snaps, and more.

I hear the part of needing experience but some help can be attained to get there.

Salute the nation

“I think we’re going to stick with what we’re doing" sounds like the mantra of my son's high school football coach, who is 0-6 this year, and turns every Friday night into Groundhog Day.

We had some nice first-half runs but they were called back due to penalties. That immediately puts us in passing downs. That can't happen this week.

They didn’t and instead believed that Harris would fix the running game by himself.

I don't believe they thought Harris would fix it alone.

They appeared to sincerely have high expectations for guys like Green, Dotson and Banner as run blockers, but it has proven to be a huge miscalculation on the parts of Tomlin and Colbert.

I don't believe they thought Harris would fix it alone.

They appeared to sincerely have high expectations for guys like Green, Dotson and Banner as run blockers, but it has proven to be a huge miscalculation on the parts of Tomlin and Colbert.
I don't know. Rookie centers usually struggle, the coaches were reportedly unhappy with Dotson, and Banner was coming off an ACL injury. I think it was more "hope" than believing those lineman would be the answer.

I don't know. Rookie centers usually struggle, the coaches were reportedly unhappy with Dotson, and Banner was coming off an ACL injury. I think it was more "hope" than believing those lineman would be the answer.

I'd argue the expectations were why Tomlin was so upset with Dotson over the summer.

Rookie centers do usually struggle, but it's been reported that they evaluated Green as an instant starter in the pre-draft process and have used him as such.

I'm not sure how unrealistic it was to expect Banner to be ready to play. His injury occured in week one of last season, so he had a full calendar year to recover. It would have been different had it been a mid to late season injury.

In no way am I supporting how they went about addressing the line. They should have been much more aggressive via trade or FA and should have used one of their first two picks on the unit.

I just feel they liked what they had much more than fans did and expected internal improvement.

They ****** up.

Considering we're starting 6 rookies this year, I think our picks were correctly made. But yes, we need to draft the line high moving forward.

Considering we're starting 6 rookies this year, I think our picks were correctly made. But yes, we need to draft the line high moving forward.
Wouldn’t be averse to a good FA pick up like Wayne Gandy or Jeff Hartings

I'd argue the expectations were why Tomlin was so upset with Dotson over the summer.

Rookie centers do usually struggle, but it's been reported that they evaluated Green as an instant starter in the pre-draft process and have used him as such.

I'm not sure how unrealistic it was to expect Banner to be ready to play. His injury occured in week one of last season, so he had a full calendar year to recover. It would have been different had it been a mid to late season injury.

In no way am I supporting how they went about addressing the line. They should have been much more aggressive via trade or FA and should have used one of their first two picks on the unit.

I just feel they liked what they had much more than fans did and expected internal improvement.

They ****** up.
After a few minutes of the pick announcement, I assumed Freiermuth was a top notch blocking TE, effectively giving them a 6th OL on some plays.

Haven’t seen evidence to say he is great blocker so it remains the head scratcher that it initially was to me.

After a few minutes of the pick announcement, I assumed Freiermuth was a top notch blocking TE, effectively giving them a 6th OL on some plays.

Haven’t seen evidence to say he is great blocker so it remains the head scratcher that it initially was to me.

The pick basically continued their tradition of drafting a receiver in the second round. It's been five straight years now.

I'm not really sure what the hell they're thinking, though I liked Freiermuth as a prospect.

The thing is all of these picks could be amazing in the long run and play poorly this year… rookie starters should have earned it not been given it by default

The pick basically continued their tradition of drafting a receiver in the second round. It's been five straight years now.

I'm not really sure what the hell they're thinking, though I liked Freiermuth as a prospect.
Agreed.

i wonder how much better things could've been with Creed Humphrey locking down the C position. That one thing coulda changed the whole dynamic.

I see, throwing to Najee on 4th down and long with no blockers is putting your guy in a position to make a play. Yep, just has to juke out 5 guys and make a play, just how Canada drew it up.

I see, throwing to Najee on 4th down and long with no blockers is putting your guy in a position to make a play. Yep, just has to juke out 5 guys and make a play, just how Canada drew it up.
I'm not sure how you get by that play call or the vault was empty comment after. Everyone just has to be thinking wtf at that point.

The reality?

Whatever is going to happen will happen and there's nothing we can do about it.

If this is the offense for the year, they're not changing ****. They never do.

Just embrace the suck. It's not worth the frustration.

Considering that the Steelers are 1-3, maybe some of those 6 rookies aren't good enough to be NFL starters yet.